Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
excalibunny
Eskimo Baby

Post Using Damien Rice's song in short film

Hello there, I was simply wondering if there are any independent film-makers here who had successfully licensed any of Damien Rice's songs to be used in a short film or related media. I was told that is it not easy to get approval. I'm currently contacting the publisher and record label, but part of me keeps questioning if it is at all possible and worth a try. I'm quite new in the film industry, and in fact I just graduated from a polytechnic in Singapore. I'm a huge fan of Damien Rice and his songs inspired me to write many of my stories, so naturally I want to introduce his song in the film. The song I picked for this short film is 'The Connoisseur of Great Excuse'. The lyrics fits my plot perfectly! It is also considerably one of the less well-known song so I thought the chances are higher.. Do share with me your thoughts and advice! Hahaha thanks~
excalibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i have no clue at all, but good luck
Old 05-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

Worth trying! Publishing rights can be complicated stuff, but maybe it will be possible for you!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 AM   #4
excalibunny
Eskimo Baby

Thanks, guys! Anyone knows what record label is "the connoisseur of great excuse". I was told by Warner that even if I've gotten the synchronization rights from them, I still need to liaise with the record label for the use of the OSR.. But I can't find its contact. Complicated stuff indeed.. Sigh.
excalibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
glo32
Eskimo Regular

You should probably ask heffa, which is Damien's label.

Song title: The Connoisseur of Great Excuse.
Written, Produced, Recorded & Mixed in Ireland by Damien Rice. Artist: Damien Rice.
Copyright / Publisher: heffa ltd. 2010 / Warner Chappell ltd. Manager: Bernadette Barrett.
Performed by:
Damien Rice - vocals, piano, guitar, drums, percussion, bass, clarinet. Dylan Penn - percussion Gemma Hayes - backing vocals, percussion. Helgi Jonsson - trombone. Hopper Penn - percussion. Sarah Jane Murphy - backing vocals. Sean Penn - percussion. Vyvienne Long - cello

So you either ask damienrice.com or contact Bernadette at MondoManagement
and in the meantime, try and ask Warner too. They should be able to give you a contact to proceed

I'd go with Bernadette and explain everything to her. Tell her it's the first time you do this, but explain you're serious about this. Ask her what to do in order to get approval

Last edited by glo32; 05-26-2015 at 02:39 PM.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote