Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Cap Roig review

the Cap Roig show was really Damien at his best, giving it 500%, being funny, interactive from the get going, making people sing, taking requests, explaining songs, really making an effort, playing with the songs, we got I Remember with a bit of Can't get you out of my head, The blower's daughter with Creep, The professor with the extra french verse, Amie into Sex Change into Eskimo, an improvised song with chords and words suggested by the audience, best show he's given in ages!!!!! and he played for like 2 hours and a half, til 12:30

this was the setlist:

Trusty & True, with audience singing
Delicate
Elephant
9 crimes , piano solo
Stoic (requested by me!! yay)
Astronaut on piano
I Remember > Can't get you out of my head, with audience singing
Volcano with girl from audience
The professor with extra verse, Ouvrir les seines etc
Rootless tree, piano
Cannonball unplugged
Improvised Song ("Rough")
I don't wanna change you
Cheers darling, with long long story with girl on stage drinking wine
Accidental babies, piano solo
The blowers daughter > Creep
----
Amie > Sex change > Eskimo

aftershow: the box
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I didn't have many expectations about the show, the festival seemed like a bit too posh for Damien, he had been playing boring Greatest Hits setlists in Italy and he was playlist like at 25% of his potential, but maybe having low expectations is a good thing and was positively surprised at having one of the best Damo shows ever

It all started very well with Trusty & True, almost had forgotten how great that song is, love how he plays it live, think I even prefer it to the more polished album version, and it reminds me of the first time most of us heard it in the Blueballs aftershow. At the end of the song he already started inteacting with the audience by dividing us into 2 groups and making us sing, a bit like in the Blueballs aftershow, which imho is nicer that when he plays the songs with those choirs

Delicate and Elephant followed, nice but bit bored of both songs, overplayed

Then he did 9 crimes on piano which was amazing, the song really sounds spectacular on piano and is 1000% better solo than with that Mariam that did it with Damo at the Italian shows

After that, i started shouting for Stoic, he heard it and played it he said something like, oh no one knows this song, maybe 5 people, but then he actually went on and explained what the song is about. he said textually:
"This is a song about being in a relationship and reaching that point which maybe everybody knows, you know when you're 16 and you watch too many Hollywood movies you think love, romance is in a certain way, then you meet life... this is a song about getting to that point in a relationship where there is no sexual attraction anymore, it just disappears, and I think that if the friendship bond is strong enough you can pass through these phases, but in this particular situation, it wasn't"

Beautiful and heartbreaking version, this is really Damo at his best. The explanation made me like the song even more and now I get the 2nd line in the song too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NhdbuH3XE

After that, more requests were shouted. Someone requested Childish and he was thinking about it but then someone requested Astronaut and did that one instead. He said he could do it on piano or guitar but it was normally played on harmonium but he did it eventually on piano. Amazing version and he talked about the song first too basically saying it's about friendship. So now I think I live the song even more. I already liked it, but was not that crazy about the brother/father/mother thing but now makes more sense if the song is about unconditional friendship, what he said was actually very beautiful. He said it was:

"a song about the beauty of friendship and how unconditional and undemanding in some ways and really pure and beautiful friendship can be"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuO12rOxJcw
Old 07-30-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

after Astronaut on piano, he grabbed the guitar for an incredible I Remember, was pure perfection, he even added the Kylie Minogue bit like he used to do in the 9 tour, and he also did something I think he's never done before, he made the audience sing some ohh-ohh parts. Great version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O474sM40l-4

then he asked for a girl called Marta, asking if she was in the audience. she was and came onstage to do Volcano with Damien. Think he was very overwhelmed cos she sang very quiet and think she could have done much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAcMXSOe5s

Requested started being shouted again after Volcano, Damien even joking about it. After agreeing on The Professor, he asked how we wanted the song, someone asked for the extended version and he did play it, adding the ouvrier les seines verse. The whole song he was very playful and funny and people loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3QxfV6ZPBA&t=5s

after the Professor, he moved to the piano again for an amazing version of Rootless tree, my vision was very limited, could only see half of his head but was an incredible version and he did the i love you bit too. Oh and a very interesting reveal at the end of the song he said Rootless Tree marked the end of a relationship. and that the next song was the start the of the same relationship and then he did Cannonball unplugged. So basically he confirmed that Cannonball is about Lisa and that their relationship starts with Cannonball and ends with Rootless Tree.

Then another surprise, he did an improv song. Asked for chords, think people said G, Dm, Am, C. Then asked for colours (red, blue) and words (rough, vicious, mosquito) and he improvised a tune, which was quite nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLK0iro92DA
Old 07-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

after that someone requested I don't wanna change you, which was just ok, actually besides Stoic the rest of requests were kinda meh
Then he explained it was his 1st proper nonfestival gig in Spain and that was actually why he did Cheers Darlin in the old style with the old story and the wine and the table and bringing a girl from the audience. Was pretty funny I admit and he was so drunk by the end of the song that for a sec I think he forgot how the story ended and I thought he was not gonna be able to finish. It was a very very long story and then he did the classic ipod version. When requesting the person he asked for 5 characteristics 1 female 2 likes wine 3 has boyfriend 4 des not have to drive afterwards 5 will not vomit

The wine really got to him, cos he did Accidental babies on piano and it was great but he really struggled and was stuck at some point and he said 'it's the wine' but he eventually finished.

after that he said that the official show was over and now was all extra. Think he wanted to play more but some ass went and requested The blowers daughter and he obliged and ended the main set instead. But at least it was a great version with a bit of Creep at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf2QDE3Y10&t=8s

I feared the show might be over but he came back on stage once more and did an amazing version of Amie, segued into Sex Change and then into Eskimo to finish an amazing gig with Damo at his best. (2h 30 min show)

After the show we waited outside and he came out around 2 o'clock and even if he was tired he sang us The Box before leaving.

In short, an amazing gig

Last edited by borneoman; 07-31-2018 at 08:28 AM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

sounds like a dream show. thanks for such a detailed review and all the videos!

btw, I'm not a fan of the harmonium sound at all and I really like this new song on piano and guitar. I hope he reconsiders!
and I agree with you that thinking about the lyrics in terms of unconditional friendship gives it another meaning
Old 08-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I can personally relate 100% with the song, it's funny cos with my best friend we have a brother-brother relationship most of the time, but every now and then I feel like I'm like a father/mother and sometimes I also feel I'm being mothered, so totally relate to the song
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Claude
Eskimo Regular

Thanks a lot for the review and all the videos !
What a memory !!!
Claude is online now   Reply With Quote