Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #61
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Can anyone seed the two France gigs please?

Thanks for the PDF. This is amazing insight into the troubled mind of an artistic genius.

I'm glad he is at peace with himself. Although, I don't see Lisa reading this and then start returning his phone calls. Actually I think she might dig her heels in because of the breach of privacy. But Damien probably knew that and figured it would be better to just get it off his chest.

I wonder if Tomo and Shane are taking his calls either?

I don't want him to push another album through. Especially a collaborative one if itvwill sound anything like making noise. I'd rather him wait and put a band together again. Find another Lisa. Find new inspiration. Stop forcing inspiration by travelling to Spain or writing songs about trees with actors. Maybe he should join a band as a special guest like Jack white or Dave grohl do with other bands. Just to expand his music range and knowledge. I don't know maybe not but I think his songs would suffer if he continues to look back instead of forward.

Good luck Damien. We are all rooting for you.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #62
cille
creepycute

Exclamation

First page, second column:
Quote:
"With his shock of unkempt hair, PATCHWORK SHIRT and holey sweater"
YAYAYAY! He's still keeping it real with the patchwork. ;D

Ok, haven't read any more than this yet, just had to mention it...
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #63
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
the marlay park phone call seems so desperate now...
very good point and yes
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #64
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
First page, second column:
YAYAYAY! He's still keeping it real with the patchwork. ;D

Ok, haven't read any more than this yet, just had to mention it...

i knew you or melissa or, even, cali would make some comment on this. and i´m glad you did reading that description made think of you, ladies, i swear
Old 12-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #65
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

funny how this thread is still entitled "possible new damien interview". maybe it's all made up by someone reading the igloo for years. damo-conspiracy anyone?
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #66
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Woah, was not expecting that! I thought it was just going to be one of those quick little interviews that really give no information - you know, just, "Yeah, I've been taking some time off, getting my life in order" kind of things.

That's cool that he's taken up sailing! Maybe he can get together with Jimmy Buffet for a sailing/singing adventure - now that would be a combo, one of the most laid-back people in the world with one of the most intense!
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #67
cille
creepycute

I am so glad to get his side of it all as well. And that he has learned from things too. Go Damo.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #68
Swedish Professor
Eskimo skiier

Omg. I have a lump in my throat now. It feels so good to read this, to know what happened. I always dreamt of seeing them together in a gig and i thought it would come true. I was as well at the munich gig. I thought it was good, missed Lisa of course, but I still liked it.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #69
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Island View Post
funny how this thread is still entitled "possible new damien interview". maybe it's all made up by someone reading the igloo for years. damo-conspiracy anyone?
In my defence, when the first snippet came out I had no clue the actualy article would follow so soon!
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #70
expectingrain
Eskimo Baby

“I love her so much. And I love her so much that I love that she hasn’t spoken to me..."

Sounds like reverse psychology to me. Come on Lisa! Answer the man's calls!
expectingrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #71
Rai
Eskimontologist

^More like Come on, Damien, get a grip and move on. That train has left the station.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #72
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
^More like Come on, Damien, get a grip and move on. That train has left the station.
couldn't agree more...........
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #73
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Can anyone seed the two France gigs please?

Thanks for the PDF. This is amazing insight into the troubled mind of an artistic genius.

I'm glad he is at peace with himself. Although, I don't see Lisa reading this and then start returning his phone calls. Actually I think she might dig her heels in because of the breach of privacy. But Damien probably knew that and figured it would be better to just get it off his chest.

I wonder if Tomo and Shane are taking his calls either?

I don't want him to push another album through. Especially a collaborative one if itvwill sound anything like making noise. I'd rather him wait and put a band together again. Find another Lisa. Find new inspiration. Stop forcing inspiration by travelling to Spain or writing songs about trees with actors. Maybe he should join a band as a special guest like Jack white or Dave grohl do with other bands. Just to expand his music range and knowledge. I don't know maybe not but I think his songs would suffer if he continues to look back instead of forward.

Good luck Damien. We are all rooting for you.
it must be the holidays but I completely concur...................he needs to find his way so that it isn't contrived - that was pretty stunning on 9!

I was just saying earlier in a convo the most depressing thing out of this interview is I do not see any hope for anything interesting in any time in the near future............thank goodness we have a new david ford cd coming out soon.............

oh and sure good luck damien!!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #74
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, dr. Love.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #75
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I'll just go and stop worrying about the bomb.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #76
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

I totally see where he's coming from with 9, and that's starting to be like it is with this third record. Once you become famous it's almost like the world sees it as you owe it to them to always be on top- always make more albums, do more tours, more movies, write more books. But what about when you want to slow down or stop? I'd much rather him take all the time in the world he needs to work on an album- or even move on to something else- than to be tortured and made miserable by management and media and all that crap. Sure I'd love for a new album to be released, and I know he has fans and all, but I also respect the fact that he's a person and has a life.

However, I do think a sailboat tour sounds like a lot of fun!!

And I understand what he means about remixes too! I've gone through some of these remixes released on Itunes and they're just TERRIBLE!
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #77
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

sooooo i finally got around to reading it and wow... That was a lot... And it's scary because I feel like I can relate to the way he feels a lot. no i haven't gone through the same **** but some things i definitely relate to a lot...

But wow... That was just really open and generous damien. it was definitely nice to hear what happened from his point of view and definitely sad... I hope lisa reads it and maybe talks to him more and they can at least be friends again... It's amazing how strong his feelings are for him and that they were involved so deeply!! and that a lot of the songs are about each other!!! so much to scramble my brain over!! woww!!

I admire that man even more for opening up like that. It kinda reminds me of Van Morrison and how he never wanted to become famous....
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #78
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

That is such a massive info dump. Wow.

I think when we were all first introduced to these songs, it was useful to not know the backstory, and not turn this into "ooh, they're singing about each other." I'm not sure I'd have been as attached to the music if I'd been focusing on that. But at this point in time? Fascinating stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
You also need to take that whole article with a grain of salt. Damien absolutely has a reason for saying all of that more than "I'm just feeling really open right now" (or whatever that line is). He's too smart to just casually have given that interview.
As much as he's a reluctant businessman, he's been a pretty good one. I think he's reintroducing himself to the world a bit, generating some buzz among fans and readers before announcing... well, something.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #79
cille
creepycute

Yeah yeah yeah, Damien and Lisa ok, but actually what I find the most interesting is that he confirms the feeling I (and many people I guess?) had about 9. That it was just something he had to get out there, but not necessarily for artistic reasons.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #80
wittyallusion
Eskimo Baby

Nonetheless, artists do undervalue their own work sometimes. Even if 9 was something the band just had to get out there, it still has some absolutely solid tracks. My plays of it always have to go to "Elephant."

Back in on-topic-ness: Can someone make a movie about this now?
wittyallusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #81
zaphir
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyallusion View Post
Nonetheless, artists do undervalue their own work sometimes. Even if 9 was something the band just had to get out there, it still has some absolutely solid tracks. My plays of it always have to go to "Elephant."

Back in on-topic-ness: Can someone make a movie about this now?

I've always thought of "Once" as being inspired by the story of damien and lisa when nothing has been confirmed before about their relationship.
zaphir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #82
cille
creepycute

^:d
Old 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #83
Samart
Nothing unusual...

I read this late at night before go sleeping. I was like : jaysus... ouch !! Like if Mike Tayson uppercuted me.
Still appreciate the guy, and it have nothing to do with pity or compassion.
It gave me some new angles to think about his until now music.
It also teached me one more time the commonsense of not playing with his own feelings.
If you really love someone, just tell her/him.

Still supporting/waiting for anything new coming. Whatever the months, years or decades. But I hope he do not intend to wait till the end of the century to bring us a new album for you and me...

Last edited by Samart; 12-24-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #84
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
Yeah yeah yeah, Damien and Lisa ok, but actually what I find the most interesting is that he confirms the feeling I (and many people I guess?) had about 9. That it was just something he had to get out there, but not necessarily for artistic reasons.
Yeah, I agree with that. I love individual tracks on the album, but the album as a whole didn't really grab me the same way O did - or even come remotely close to reaching that level. I'm glad he's taking his time with the next one...
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #85
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Next we're going to read an interview with Lisa, wherein she'll reveal that she lived with a yoga instructor, her father teaches the clarinet, her real name is "Amie," first met Damo at a bar but had a boyfriend at the time, worked as a checker in a grocery store, has an ex-lover in Prague, and would just love to get boned, stoned, or have a room like no one else.

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #86
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Or maybe those things refer to Shane

Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #87
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
Next we're going to read an interview with Lisa, wherein she'll reveal that she lived with a yoga instructor, her father teaches the clarinet, her real name is "Amie," first met Damo at a bar but had a boyfriend at the time, worked as a checker in a grocery store, has an ex-lover in Prague, and would just love to get boned, stoned, or have a room like no one else.
And hopefully he will make a song telling us how it was with Lisa reading him the story of O...that will be so much fun ;-)
Old 12-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #88
Cerque
Resident Irishman

HOLY ****

this is the best way to end my night.

Damien, I love you.

This explains so much. God I wish I had been born 15 years earlier so i would have joined this band and gotten with Lisa instead and treated her better.

I completely understand Damien.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #89
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:

I dunno about you but if i was Damo I would still bei n love with her too.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #90
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM View Post
and would just love to get boned, stoned, or have a room like no one else.
uh...that song was actually about his mother, duh.