Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Default Clockenflap festival in Hong Kong

Damien has added new dates in South Korea and will be performing at the Clockenflap festival in Hong Kong which runs from November 27-29.

Dang, guess he wont be in NYC for Glen on the 30th

mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Opening song: What if Im wrong
Old 09-02-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
Damien has added new dates in South Korea and will be performing at the Clockenflap festival in Hong Kong which runs from November 27-29.

Dang, guess he wont be in NYC for Glen on the 30th

Sadly, his manager told me in Houston that he will not be at Glen's NYC shows. I wonder when they will announce the 2 November dates in the South? I know Nancy is down to road trip!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i do hope he sings what if i´m wrong... but i´m not sure how likely it´d be. i say good for him going there. he will definitely know what he´s talking about once he gets an idea of what´s going on over there himself, imho.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I bought tickets to Glen in NY and Brooklyn, hoping he would be there. What are the chances that Lisa would open?

Wonder if Damien will be in Florida in November. I would love that! I would also love to go to New Orleans too. I just don't want to miss out on new songs, in case he plays them in November. When does this officially become "excessive?"

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 09-05-2015 at 02:29 AM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but you guys really thought Damo was gonna open for Glen????? maybe the other way around
Old 09-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
but you guys really thought Damo was gonna open for Glen????? maybe the other way around
I never thought he would open for Glen. Just come onstage for a song or 20
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
I never thought he would open for Glen. Just come onstage for a song or 20
Yes. What Mike said.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:19 AM   #9
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I thought a double bill or something. And anyway, he can choose to be humble and open for anyone.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 09-05-2015 at 02:27 AM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #10
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa1992 View Post
Yes. What Mike said.
Yeah what she said
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
carrroline
person

Completely besides the point, but does anyone else think clockenflap is a completely ridiculous name?
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #12
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

yes, sounds more German than Chinese
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
damien lisa
am i breaking u

http://www.timeout.com.hk/music/feat...ockenflap.html
Quote:
Damien Rice on his eight-year hiatus and his upcoming performance at Clockenflap

Posted:
19 Nov 2015

Reluctant star Damien Rice speaks exclusively to Douglas Parkes about clearing his mind, the struggle to finish My Favourite Faded Fantasy and the delights of Iceland

After cornering the market for aching, melancholic pop ballads with his singles The Blower’s Daughter and 9 Crimes – and achieving platinum-sales in the process – Damien Rice vanished off the map. After retreating to Iceland, 2014’s My Favourite Faded Fantasy arrived almost out of nowhere, a full eight years after 9, the singer-songwriter’s previous album. Ahead of his set at Clockenflap, Rice, ever a reluctant star, speaks exclusively to Time Out Hong Kong and begins by telling us why success isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…

After your early solo success you said you felt unhappy and disheartened. What was it about succeeding that didn’t seem to make you happy?

When I had a goal, something to reach for, I postponed happiness in pursuit of that goal, thinking that I’d be happy once I achieved my dream. However, I eventually noticed that achievements only supply short bursts of relative happiness that quickly fade.

I took time off because it didn’t make sense to continue doing something when I was unhappy and I really wanted to figure it out. I can’t say that I found any clear answers but I have noticed that I feel like I was doing it backwards before. I used to think that happiness either happened or it didn’t, depending on what took place in one’s life. Now I’ve realised that, for me, happiness is a decision, in that I just choose to be happy regardless of what’s happening and life happens anyway. So I no longer chase goals thinking they will make me happy – I’ve found that to be an illusion, at least in my experience. Happiness is now a daily practice, much like brushing my teeth.

How bad did your feelings get?

Sometimes it felt as if the meaning had been stripped from my life. But, slowly, as I sat with these uncomfortable feelings, I began to see that they were mostly self-generated – I was actually the one creating and controlling this apparent mess in my head. Much like learning how to play an instrument, I did a lot of practise in learning how to keep my mind in tune, which has helped a lot. It’s very easy to get swallowed by madness or over-control.

You ended up in Iceland. What was it about the country that so appealed to you?

I love the open-mindedness of people there. No particular religion took a strong hold in Iceland, so there’s a different attitude to life, at least among the people I’ve met. Where in Ireland I grew up surrounded by a lot of pointless shame and guilt, Iceland seems to have a lighter load in that department.

There’s also an openness about following one’s artistic dreams in that country. People don’t seem to mind if their artistic ideas are considered unusual or crazy, they just go ahead and do it, and people support each other in it. It’s quite beautiful and inspiring.

What was it like working with Rick Rubin on My Favourite Faded Fantasy (MFFF)? What did he help contribute?

The relationship between us felt very nurturing. Rick has a great way of helping to entice the artistry to come through. Creatively, I was quite blocked and Rick helped to open the channels so that the music could flow. He also helped me put away the scissors that I’d used to cut up and throw out unfinished ideas. He helped me to stop judging my work and instead to see it through to the end.

The latest album’s gestation was a long one. Was there any particular aspect that was difficult to pin down?

The whole process was difficult. I had fallen out of the flow, that innocent and magical place where songs and ideas just flow through the body. I’d become quite self-conscious and self-critical and was caught in a loop of destroying everything that came through me with negative criticism.

Would you say your live shows are any different after all this time, compared to before? What should the HK audience prepare for ahead of Clockenflap?
I’m touring solo, so the emphasis is very much on the songs. I don’t make set lists and I prefer to walk out and see where the concert takes me. There’s a certain relief and pressure about playing solo with no set list, but overall this makes for a more fulfilling experience for me.

Do you think with MFFF and the recent songs for The Prophet you’re back to releasing music on a more regular basis?

Who knows! What I will say is that I’m feeling very creative and inspired to release a lot of music, I’ll just have to wait and see if that happens…
Old 11-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Did he play this already?
I don't know, I'm a bit dizzy with the timezone difference

I think there's a livestream http://www.clockenflap.com/live

edit: looks like he should be starting now but all of the sudden video changed to private

Last edited by eva_arg; 11-27-2015 at 11:38 AM.
eva_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
glo32
Eskimo Regular

missed it!! so, was it available online?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

^nope. Stream cut just before he was going on stage. Ride played next but there wasn't any sound. I still don't know if it was tech difficulties or what.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

short setlist didn't know this was a festival thought it was a proper show

Delicate
Elephant
9 Crimes
Volcano
The Greatest Bastard
I Remember
The Blower's Daughter
It Takes a Lot to Know a Man
Old 11-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

And even worst setlist
In Singapour
Boo at Damo for just
Playing 2 MFFF songs
In the last show of the tour
I would have asked for my money back
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/damien...-13f28d29.html
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
I would have asked for my money back
that´s because you have been so spoiled, marti

check this out
http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...18&postcount=1
Old 12-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I'm not saying I want rarities at each gig, but come on playing just 2 songs of MFFF is not enough... someone tell Damo that the O tour finished 10 years ago
Old 12-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #21
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
I'm not saying I want rarities at each gig, but come on playing just 2 songs of MFFF is not enough... someone tell Damo that the O tour finished 10 years ago
true ... but the vibe, the interaction and what everybody gets is what makes a good/great/amazing gig, imho. setlist is just a plus
that said, i don´t understand why he only played 2 MFFF songs :/ you just found yourself a new mission at next damien´s gig, marti

Last edited by verenita; 12-01-2015 at 01:11 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #22
muan
Eskimo Baby

Phew, finally got my account approved. I have been lurking on the forum for years, and have got an account some years ago, but it never got approved . I messaged the eskimo Facebook page and seems like that did the trick!

I was there at Clockenflap and it was my first Damien gig. I have never had much luck being at the right city at the right time even though I do spend a lot of time in EU/US...:/ This time I flew to HK just for Clockenflap on my way to Tokyo.

Though however short, it was very satisfying since I've been dreaming about this for years and years I think given many people might be seeing him for the first time the setlist, *kind of* make sense.

I made this recoding with my phone in the bag so it's kind of muffled. https://soundcloud.com/muanchiou/dam...p-2015/s-f0jNT (should be downloadable)

I was on the side on the first row. As always at concerts you get people singing very loudly standing next to you, I was quite annoyed at one point, but luckily most of my loud singing neighbours I had didn't know many songs. hehe.

He didn't start on time due to light issues, as far as I know he was the only one on the main stage who brought special set of lights which I thought was a really nice touch. Other groups either use the screen or just defaulted to the "CLOCKENFLAP" text on the back.

Personally I'd really love to have heard Cheers Darling and What if I'm wrong, and would definitely prefer to go to a much smaller gig (how?!) – but oh well.

Here are some pictures I took:

(http://cl.ly/1r2v3b3w2i3m/damo1.jpg)

<3

Last edited by muan; 12-18-2015 at 01:52 AM.
muan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #23
carrroline
person

Welcome

Aw, he's getting very furry again. (i approve)
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #24
damien lisa
am i breaking u

hmm, when did the sing along movement begin?