Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-01-2003, 10:09 PM   #1
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Just recently listening to "then go" and ive noticed such similarities to Portisheads "Glorybox" i know Damo has covered that before but its kinda bugging me the way alot of his songs have such similarities these days

glorybox is the one with "give me a reason to love you" incase you arent a big portishead fan[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
Dr:J
Eskimo Friend

i haven't heard "then go" yet, but if is similar to "glory box", then it must be similar to Isaac Hayes' "Ike's rap 2" which portishead sampled for glory box. also Tricky has sampled the same track for his "Hell is around to corner"
Dr:J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

is that tricky guy any good? heard alot of hype about him
Old 10-02-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
jschau2
Eskimo Friend

Where can we listen to "Then Go"---heard Damo play it at a show and loved it---haven't been able to find it anywhere though......

thanks!
jschau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
spiff
Eskimo Regular

If you read the thread below it tells you how you can download Then Go from the yahoo briefcase account that neil_eats setup...

http://www.freecfm.com/d/damien/foru...D=602&PN=1
Old 10-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Hmmm... I hear the same downward low-note progression that creates that kinda sensual mood. Thousands of songs use this though, and I don't hear enough of a connection for me to be concerned.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

you crazy

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Old 10-02-2003, 04:45 PM   #8
Scon
Eskimo Regular

In a 'what the hell am I talking about?!' way, or that I don't hear a huge similarity apart from the progression? [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #9
Dr:J
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller
is that tricky guy any good? heard alot of hype about him

that tricky guy is indeed good, if youre into trip-hopish-kinda stuff..
Dr:J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:06 PM   #10
Aileron
Eskimo Baby

It sounds a lot to me like the early Buckingham Nicks Album by the same name. I just listened to Halleujah too...that sounds just like Buckley's verson. Damian has very good taste and the talent to emulate it! BRAVO!
Aileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 11:53 AM   #11
Washburn
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller

Just recently listening to "then go" and ive noticed such similarities to Portisheads "Glorybox" i know Damo has covered that before but its kinda bugging me the way alot of his songs have such similarities these days
Maybe you just need to take a break. That's what I do when I feel myself getting clouded with negative thoughts about the artists I really dig. I've done it with Damien already a couple of times. I don't want to spoil it so I put it aside and in a couple of weeks listen to it with fresh ears. You'll apreciate what you hear a lot more...I do anyway.

And with respect to Tricky, if you like Portishead then Tricky is a no brainer. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] It is the same type of stuff. I think they even sample off one another. I was listening to my Tricky CD yesterday Maxinquaye which is his first and best album. I never stop enjoying the tracks on that CD. If you are going to introduce yourself to Tricky I recommend you start with Maxinquaye.

Jeweller, it has been a slice. Cheers!
Old 10-04-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

i thin then go sounds quite similar to a charis song but i just listened to glory box there and i can see where you're coming from but i dunno if i agree....
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:44 AM   #13
Aileron
Eskimo Baby

Damian has also been quoted as being influenced by Leonard Cohen now NO ONE sounds "like" Cohen, but everyone does his music. I think that it is a relative part of talent to be able to have the "ear" to hear the parts of a song that move you and to have the talent to emulate it and encorporate it into things of your own. Not to get at all religious but even the oldest text in the history of the world says "there is nothing new under the sun." That being said, there isin't a whole lot of anything that doesn't sound like something else...
Aileron is offline   Reply With Quote