View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i think you missed the point. i never said its about how technical the song is. its about knowing what is behing your music. what makes it that way. there is a whole science behind it that takes much more skill then the average player can understand.

i was simply trying get out the point that a musician is someone who really knows their music... not just plays.

you don't have to be good to put strong emotions into your music. listen to ben harper!! he isnt good at guitar!

i think you are very wrong to say that music isn't about technical aspects becasue that is what music is about. those of you who don't think music isn't about playing things different and making it technical or knowing what is behind it truely have NO respect for composers and are a disgrace to the word musician. do you think Bach thought that there was no point to knowing what is behind his music? you guys are right. we don't need to know theory... we only wouldn't have most the amazing classical peices that are famous today... have fun stuck in a rut on the pentatonic scales and being a "musician" because you don't know what music is about. its not just about playing and feel. that is just one aspect of music. and to talk down about a musician who knows about theory and can "shred" just shows you are narrow minded. i challage those of you who don't know about music theory to write a 1 and a half hour long epic that tells a story and has just as much feel.

the problem is those of you who are saying that "you don't need to be technially good and shredding is worthless" are really just narrow minded. those people who are into the types of music like shredding can really feel the music and realize that the person playing has great feel and isn't just playing. you have to realize they are going to think the SAME thing about simple music like damiens.

being able to play by ear is a skill that isnt easy either. soem people can get it naturally, but i would put a thousand dollars that those of you posting who saying "you don't have to be technically good to be a musician" to come and prove that. sit down and listen to a technical peice that takes musician ship and learn it by ear. then come and tell me music theory is worthless. know music theory makes figuring out songs by ear soo much easier. i've been trained well and have transcribe bethoveens 5th 1st violin part to guitar along with the song Night on Bald Mountain 1st violin part onto guitar. you tell me you don't have to know music to do things like that then you aren't a musician.

if you don't belive in theory you are a musician. you are a guitars, drummer, bassist, or whatever instrument you play. because a musician would be embarressed to have that word taken and used by someone who can just play. just becasue you don't like technical playing like vai or becker or petrucci doesn't mean they don't have feel. its a different type of feel that others who aren't into that style can't understand and its just like that for those who don't like more mellow music.

point to make.

a musician would't say you dont need knowlage, becasue a musician should know and understand what they are doing or atleast do their best to understand. a REAL musician is open enough to know about other styles of music and that its all subject to opinion on the style when it comes to feel.
be open minded. not close minded. be a guitarist and play with lost of feel. or be a musician and realize that music is not only beautiful on the outside, but on the inside too.

oh yeah. and tell phish, or widesperad panic, or anyother jam band that can actually play that you don't need to be good at your instrument to play. you just have to have feel. i bet their 10mins long jams would sound GREAT after listening to a whole album with one type of scale.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote