Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #31
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
and if you dont believe that the censorship of one's words is an offense against freedom, i cannot help you because that is a lack of fundamental understanding of life and human interaction that i cannot even pretend to have the ability to rectify.
I've actually got no problem with words themselves, only with intentions. But with words they encourage and cause escalation of prejudice.

I think being in a situation where someone else is abusive or offensive, and where there is no moderation is "an offense against" MY "freedom", or atleast not a place i want to spend my time.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 AM   #32
Bumpman

Quote:
honey, the problem wasn't that people disagreed. the problem was that it was changed. that is censoring.
That's a pretty broad ranging view of censorship to say the least. You've implied that you're entitled to free speech as an unconditional enforcement on everyone else. You're not. You never were. Firstly eskimofriends isn't an American website, it's Irish, we have differing civil restrictions regarding defamation and racism.

Secondly, eskimofriends isn't your property, you don't pay the bandwidth charges, you don't maintain it, and I'm going to hazard a guess that you haven't pitched in with donations. Admin and Wheels pick up the bill on this place, on this website you have no legal or civil right to say anything that breaks the rules they've set. It's their property and as such they have the right to do whatever they want with it. That includes deleting the kind of racist crap that you seem to think is okay.

If you wake up in the morning, and someone has spray-painted a swastika on your front door, would painting over it be censorship? Your rationale seems to suggest that it would. Does keeping it there serve a higher moral purpose in defence of the civil right to say whatever you want, is that civil right more valuable then the one that states that people can go about their lives without being afraid of socially acceptable racism?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #33
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
That's a pretty broad ranging view of censorship to say the least. You've implied that you're entitled to free speech as an unconditional enforcement on everyone else. You're not. You never were. Firstly eskimofriends isn't an American website, it's Irish, we have differing civil restrictions regarding defamation and racism.

Secondly, eskimofriends isn't your property, you don't pay the bandwidth charges, you don't maintain it, and I'm going to hazard a guess that you haven't pitched in with donations. Admin and Wheels pick up the bill on this place, on this website you have no legal or civil right to say anything that breaks the rules they've set. It's their property and as such they have the right to do whatever they want with it. That includes deleting the kind of racist crap that you seem to think is okay.

If you wake up in the morning, and someone has spray-painted a swastika on your front door, would painting over it be censorship? Your rationale seems to suggest that it would. Does keeping it there serve a higher moral purpose in defence of the civil right to say whatever you want, is that civil right more valuable then the one that states that people can go about their lives without being afraid of socially acceptable racism?
usually I would make some saucy rebuttle, give you a patronizing nickname, and be done....

but to be quite honest, you have convinced me. What you just said really put it in perspective for me. I now see how and why the term should have been taken down. I do want you to know this, I dont think racissm is okay, and I never did. However, my entire life, I have experienced a lack of intellectual freedom to a certain degree, so naturally censorship hits close to home for me. literally. However, after your recent argument (which is the only one that actually made sense) I really do agree and am sorry for being so ignorant in the first place.

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #34
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

laurenb - devil's advocate
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #35
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
(which is the only one that actually made sense)
Proof that i really am undecipherable *cries*

Praise though! someone who ACTUALLY will change their minds and admit it. Thanks ya!

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 03-10-2007 at 10:19 AM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #36
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

yeah it is nice to see someone open to accept a different view and admit fault, i had a problem with the word Jap from the get go, because the only time i have ever heard that word is when someone is making a racist attack. but i guess its harder for people to see the problem if they have never seen or faced those kind of words from someone who its trying to attack the other person.

but hey, were all friends here, now to share a nice cup of hot chocolate while timee contructs another plan to gain laurens hand in marriage

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go

Last edited by Ships_Were_Sailin; 03-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #37
Bumpman

I can absolutely appreciate how hard it is to admit to having changed your perspective. Kudos on the bravery.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #38
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships_Were_Sailin
timee contructs another plan to gain laurens hand in marriage
Already there. Leave out the marriage thing though.

A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #39
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

you built her a bridge, genuis

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote