Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
brb8y215
Volcano Eskimo

Default A NEW THEORY,(or maybe more of a question)

So i was listening to Coldwater, the song following Cheers Darling on 'O' and i was thinking...i was thinking 'brian, coldwater has to represent something, all things considered, everything else on this album means something' so i started to listen. But then i started to think again 'wait, this album is telling a story, so lets go back one chapter' so Cheers Darling basically him telling the story of being in a bar, drinking his sorrows away because he lost a woman he really loved cause she married another dude. So, the next 'logical' part of the story would be him leaving the bar and going home. Right, so stereotypaclly, when your walking home drunk, you sing, cause thats what most drunkerts do when they walk home at night drunk. So in my opinion, if we were to set a 'scene' for coldwater it would be him walking home from the bar. now the first line in cold water is 'cold, cold water surrounds me now'. So logically speaking based on my theory what would cold water be? The correct anser to that is.....RAIN! HA HA, thats my theory. I just wanted to share my thoughts to see what everyone thought.

www.myspace.com/byronroberts
brb8y215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
brb8y215
Volcano Eskimo

Default scene setting for songs

now i know this is probably going back to that good ol thread that putin started but i just had to start one on my own. This one not giving "meaning" to songs just to put a visual behind some songs. Now, everyone is agreeing that Cheers Darling is set in a bar, so that one is simple. lets go through some other ones.....

Delicate: maybe a party situation, this is the song he 'meets the girl' so some kind of social situation

volcano: maybe a bedroom, or some kind of place where two people are alone, where they can be passionate with each other. or if you wanna get real kinky, that same party/social situation but in the bathroom, lol, but i prefer the bedroom situation myself.

blowers daughter: maybe the day after thier first romantic encounter on the phone or laying next to each other in bed wispering sweet nothings to her. something to that effect.

cannonball: maybe the two of them parading around town, kinda like in the movies where they have a big montage (a montage is a bunch of different visuals all put togeather to show a purpose in something) where they show a couple doing a whole bunch of couple things, that type of scene.

older chests: this one is tough, cause this is kinda (in my opinion) the point in the story where the relationship kinda turns a little sour. I think this one would have to be him maybe sitting in his house discovering something bad about his lover. I mean the music, in no way shape or for has a negative connotation, but this song is kinda weird when painting a visual. So i think, in my opinion, following what logically would be the story line, him discovering something bad about his love (but again, this song is wierd when it comes to visually)

amie: this is where bad things hit the fan. i think this song is him begging her not to leave. i know its controdicts what i said earlier, but, if you think about it, following the story it makes sense. so this would have to be them in his/her house with him begging her not to leave him for someone else. which leads into......

cheers darling: the song where she gets married. so this one i see him in the bar with him flashing back to the wedding showing him STANDING in the very back of the church, reflecting on the relationship. But going back and forth to the bar scene and the wedding scene with him at the very end storming out of the bar.

coldwater: i see him drunk, walking home in the pouring down rain singing about her and how he needs to get over it and on her parts, she's sitting in her hotel room (which is like 30 stories high, and she on one of the top rooms with a beautiful view of the city, which is prague by the way cause thats where she got married, hense the song prague) thinking if she made a mistake by marring this guy. Then.....

I Remember: Like months later she sees that she made a mistake and wants him back so i see her getting like the crap beat out of her by her husband then her running out and driving in her car and calling him from a nearby payphone expressing her mistake to him then hes like, sorry lady, you had your chance i dont want you anymore, i remember december when you dumped me oh and he's in like a his apartment/house in his bed when he answers the phone with another woman in his bed. They're both laying there. I prefer to say he's with a beautiful red headed irish woman, but think what you want.

Eskimo: this goes back to the bar, where he finds his friends. The people he can rely on for comfort when he needs it, so i think i see sitting in a big circular table with all his friends say 'hey, i look to you guys, my eskimo friends'

Prauge: this is another tricky one cause this song could either be the beginning or the end of cheers darling, so depending on your view the visual could be different. But i see it as the begging so i see it as him getting all dressed up and meeting her somewhere to say 'hey im all dressed up to be at your wedding, im here in prague, this is your last chance with me or to have me' they kiss, he drops her off, wedding is on.

again these are all my opinions but i would really appriciate your input. but i do ask, if your gonna give input on this one, listen to the songs and the descriptions i gave for visuals and then give a response. Please, critisism is welcome, but if you have a happy opinion, thats welcome too...thanks

www.myspace.com/byronroberts
brb8y215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Little_Aimee
Eskimo Baby

I like your theory. I always thought "o" was telling a story to that line, but i never thought any further than that, it all seems to fit.
Little_Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Stu08
Insane Eskimo Geek

Thumbs up

yeha i like that theory. Im not sure if there is one particular threory for the album, but the good thing about it is it lets you come up with your own, which is fun and its interesting to see how everyone else listens to the album and what they get from it