Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #91
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

ah life goes on. she needed to leave if she ever wanted her own recognition. she added alot to his music but its for the best if she does her solo stuff for a while.

im actually at two minds about it. half of me is hoping damien will go the heavier route that ian mentioned he was heading for before 9 was recorded. underwhelming is definately what 9 for me was.
the other half will miss the beauty of what she adds but im not bummed about it.
its a step in a new direction i think damien needed to make a good while ago

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #92
Mort
Czech Eskimo

As much as almost everyone here I'm sad that she left the band. I was at their last common gig in Berlin and I won't forget that night. She's been a special singer to me (with or without Damien) and I wish her all the best in the future.
xx
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #93
foryou
Eskimo Friend

"After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are - Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander & Vyvienne Long."

Much thoughts.... C'mon ......

Munich 16.03.07 16:00 Soundchech with Lisa
Munich 16.03.07 21:00 Concert without Lisa

"Much thoughts" in about 5 hours? Not very reliable, isn't it?
Looks like a try to quench the upcoming fire.
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #94
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by foryou
"After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are - Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander & Vyvienne Long."

Much thoughts.... C'mon ......

Munich 16.03.07 16:00 Soundchech with Lisa
Munich 16.03.07 21:00 Concert without Lisa

"Much thoughts" in about 5 hours? Not very reliable, isn't it?
Looks like a try to quench the upcoming fire.

Yeah but it's been over a week, for all you know they've been mulling over it since then and only came to a decision last night.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #95
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

I repeat again, just for the record: it was Lisa who quit the band. For whatever reasons. But, like I said, she quit.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #96
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

I'm absolutely gutted! I'm going to see Damien on saturday if the damned tickets every arrive (why do they wait till 10 days before to send them out that's just torture!) It won't be the same with out her. Still be amazing don't get me wrong.

Ah well, she'll become something amazing soon enough and as long as when she does she comes to Scotland I will bear no grudges.
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #97
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
I repeat again, just for the record: it was Lisa who quit the band. For whatever reasons. But, like I said, she quit.
You can't stop the rumour commando

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #98
foryou
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Who told you that it was her free decision? Oh sorry , I understand , Damien the
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #99
vidiot
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddcode
If this were the case, why would they break up mid-tour? Why not wait for it to end first?
Who knows. Like I suggested, maybe it was something in her personal life that has her distraunt and didn't want to perform on the road anymore, so she took the night off. Maybe being a group of close friends the band all discussed it with her and thought it would be best FOR HER if she moved on. Maybe they opened the door for her and she walked out. But like I also said, we shouldn't start any rumors. We should accept the decision that was made and not blame anyone when we don't know the whole story.

On a side note, what is it about bands splitting up in Germany? Ben Moody split from Evanescence right before their show in Berlin in 2003, and now Lisa and Damo did the same in Munich. Must be the brotworst.
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #100
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot
Who knows. Like I suggested, maybe it was something in her personal life that has her distraunt and didn't want to perform on the road anymore, so she took the night off. Maybe being a group of close friends the band all discussed it with her and thought it would be best FOR HER if she moved on. Maybe they opened the door for her and she walked out. But like I also said, we shouldn't start any rumors. We should accept the decision that was made and not blame anyone when we don't know the whole story.
Maybe they hit her in the back of head with a big stick and dumped her in the river. Has anyone seen her since Munich?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #101
Ewwa
Eskimo Regular

Bratwurst
sorry for being so accurate, I'm German, I can't deny it....
Ewwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #102
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
Haven't they had electric guitar for ages? If you're referring to Joel Shearer then he's been playing on and off with the band for ages.

Damien has always allowed the spotlight to fall on both Vyvienne and Lisa for solo or joint spots at many of his gigs, its not like its a new thing he just introduced this tour and many of the fans look forward to them taking the limelight. The gigs where the full band appears have an electric atmosphere about them, the dynamic of five people who have played together for so long and who know each other and the songs intimately. SAying that Lisa doesn't add anything to the show is clearly not true. Damo's solo shows are completely different - which doesnt necessarily mean "worse" although its clear some people on here feel that way. for the record, although ill miss Lisa, i like the two different dynamics that a DamienRice show can produce and i'm looking forward to how he can change his show now and cope with the loss of such a big part of his act.
That whole post is just awful.

Joel has not been playing "on and off" with the band. He played when they were opening for Tori Amos last summer. That's it. He and/or Pedestrian opened some shows in the past, but he's played a max of about 20 shows with Damien before.

I know Lisa always has sang a song on her own. And it's just about always sucked. I don't want to hear her sing Silent Night. I don't want to hear Northern Wind. I don't want to hear Gently Johnny My Gigolo, Willy, Mercedes Benz, or any of her other tunes except for Be My Husband. She's talented, but it never seemed very much related to the rest of the show, just a distraction.

Lisa sits on stage with her legs crossed for 50% of a show. Don't tell me she is an integral part of the band. She's talented, but she just wasn't a good fit.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #103
Constanze
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot

On a side note, what is it about bands splitting up in Germany? Ben Moody split from Evanescence right before their show in Berlin in 2003, and now Lisa and Damo did the same in Munich. Must be the brotworst.
it`s called bratwurst.. and I don`t think it`s to blame for bands splitting up. nice try

edit: been too slow
Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #104
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
She's talented, but she just wasn't a good fit.
that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but i'm sure i'm not the only person here that disagrees with that statement
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #105
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but i'm sure i'm not the only person here that disagrees with that statement
Perhaps. But the fact that Damien agrees with me ought to make you think twice.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #106
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

at this point we can only speculate, maybe somebody here knows what really happened but that's irrelevant since we can't be sure and ultimately, it's none of our business. damien may think that now--or not, but he seemed to have thought the opposite for more than 5 years
Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #107
Rai
Eskimontologist

Seriously, what else could she have done during the concert when she had nothing to sing other than sitting down and not dividing the audience's attention? Do some Shakira-style dancing? She was the artillery of the Damien Rice band, resting when not needed then making a huge impression when called for.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #108
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Perhaps. But the fact that Damien agrees with me ought to make you think twice.
Unless Hendrik is right and she walked herself.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #109
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Here, Lisa's ma,

Is she looking for a bassist/guitarist/general noisemaker who will insist that she makes music that's a cross between Sonic Youth and Neutral Milk Hotel and as a result kill her chances at commercial success?

My failure to land the gig will result in my coming down hard on the "Damien rulez what was the name of that girl who used to sing with him again?" camp.

I still say she's in rehab.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #110
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
I still say she's in rehab.

Oh man, if she actualy were then the above would be way more unfunny than it already is.

Unless you thought the joke was on me.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #111
thismachinekillstheenemy
empty thoughts

its gonna make a great song tho eh
thismachinekillstheenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #112
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

^ i was thinking the same thing last night. the songs that are gonna come out of this are gonna be awsome
Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #113
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships_Were_Sailin
lisa is one of the main reasons i love damiens music so much, yes he is an amazing song writer, but she makes his songs go from great to magical with her voice. As soon as i heard her i decided she was my favourite vocalist ever, especially with i remember.

the only reason im not going into a greater stage of depression right now is the prospect of her solo album, with her voice i really think she can create something unbelievable, so im going to pray that she nails it.

Damien is still brilliant i know, but id be lying to myslef if said that im looking forward to his next album just as much as i used to.

worst news ever for me, lisa's voice is no longer next to damiens, someone kill me now
whoa, it's not the end of the world, she's not dead, there's no reason for talk of depression or killing yourself

seriously, some people are reacting in a really extreme manner, i repeat it's not the end of the world
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #114
matheusdibo
Eskimo Friend

Devastated.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #115
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Arghhhh! How annoying! Fair enough if she wants to leave (and I wish her all the best and won't lose interest in her music).....but what bad timing as I'm off to the hammersmith gig tommorrow...........couldn't she wait a bit...she was definitely the icing on the cake.
Oh well,
life goes on; but lisa i'm going to miss you a lot!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #116
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Seriously, what else could she have done during the concert when she had nothing to sing other than sitting down and not dividing the audience's attention? Do some Shakira-style dancing? She was the artillery of the Damien Rice band, resting when not needed then making a huge impression when called for.
No, and that's exactly my point. They had nothing for her to do half of the time. Therefore: she was not a great fit for the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Unless Hendrik is right and she walked herself.

You're missing my point. Regardless of how it occurred, once it occurred Damien rather immediately replaced her with an electric guitarist and the shows took on more of a rock tone. The fact that the band dove headfirst in a new direction as soon as Lisa was no longer around makes it pretty clear that she'd been holding them back from that.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 PM   #117
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
You're missing my point. Regardless of how it occurred, once it occurred Damien rather immediately replaced her with an electric guitarist and the shows took on more of a rock tone. The fact that the band dove headfirst in a new direction as soon as Lisa was no longer around makes it pretty clear that she'd been holding them back from that.

I think think one think necessarily follows the other. Damien may have been happy enough to continue the band the way things were musically up until Lisa left the tour but when she did it may have led him to make a panic move of changing the format to something more agressive and taking it in a completely different direction to cover up the fact that she wasn't there. It may not have been something that he'd wanted to do for a while but couldn't becasue Lisa has been around.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #118
Arpie
Eskimo Regular

Unhappy

Damn that's a shame...Lisa's haunting voice added a whole dimension to Damien's music, she'll be missed. Still I look forward to seeing what she'll come up with, solo.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #119
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

just sad.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 AM   #120
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
didn't you know? guys always make it sound like it was their idea to split up but yes, it sounds more likely that lisa walked rather than she was kicked out or asked to leave..

i have to say though, if she did i think she's nuts. the only reason she's known at all is because of damien, and if she has the chance now to make it on her own it's because he made her a true partner in his music. despite the fact that she doesn't really play any instruments, he elevated her to something far above the cliche "girl singer" who does backing vocals, and you can see how she's grown in confidence and performing ability because of it

i'll miss her because i always loved the balance between the masculine and feminine aspects of the band. one of the first things that impressed me about damien was that he put the women (lisa and vyvienne) at the center of his sound and played their yin against his yang so well (musically) i think about the songs i really love and how lisa plays such a big role, like volcano, and it makes me sad to think she's gone.. but then i remembered the first time i heard volcano, first time i heard damien at all come to think of it, and it was just damien and vyv.. i actually had to get used to lisa's singing on the song in the beginning because i first fell in love with how he sang it alone

it's sad but people grow and change and come and go in life.. i wish lisa all the best i think she'll do brilliantly on her own and in other collaborations like she's always done, she's a lovely person and deserves the best in life
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote