Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #121
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
I think think one think necessarily follows the other. Damien may have been happy enough to continue the band the way things were musically up until Lisa left the tour but when she did it may have led him to make a panic move of changing the format to something more agressive and taking it in a completely different direction to cover up the fact that she wasn't there. It may not have been something that he'd wanted to do for a while but couldn't becasue Lisa has been around.
Sure... if you want to ignore all the music the band members have ever done before (Juniper, God Street Wine, etc.) and ignore the choices they recently made on stage together when Lisa was still there (like the extended version of I Remember which developed in the US in december) and ignore the choices Damien has made when he plays by himself (much more looping and rocking), then sure, you could conclude that the move in this direction was purely reactionary. But that's an awfully large bubble...
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #122
vidiot
Eskimo Baby

For those that have in their possession the tracks from that night's show, listen to track 10. This is the first time I have heard this song...kinda hauntingly appropriate.
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #123
desole
Eskimo Baby

I can't believe this news, I'm devasted. I think its unfair to all those who have bought tickets for upcoming shows and expected Lisa to be there. I was so looking forward to seeing them for the first time in Manchester on Friday and now I feel let down.

And the official statement is very cold indeed. It says a lot when personal or professional differences cannot be put aside for the sake of a huge fan base who have bought tickets in good faith.

desole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #124
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna
whoa, it's not the end of the world, she's not dead, there's no reason for talk of depression or killing yourself

seriously, some people are reacting in a really extreme manner, i repeat it's not the end of the world
i wasnt serious about killing myself :P, i was being sarcastic, i guess it doesnt come accross on the internet...

but the reason some are reacting more than others is because of all the different opinions on lisa, i for one cant believe the things that mario D is coming out with, Holding damien and the band back? she saves damien and the band in places, especially on 9 crimes. she brings so much to the song when she opens her mouth, and her voice is irreplacable.

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go

Last edited by Ships_Were_Sailin; 03-27-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #125
songbirdrach
Eskimo Friend

I posted in the other "rumour" thread about it not being a biggie deal,but after reading the official statement i am quite utterly gutted to be honest.
But of course it's a great opportunity for Lisa to get out there and concentrate on her solo stuff and i for one will definitely be supporting whatever she does.
Just a pooin shame that i get to see Damien Rice tomorrow and Thusday with no Lisa,but i am sure Damien will not fail to utterly impress me.

Hey ho,things happen.
I absolutely disagree with the opinions that Lisa bought nothing to Damien Rice shows.....of course she did!!!!!
I think it was SisterMidnight who commented on the feminine vibe of the shows with Lisa&Vyv and i agree.

Lotsa luck for Lisa and i cant wait to see Mr.Rice and his take on the Lisa-not being-there-situation tomorrow and Thursday

Last edited by songbirdrach; 03-27-2007 at 09:12 AM.
songbirdrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #126
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Sure... if you want to ignore all the music the band members have ever done before (Juniper, God Street Wine, etc.) and ignore the choices they recently made on stage together when Lisa was still there (like the extended version of I Remember which developed in the US in december) and ignore the choices Damien has made when he plays by himself (much more looping and rocking), then sure, you could conclude that the move in this direction was purely reactionary. But that's an awfully large bubble...
They've been doing 15 minute long versions of I remember for years though. For all you know Damien's use of loops in solo shows and the extra rocking are there to cover up the gap caused by Lisa and the rest of the band's absence. Obviously I can't speak for him and it would be the height of hubris to put words in his mouth or to say that one knows his thinking but many musicians who employ loops a lot, especially those that use them as part of solo/non full band performances only do them because they don't have a band.

Charles Bissell uses them from time to time in the Wrens but it's his solo gig where he really goes nuts on the RC-20. Final Fantasy, who has built a phenomenal live reputation based on his prowess with loops, has said that he finds it somewhat restrictive, especially when composing. I saw Andrew Bird last week and he used lots of loops and while it was wonderful I think it'd have been better had he had more band members to play the parts.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #127
Windgirl
Eskimo Friend

omg! in shock!
Windgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #128
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:

and you called *my* last post awful?

you're talking as if Damien Rice just stepped off the boat yesterday, picked up his guitar and started playing. I Remember, Volcano, Cold Water - 3 pivotal songs involving Lisa, which he's being doing extended versions of for as long as ive been going to his gigs. he does as much looping on his own as he does when he's with the band.

and Lisa might sit around for large parts of the show - but going by what many many people have said on here Lisa is/was important to the music and many people appreciate the spectacle of the gig with the full band. we get it - you don't like Lisa, you don't appreciate what she did for Damien's music. But you can't dismiss her out of hand as an artist.

also: its rude to dismiss someone's post as "awful". this is a public fan forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I was voicing mine.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #129
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
No, and that's exactly my point. They had nothing for her to do half of the time. Therefore: she was not a great fit for the group.
Following this logic, they should dump the percussion from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. They are just standing there idly most of the time...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #130
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

2 damien gigs i haven't really enjoyed and thought were lacking.....funny how they're the 2 that lisa wasn't at. oh well. i'm not sure if i care to go nearly as much in the future.
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 AM   #131
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

What the heck? I mean, isnt this the DAMIEN rice fanclub? I understand the sadness of not having Lisa, but is that the only reason some of you go to HIS concert? For all we know, she is the one that quit. When ya come down to it, he has given a statement, she has not. Lets not judge either. Life goes on. And I bet there is a kickass song that comes from it. It makes me sad for all the fair weather fans. If you choose not to see Dames anymore, hey thats great! Means someone that is a hardcore fan like me will get better seats! Remember.. opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they ALL smell! hehe

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #132
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrossGirl
What the heck? I mean, isnt this the DAMIEN rice fanclub?
No, it's not a fanclub, and that's exactly the problem with this website, too many people think its a fanclub. The criticism in this place comes nowhere near meeting the amount that Damien deserves. You're not "more hardcore" for liking everything Damien does, you're just more of a follower.

Jon, it's sad to hear you say that. I hope you'll give them a shot in May and see if you still like it less. It should be very interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #133
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

where does this leave any future releases from 9? cant imagine they'll release a song with the one of the lead singers gone. It probably puts to bed any ideas of Dogs (most probable) being released now. Its not like too DR will be putting live (full band) versions of songs as b-sides either.
Unless he records a whole new song with the "new" line up.

I'm wouldn't mind the latter
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #134
mawb66
Eskimo Baby

Default Lisa

likewise gutted especially as she should've done the tour then quit,probably a major bust up with Damo.
On her own she's fab but hear the songs on Cake Sale and you know she'll need strong material. The songs on there are a bit drab.
I had the privildge of just seeing her and damo in the early days and she was integral to the act.
just can't see it being as good, but will judge the gig on it's merits.
mawb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #135
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

[quote=mario_d]No, it's not a fanclub, and that's exactly the problem with this website, too many people think its a fanclub. The criticism in this place comes nowhere near meeting the amount that Damien deserves. You're not "more hardcore" for liking everything Damien does, you're just more of a follower.

Its called loyalty. And the eskimofriends ARE fans. Fans that meet and talk about, wow.. DAMIEN RICE! So call it what you will. You think Damien owes you something, or deserves your criticism because Lisa quit? I mean, wow. I would say yes that makes me more of a hardcore fan. Becuase *I* do not assume to know of things I DO NOT. AND, I see he has done nothing wrong. I am here to talk about him with other fans. Because I do like everything he does. Not just musically, but for some of his causes he believes in. Causes I would not have known about, such as his campaign to free Aung San Suu Kyi, which I learned about here. I like the fact he fights for what he believes in. Its none of MY business what he does in his life as far as what he believes to be right, but that cause alone did get me involved. If that makes me a follower, then that is a title I will take. But to say he "deserves more criticism" is ridiculous. I wonder if you would stand by these convictions if you were face to face with him. And if you think he is this horrible guy, why are you here? To bash those who do not believe what you do? To name call and cause strife? You can have your opinion, and your rudeness. But can you make a point without being rude? I wonder.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #136
rockthesmurf
Friend

From my personal perspective: if Damien and Lisa had made some sort of announcement that Lisa would be persueing her own solo career at the end of the current tour, and that Damien had wished her all the best, it would have been sad knowing that the magic that is Damien & Lisa will be no more but it would have also been an exciting time. Instead, what makes the current situation feel like a rusty nail going into my heart is the way Lisa became no longer a part of Damien Rice, here today gone tomorrow. The horrible deep down feeling when watching him yesterday in London wasn't the fact Lisa wasn't there, it was knowing with the current state of affairs she'll never be there. A gig with out Lisa is fine, a life without the duo I have grown to love is depressing.

Having said that; I started being a big Damien follower after breaking up with someone as I felt parts of songs summed up how I felt some of the time. Listening to Damien last night suddenly made it feel like the songs weren't reflecting my loss but instead his, "I don't know if I'm wrong... She's only just gone..." which on some levels made his music seem more powerful to me, and also made me feel like it's time to let go of the past, thinking about my lost love and instead look to the future.

I though last nights gig was amazing, it was interesting to see new directions he is experimenting with and there were many moments that gave me goose bumps, however the moment that made me want to stop breathing and freeze time was when he sang Cannonball acoustically, standing near the front of the stage, looking up to the heavens, projecting his voice to a theatre full of people that had enough love for him to make the oceans part.

I'm very sad about the whole Lisa situation and think I'll always hope that one day they'll perform together, if anyone has any words that'll make this all feel better please share them as I feel like an esikmo in the desert at the moment, with a sun burnt nose.

:'(

Steve
xo
Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #137
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

yeah macross we are damien rice fans, that doesnt mean we are fans of damien only, he has other bands members to that bring loads to the table, lisa most of all in my opinion, just because his is the name of the band doesnt mean we take for granted the people behind him.

but mario D is speaking rubish imo, damien deserves critism? who are you to say how much critism he deserves, you dont even know what happened

Last edited by Ships_Were_Sailin; 03-28-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #138
Dangana
Eskimo Friend

Oh nooo....this is really such bad news. I was really looking forward to seeing her perform with him. The first time I saw him, she was touring with some band so she wasn't there. This time for sure she won't be. I wonder what happened between them...
Dangana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #139
babyeskimo
Away with the Faeries

!!!!!!!!!!!! my dreams of seeing a live damien and lisa show are shattered!!!! This is awful, a huge loss to music! I'm in mourning *sniff*
babyeskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #140
LuciferSam
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranting Thespian
There is hope in the future. Two reasons:

1 - David Gilmour, Nick Mason, and Rick Wright managed to play with Roger Waters again as Pink Floyd for 4 songs at Live 8, and even shared an embrace (and aren't fighting anymore, as well).

2 - The Beatles manged 2 new recordings even though John's passed on (Free As A Bird and Real Love).

There's more friendship in Lisa and Damien than there ever was in Gilmour and Waters. Not all hope is lost.
The creepy thing was, when Water's left Pink Floyd he considered them a "spent creative force". Kinda like the official DR press release. And it took them over 20 years to do 4 songs together again. I would hope for better here.

And those Beetles songs, were cool but definitely not the same thing.

Let's hope they have enough self-awareness and reconcile at some point in the NEAR future.

There are quite a few bands out there, and only a few ever "make it big"... it really takes the perfect mix, which there's no denying that Lisa was part of. Solo records have about a 99.9999% chance of ever succeeding when it comes down to it.... it looks like one of theirs, if not both of them are letting their ego get in the way of their careers... I'm selling my DR tickets in April.

Last edited by LuciferSam; 03-28-2007 at 04:13 PM.
LuciferSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #141
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Its called loyalty...

But to say he "deserves more criticism" is ridiculous....

I wonder if you would stand by these convictions if you were face to face with him...
Loyalty is telling someone they are wrong when they need to be told so.

He deserves a ton more criticism for the way he behaves at times, and for the way he conducts himself professionally. For not releasing a second album, then haphazardly releasing it, botching tours, etc. And I agree that Lisa really was working less and less well with this band. But to put out that statement, worded the way it was, was infantile and appalling.

I've met Damien on more than one occassion, beginning in 2003.

Last edited by mario_d; 03-28-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #142
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

Quote:
Loyalty is telling someone they are wrong when they need to be told so.

He deserves a ton more criticism for the way he behaves at times, and for the way he conducts himself professionally. For not releasing a second album, then haphazardly releasing it, botching tours, etc. And I agree that Lisa really was working less and less well with this band. But to put out that statement, worded the way it was, was infantile and appalling.

I've met Damien on more than one occassion, beginning in 2003.
What were your experiences meeting him like, Mario?
Heretic At Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #143
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

it doesnt matter if youve "talked to him" before, even though thats quite posibly a cover up, you have no right to say how much critism he deserves, because you werent there, you are basing your opinion off speculation, which you arent allowed to do when your throwing statements like that.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #144
Rannveig
Lives Near an Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthesmurf
I though last nights gig was amazing, it was interesting to see new directions he is experimenting with and there were many moments that gave me goose bumps, however the moment that made me want to stop breathing and freeze time was when he sang Cannonball acoustically, standing near the front of the stage, looking up to the heavens, projecting his voice to a theatre full of people that had enough love for him to make the oceans part.

xo

NICELY SAID....can't put it any other way
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #145
foryou
Eskimo Friend

"Cannonball without mic" is experimental and he did it also for the first three Germany gigs when the complete band inclusive Lisa was still "on board".
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #146
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

But they're such an amazing duo! In fact, I've always wondered how they haven't official formed their own little band and have Lisa's name on the cover. Of course, I've always thought Lisa was good enough to have her own solo career. But can't there be both? I actually thought there was a good percent of Lisa's vocals in 9...nearly just as much, if not more, thatn O. Even though Damien has a wonderful, beatutiful voice of her own, there's just no words to describe how amazing they sound singing together. I serisouly hope this isn't the very end of their musical career together. I hope the breakup wasn't as bad as it sounds, and all the best luck to Lisa!

Where was this announcement first made?

Last edited by October Sky; 03-28-2007 at 09:29 PM.
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #147
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic At Large
What were your experiences meeting him like, Mario?
The only time I really had a full conversation with him was back in 2003, and he was very nice. He was also very Irish back then, so it was difficult for us to understand each other because we mostly were talking about taping shows, and we each were using different types of slang for things. I remember that what I called a "board patch" he was calling a "plug" and I thought he was talking about AC power.

He was very nice and genuine to me back then. It was on stage after a show he and Tomo played and only about eight people had showed up to see him (this was before O was released in the US) so he was talking to me while he wound up cables and stuff. Other times I met him, he was always kind, but never nearly as genuine as back then, I could see his sort of "dealing with the public" persona at work.

I've actually spoken to Tomo more than Damien, and Tomo is awesome. I spoke to him briefly in 2003, then in 2004 met him randomly. That tour they played Philly then NYC on back to back nights. At the Philly show, I burned all the Damien shows that were out at the time, and asked Jonathon to pass them to the band. Then myself and my two taper friends went up to NYC the next day, and went for a slice of pizza around the corner from the Beacon in this tiny place with like two tables. Tomo was sitting by himself at one of them and we were the only other people there. We waited until he finished eating, then said hello. He looked totally shocked to be recognized. I told him about the shows I'd given Jonathon, and Tomo started talking about how they'd listened to them briefly in the bus on the way up. He talked to us for a little while then went over to the venue. I saw him in December, too, to get him to autograph a poster I had from that tiny 2003 show. Both in 2004 and last year he was completely blown away by the idea that we had travelled to NYC and DC from Philly just to see them play. He's really softspoken and totally wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships_Were_Sailin
it doesnt matter if youve "talked to him" before, even though thats quite posibly a cover up, you have no right to say how much critism he deserves, because you werent there, you are basing your opinion off speculation, which you arent allowed to do when your throwing statements like that.

The MacrossGirl basically claimed I wouldn't criticize Damien if I ever met him. I stated I have met him. They were two separate conversations.

But I do have a right to say that the statement they released was utterly and totally unprofessional and inapprorpiate, regardless of what occured between soundcheck and the actual show in Munich. If I were him, I'd fire the management people who didn't stop him from putting it out. (Though, I guess maybe they are "hardcore" fans, too, so it isn't their job to point out how ridiculous that statement makes him look.)

Last edited by mario_d; 03-28-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #148
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

You can meet anyone in this situation Mario, and they will ALL change. Becuase they HAVE to. Between tabloids, and people always pestering, you cant please and be on that level of when you first met him. You said yourself there were only 8 people there. Now he plays for thousands! And as nice as it would be, he cant meet and have conversations with us all. I wish! My point, you missed, was you can not critize someone when you do not know facts. And I seriously doubt, with someone you met what twice.. your going to be friendly enough to walk up and accuse him of things you know nothing of. Lisa wasnt there alot last year either. And more than likely, she wants to do her own thing since she has really made a name for herself. To blame Damien, my other point, is just silly. Unless you know him, are his chum, and if thats the case.. why has he not told you the deal? That is all I mean. Not to bicker with you. And that is what Ships and I are trying to say.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #149
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
My point, you missed, was you can not critize someone when you do not know facts.

I know the f-cking facts. They are right here:

After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are - Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander & Vyvienne Long.

For releasing that statement, Damien needs to be slapped upside the head. I don't care what happened backstage in Munich. That statement is immature, unprofessional, and pathetic.

Furthermore, the facts are that he released an album last fall, over five years after his first album, because the band got tired of waiting and yelled at him. As a result (whether indirectly or to prove a point) he hastily compiled some tracks and immediately disassociated himself from the album in a variety of ways.

More facts worthy of criticism: He's announced countless projects (remember when they asked people to send in their home videos for a DVD release? That was three years ago and never got mentioned again.) and seems to rather immediately abandon them.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #150
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

[quote=mario_d]I know the f-cking facts. They are right here:

After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are - Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander & Vyvienne Long.
For releasing that statement, Damien needs to be slapped upside the head. I don't care what happened backstage in Munich. That statement is immature, unprofessional, and pathetic.
Furthermore, the facts are that he released an album last fall, over five years after his first album, because the band got tired of waiting and yelled at him. As a result (whether indirectly or to prove a point) he hastily compiled some tracks and immediately disassociated himself from the album in a variety of ways.[quote=mario_d]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's end it here. This is Mario's post from yet another post of the SAME topic.. and Ill cut and paste:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
I can't read that as anything other than Damien decided that it was time for her to leave.

The way you should read it is:

Damien wants everyone to think he kicked Lisa out of the band.

Whether that's true or not cannot be determined from a press release.
((end of his quote))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Way to prove your point dude.. So make up your mind. Which is it? You want to slap him, or you want to tell ppl not to go by the same press release you gripe about here?

And where are his facts about Damiens album? Maybe dames told him since he has met him sooo many times.
Hey Bumpman.. you have met him and talked to him for LONG periods of time (not as he rolls wires trying to ignore what we know now is your ignorance mario).. Did he ever tell you the story about how "the band got tired of waiting and yelled at him"? Because Mario is quoted here as that IS THE FACTS! sheesh

Mario are you sure you are even a fan?? To say Damien needs to be "slapped upside the head" On who's authority?

Dont bother answering. I am following everyones advice and ignoring you. I did have FUN calling you out. Please know that. From now on, maybe it would be good to prove your point by not having two different ones on the SAME topic. sheesh

P.S.
You can not make a point by cussing people who catch you in fibs. Grow up lil man.

Thanks to EVERY ONE of YOU that sent me the great emails about this person. We love it when we catch people in their own stupidity. Made my day!
xoxo
*wipes tear from laughter*

Last edited by MacrossGirl; 03-29-2007 at 11:49 AM.