Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
administrator
forum administrator

Default possible songs on the next album

just thought it might be useful to list all the non-O songs that Damien has been playing recently, so we can see what might be on the 2nd album:

The Blower's Daughter Part II
Woman Like A Man
Accidental Babies
Rootless Tree
Nine Crimes
Grey Room

A couple of songs we don't know the names to...

what else?

Me, My Yoke and I?

Last edited by administrator; 07-27-2006 at 10:43 PM.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
thirsty
Eskimo Friend

well, on the copy of 'o' i bought in france, woman like a man featured as a hidden track, and as it already appeared on b-sides i cant imagine it making another appeance, well, i hope it does'nt.................
thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
brookefield
slightly colder water...

yes, i agree with you about woman like a man thirsty.

i'm also not sure about rootless tree. i mean, i personally love that song, and would be thrilled to see it on the album.....however, i'm not entirely sure that damien would put a song with "f*ck you" as the chorus on his shiny new little album. thats rather bold.

but then again, damien tends to be a bold little fellow...
Old 07-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

GREY ROOM has to be there!!!!! I so can see it as album opener!!!!!!!!!! He opened the Concord concert with Grey Room and it was just amazing!!!!!

I'd also think CHILDISH will be on the 2nd album... Someone yesterday even posted that Childish could be the album title (hope not , which would almost guarantee the track Childish to be on it...

Then there is:
TONGUE
INSANE
SAND
RULE NUMBER TWO
WEATHERMAN
BABY SISTER
THEN GO

All the above are amazing, so there should be also on Album 2!!!!

I agree with the posts above. There is no way Woman like a Man will be on the 2nd album. It's one of the official o b-sides along with The Professor and Lonelilly.

And I also agree regarding Rootless Tree. I think it's a superb song, Looooove it but don;t see an album track with a chorus that goes F* u, F* u
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
administrator
forum administrator

Well, I'm pretty sure that both Woman Like a Man and Rootless Tree will be on the album... I think he said before that Woman Like a Man would be on it... and he's been playing Rootless Tree pretty consistently recently, so I'm surprised you think that wouldn't be on it.

I really doubt that Childish will be on this album, it doesn't seem to fit the mood of the album that he's talked about.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
just thought it might be useful to list all the non-O songs that Damien has been playing recently, so we can see what might be on the 2nd album:

The Blower's Daughter Part II
Woman Like A Man
Accidental Babies
Rootless Tree
Nine Crimes

A couple of songs we don't know the names to...

what else?
I agree entirely with this list... and I'd add "Then Go".
Old 07-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
ru_benr
Eskimo

Default Argh

I hope that "the blower's daughter 2'will be on the new album....but i think that damien should give us new songs...i've already heard of the songs mentioned...i love them and all..but its been five years since "O" came out..definately should have new material....
i loved this one song he sang here in Chicago..
its starts.."this wouldnt have happened if i hadnt missed my plane.....'
Thats a great new song...i hadnt heard of it before....
ru_benr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru_benr
i've already heard of the songs mentioned...i love them and all..but its been five years since "O" came out..definately should have new material....
It's been four years since O came out, if you live outside ireland, it's been three years since you've been able to buy it. If you've already gotten tired of the songs you downloaded from the internet, then you should have waited. It's not simply a matter of him deciding that it would be better to release an album of songs that's he's never played live before. He doesn't write songs very often according to himself. It would be completely senseless to abandon 40+ songs just because some bootlegs made their way onto the internet.

An album worth making is the one that draws on the best material.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
Ashley
Eskimo Friend

[quote=borneoman]GREY ROOM has to be there!!!!! I so can see it as album opener!!!!!!!!!! He opened the Concord concert with Grey Room and it was just amazing!!!!!

I have never heard this song, but I sure would love to...hint hint :smiley2

As for the other songs, I don't mind to hear them again, at a better quality. I'm just super excited for a new album!

And why would Damien shy away from a song with **** you for a chorus? maybe the powers that be wouldn't like it, but I don't even really see that. People love a good **** you
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
dramaking
King of Pain

i would so love to hear studio versions of nine crimes and accidental babies!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
jasonAVO
This message has been deleted by jasonAVO. Reason: because im being cyber stalked by someone and want to get rid of personal stuff
Old 07-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
WEATHERMAN

Never ever ever gonna happen. Hate to break it to you.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Timeé
Intello

okay for the next album would there be any chance that he has taken songs NOT featured on O but Recorded FOR O.

i think he says before playing the song 'Groovin' that this is one of the songs recorded for O but didnt make it ; maybe it will be on the next one

"GROOOO...hooooooviiin"
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think it would be weird if Woman like a Man turns into Album 2... I've always seen it as an O b-side... she had her chance but didn't make it to O (although it should have). Considering the lots of new songs he has, Woman like a man should give way to the newies!!!

Regarding 'bad language'... I always assumed that that was the reason why The Professor was not included in O...
Old 07-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

I'm not an angry person but one of my favorite damien rice songs is rootless tree and i only have one live version of it. who cares if he drops the f bomb in the chorus. and ADMIN and others debating the WLAM on new album, have other artists been known to release a song like this on a b-sides, thats a few years old and then release it on a forthcoming album? Im really asking because I don't know. I bet he might just because IT IS what the new album is all about. (and like u said admin, he is playing it a lot)

I don't see tongue being on there because BellX1 has released it on album, nor do I see weatherman being on there. Grey Room and Fool could be on there. I love both of them. I don't see Childish being on there but I could be wrong.

I love Then Go, but would prefer it if Lisa sang it actually...or maybe both of them? I just know from the juniper version and damien singing 'then go', i prefer lisa singing it, but again, its a damien rice cd so i cant complain either way.

I still say though that there will be one or two songs on the album that none of us will never have heard. That is what I'm thinking, anyone disagree? Just wondering your thoughts.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

looking at all the songs on O... I don't see Professor fitting in between any of those songs.

Quote:
I think it would be weird if Woman like a Man turns into Album 2... I've always seen it as an O b-side... she had her chance but didn't make it to O (although it should have). Considering the lots of new songs he has, Woman like a man should give way to the newies!!!

Regarding 'bad language'... I always assumed that that was the reason why The Professor was not included in O...

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Nine crimes is my favourite song of his so I really, REALLY hope it'll be on the next album.
But what about cross-eyed bear? I don't know if he's played it live but according to Q it's a taster of his next album.. I don't know.
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Don't believe everything you read in Q...or in general
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #18
Bumpman

We've had about three of these threads before, they all say pretty much the same thing.

Probably: Blower's Daughter Part II, Accidental Babies, Then Go, Nine Crimes, Woman Like A Man
Maybe: Grey Room, Baby Sister, Rootless Tree, Fool
Unlikely: Sand, Toffee Pop, Tongue, Insane (according to Vvy)
Never: Groovin', Childish
Old 07-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

What about Rule Number Two?? I'm so addicted to it right now!!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
brookefield
slightly colder water...

i actually don't even wanna think about whats going to be on the next album...i wan't to be as surprised as i possibly can, and from the way its looking, the odds are against me.

so from this point on my eyes and ears are sealed shut as tightly as Mother Mary's chastity belt..
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #21
administrator
forum administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
I'm not an angry person but one of my favorite damien rice songs is rootless tree and i only have one live version of it. who cares if he drops the f bomb in the chorus. and ADMIN and others debating the WLAM on new album, have other artists been known to release a song like this on a b-sides, thats a few years old and then release it on a forthcoming album? Im really asking because I don't know.
yeah, i'm sure a lot of bands have. one example is the frames' "Caution to the birds"... the only released version of WLAM is a pretty-much acoustic version... i think the new album will have a loud electric version of the song... [ like the version here] it's never been properly released. damien has said in the past that it would be on the 2nd album.

he's also mentioned that "me, my yoke and i" will be on it.

but i'm really just wondering what other non-O tracks have been played on this latest tour, as that's probably the best indicator of what we can expect

Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #22
Bumpman

Quote:
I can't imagine 'Rule Number 2' would ever be released, unless it's on some rarities box set in twenty years. It's not really a great song, and it only gets worse when he starts counting out rules. The lyrics are just awful... Especially when you consider that songs like 'Delicate' and 'Accidental Babies' came from the same creative mind. Put it this way, there's a reason that there's only one known recording of it.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #23
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Worst Damien Rice song I've ever heard. Shockingly bad.

"Rule Number One": ... Don't ever talk about "Rule Number Two".

Last edited by Banjaxed; 07-27-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Banjaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #24
Bumpman

I forgot about 'Me, My Yoke And I' actually, that's a shoe-in for the next album. I'd love to hear the full band version of 'Woman Like A Man' getting a proper airing. Vyvienne has some fantastic new cello parts for it that have gone largely unappreciated.

You wouldn't really know with those very new songs (as yet untitled it seems). Everyone seems to think that they'll definitely be on the new album, but I wonder if they're even fully finished yet. Some of the stuff that he's been playing since 2001 has totally changed in terms of how the band interprets it now, as opposed to how they used to.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #25
audity
High-Five Eskimo

DAMIEN RICE'S NEW ALBUM

[Disc 1]
1. Grey Room
2. Sand
3. The Blower's Daughter Part II
4. Baby Sister
5. (I'm So) Childish
6. Then Go
7. The Blower's Daughter Part III
8. The Blower's Daughter Part IV
9. The Blower's Daughter Part V

[Disc 2]
A bunch of songs we don't know the names of or never heard before.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #26
brookefield
slightly colder water...

you're a dandy little dreamer audity....
Old 07-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #27
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Right on. F*ck the h8-ahs, "Rule No. 2" is a great song!

I actually wrote an in-depth analytical defense of its lyrics a long time ago but never got around to posting it. People seem to misunderstand and miss the layers of psychological complexity. I'll try to find and finish the draft of what I wrote and start a new thread for it soon.

BTW, Ya wanna talk about bad lyrics, huh? "Weatherman" and "Moody Mooday" are absolutely embarrassing. I'll chalk "She" up to hopefully verrrrry unfinished. Even Damo can't win 'em all.

Back O.T.

Random order most likely songs on the new album: (some are unofficial titles)

1) Didn't Take Long
2) You Can
3) Want to be Wanted
4) Fool
5) Rootless Tree (absolutely will be on it- see NIN's "closer" for a "F*ck you" chorus )
6) Blower's Daughter pt. 2
7) Grey Room
8) Tongue and/or Face (screw Bell X-1. Did that stop him from recording "Volcano"?)
9) Insane
10) Me, My Yoke & I
11) Cross-eyed Bear
12) Accidental Babies
13) Rule No. 2
14) The Professor (would fit perfectly and though the B-sides live version is already perfection he's not released a studio one)
Lyrically the angry "Sand" fits really well but it still may be for the planned upbeat third record (which would have stuff like "Bottom Shelf", "Front Door", "Girl That Does Yoga" etc.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
Bumpman

I'm not entirely sure if I should be saying this (again), but vyvienne told one of our beloved eskimos that 'Insane' wouldn't be on the album because it was "old". The reasoning behind it seems to be getting away from the Juniper stuff, not that there's anything wrong with it, but it always seemed strange to me that the band would put 'Jewellery Box/Cross-eyed Bear' on a compilation cd instead of saving its magnificence for an album release. And maybe they still will. But their attitude (justifiably enough) is that new songs are better.

I could see 'Face' as a definite contender for the album or as a b-side (actually it's already been released on a compilation). But 'Tongue' is a different story altogether, the thing about BellX1's 'Neither Am I' album is that it's just not had much attention paid to it by the band or the fans, thus 'Volcano' and 'Face' are fair game. 'Tongue' however is a hit single for them, and still gets rotated as a music video, which they value quite a bit. It always seemed to me that Damien releasing that song would overshadow their release of it with an (arguably) worse version of the song. It just wouldn't be fair.

'The Professor' was recorded for "O", and to the best of my knowledge was replaced with 'Cannonball' at Lisa's insistence. The difference between it and 'Woman Like A Man' is that 'The Professor' was a b-side and 'Woman Like A Man' was the title track of an EP. The difference being that EP's are usually a taste of what's to come, whereas a b-side is just something that didn't quite fit, and if 'The Professor' didn't fit on "O" then I just can't see it fitting on an angry album.

As for 'Rule No. 2'... The only recording 'out there' is from a late night radio session just after he had come back to Ireland from Italy. Which was over six years ago, whether or not you think it's a good song is irrelevant. Because it seems as far as Damien is concerned, it hasn't been worth playing even once since then.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #29
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

oops never realised Rule no2 had only been played once...

So which other songs are ffrom the Juniper days apart from Tongue??
Old 07-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #30
Bumpman

Volcano, Eskimo, I Remember, Amie, Cold Water (Music, Not Lyrics), Woman Like A Man, Then Go, Face, Me My Yoke And I, The Professor, Toffee Pop, Cross-eyed Bear/Jewellery Box, Wooden Horse, Sex Change, Tongue and Insane. There's others too but he doesn't play them very often. Obviously reading that leads you to a few songs that will more or less definitely be on the next album, I would have always thought 'Insane' was an obvious choice... But there you are, one doesn't argue with the horse's mouth I suppose.

The difference though, is that out of all those songs, The only one listed that ever saw an official release by Juniper was 'Insane'. And while it's quite likely that no-one would really notice, I suppose it's the band's choice at the end of the day, not ours.