Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Bumpman

Default The Other Hotpress Review

Number Nine Dream
Colin Carberry

Vladimir Nabokov would famously begin his lectures at Cornell University by dishing out the following advice to his students: "No talking, no smoking, no knitting, no newspaper reading, no sleeping and for God's sake take notes." There is much that demands your attention on '9 Crimes', the opening track of this, Damien Rice's long-long awaited follow-up to O. There's a gorgeously bereft piano part for a start, and a bout of two-way vocalising between Rice and Lisa Hannigan that - in this ink-dark tale of deceit and betrayal ("Leave me out with the waste / This is not what I do / It's the wrong kind of place / To be cheating on you.") - seems positively indecent. But listen carefully and, beneath it all, there's another noise that can be made out faintly but distinctly - the sound of the Grays, LaMontagnes, Johnsons and even (dare I say it) Blunts of this world breaking their pencil tips on their jotters in sheer envy and frustration.

Singer-songwriters are often (erroneously) taken to be unassuming, hermetical little creatures. But while Mr Rice is a notoriously camera-shy chap, we shouldn't mistake this reticence for a meekness of character. Far from it - because from beginning to end, 9 is a serious statement of authorial intent. O may well have shown Rice staking out his territory, but 9 beats its chest and establishes once and for all who's boss.

If Rice really was a nervous wounded-wing, there's no way he'd skirt as close to Nick Drake comparisons as he does on 'The Animals Are Gone' [sic] (the strings are strikingly similar to Robert Kirby's ever-autumnal arrangements). It's the sheer power of its execution (helped in no small part by the creepy Wizard Of Oz fade-out) that makes the song soar.

Lyrically it also re-establishes the bi-polar persona that we were introduced to on O. "I know I've left you in places of despair / Oh I know I love you, so please throw down your hair." Which shows that, despite the fame, fortune and A-List pals, romantically speaking, Damo is still up to his old tricks - namely: casting himself in his own fairytales as both Rumpelstiltskin and Prince Charming.

Rice puts on a truly virtuoso performance over the course of this grandly theatrical record. He beckons the audience towards him on the likes of 'Grey Room' and 'Sleep Don't Weep'; shows-off his skills as a mimic on 'Dogs' (Janet Planet-fixated Van) and 'Me, My Yoke And I' (Polly who'd-have-guessed-it Harvey); he even shakes the joint's foundations on 'Rootless Tree' (a prime slice of muscular folk-rock with a chorus that runs "F*ck you, f*ck you, f*ck you and all you've been through.")

And while at times he strikes an unmistakably hammy note (even his most dewy-eyed acolyte will suspect 'Elephant' of being an emote too far), the razor's-edge ruthlessness of lines like "So be free / If not, leave him for me / 'fore one of us has accidental babies" [sic] means that 9 is never less then a compelling spectacle.

Rice's darker moments may not (yet) quite plumb the great lyrical depths of Bill Callahan or Will Oldham, while the gentle humanism and quotidian observation of someone like Damon Gough can leave him looking heavy-legged in comparison. But, judging by the vaulting ambition that courses through 9, Damien Rice is more then happy lording over the fertile patch he's happened on.

9 is a record designed to take on the world. And the world, you can bet, will have no option but to sit up straight - and take very good notes.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

thank you bump of man....

some one should get you a space peanut
Old 11-03-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

nice review.. is this in the most recent issue of hotpress?
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
Bumpman

It most certainly is. I could post you the page with your angry letter, Here's the apology they replied to you with:

Quote:
As an impressively large number of you pointed out, we managed to give Damien Rice's trusty lieutenant a different surname in the last issue of Hotpress. Our apologies to Shane who is most definitely a Fitzsimons as opposed to a Fitzgerald. The ex-members of staff responsible are very sorry and wonder if anybody has any odd jobs that need doing because Christmas is only seven weeks away and they could do with the money.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
It most certainly is. I could post you the page with your angry letter, Here's the apology they replied to you with:
yes post it please! but i think lady might be sending me this issue.. i don't really want the magazine, it's all just a ploy to get her return address so i can put her on my christmas card list.. btw you're already on there seano, the ploy worked with you

i don't think my letter was angry though, i tried to restrain myself..

i still can't believe they printed that
Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

As an impressively large number of you pointed out, we managed to give Damien Rice's trusty lieutenant a different surname in the last issue of Hotpress. Our apologies to Shane who is most definitely a Fitzsimons as opposed to a Fitzgerald. The ex-members of staff responsible are very sorry and wonder if anybody has any odd jobs that need doing because Christmas is only seven weeks away and they could do with the money.

this reminds me of monty python..

"We apologise for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible have been
sacked."

"We apologise again for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible for sacking
the people who have just been sacked,
have been sacked."
Old 11-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

Quote:
this reminds me of monty python..

"We apologise for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible have been
sacked."

"We apologise again for the fault in the
subtitles. Those responsible for sacking
the people who have just been sacked,
have been sacked."
I LOVE monty python ...they're figures of high wank...
ste_swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
SisterMidnight
This message has been deleted by SisterMidnight.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i'm not familiar with that expression

Quote:
But listen carefully and, beneath it all, there's another noise that can be made out faintly but distinctly - the sound of the Grays, LaMontagnes, Johnsons and even (dare I say it) Blunts of this world breaking their pencil tips on their jotters in sheer envy and frustration.
that bit is great