Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
bluesquall280
Eskimo Baby

Default the meaning of o

ok for the longest time i figured that the album "o" was just a bunch of songs that were sad in their ways. i just figured somthing out about the whole album thou. it's more or less a story of loss love. now listening to the songs you could base that theory with him. but all the songs are decending in that they chronilog a fallout of a relationship. the whole album is mostly from his point of view. at first he doubts his love for the girl. i believe her name would be amie. it's the only name that shows up on the album. then as the album progresses he discovers he actually loved her. by the end it's almost tragic in that he continues to long for her, but she has moved on. Amie comes into the "story" and presents her view on the situtaion through several songs. she states from the begining which would be the blower's daughter that she doesn't hate him nor does she want to forget what they had. she comes back later in the last three tracks and basically tells him that she still loves him but she moved on. she has the last word on the album as she says goodbye to him and hopes he gets better. it's hidden in track ten. i acutally tried to break down the album as best as i could. here is how i interpeded the album

1 i believe the relationship just ended but he's not as hurt as he will be

2 instead of being sad about the love he is doubting it

3 admiting that he is hurting/longing for her return she then tell him she doesn't want to forget what they shared he thinks that someone new will rid him of his problems in the closing line

4 hoping for the return of the love they had

5 looking back at the love they shared and hoping he could have it again

6 now hoping she still believe in their shared love

7 drunk - singing about how much she is missed

8 wanting to die

9 she dicusses their love and discusses how she moved on/

he is at this point crying out that she is wanted so badly by him, he wants to know if their love could return

10a so down and out he turn to drugs(cocaine)

10b still holding on to a string of love that isn't there and just hurting for her

10c she says her final goodbye and hopes he'll find happyness

not as detailed as i want it to be but i am just writing off the top of my head.
it mirrors my life as of late.
bluesquall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
DRMS_7888
Eskimo Baby

I LOLed.

I never would have thought of those things.
DRMS_7888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Well I have to say.. I don't know that "O" is THAT literal... However, I have to give you respect for analyzing it all so deeply... YOU are well on your way, Grasshopper...

That being said, I think Damien Rice is a lyrical and musical genius because he is so passionate that we may take from it what we need... and only he knows the real story, But.. he also knows how music can affect our souls and he hands it to us on a platter...

All I can say is that if the above forementioned is your situation... sit tight and wait for the new CD. It is going to be therapy in the making!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

I always thought that for the first 5 or 6 tracks he is still with her. Like in Delicate hes in love with this girl and shes amazing. Volcano is sexy and theyre still in love etc. Blowers DAughter we first start to see it breaking down, without the final line "till i find somebody new". Cannonball, he is basically saying that hes confused with love, so he uses many paradoxes, such as "stones taught me to fly" etc. Ive always been a bit confused with Amie and Older Chests. I guess Older Chests shows what kinda philosphy damo lives his life by. Then he breaks up with her in Cheers Darlin', and then for the rest of teh tracks i agree with your ideas.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Well in fairness like......

I know we all love O but its not possibly that intricate!

I mean think about it; to be intended like that he would have to have written all these songs in chronological order in one relationship, which is not only unlikely to the extreme if we didnt know his past, but since he wrote some of these songs with Juniper (his first band) and some of them by himself, it makes this theory impossible....

its always fun to think up these things for a laugh but you can go too far all the same like. I mean he isnt some messiah who writes faultless music that is without flaws. he has written some bad songs too. and there is no way he could have intended these songs to be a story. you could look at any album by anyone and make up a story it doesnt make it true!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquall280
ok for the longest time i figured that the album "o" was just a bunch of songs that were sad in their ways. i just figured somthing out about the whole album thou. it's more or less a story of loss love. now listening to the songs you could base that theory with him. but all the songs are decending in that they chronilog a fallout of a relationship. the whole album is mostly from his point of view. at first he doubts his love for the girl. i believe her name would be amie. it's the only name that shows up on the album. then as the album progresses he discovers he actually loved her. by the end it's almost tragic in that he continues to long for her, but she has moved on. Amie comes into the "story" and presents her view on the situtaion through several songs. she states from the begining which would be the blower's daughter that she doesn't hate him nor does she want to forget what they had. she comes back later in the last three tracks and basically tells him that she still loves him but she moved on. she has the last word on the album as she says goodbye to him and hopes he gets better. it's hidden in track ten. i acutally tried to break down the album as best as i could. here is how i interpeded the album

3 admiting that he is hurting/longing for her return she then tell him she doesn't want to forget what they shared he thinks that someone new will rid him of his problems in the closing line

8 wanting to die

he is at this point crying out that she is wanted so badly by him, he wants to know if their love could return

10b still holding on to a string of love that isn't there and just hurting for her

not as detailed as i want it to be but i am just writing off the top of my head.
that was possibly the biggest load of bullcrap i ever heard.

i mean well done for creating fiction in Damien Rice's songs.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #7
bluesquall280
Eskimo Baby

i am not saying that i think the man's a god sending us these messages. it's just the way i interped it. like eskimo friend. i could never figure it out until a friend of mine heard it and said that when he's down he turns to cocaine. that's where i get that idea from and it kinda makes sense. also i always thought that the hidden tracks were just other songs. then when i actually listen and read the words it only makes sense that they branch out of "o". like silent night. she says goodbye one last time. i am only offering my opinion of the album. i wasn't looking for a message or anything. i just liked his music. then when i stood back and actually read into it i found this common strand through out the whole album of just sadness and desperation. i put the fallout of my recent girl and the album side by side and found it. i truly believe that something along the same line happened to him. a fallout of love if you will.
bluesquall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFriend
Well in fairness like......

I know we all love O but its not possibly that intricate!

I mean think about it; to be intended like that he would have to have written all these songs in chronological order in one relationship, which is not only unlikely to the extreme if we didnt know his past, but since he wrote some of these songs with Juniper (his first band) and some of them by himself, it makes this theory impossible....

its always fun to think up these things for a laugh but you can go too far all the same like. I mean he isnt some messiah who writes faultless music that is without flaws. he has written some bad songs too. and there is no way he could have intended these songs to be a story. you could look at any album by anyone and make up a story it doesnt make it true!

I completely understand taking it and applying as you need to, however to you Macfriend>>>>> I couldn't agree with you more!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
Timeé
Intello

^ oh yeah i agree with macfriend aswell...

but..
Quote:
i am not saying that i think the man's a god sending us these messages. it's just the way i interped it. like eskimo friend. i could never figure it out until a friend of mine heard it and said that when he's down he turns to cocaine. that's where i get that idea from and it kinda makes sense. also i always thought that the hidden tracks were just other songs. then when i actually listen and read the words it only makes sense that they branch out of "o". like silent night. she says goodbye one last time. i am only offering my opinion of the album. i wasn't looking for a message or anything. i just liked his music. then when i stood back and actually read into it i found this common strand through out the whole album of just sadness and desperation. i put the fallout of my recent girl and the album side by side and found it. i truly believe that something along the same line happened to him. a fallout of love if you will.
the song is not called eskimo friend but "eskimo".. and it is about damien not being able to write a song..

he was in a big chateau in the south of France with Juniper and was given 3 days to write songs.

on the third day he got really mad coz he wrote stuff that wasnt good.. it didnt come from the soul..
he got frustrated and whacked his guitar against the wall..
everything about the situation went out of his head - he was shocked at what the damage to his friends' guitar was.

so he picked up the guitar.... and ten minutes later Eskimo was packaged

this is not my interpretation but his words in my words.

if you want to know more about 'O' and its creation i suggest you look in the interview section...
when i'm listening to a song i'd rather interpret it in my life than figure out what it actually means...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
Bumpman

We all get told about what eskimo is "really" about from time to time, everyone hears it from a friend of damien's cousin, or a brother of a studio engineer, or the ever-truthful bus eavesdropping.

Obviously the great thing about music is that you can interpret it however you want, and since "O" has such significance for so many people it's bound to be heard in a million different ways, generally though damien's not the kind of guy who can't admit what his songs are about, over the years he's gone into such rambling detail in live shows over the meaning of the songs that you could probably write a f*cking book on them, he's not too worried about being open about drug use either, talks about it quite a bit in fact. The result being that the real stories are pretty much all out there, and eskimo is about (drum roll)... writer's block.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #11
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
The result being that the real stories are pretty much all out there, and eskimo is about (drum roll)... writer's block.

er, excuse me but thats what i said - not literally but the same thing
Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #12
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

8 wanting to die

Wow. I just love the concept of perceptions.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
er, excuse me but thats what i said - not literally but the same thing
Yeah... i know, it was one of these things.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Yeah... i know, it was one of these things.
WELL WHY THE FOOK DID YOU DO A DRUMROLL? huh?