Among the afflictions
With which I've been marked
I'm not so prententious
And not quite so dark
I get the feeling you're bored with me
And not through habit or frequency
Did your mother have you easily?

hey there,

ever since i noticed this line i wondered about it and about the rest of the verse too. i don't seem to really understand it.

did you mother have you easily ?

i know birth is one of the most difficult things for babies because you come out of paradise, of warmth and everything into a world that is cold you gotta learn how to breathe and it hurts your lungs. some people consider birth being the original experience of pain that stays with you forever. and if your birth was difficult, then you have experienced pain and that pain will stay with you. is this the direction the meaning would be to find ?

did your mother have you easily ? do you know anything about pain inside at all ?

don't know, sounds quite strange but that's all i could come up with what do you think about the rest of the verse ? english isn't my mother tongue, sometimes there are details i miss.

thanks for your thoughts.

oh yes, has this song (then go) been written by damien too ? it sounds totally like a woman has writtent that song.

u.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:03 AM   #2
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Dear Ubik,

Thanks for your theory, as far as it goes I haven't found any explanation for this sentence, nor for the rest of the verse. I have myself wondered about it, but come to the conclusion that its uncanniness is what makes it beautiful!!
It's actually my own theory about music/poetry: you don't necessarilly need to understand it, simply you have to FEEL it...
Voilà!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:08 AM   #3
Ubik
Eskimo Friend

salut patricia, merci pour ton idée. je ressens la même chose. et il y a quelque chose dans cette ligne qui me va droit au coeur. alors j'essaye de voir comment les autres la ressentent. et puis aussi pê que quelque chose en anglais m'échappe. ubik
Old 12-03-2003, 08:47 PM   #4
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Maybe it's kinda talking about a situation where one person feels alot more than the other, so it seems like everything that happens weighs alot more on the person with the stronger feelings while the other person is getting off easy. The speaker is kinda saying "Hey, things have been easy for you since the beginning (birth) and the things that are difficult for me don't seem to bother you, so just leave." Thanks for bringing this up, I've never really thought about what those lines might mean but they are pretty abstract unless you look at them closer. And I'm really impressed that you're coming up with ideas when english isn't even your native language! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 09:49 PM   #5
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

with the current relationship im in...i can relate to those lyrics kinda well....at least in my own way.

my theory...is that he didnt mean 'have you' as 'giving birth to'..

i think he meant more along the lines of the raising ofa child..

having a partner is almost like being a parent in some certain ways...

in my case...i feel like a mother with the guy im involved with sometimes....and i often ask wonder how his mother dealt with raising him....if he was easy on her....or if she went through all of the worries that i do too.

another way is...obviously in the song the other person is causing anguish, so asking the question may mean did you treat your mother like you treat me

no clue really tho...just my interpretation

Edited by: unexplainedmuse
unexplainedmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:29 AM   #6
Ubik
Eskimo Friend

hi mierk, yes what you say is close to the way i got it too.

and thanks for this idea muse, i guess everyone relates to this from where he is at in his own life. i was once in a situation that sounds like the one you tell. the girl was trying to educate me. do all women have this natural need to educate their boyfriends ? like they just know anyway what's better for them. so, this particuliar girl went to far on me and I quit, after 5 years. you know, you don't want to have a mother next to you when you go sleep at night. hmh, don't even know why i am telling this, it's sort of an old story in my life, but you got me thinking back... thanks for that too :-)

u.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik
know birth is one of the most difficult things for babies because you come out of paradise, of warmth and everything into a world that is cold you gotta learn how to breathe and it hurts your lungs. some people consider birth being the original experience of pain that stays with you forever. and if your birth was difficult, then you have experienced pain and that pain will stay with you. is this the direction the meaning would be to find ?
did your mother have you easily ? do you know anything about pain inside at all?

i've never really thought about all this, but i do agree with you. especially since "afflictions" usually deal with things of pain, suffering or trials, it could very much be what you just described.

Quote:
oh yes, has this song (then go) been written by damien too ? it sounds totally like a woman has writtent that song.

yep.. he wrote it all. :>
tis_me_Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
do all women have this natural need to educate their boyfriends ? like they just know anyway what's better for them.

u.
I'm not sure whether I'm relieved or worried that this proves women are the same all over the world.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

women are scary... and no matter where u go they will always try to boss you around[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Oh, shut up, Simon! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #11
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

eh.....the maternal feelings i meant were more of a nurturing side,rather than educating...but then again..they do go hand in hand.

but ive always looked at relationships as learning experiences.. each person teaches the other all they know...then they interpret those lessons in their own ways....and blah.

im confusing myself just trying to explain this....so ill just be done now
unexplainedmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #12
marina
Eskimo Regular

i just stumbled accross thisthread.....dont talk to me about giving birth.....i saw my friend do it [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
idiosynful
Eskimo Regular

Well..how do you think you go on this Earth?

Though I suppose it isn't the most pleasant sight after all. =D

And we do not always boss everyone around! Not usually...
Old 01-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

And when we do, isn't it only because some people are acting like big babies?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
idiosynful
Eskimo Regular

*cough hack cough cough*

S'gotta be the cold.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:18 AM   #16
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller
women are scary... and no matter where u go they will always try to boss you around[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Speak the word brother! [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina
i just stumbled accross this*thread.....dont talk to me about giving birth.....i saw my friend do it [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
I visited with one of my friends that recently had a baby and she was showing me their photo album...when she got to the part where she was actually in the act, I was like uhhhhh ok we can skip these thanks, I don't need to see you like that, lol!
Old 01-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #17
mmh947
Eskimo Baby

I took it to mean something different than the above, it seems to me that the line is asking a rhetorical question to the person the song is about, in other words the line " Did your mother have you easily" is meant to point out how difficult, impossible and unforgiving they are. The line simply is an ingenious way of saying: I bet your mother went through hell giving birth to you, cause you are just that type of person and have been that way since birth, and thats just what you are putting me through....

anyway thats my take.

Matt
mmh947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #18
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
And when we do, isn't it only because some people are acting like big babies?

i know you are but what am i....[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote