Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Default "Once" soundtrack

You can listen to the whole soundtrack HERE.
It's AMAZING!
And I like that they did not use the same recordings as for the Swell Season album. At least "Leave" seems to be a different version... So it's worth buying even if you already have the "normal" record.

Can't wait to see the movie.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 AM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

hey cool, thanks lin@! i really want to see this film, too

i just listened.. most of the songs kind of make me sleepy but i love falling slowly, leave and all the way down
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Thanks, some of it sounds pretty good.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

gold is amazing. saw the movie on weds and was pretty satisfied, liked most of it just a few things that i didnt like, wont go into much detail tho for those who havent seen it.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Just saw the screening in Toronto a few days ago - thought the movie was fantastic!

There was a Q&A afterwards with John Carney (writer/director) and Glen Hansard... it was incredible hearing them talk about the intentions with the movie/music

(I think they mentioned the CD would be out in north america on may 22)
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
cille
creepycute

Neat ST, thanks for sharing I wonder if the movie will ever be shown in a danish theatre..?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
Rai
Eskimontologist

Mamma mia, this sounds flabbergasting! Its a bloody shame they'll never show such a film in Hungarian cinemas...

Btw, this girls sounds like a cross between Lisa and Vyv and being a Czech, she's my neighbour, woohoo!

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"

Last edited by Rai; 05-06-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Mamma mia, this sounds flabbergasting! Its a bloody shame they'll never show such a film in Hungarian cinemas...

Btw, this girls sounds like a cross between Lisa and Vyv and being a Czech, she's my neighbour, woohoo!
the movie will have a worldwide release, so there is a big chance that it will hit some cinemas in Hungary too

the soundtrack is indeed out on the 22nd of May.

You can find out more on the movie with all the latest info on

www.myspace.com/oncethemovie
Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
Eskimo Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai

p.s. Rai, addig is turelem, mert az biza rozsat terem
Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
p.s. Rai, addig is turelem, mert az biza rozsat terem
Where did you learn this?

(I'm not too optimistic about the release, the premier of The Wind That Shakes The Barley will be next week! over here, and Once is much smaller and does not have a Palme D'Or)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai

(I'm not too optimistic about the release, the premier of The Wind That Shakes The Barley will be next week! over here, and Once is much smaller and does not have a Palme D'Or)
it does have that Sundance award though, let's keep our hopes up

Last edited by cille; 05-16-2007 at 07:40 AM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
Eskimo Regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Where did you learn this?

where did i learn it?..hat ugy,hogy vele szulettem

jo latni egy hazait errefele!!!!once miatt ne aggodj..csinalom a promo egy reszet es nagyon jo distributort(buena vista) kaptunk igy tenyleg nagy az esely arra, hogy magyarhonban is benn lesz az ev vege fele..

worst case scenario i can send u a copy of the dvd for x-mas

if u wanna listen to the music from the film...the whole soundtrack is on on the following site

www.foxsearchlight.com/once

sorry to the others to exclude u from conversation.i swear i am not slagging anyone here in my native tongue

Rai, keep in touch man...im v busy and only new eskimofriend...my home is the frames board but love damo to bits, so couldn't resist anymore to be part of this wee community
Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
Eskimo Regular

Lightbulb

Quote:

jo latni egy hazait errefele!!!!once miatt ne aggodj..csinalom a promo egy reszet es nagyon jo distributort(buena vista) kaptunk igy tenyleg nagy az esely arra, hogy magyarhonban is benn lesz az ev vege fele..

if u wanna listen to the music from the film...the whole soundtrack is on on the following site

sorry to the others to exclude u from conversation.i swear i am not slagging anyone here in my native tongue

Rai, keep in touch man...im v busy and only new eskimofriend...my home is the frames board but love damo to bits, so couldn't resist anymore to be part of this wee community

ok, just saw that link has been already posted...sorry for the duplicte info
Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #14
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

Crikey, I stumbled upon these artists after looking at the stellar reviews for "Once." I remembered y'all mentioning Glen Hansard here, but never heard any of his stuff. Because of the gorgeous "Falling Slowly," I picked up The Swell Season record today. I want to see the movie, like, yesterday.
tuckatangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:48 AM   #15
Eskimo Regular

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckatangent
Crikey, I stumbled upon these artists after looking at the stellar reviews for "Once." I remembered y'all mentioning Glen Hansard here, but never heard any of his stuff. Because of the gorgeous "Falling Slowly," I picked up The Swell Season record today. I want to see the movie, like, yesterday.
if you really wanna get to know Glen's work then listen to his band The Frames...i would suggest the albums 'Set List' and 'Fitzcarraldo' to begin with..then u will buy the rest of it anyway..
they are the one of the best bands in Ireland with the most die-hard fans ever!and they are nice people in real life on top of everything...

you can find most of the songs online (if you have real player) on

www.theframes.ie

also there are a few treats on
www.myspace.com/theframesofficial
www.myspace.com/theswellseason

Also some of the songs on The Swell Season were written together with Damien...

enjoy!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #16
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

which do you prefer, set list or fitzcarraldo? i love the energy on revelate on set list, but i don't want to spoil myself with the live record first. do they tour the states often? thanks for all the links - i've listened to the swell season now and am in love, but also dig the frames' rockier side.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #17
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:

Remek, alig várom Azt hittem én leszek még egy darabig az egyetlen magyar itt a hazai lemez-ellátási hiányosságok okán, de nem számoltam az emigrációval... Üdv a sarkvidéken

What is this Swell Season-damo connection? I've been listening the album to bits recently but besides the arrangement (female+male+strings. This is what ruins Moon for me, because Marketa is doing Lisa-esque Ooos in the background but she's not Ms. Hannigan and it does not sound too good) and Leave I can't hear much in common...

Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
cille
creepycute

Quote:
if you really wanna get to know Glen's work then listen to his band The Frames...i would suggest the albums 'Set List' and 'Fitzcarraldo' to begin with..then u will buy the rest of it anyway..
they are the one of the best bands in Ireland with the most die-hard fans ever!and they are nice people in real life on top of everything...

you can find most of the songs online (if you have real player) on

www.theframes.ie

also there are a few treats on
www.myspace.com/theframesofficial
www.myspace.com/theswellseason

Also some of the songs on The Swell Season were written together with Damien...

enjoy!
I actually started off with set list and hated it - I'd recommend For the Birds, a very accessable album w some nice tunes on there, or Burn the maps, which is my favourite Frames album, but I think a lot of people disagree w me on that one.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Which Frames album has that Star Star song????

Thanks
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #20
Eskimo Regular

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Remek, alig várom Azt hittem én leszek még egy darabig az egyetlen magyar itt a hazai lemez-ellátási hiányosságok okán, de nem számoltam az emigrációval... Üdv a sarkvidéken

What is this Swell Season-damo connection? I've been listening the album to bits recently but besides the arrangement (female+male+strings. This is what ruins Moon for me, because Marketa is doing Lisa-esque Ooos in the background but she's not Ms. Hannigan and it does not sound too good) and Leave I can't hear much in common...
Koszi Rai, orulok, hogy raleltem egy hazaira..mar evek ota itt vagyok es csak ir barataim vannak...udv neked isprobalgatom mar egy ideje nyomni glennek,hogy jonniuk kene jatszani magyarorszagra is, csehbe sokat mennek...nagyon gaz mert a framest senki nem ismeri otthon..remelem jovo nyarra legalabb a sziget osszejon...rengeteg ir zenesz szeretne nyitni magyarhon fele, de magyarhon nem igazan igyekszik nyitni felejuk....ami nagy hiba..a csehek okosan szippantjak fel ezeket a muveszeket, koncert lehetosegeket adva nekik...ha pedig egy betorne, peldaul glen es a frames akkor damien, bellx1 mind kovetne...ezek a muveszek annyira szoros kapcsolatba vannak egymassal...az ir zenei elet legnagyobb klikkje... nagyon elszektasodva!!!

So the swell season-damo connection... When damien departed from juniper and started out as a solo artists the frames has been big already in Ireland. Glen helped damien by giving him support slots at gigs..it is the irony of life that now damo is more well-known in the world and having glen with the swell season to support him over in the u.s..they've been friends for ages

As for the similairity you mentioned...well yes...glen knows marketa since she was 14 and they started to play over in the Czech in small pubs and all.then last year got an opportunity to record a few songs which has been released as the swell season..to be honest with you there is a healthy competition between damo and glen(there were times when it was a bit nasty according to some people... as the rumour says 'fake' was written about damien..but nobody knows for sure except the one who wrote it...) i think glen found a new inspiration in mar(kind of what lisa and damo had).also both couple was/is dating in real life...

i do think too there is a similairity with the female vocalist thing and do agree that noone can top lisa, she is class, no matter how one tries.for glen the swell season meant a totally different direction from the angry-raging-doubting song-writing he does in the frames though.

to me glen's tone of songwriting is so totally different though from damien's.hansard is a very sensitive, emotional, fiery person, damien is more of a scientist, remote poet type who for sure knows how to put on an agressive performance but he does it with a certain elegant,distant grace(if this makes sence to any of youse...)..in my opinion...

as for the song-writing together..when glen shot once last year in dublin he was to write the songs for it..some stuff was already written(these songs are on the swell season too) but a few were in progress and he asked Damien to co-write some stuff with him..'when ur mind's made up' and 'leave' are the two results of this collaboration as far as i remember well..

For Cille and tuckatangent...

Yeah Cille ur right..but if you'd say here in Ireland to frames fans that Burn The Maps is the best album, probably 80% of them would say no. Personally I love that album a lot but I think it is a hard one to listen to if u haven't heard any other stuff from the lads.It has very dissonant arrangements and raging,low mood lyrics.....

I wouldn't go with that first. The set list is good cause it gives u straight the opportunity to get to know what this band is the best at(i would dare say the best in the world at this moment)laying live...loads of people listen to a frames studio album and it takes them long to digest, to understand the music,to get what they are about..but if they go to a gig they are hooked in the very first 5 minutes because the band comes across so strong and engages the audience (believe me i know what im talking about..i have seen them 21 times at home and all over Europe..sometimes they had bad nights like everyone else and u don't get the satisfaction out of it as much you'd love to, but even on the bad nights they deliver!)

If you don't wanna try Set List then yeah, For The Birds or the Cost are more gentle ones to start with. but if you are courageous enough and like the edgy, pushing-boundaries stuff then go for Fitzcarraldo or Dance the Devil..

whichever album u choose tuckatangent, if it doesn't feel right for the first listen, give it a go again and once again and u'll be surprised how the music feels once it gets through the initial doubting...

As for the tours....yeah they do tours in the u.s. and canada each year..actually they have just finished the U.S. tour 3 weeks ago..they will be back around september-october so watch out for them...till then they have a couple of gigs lined up in ireland and europe

if you wanna get a taste of a u.s. gig ....u can go to the following link and listen to the full concert they just had in Washington at the end of April...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=9796328

hope i didn't tire u out much...when it comes to the frames i can talk for ages..

and to back to damien....got a video for youse from the frames' new years eve gig..damo dropped in to sing three songs..here is 'cheers darling'..enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcVIZ2c2hvE
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #21
cille
creepycute

well I guess I like the darker notes of Burn the maps. Set list was too sing-along for me - I guess the only real way to get to know rames is to have an actual live gig experience with them. I am really disappointed in The Cost so I don't know if it's recommendable for first listens or not.

Borneoman, Star star is from Dance the Devil (and the live albums Breadcrumb Trail and Set list) - thanks again to irishmusiccentral.com for discography!

back to once - it's gotten a really great revew from Rolling Stone Mag:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/.../14501550/once
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #22
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Just getting to know the frames. I love the cost cd, tend to fast forward falling slowly and when your minds made up as i prefer swell season versions.

Really want to see the film, but got a feeling that it might only be shown in art houses, rather than main stream cinemas. Soundtrack sounds good, will def be buying it!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #23
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

@cille: I started with "Burn the Maps" and I loved it! It took a while to get used to it, to fully understand its awesomeness, but then...
Then I couldn't really decide which album to buy next and ended up getting "Dance the Devil..." because I just loved the cover. And I didn't regret it.

But back to "Once": Does anyone know when the movie will be released on DVD? Cause somehow I doubt that the film will be shown in any cinema in my town. And even if they would show it, I don't know if I could bear watching a dubbed version... I just got so used to Glen's voice.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

According to movies.go.com, Once is out NOW in the States!!! But it says limited release, which usually means 2 copies for the whole US, 1 in NY and 1 in LA... hopefully they will expand it!!

Gonna try and get some Frames CD this afternoon at my local record shop!!!! I want Star Star!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Just checked my local 'art' cinema, and Once is coming here on June 8!!! I'm in Santa Cruz, which is by no means a big town, so I assume it's gonna go for a wide release, otherwise it wouldn't play here...
Old 05-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #26
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

I wish it was playing here soon - it'll be probably be a couple weeks. Apparently I just missed an advance screening on the 12th. But I did grab a Frames concert dvd off dime last night, so that's pretty sweet. Glen has such a gorgeous voice. It's so great to find a new band.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #27
Eskimo Regular

Lightbulb

guys,

there is a myspace page for the soundtrack

www.myspace.com/oncesoundtrack

also if you wanna pre-order the limited edition cd signed by glen and mar then go to the movie's myspace site and click on the pre-order link.

www.myspace.com/oncethemovie
Old 05-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for the link!

Just pre-ordered mine.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #29
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
According to movies.go.com, Once is out NOW in the States!!! But it says limited release, which usually means 2 copies for the whole US, 1 in NY and 1 in LA... hopefully they will expand it!!

Gonna try and get some Frames CD this afternoon at my local record shop!!!! I want Star Star!!!!
If you can track down Breadcrumb trail instead of Dance The Devil you'd be making a better buy. It has a better version of Star Star on it, and the album as a whole is one of the best things they've done.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #30
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

are the "once" soundtrack versions different from the swell season versions? i've already purchased the swell season record, and i don't wanna get repeat tracks. but the preorder does sound tempting.