Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Brussels?

Any news from Brussels? A little bird told me he did I Remember and changed the lyrics with a Lisa reference... anyone??????
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
StatQuo
You never got me right!

He did indeed do a really nice version of 'I remember' although i might have missed a reference to Lisa.

More tonight i gots to run off to work.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Hans
Eskimo Baby

I remember was awesome yes, but I too did miss the Lisa reference if there was one.

It was a very emotional show though,
Cheers Darlin' with BellX1 was so beautiful !
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Alb1478
Eskimo Baby

Default Magic !

Hi,

The gig was just ... magic !
Definitely the best concert I've ever seen ...
Damien is such an artist the way he sings, the way he plays the guitar, the way he moves on the stage ... perfect.

His voice last night was indescrible !

The setlist ... for so far i remember (i do not remember exactly the order of the songs) :

- The professor ... and la fille danse ... and more (new lyrics)
- Elephant
- Volcano
- Grey room
- Woman like a man
- Older chests
- Rootless tree
- Coconut skins
- The blower's daughter
- Vyvienne solo
- Sleep don't weep
- I remember

Encore :
- a girl from the crowd (Damien met her during the day in a studio in Brussels) sang one of her own creation, with Damien at the guitar
- long talk from Damien, with a cigarette and all the members of BellX1 on stage, everyone had a glass wine ... very funny ... introducing 'Cheers darlin' ... a very good moment !
- Me, my yoke and i
- Cannonball ... in front of the stage, Damien on his knee, singing without micro and an old acoustic guitar (broke one string of his guitar during cheers darlin') ... waw !

Conclusion :
The next morning (today), I cannot stop thinking about this concert, a great show ... missing Lisa, of course, but Damien is a great artist, a great singer ... I'll remember it well, even forever.

I am already missing it ...
Alb1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
StatQuo
You never got me right!

The gig was truly amazing, best show I've ever seen in my life.

- Vyvienne did "radom man on the freeway" or so...
- The girl from the crowd was called 'Kathy' or so, and the song she apparently wrote with damien on the radio earlier that day. Something about a cocoon.
-First and the last song was done acoustic, no microphones. yay!
-Best part of the show, 'Cheers darling' Damien en the band, BELLX1 joined in, all with a glass of wine in their hand. Damien started of the song as a tale, talking about a man in a bar, drinking wine. One glass, 2,3...etc. after 5 minutes the tale started the song...cheers darling in 'drunken irish man mode'. ****ing brilliant.

- i drunk to much wine later that night still to remember all, but it was a unbelievable gig. And i sat on the first row about one meter away from Vyvienne the whole night.

Last edited by StatQuo; 03-27-2007 at 05:16 PM.
StatQuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Hans
Eskimo Baby

The best show I've seen for me too !

Truly amazing, Cheers Darlin' was indeed thé song of the night, with BellX1 and Damien drinking some glasses of wine and smoking when telling the tale to eventually start playing Cheers Darlin', brilliant !

After that it seemed that Damien wanted to stop, but luckely some guy of BellX1 started playing the riff of Me, My Yoke and I and then Damien started playing with them After this rocking song Damien took an acoustic guitar and played Cannonball but because it wasn't connected right to his effects board or something like that, he just played it without PA in front of the stage !

Also Volcano was brilliant too, with the superb percussion intro, starting at piano and then going into the old rythm and at the end, using the loop effect (cause there was nog Lisa) ... very nice !

The setlist was very good I think, starting with the professor acoustic and ending with Cannonball in the same way.

I think the setlist was something like this:
- The professor ... and la fille danse ... and more (new lyrics)
- Elephant
- Volcano
- Older chests
- Rootless tree
- Woman like a man
- The blower's daughter
- Coconut skins
- Grey room
- Vyvienne solo
- Sleep don't weep
- I remember

Encore :
- a girl from the crowd
- Cheers Darlin'
- Me, my yoke and i
- Cannonball

I intended to write it down on a paper, but forgot to take a paper with me offcourse

I sat on the balcony at the right of the stage, so I could look right onto Damien and the band, only Viv was a bit to far to the right to see, but I had a nice view (and sound) too !

I wish I could rewind my mind ...
Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Someone in the second row made a set list, so if I get it from her, i'll post it.

I loved this Damien gig, it was way much better than the one I saw in Tilburg although it was shorter. And Cheers Darlin'... that one was wonderfull! But he could have done it without Bellx1.

I kinda 'taped' the first part of the show with my Canon S1 IS camera, without making the videos (didn't want to pay to much attention to the recording, just wanted to enjoy it). The quality is quite good for a camera tape :P so I'll post links or something to the mp3s when I have 'em.

Last edited by SnoopS; 03-27-2007 at 01:16 PM.
SnoopS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Oh, can somebody tell me where the link with Lisa is in I Remember? Just listened to my 'bootleg' and I can't find it. I thought so too... but the part I thought it was was just the part of Lisa in I Remember (He starts all over again in the middle of the song during the jam session).
Old 03-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

My first-time-Damien was last week in Tilburg, the Netherlands. Musically very impressive, with a wonderful long setlist...but I felt like Damien was very distant, very introvert. He was singing to himself, all alone. Hardly any contact with the crowd, hardly any contact with the rest of the band. It felt like everybody around him was walking on eggshells, not to upset him.

Yesterdaynight in Brussels proved to be a totally different experience, right from the start. He started all alone, unplugged, with the Professor, in front of the stage. Making contact with 'us' right away. He was singing to us, not to himself. Wonderful! The atmosphere on stage was also more relaxed, with the candles burning. There was smiling, a little bit of talking, a bit of joking...And the jamming was magnificent. Everybody doing their own thing, together.

I Remember was for me the most impressive. (Heard no special mention of Lisa) But Cannonball (Damien unplugged, the rest doing their thing) and Cheers Darlin' (with a little help from BellX1) were other hightlights. As was the song (ehhhh....) where two crewmembers came up to play the piano and the organ. This, and Joel starting Me, my yoke... (and Damien going like: Oh, are we going to play that one) proved to me the change from last week. Maybe a stone has been lifted from his stomach? (Or whatever the English-saying-is) No not-recorded songs this time... Well it was 'short' (almost two hours), don't know why. We got kicked out of the venue, so maybe they wanted him to stop at 11? Anyways, a beautiful night. And sitting turned out to be okay. Not used to that 'at home'.

Oh, and Damien told us that after a radioshow that afternoon he stayed to play a bit on the piano. And had been working on a new song. Don't know that much about him, but looks like he is dealing with things?

P.S. The ending of BellX1's I'll see your heart with 'everybody near you is going to die' was wonderful as well. As was their little dance halfway :-)
4duckie2hear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Sounds like a great concert!!

Just realised he didn't play Fool, I would have bet all my money he was gonna play it in Brussels, you know, the Jacques Brel connection...
Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

guys, thanks so much for sharing all your emotions with us...

(at least for me) it´s like get closer to damien live energy!

i´m glad you´ve been enjoy that night!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

4duckie: the song you didn't know was Sleep don't weep, that was the one with the roadies (or whatever, two other guys).
Old 03-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
StatQuo
You never got me right!

One thing that stuck with me i think he started 'The Blowers Daughter' The first two lines... [And so it is ...Just like you said it would be...Life goes easy on me]
And then stopped and said something like 'actually it doesn't at all at the moment...'
Anyone got a recording of that song last night?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
Hans
Eskimo Baby

Weird

I think he just said "Wow, that's way wrong now", I could be wrong too though
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Weird

I think he just said "Wow, that's way wrong now", I could be wrong too though
Ok, i might have been dreaming. After the whole lisa thing, a person starts to hear things. Still i thought he said something something along that line.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #16
Carolijn
Eskimo Baby

- The Professor + La Fille Danse
- Elephant
- Volcano
- Older Chests
- Rootless Tree
- Coconut ns
- Woman Like a Man
- The Blower's Daughter
- Random Man on The Motorway
- Sleep Don't Weep
- Grey Room
- I remember
--------------
- Song with a young (birthday)girl
- Cheers Darlin'
- Me, My Joke + I
- Cannonball
Carolijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I take it as he also did a radio show at Studio Brussel?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
I take it as he also did a radio show at Studio Brussel?
I thought so, i checked their site and listened to the shows the aired yesterday, but non feature damien rice. So i'm guessing either it was a different radio station, or the show has to be aired yet.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #19
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatQuo
One thing that stuck with me i think he started 'The Blowers Daughter' The first two lines... [And so it is ...Just like you said it would be...Life goes easy on me]
And then stopped and said something like 'actually it doesn't at all at the moment...'
Anyone got a recording of that song last night?
Yep, me. But I can't understand it and then we are already laughing and my neighbour is talking to me :P

This is a song about... uhh uhhhh... doing something that you don't want to do. I liked that sentence too. That's after the mistake...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #20
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

After he sang 'Life goes easy on me', he stopped and said something like. ,,Well not at the moment.'' His guitar was out of tune...at least he tuned it again ;-) But I thought of Lisa as well. Not sure he meant the double meaning as well.
4duckie2hear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #21
nsenada
Eskimo Friend

It was one of the best shows that I've ever seen! Didn't miss Lisa at all. I do hope to see her live with her own show in the near future.
nsenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
fonny
Eskimo Baby

Really great gig monday. My first Damien Rice gig, got to know him with the fantastic O-album. Really suprising that 9 is nearly the equal of O. Personal climax of the gig: Coconut skins and Woman Like A Man.

Looking forward to see Damien in the Marquee in Werchter, it will be a breathtaking moment this summer!
fonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #23
riceandfall
Eskimo Baby

does anyone has pictures?
riceandfall is offline   Reply With Quote