The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Default Central Park Setlist

Central Park SummerStage, New York, New York

One Set:
Cannonball*, Volcano, Blowers Daugther part 2, Woman Like a Man, Accidental Babies^, The Professor, Rootless Tree$, Nine Crimes$^, Blower's Daughter$, I Remember$

Notes:
co-bill with Fiona Apple
* Damien solo
^ Damien on the rhodes
$ with Joel Shearer on guitar

This was the first time we have seen Damien since Bonnaroo 2004 -- we felt like we were due for a Damien show, so we were definitely excited to see him at Central Park. And while I liked David Garza, he only played three songs so we did not have to wait too long for Damien to come out. Not waiting too long was nice, as it was hot, and the sold out crowd certainly packed it in there. We were actually situated on the right-hand side of the stage at first, but as I looked at the set-up, I realized that Lisa and maybe Damien would be left of center, so we shifted and found a great spot just two people back from the rail, to the left-hand side.

While it was not the best Damien Rice show that I have seen, his set certainly did not disappoint. It was played, and Lisa was clearly having a good time, so that made me smile. It was also good to hear some (relatively) new songs live for the first time. I really like Rootless Tree, and I thought that Nine Crimes had a nice little jam as part of it. And while I initially did not like Accidental Babies when I first heard a recording of it, it was good to see it live and see Damien play the rhodes and sing those emotional lyrics. (The crowd was quite respectful for that song, which was nice to see.) There was a nice little (new?) jam out of the end of Accidental that was new to my ears. Also new was a bit tacked on to the end of The Professor; something Damien sung in French. The addition of Joel for the last few songs was good to see, as I liked his guitar playing with Pedestrian (even if I was not a fan of their songs), but he needed to be turned up as I really could only hear his contributions on I Remember. And speaking of I Remember, it was the only song to be really drawn out -- and I was hoping that it would have been drawn out even more. And while it was a bit odd not seeing Tomo behind the drums, Earl Harvin did well and held his own.

As a criticism, Damien just seemed a little too tight or unemotional. It was almost as though he was playing for the industry reps or something. None of the looseness and openness that we witnessed at Bonnaroo or many times before that. Or, maybe he knew he just had an hour to work with so he cut out any sort of banter. It is tough to put my finger on it -- you just know that it is an odd night when you see Shane smile more than Damien, lol.

Like I said, it was great to see Damien live after two years. And it is always a pleasure to see and hear Lisa. (As a side note, it was nice to see Lisa and Vyvienne on the same side of the stage, next to each other!) Let's hope for a solo tour this Fall where he can play a full set in a nice indoor venue.

Thanks for reading. I hope to get some photos uploaded somewhere so I will try to let everyone know.
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

thank you jwelsh! (i remember you from before.. 'architecture is frozen music' right?) i think it would have been cool to see damien in central park if it weren't so damn hot right now.. come to think of it this whole tour has been HOT i'd be surprised if he hasn't lost weight at the end of it all from sweating to death every night..

enjoyed reading your review and look forward to pics when you get the chance
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Yah, that was me. Thanks for remembering! I actually could not remember my last log-in, so I created a new one (sorry). Hence, the one post.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

ha i thought it was you, nice to see you again! i know what you mean about damien's stage presence though.. he just seemed a little more restrained (or something) but i'm chalking it up to it being such a short set and not his own tour.. in a strange way it's almost like he's being polite to fiona by not pulling out all the stops knowing she has to follow him

glad you had a good time at the show!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Ashley
Eskimo Friend

Damien in Central Park on a summer evening sounds lovely (if it wasn't unbearably hot). Nice to be hearing about Lisa now too, on these last few gigs
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I'm so impressed that Joel was there. Pedestrian played in Santa Monica last night - they went on at 11pm. Which means Joel spent most of today on his way to NYC for this gig. Impressive.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
matthew1234
Eskimo Baby

Other than loving the show, I have two exact opposite reactions from the original poster.

First off, Damien was very emotional during the performance. (How could you see him perform Woman Like a Man last night, or I Remember, and not characterize that as "incredibly emotional"? It was, by any definition.)

Second, Lisa sounded great. But, I didn't feel she was "having a good time." She looked miserable. It was great to see her sing the emotional part of The Professor -- she did a good job of being pissed.

Lastly, what supposed "Industry People" would he play for? He has already passed through that silliness.

Matt
matthew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1234
Other than loving the show, I have two exact opposite reactions from the original poster.

First off, Damien was very emotional during the performance. (How could you see him perform Woman Like a Man last night, or I Remember, and not characterize that as "incredibly emotional"? It was, by any definition.)

Second, Lisa sounded great. But, I didn't feel she was "having a good time." She looked miserable. It was great to see her sing the emotional part of The Professor -- she did a good job of being pissed.

Lastly, what supposed "Industry People" would he play for? He has already passed through that silliness.

Matt
Thanks for writing back, Matt. Like I said, I certainly enjoyed the show and was happy to see Damien after two years. And I had goosebumps for most of the evening. That accounts for something . . .

But when I said "unemotional," maybe I should have said "non-engaged." Yes, Accidental Babies and Woman Like a Man were sung with incredible passion and feeling behind the song. But there was this feeling that he was not enjoying what he was doing up there. There was no positive emotions, that I could witness. He did not seem relaxed, or having fun. The songs were just not allowed to breathe.

Lisa, on the other hand, was smiling, singing along to songs even when it was not "her turn," interacting with Vyv. She was swaying back and forth, not standing still. And both she and Vyvienne were watching David Garza as well as Fiona, supporting the other artists. She just seemed more "into it" than at other shows . . .

I guess the "industry" comment was just another way of saying that the show seemed tight and too the point. Nothing light-hearted, nothing loose, no talking, opening up with Cannonball and Volcano.

Please, don't get me wrong, I didn't want to be anywhere other than Central Park last night. Like I said, I had goosebumps. But Damien wears his emotions on his sleeve and might have been having a "night." The band was more into it than he was, from where I was standing. After eight shows over three or four years, I simply think I can make some comparisons . . .
Old 07-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
kkraft
Eskimo Baby

jwelsh -

I'm in agreement with you - i think disengaged is a good word for it. i saw him at jones beach on saturday, and it was the same thing. and it seems to make sense that he only had an hour to work with, and wanted to be respectful. i was expecting more banter and such in between songs like i've heard on so many live recordings though I agree it was still a great show. let's keep our fingers crossed for a solo tour!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

I'm pretty sure the bit added in the Professor was in English, but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

I really dug Rootless Tree and Nine Crimes. Both were a bit rough (especially the latter), but I get the sense that if they're going to become staples, they'll be highlights of shows.

First time seeing a full Damien show (saw him at the Carnegie Hall benefit in March, which was just two songs), got a good spot, and was blown away by how the volume feels. I'd hear plenty of live recordings before this, and I'd always been impressed, but when you're standing not far from the speakers, it's a really physical experience. Just... wow. I agree with the first poster - an indoor show would be just awesome, I think. Maybe at Carnegie or Lincoln Center - those places probably have the best sound in the city.

I'm so, so glad Lisa was there. Wouldn't have been the same without her.

I liked Earl Harvin - it sounded to me like he added some new bits to the drum parts.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
soitisgirl
Eskimo Baby

I loved the Central park show. MUCH better than the Jones Beach show. I was about 3rd row center/a little to the left and this is the closest I have been at a Damien show (so far). Damien was great. Perhaps a bit disengaged, yes, but I also think he had a tough time limit to work with. (But yeah, a little more emotion on, say, Cannonball, would have been welcome. I get that.) He still managed to play 10 wonderful songs though and did an amazing job on Woman Like A Man. That one especially had everyone around me into it, even those who weren't very familiar with Damien (how is that possible?)... It was a lovely night, and I'm so glad this show was after the lame Jones Beach show (that venue was awful, sound was bad, and the crowd sucked, very low energy, and lots of empty seats up front). I can't wait to see Damien again at a solo show where he can really get into it. And I also agree at how wonderful it was to have Lisa there; she was great.
soitisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
matthew1234
Eskimo Baby

Yes, disengaged sounds legit.

My girlfriend and I both went to Jones Beach and Central Park. She seemed to think there was "wierd energy" between Damien and Lisa.

She pointed out that he didn't look at her the whole time. During either show.

- Matt
matthew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #13
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Thought it was a good show but was for me not near the best that I have seen of his. As a matter of course it was too short, many of the people had little idea who he was or what he was about and I for one am ready for a tour based on new material. For me it was great to have Lisa there. She is magical. Was a fun night and met some cool people, particularly the girls next to me....theresa and maura..if you guys are out there....hello!
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:00 AM   #14
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmigliaccio
I'm pretty sure the bit added in the Professor was in English, but I couldn't make out what he was saying.
I disagree -- it definitely was a 'new' verse in french... I was singing along with the usual ones and was quite surprised when he broke out into a new one... sadly, I can't remember any of what was said (and my French is not what it used to be)

Very odd not to have Tomo there -- a fantastic show, one I'd been greatly anticipating ever since it was announced. I'm hoping for a solo tour later this fall / winter or early next spring... he's such an amazing performer, Lisa is truly an ethereal angel, Shane SMILED at me, Vyv was wonderful....

Can't wait til tomorrow night in Camden...
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #15
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Well, here are some of my photos. They have been uploaded to Snap Fish.

Enjoy!

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=201...=SYE/otsi=SALB
Old 07-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #16
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

wow.. you took some beautiful shots there!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #17
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
wow.. you took some beautiful shots there!
Thank you. So glad we switched places . . . It worked out really well. I was staring at the stage from our original spot, and when I figured out where the mics were, I knew we had to move . . .
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #18
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Great to have you back, J!

We missed you.

Give my best to your lovely wife, too.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #19
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Great to have you back, J!

We missed you.

Give my best to your lovely wife, too.
I was hoping you would join the conversation, Spamlet. Thanks for the reply! It is good to be back -- good to have Damien shows that we can attend, you know? (Esp. now that Laura and I have moved to New York City.)

Hope you are doing well. We should touch base sometime. Drop me an email if you find some time . . .
Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #20
god
Eskimo Baby

Default Gigging

I want to add to this posting. I was about 7 people back right in front of DAMIEN. Only my 2nd time seeing him although my first (Australia late 2005) I had never heard 1 of his songs. I only attended on the reviews I read about him.

Have to say this concert (2005) rates up there as one of the best concerts I have seen in the last 5 years. Now that is saying something considering I go to on average 150 gigs a year. Yes, 2-4 nights a week.

In response to Damien's mood/character/whatever you want to call it. When going to gigs sometimes those gigs have supports that you know are better (in your mind) than the headliner. The support act usually doesn't give it everything in my own opinion simply for respect (as mentioned earlier in this thread) to the headline act for giving them opportunity to play to an audience you may not normally get to play too.

This of course is only an opinion and by know ways fact.

Damien was very good at Central Park but my thoughts are that no artist wants to show up the main act.
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #21
Trixalia
Silly Rabbit

Was at the Central Park show and loved every minute of Damien! Although this show didn't compare to seeing him at the Beacon Theater 2 years ago I thought he sounded wonderful. Lisa and Vivanne were certainly an asset to the set. My friend remarked on how Lisa stood swaying with her hands folded in front of her so innocently belting out the lyrics "wanna get f*@ked inside out". Love how he ended with I Remember.

I wish I had been closer to the stage but ended up in the center halfway from the stage. It was a great view until everyone stood up! I don't know how he could stand to wear that jacket during the performance as hot as it was!

Funny how many Eskimos were probably there but no one knows each other.
Trixalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #22
Trixalia
Silly Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh8
Well, here are some of my photos. They have been uploaded to Snap Fish.

Enjoy!

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=201...=SYE/otsi=SALB

Those are some amazing shots! Thanks for sharing them.
Trixalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #23
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Funny you should say that, J!

I wasn't able to attend any of these shows because I'm finishing graduate acting school in Alabama.

However, come September I'll also be living in the NYC area so yes, we definitely must keep in touch!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:03 AM   #24
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

This was my first Damien show and I thought it was simply amazing. I sang everyone he had and I was the annoying little ****er that screamed Prague but he never played it.

By the way, those images that were posted up were AMAZING!!

Last edited by VolcanoesMeltUDown; 08-04-2006 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Adding text
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #25
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcanoesMeltUDown
By the way, those images that were posted up were AMAZING!!
Thanks for the kind words.

(Anyone watching The Frames via the Lollapalooza webcast?)
Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #26
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

I wish I had been closer to the stage but ended up in the center halfway from the stage. It was a great view until everyone stood up! I don't know how he could stand to wear that jacket during the performance as hot as it was!

we must have been right near each other. i was also about halfway back center. i was the guy in the pink floyd t-shirt who called out for lonelilly...also thought was great but not the magic we had at the beacon.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #27
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

the above ^ was for trixalia