Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Default Come on already.

I'm getting really fecking sick of being teased by damien. I understand if he doesn't want to be forced into releasing an album that he doesn't like. But it has been 6 months since Iceland. He did this before with barcelona. At least let us know what's going on. It's almost like he is contemptous of his fans. Maybe it's because we are getting so much enjoyment from his music and he endures so much pain to create it.

I would rather have no news and the album come out when it does than to have all these teases that go nowhere.

He could at least go on some mini tours if he doesn't want to release an album. No better way to come up with new material than playing a ton.

I guess I'm just hurt that he could care less about his fans.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

Nah... he mustn't publish before mid-year. I'd just get new ideas and never get any recordings done within the next 2 years or so. Keep it back, Damo, even if you finished it! Just for me! Please!
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Haven't you ever started a project and just gave up on it for some reason? I know I've started things before and not finished, and let some people down in the process but in the end you just have to do what it right for you sometimes.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

I agree that Damo shouldn't rush things, but saying that there would be no harm in a 5-date Irish tour or something similarly as low-scale. He could even do it with all proceeds going to charity It would be great to see him again even if there is no new material; we still love the old stuff.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

AGREE!!! he might be very pleased people are not able to fly now though ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World View Post
I agree that Damo shouldn't rush things, but saying that there would be no harm in a 5-date Irish tour or something similarly as low-scale. He could even do it with all proceeds going to charity It would be great to see him again even if there is no new material; we still love the old stuff.

Last edited by Amie R.; 04-18-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Amie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

I think we should all act as though he is never going to release anything, as if he has retired. That way if he doesn't ever release anything you are not disappointed, and if he does it'll be a big huge surprise...

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

have a little patience It's normal to take 3-4 years to go from album 2 to album 3. Only pop bands release albums very fast cos people tend to forget about them very fast too, but for singer/songwriters it's completely normal...

and he's done the small touring in between, he did Norway, Iceland, then the South American tour...

and he's also given us little songs in the meantime like Under the Tongue, What If I'm Wrong...
Old 04-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
I'm getting really fecking sick of being teased by damien. I understand if he doesn't want to be forced into releasing an album that he doesn't like. But it has been 6 months since Iceland. He did this before with barcelona. At least let us know what's going on. It's almost like he is contemptous of his fans. Maybe it's because we are getting so much enjoyment from his music and he endures so much pain to create it.

I would rather have no news and the album come out when it does than to have all these teases that go nowhere.

He could at least go on some mini tours if he doesn't want to release an album. No better way to come up with new material than playing a ton.

I guess I'm just hurt that he could care less about his fans.
Could not care less about his fans, not could care less.

And he does care, he just shouldn't force music. He regretted that in 9 and I agree with him. Although i love 9 I think we should place or trust in his better judgement artistically.

As an Irish fan I am so annoyed I haven ot seen him live. I have seen Lisa live a number of times but never Damien. I really hope he does some low key irish tour soon. I dunno though.

Last edited by Cerque; 04-18-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

maybe we shouldn't rush him into a new album, maybe it's normal to wait for such a long time for a new album (because he's a singer/songwriter and stuff), maybe we should limit our expectations to songs that appear meanwhile: under the tongue, what if i'm wrong, .. BUT, that doesn't change the fact that Damien has some organisational issues.. he said that himself (more or less ).. so if he doesn't quick things up I'm afraid we won't see a new album anytime soon.
insanebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
verenita
... trusty and true ...

maybe it is because i never get tired of his old stuff... but i quite like how he lives his life nowadays. it seems it´s the way he just wants to, and that´s really inspiring to me

but i like what you said, timmy and i quite agree with you, maria
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Cerque
Resident Irishman

I agree. Let Damien's thoughts muster together. From them will grow the album we deserve to hear from him.

Patience is a virtue.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

I think we don't have number 3 because he cares of us, he want to give his best to us.
quiquemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquemartin View Post
I think we don't have number 3 because he cares of us, he want to give his best to us.
I agree...
Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquemartin View Post
i fully agree with you!
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #15
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

And I said I understand if he doesn't want to force album 3 out. But mini tours are very sparce. In over 3 years he did a month in Mexico and south America an that was great. 10 days to Barcelona which we heard maybe 2 minutes of total music and he did no shows. 2 days in Iceland for 200 people. An a bunch of little 1-5 song gigs at trinity whelans grafton San Diego sundance mission blue Leonard Cohen opener and live earth.

I'm saying it's fine if he doesn't want to release a new album ever but I want to see thean again. Us Eskimos expect a lot but he has to understand the we are his diehards and the ones who actually care the most not the arseholes that come out to hear blowers daughter.

I think if he wants to find inspiration for a new album. Whi is whatbi think he has been trying to do. It would help him by putting together a new band and a new sound an touring his old song with new arrangements and just playing playing playing and working music on the fly will help.

I like Brendan Buckley as my choice for a new drummer. (Europe 2007 tour)
Joel shearer from pedestrian was amazing on electric and bongos too.
No female singer.
I love vyv of course.
And then glen and colm and noonan and mund.

What are the chances of a supergroup forming with the expected end of the swell season after this fall. I bet something could be worked out.

I just saw atoms for peace, thom yorke and flea's band (amazing) and I think something trance jam would be good for Damien. He seemed to be going that route towards the end of 2007. And it worked really well.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my comments before but I do think that as his truest fans here we don't get a lot of recognition for it.
Like he said in Iceland when he heard people ha come from California and when I met him in Switzerland coming from Chicago. He thinks we are all fecking crazy.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^no no, no supergroups. I'd rather he focuses on his own album. Focus focus focus & no more distractions like spending a month trying to write a song with the Mamma Mia chick that ends up in nothing...

and the crazy fans is not intended as serious/insulting but kinda like a joke
Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

I've heard him in many concerts telling the story when he wrote Amie, in a weekend with friends or so, and I think he needs only peace and relax to let the ideas come to his mind.

Imagine you are thinking the whole day:

"I have to write an album, I have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an albumI have to write an album..."
quiquemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^no no, no supergroups. I'd rather he focuses on his own album. Focus focus focus & no more distractions like spending a month trying to write a song with the Mamma Mia chick that ends up in nothing...

and the crazy fans is not intended as serious/insulting but kinda like a joke

Totally agree. No supergroups. I want a quality Damien album. I'll wait as long as it takes, but I too, would like him to focus on his own album.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

2 albums in 10 years of career. i think there's nothing to add....
e-botti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
Rai
Eskimontologist

^That's about the same as the number of bands that he's broken up

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i think there is... i mean, it´s not about how many albums he realises. he worked (and he still does) on side proyects, on which he believes in somehow, travel and played a little... and, the most important thing to me, he´s trying to live his life just the way he feels he wants to live it... and, that is too much to say, imho.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Samart
Nothing unusual...

2 albums, yeah ! Greats albums. 10 years ? His songs are as great as the first day I listened to them. Don't need another albums if he is not aiming for greater things. If it "stops" here, it stops here. If not, I am happy. Why saying "come on already ?". I don't get it. How can someone know he can do better than O easily ?

In my opinion, Damien is teasing nobody and is not afraid of his fans nor think they are crazy.
But maybe he will think someone is crazy if that person enter in his scale of what he think is a crazy people.

Last edited by Samart; 04-22-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote