Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

Default Damien plays a concert in Kulturkirken Jakob (Oslo, Norway) on August 24th

today there were news about this concert in Oslo, as it was posted on Damien's official Facebook page. Kulturkirken Jakob literally means "the culture church Jakob". the church is located in downtown Oslo. the last time Damien played in Oslo was in 2007 at the Sentrum Scene venue (I was there, it was my first proper gig!) - and the last time he played in Norway was in 2010 (Sommerfesten at the Giske island). tickets are available here: http://www.billettservice.no/event/d...lletter/366735 and they became available at 9 AM this morning. not sure how the capacity is but I do know that every venue concert Damien has done in Norway has sold out before the concert(s).
malakitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

oh my, if it weren't so expensive i'd go again.

The Firenze gig was just one of the highlights of the tour that makes me wanna see him play again..Since he plays stockholm the day after there probably wont be one of the neat aftershows..but still compelling.
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

Chrysler:

it is sold out already. people are advertising their need for tickets. luckily I bought a ticket yesterday. I'm always fascinated when he sings.

Norwegian NOK prices are expensive, yes. there is no doubt about that.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

The flight is the most expensive part :/
anyone who pays me the round-trip flight will get a ticket to the show
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

im going to oslo ^^
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler View Post
im going to oslo ^^
man, i'm coming too!
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

that's just insane
You headin for stockholm as well?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´m glad for you guys... and for us, since we´ll have good reporters there
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler View Post
that's just insane
You headin for stockholm as well?
damn this is sold out. but a girl i've met in roma for glen's concert last year told me she bought two tickets instead of one, and asked me if i were interested by her extra ticket on monday. at that time i didnt know my schedules. but now i'm definitevely free. i just need her to give me the OK and i'll go see damo on 24th and lisa in antwerp, belgium the next day
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Beauseant
Little green

If there'll be an aftershow, would someone please ask him what about the song "Forgotten deers"? (that misheard mistake makes me laugh every time )
It came up in my shuffle yesterday morning and I forgot what a great song it really is.
Beauseant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseant View Post
If there'll be an aftershow, would someone please ask him what about the song "Forgotten deers"? (that misheard mistake makes me laugh every time )
It came up in my shuffle yesterday morning and I forgot what a great song it really is.
I wonder what will happen with that song and others like 'you shouldnt be here, stone,' is that it my friend' and 'beast and beauty". seems like Fool and insane have re-emerged from the past along with new one 'box' , but these others, including 'sand' have dissapeared from live shows lately
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

the culture church has a Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/kulturkirken. 470 tickets were put out for sale.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Glad we have some fantastic tapers hitting this one.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB3H...hannel&list=UL

Sand. He didn't sing the "I just want to be here tonight" part ;[
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

last night was truly wonderful. he sang "Sand", which is one of my very favourites. he opened with "The Professor" and ended with "Cold Water" and "Hallelujah". before "Cold Water" and "Hallelujah" he made Maria Mena (Norwegian singer/songwriter) join him on stage, and they sang. I didn't know that she was there and it turned out he asked her without being in touch beforehand. they are two of my favourite musicians. now my only other wish is that Ingrid Olava and Damien make a song together (or that Ingrid asks him to do vocals on one of her songs) - hopefully a girl can dream. then there was an encore, which ended with "Cheers Darlin'" and a bottle of wine. it was hilarious and there was a woman and a man from the audience that came up to join Damien for the role play.

he played "Rootless Tree", "Baby Sister", "Coconut Skins", "The Box" ("Wild and Free"), "Back to Her Man", "Delicate" and "Elephant" among others. don't remember the correct order of the setlist. anyway, there was also "Volcano" and "Amie", and I'm sure there are others who remember the entirety of the setlist.

it was quite hot in the church but everyone was seated so I felt like I had a good view even though I wasn't in the front row. when I travelled back home I was a very warm and happy girl. I've read elsewhere that there were several who felt the urge to open a bottle of wine after the concert.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Oh I did request Sand in Italy, and he said he didn't remember and had to practice it... guess he did in the end

more surprised at baby Sister being in the setlist. Did someone request/shout it??

did he make people sing to Back to her Man?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

borneoman: I sure am happy that he decided to do "Sand"!

as for "Baby Sister", he started singing it with no introduction so I don't think it was requested.

with "Back to Her Man", he told the audience how he had written the song, elaborated on how he had started singing it, and then he began singing. there were people who joined him when he sang "Volcano" (there's a video from someone who joined the group who sang with him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkSYk24yt0Y. plus this video of "The Box"/"Wild and Free": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sufz-nIM8Ik). embedding isn't working for me, so I put up links instead.

plus, here are a couple of instagram pictures from another person in audience:
http://instagram.com/p/OuT_uqr0YB/
http://instagram.com/p/OuO8AuL0UX/
http://instagram.com/p/OuP0ynL0VI/

Last edited by malakitt; 08-25-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

Heres the setlist

01: The Professor & La Fille Danse
02: Delicate
03: Baby Sister
04: Coconut Skins
05: Amie
06: Rootless Tree
07: The Box
08: Sand
09: 9 Crimes
10: Elephant
11: Volcano +
12: Cold Water > Hallelujah *
13: Cannonball #
14: Back to your Man
15: The Blower’s Daughter
16: Cheers Darlin’

* with Maria Mena
+ with audience
# unplugged

Cheers Darlin was hilarious - Would have been a nice headline "Damien Rice makes two people drunk in church and lets the guy pull down his pants on stage"
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
genia
Eskimo Friend

Thanks for the setlist....much appreciated. he sang Sand..oh, did he say anything beforehand ?
genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #20
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #21
Beauseant
Little green

The absence of "I remember" is weird, but he did it in all the gigs so far, so I'm guessing he wanted to let it go a bit...

Also, singing "Cold water" with someone else is kind of weird. He sort of ignored this song at the "9" tour, so I thought it was kind of a weak point connected to lisa.
But than again, you can never know, right?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

Beausant: I agree that singing "Cold Water" with someone else is kind of weird, especially since Lisa is no longer a part of his music and band. still, during his two last concerts in Norway (the Træna festival in 2008 and the Sommerfesten festival in 2010) he performed two songs with Norwegian female singers. at Træna he did "Cold Water" with Ingrid Olava

at Sommerfesten he did "9 Crimes" with Maria Mena (the same singer that he sang with at this concert):
I think he somehow knew that Maria was at his concert and wanted to play this song with her, because he asked her to join him on stage.

Last edited by malakitt; 08-28-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: just a tiny grammar error
Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Beauseant
Little green

Oh right! I forgot that Træna gig. (How amazing it must've been, to hear him in a cave!)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakitt View Post

at Sommerfesten he did "9 Crimes" with Maria Mena (the same singer that he sang with at this concert):
I think he somehow knew that Maria was at his concert and wanted to play this song with her, because he asked her to join her on stage.
She played either right before or right after at the festival - I remember the stream experience so well
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

Beausant: I think hearing him sing in a cave must be a magical thing. hearing him sing in the church last Friday I felt moved in ways I haven't in a long time. and I'm not religious. just got the feeling that Damien's voice and a venue with good acoustic conditions made me feel the music rather than analyzing it, at least for those two hours.

cille: yes, Maria played before him. such a beautiful experience, even through the stream. I think all the artists who were present on that festival gathered several times during the time they were on the island.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #26
genia
Eskimo Friend

Are there no other Videos of this show? That's unusual....did he tell the crowd not to record?...Did anyone notice any professional cameraman recording? any words bfore Sand?
LOL...sorry I am a very curious person.....
genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #27
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by genia View Post
Are there no other Videos of this show? That's unusual....did he tell the crowd not to record?...Did anyone notice any professional cameraman recording? any words bfore Sand?
LOL...sorry I am a very curious person.....
nope sorry. i was first row, my camera ready to use, but as soon i showed it up the security guy firmly ask me to shut it down. i managed to take some pictures thats it
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #29
matsmorot
Eskimo Baby

Well hello!

First of all... Wow! I registered at this forum the day after the show in Oslo, and TODAY I got accepted. I've been waiting quite a while to be heard here...

So, the good stuff:
My first Damien Rice concert. I practically waited 9 years for this. And WHAT A CONCERT it was!

Me and my girlfriend were there early and were counting on getting some great seats up front. Unfortunately, I had a shoulder bag containing quite a large camera, as did my gf, and they of course stopped us, telling us we had to hand in our bags... Behind us people were storming the church. We finally got seated on the third row to the far right side. Quite close, but we both were upset. Not just because we missed the best seats, but our bags containing expensive equipment would be very easy for someone to steal.

Bad start, but as soon as Damien started playing, our bags were of no concern to us. It was pure magic! And it just got better and better the longer the concert played out. After two hours and two, until then never heard songs, we were deeply moved.

After the show we went to the nearest bar for some coffee and beer. About an hour later I spotted Damien, with his guitar on his back, and a small group of fans walking just outside the window were we sat. I of course raised my glass to him and nodded a gentle "cheers". He smiled back at me. I was in love. Again.

Some seconds later I said to my girlfriend "-What have we got to lose?", and we started following them. Turned out they were entering the bar next door, and so did we. Damien and his friends, including Maria Mena and no one less than Lars Winnerbäck, a famous swedish singer/songwriter, sat in the corner, and you could easily spot about 15-20 fans in their whereabouts. We placed ourselves in the bar, with a clear view of their table.

Now I'm quite a shy person and didn't want to confront him and get star struck and make an ass out of myself. Although a part of me really wanted to... About 45 minutes before closing time (which was 3 a.m.) Damien was getting ready to leave. It was now or never. When he got to where we were sitting, I finally asked him for a hug. He smiled and said "-Sure!", in his delightful irish accent. While hugging him, I said "-I've been loving you for nine years...", and I absolutely can not remember a thing he said after that. Haha!

Well, I for sure will remember that day and night as one of the greatest of my life.

And finally... Who want's my bootleg of the concert? =) You'll find it here:
http://matsmorot.se/damien.php

I should mention that it was recorded with an iPhone and a stereo microphone in my chest pocket. If you listen to it with head phones you can actually hear my heart beating, fast, at some points when Damien was talking. There's a little story to that as well.

Last edited by matsmorot; 10-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
matsmorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
Beauseant
Little green

Thanks for the review! He sounds like a charming person
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM
riodejanero
This message has been deleted by riodejanero.