Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Alonso
Eskimo Baby

Default The Blowers Daughter 2

Hi everyonw, i don't know if you already talked about this, but in another forum I saw a lot of theories about wath this song is about, so I'll post it here too, and hope to know what you think and what theories you may have.

This is how I think the lyric of the live version is (where he talks about the drummer and a volcano on his finger version)

So this's got to die
I said this has got to stop
This’s got to lie down
Someone else on top

Well you can keep me pinned
Is easier to tease
But you can't paint an elephant
Quite as good as she

And she may cry
Like a baby
And she may drive me crazy
Cause I am lately lonely

So why you had to lie?
I take it I'm your crutch
The pillow in your pillow case
Is easier to touch

And when you think you're safe
You fall upon your knees
Just sit within your picture
Still forget the breeze

And she may rise
If I sing you down
And she may wisely
Cling to the ground
Cause I'm lately horny

And so Why would you take me
Thorny
What’s the point of this song
Or even sing it out
You've already gone
What am I clinging
Well I can throw her out
I can live without
I can do it all
For you
I can't be trusted
This is the vintage (The closest I can think of, I'm not sure, and dont know the meaning)
The midnight to lie

This's got to die
I said this has got to stop
Cause this's got to lie down down
Someone else on top

Well you can both keep me pinned down
Cause It’s easier to tease
But you can't make me happy
Quite as good as she
Well you know that’s a lie

Honestly, for me this song is about a single parent and "she" is his daughter, and "you" is a lady that he fell in love with and he doesn't know what's more important, the fatherly love for his daughter or the sexual love for the lady. But it's in a moment after the lady left him, maybe cause if the daughter.

That's the question, that's why he says things like "you can't paint an elephant quite as good as she" that's something in favour of the daughter, but the fact that she cryes and drives him crazy is something against her.

For a moment he thought he and the lady were both in love, but that wasn't true. The lady just used him to have an emotional support and now she is gone, that's why he only has a picture left of her. And he thinks about the fact that if she only wanted to hug someone, the pillow may play that role as well as him, he only served her as a crutch for a while.

He knows there's nothing he can do to change it, that's why he says it's all just to tease.

His daughter may wisely cling to the ground cause he is thinking about his life if he gets rid of her.

He wanders about how important is that he is lonely or horny.

That part about "she may rise if I song you down" it's where they are in his heart, cause if he concentrates in the bad things about the lady, it may seem like his daughter is more important and better.

What it has to die, what it has to stop, is the fact that he can no longer take this doubts and questions cause he can no longer take it.

Given the fact that he is only lying and thinking about a different number of options, it doesn't matter what he may say, cause is just a night when he can lie as much as he wants.

Taking into consideration that the blowers daughter it's about the daughter of his flute teacher, I believe boths songs must to've been created about some comments his teacher made about how it was racing his daughter as a single father. i believe the Blowers daughter 1 was about the beggining of the end of this romance (cause there he talks about "you" and about "her" too) and that this is after she is gone.

That's about it, I know the people who reads this may not like it, but I believe it.
Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
brookefield
slightly colder water...

hmmm...ever so very interesting ideas. they're nothing if not creative. however, you are wrong. this song is about me, as you will find most of his songs are.
brookefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookefield
hmmm...ever so very interesting ideas. they're nothing if not creative. however, you are wrong. this song is about me, as you will find most of his songs are.

LOL! Good answer. Yet YOU are wrong. They are about me. Um, my name is Aime. Yea.. yea thats it. Ok, but I AM having it changed? And um, (looks up to see if the sky is falling. Its not. yet) And as I was saying.. they are for me. All of them. Evem the covers. Really.

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
spiffy tuesday
Eskimo Baby

can anyone repost a download for this song live from the paradisio w/ the regular version too? thanks !!!!!!!!!
spiffy tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Putin
Eskimo Friend

Alonso... Umm... I don't agree with your interpretation of the song at all. Let me explain why.
First of all you have a few things wrong in your transcription of the lyrics. The end part doesn't go "and you can't make me happy, quite as good as she", he actually says "quite as good as me".
"The Blower's Daughter" from "O" is about two people who have broken up. And the guy (represented by Damien's singing) is still in love with the girl (represented by Lisa's singing).
He first explains that life without her is "just like [she] said it would be" "easy on me" but only "most of the time" which tells us that she might be the cause of his life not being easy on him all the time. He then reflects on the relationship claiming that now there's "no love, no glory" because they aren't together anymore; this phrase also serving as a connection between love and glory thus relating to the philosophy that without love there is no glory. He also says that there is "no hero in her sky", "her" meaning the typical girl's which plays into what I wrote above: since there is no love between them, the typical romantic story (which is glorious) cannot be fulfilled. The chorus is then circumstantial; it's as though he's seen her again and he can't take his eyes off of her. Maybe he's at a party to which they were both invited and so he stares at her from across the room. In the second verse, he claims that they both "forget the breeze" which refers to their relationship. And then he rants about "the colder water, the blower's daughter, the pupil in denial" which are the most typical romantic tragedies, or the most problematic situations in a relationship. He does this to almost demean the relationship; he is so in love with her and he hates himself for it so much that he wants to make himself think that his relationship was just a typical one and was destined, like the typical examples of which he speaks, to fail. After another chorus throughout which he proclaims his love, Lisa sings. It's almost like she heard him from across the room and is now standing next to him, telling him that altough the relationship failed she doesn't "loathe him" and that she hasn't forgotten about the relationship and might be considering giving it another try ("did i say that i want to leave it all behind"). Damien's response is that he'll keep loving her until he "find[s] somebody new".

And this is where Blower's Daughter 2 comes in. Blower's Daughter 2 is a reflection on his situation after he's found "somebody new". He is now in love with two women and he hates his situation because he can't choose between them. He says that he'd rather that "someone else [was] on top" meaning he'd rather someone else make the decision for him. He then states that the first woman (Lisa in BD) can keep him "pinned" meaning that she can still have power over him, she can still control him, but that she "can't paint an elephant quite as good as" the new woman. What he means is that this new woman has some qualities that are above Lisa's. The chorus then kicks in and basically states that although this new woman has some faults he has no other option because he's lonely, hence we assume that Lisa doesn't want to get back together with him. This conclusion is then only highlighted in the second verse where he assumes that he is the first woman's crutch and that she lied to him about getting back together with him. He's also frustrated by the fact that she won't be intimate with him ("the pillow in your pillowcase is easier to touch"). He then asks her if she's already forgotten their relationship ("the breeze"), which would make sense because she doesn't really want to be with him. And he also asks her if she "sit[s] within [her] picture" which is a reference to detachment or typical manner, again highlighting her detachment from him or the way she acts with him: as with an average bloke. He then breaks into the chorus again and claims that the new woman can surpass Lisa if he decides that she should ("if i sing you down") yet it seems that it would only be for sexual reasons ("cause i am lately horny"). From these lyrics it's easy to tell how confused he is about what he should do. He goes on a rant about why he's singing the song in the first place and then he ends by claiming that both women could keep him pinned but that they can't make him as happy as he can make himself ("you can't make me happy quite as good as me", "you" refering to both women), but of course he ends up saying that he actually can't just live by himself ("well you know that's a lie").

I don't know how clear my analysis was. But this is my interpretation of it which ties together both songs.
Putin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
Jasmine
joseur.

that makes a lot of sense, putin :] good job.
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Putin = Genious!!

Yep, I agree with you, nothing to do with father-daughter issues but girlfriend 1 vs girlfriend 2... The comparison is clear, especially in the elephant line.

The funny thing is that during months I never understood the last line...so the song for me was ending 'can't take my eyes off you'... and then suddenly I understood the 'til I find somebody new' line, which IMO, kinda changes the song, giving it a more optimistic ending, like he wants to be over girlfriend 1 and leave her behind.

Putin, could I ask you to expand your view on this:
"the colder water, the blower's daughter, the pupil in denial"
I never figured out this part on TBD, I don't even understand what the Blower's Daughter means... silly me...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrossGirl
LOL! Good answer. Yet YOU are wrong. They are about me. Um, my name is Aime. Yea.. yea thats it. Ok, but I AM having it changed? And um, (looks up to see if the sky is falling. Its not. yet) And as I was saying.. they are for me. All of them. Evem the covers. Really.
I love that answer and I wonder how many of us feel the same... So yeah, NO they are indeed all about me
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Ok, lemme think.. I get him Monday, Thursday, and saturday. Which gives you Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. Wed. he can rest. hehe

Love, Macross. OOPS! I mean...
Love, Aime

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
atagher
Eskimo Baby

lol your all wrong.

he wrote the song for his clarinet teacher's daughter whom he was in love with.... thats what the first songs about. she cheated on him and broke his heart. thats what the second songs about, i know damien is an amazing songwriter but dont try to over interpret what hes trying to say. because im willing to be hes more a spur of the moment writer and doesnt get THAT deep with his thinking.. thats what makes it special is it all still comes out amazing

another tidbit of information.. the actual CD recorded version of the blower's daughter is recorded live in his house for the girl.. all of O was done in a studio at his home, and he held a private concert for the girl and her father when it was recorded

thats what makes music amazing though, everyone interprets it different ways... i just look at it as in the first one him bearing his heart out to the girl confessing his love for her, and the second one as his emotional reaction to the heartbreak

Last edited by atagher; 07-13-2006 at 05:07 PM.
atagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
at odds
Eskimo Baby

also check your 'O' inlays - lisa did the artwork, she drew the elephant, which is the symbol of DR music.

Put 2 + 2 together people...

Plus, at one show he did indeed drunkenly admit that Cannonball was ABOUT lisa, and she walked offstage.

So... hmmm.
at odds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
juliaann
Eskimo Friend

I've always thought 'blowers daughter pt 2' 'rootless tree' 'accidental babies' 'It didn't take you long' and possibly even the two new ones were all about Lisa. If you listen to the lyrics you can easily hear it, especially 'It didn't take you long'. I think Lisa has had a deep hold on his heart for a while.
But then again I could completely wrong

Last edited by juliaann; 07-13-2006 at 06:37 PM.
juliaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:08 AM   #13
Dangana
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putin
Alonso... Umm... I don't agree with your interpretation of the song at all. Let me explain why.
First of all you have a few things wrong in your transcription of the lyrics. The end part doesn't go "and you can't make me happy, quite as good as she", he actually says "quite as good as me".

Your interpretation is so wonderful. Thank you for that. Do you happen to know Damien personally or you're just extremely good at this?
Dangana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:16 AM   #14
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Lisa wouldn't happen to BE his old clarinet teachers daughter would she? becasue in an interview he said that the blowers daughter is a song about his clarinet teachers daughther and if he claims these songs are about the lovely miss hannigan... would she maybe BE the blowers daughter?

ps. i agree with PUTIN!!

At odds,
you said he admitted that cannonball was about Lisa and she walked off stage... did she come back on the stage or did she say "f*ck you" for the rest of the night?
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #15
Putin
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangana
Your interpretation is so wonderful. Thank you for that. Do you happen to know Damien personally or you're just extremely good at this?
Dangana,

No, I obviously don't know Damien personally since I live in Vancouver, Canada and am not even a native of the English language. But I went through a situation that was very similar, to both songs actually. Thus my interpretation is terribly bias, but one could say that it might have magically fit my situation perfectly. At the same time I love literature and literary theory, which might also attribute to, so you say, the "quality" or at least enthusiasm of my interpretation.
Putin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #16
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Putin.. what do you think the chanced of the "blowers daughter" actually being Lisa? you think since some of his music is about her that she could be the clarinet teachers daughter?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #17
Jasmine
joseur.

would he really want the woman who broke his heart and f-ed him over to be his onstage partner-in-crime until the end of time?
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine
would he really want the woman who broke his heart and f-ed him over to be his onstage partner-in-crime until the end of time?
you never know... emotion is what makes his songs soo powerful and maybe it's what keeps them that way. just because someoen broke your heart doesn't mean things can never heal...

end of time? is it the end of time now? cause she isnt on tour... so if it the end of time and there is something you know and i don't please tell me.

also, we don't KNOW she broke his heart or that these songs are really about her. we are putting speculation and drunkin ranting together, which when put together usually just give everyone more quesitons and less answers. we can't be sure the songs are about her... can you really trust someone ranting when they are drunk? no. they are either telling the truth or telling some complete BS story that even leaves them wondering "wtf?"

speculation + drunkeness = we may never know the answer
Old 07-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #19
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putin
He says that he'd rather that "someone else [was] on top" meaning he'd rather someone else make the decision for him.
hehe i reckon this interpretation is wrong

i think its a little less suttle, probably meaning "someone else on top" referring to his dick. i interpretated that from the first time i heard it and i also hear in one of the recordings a guy laughing at the end of this song and agreeing.

and "this has got to lie down" meaning his erection.

ehem. okay thats enough penis chatter for now
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #20
G2020
Eskimo Hunter

Default ???

If the song is about his clarinet teachers daughter, how could that be Lisa???????? Lisa's father is a publican.
G2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #21
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso
I can't be trusted
This is the vintage (The closest I can think of, I'm not sure, and dont know the meaning)
The midnight to lie
From what I can make out of it, it sounds like he's saying

I could be true
This is to be determined that's a lie

Not saying I'm right of course, because I don't know, but that's just what I hear.

As for the interpretation of the song... I really can't say. I have my own interpretations but it's really not that fancy. haha.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #22
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2020
If the song is about his clarinet teachers daughter, how could that be Lisa???????? Lisa's father is a publican.
Lisa is her mother's daughter too you know.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
worrynot,thisismyonlypost
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide
From what I can make out of it, it sounds like he's saying

I could be true
This is to be determined that's a lie

Not saying I'm right of course, because I don't know, but that's just what I hear.

As for the interpretation of the song... I really can't say. I have my own interpretations but it's really not that fancy. haha.
From latest Youtube videos it is "Tell me you want me to lie that this has got to die".
worrynot,thisismyonlypost is offline   Reply With Quote