Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #31
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

I agree almost entirely with Bumpman.

Also, I can't see "It didn't take you long..." on the new album. But that's just me.

I guess you are right, it is up to the band.

I don't like Rule #2, nor do I hate it, but can definitely say I would prefer a new song or somethign different on the cd.

And I never knew Professor was supposed to be on 'O'. I really don't see it fitting on there considering the other songs. Just because it's ... i dont know how to say it, its just different.

Also, how is the Juniper version of 'Insane?' I've never heard it, I knew there was one but just never paid enough attention. (maybe psych out by Vyv and the title of the album will be 'Insane'. Seems like a good one to me. But it's been done ha.

I really hope Fool is on there.

I don't see Face fitting on the new album. But I'm prolly wrong. I hope I am, because a studio version would be awesome. I love the live version where he busts out some Prince. "I want to sing you a bit of my favorite dancing song..." "You don't have to be beautiful...." great.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #32
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

For the record Damien played Rule Number live in France back in 2004-ish. It was in a completely different key though.

mickey13086, I have to say I quite like the Juniper version of Insane. At first I thought it felt a little restrained but it has really grown on me. It feels quite dark and heavy, and Vyv's outro is beautiful.

Sean, I thought Volcano was a b-side on the 2nd cd of World Is Dead? Along with Wooden Horse I think...
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #33
Bumpman

Insane was the first song on their 'Manna' EP, it came out in 1995 so it's probably one of the the oldest Juniper songs that you can actually get your hands on (since it seems the J-Plane tape just vanished into thin air), it predates the Weatherman single by about three years. Vyvienne actually played the cello parts on it when Juniper recorded it too, oddly enough.

I had completely forgotten about that second version of 'World Is Dead'... I don't know whether there was even very many copies of it produced.

Last edited by Bumpman; 07-28-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #34
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
2) You Can
its cocunut skins!!!!!!!! i won that particular entourage mr.spamlet.

stand and fight you scurvy cur
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #35
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
(since it seems the J-Plane tape just vanished into thin air),
Not quite my friend. Not quite.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 07-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #36
Bumpman

Do you have J-Plane?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #37
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

An actual copy...no. I do have the music and artwork though

Edit: It was a personal favour from a friend and isn't mine to distribute.

-- Simon Armitage

Last edited by Closing_Doors; 07-28-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #38
filledanse
Eskimo Regular

my god, you're surely the envy of just about every eskimo friend here!!
filledanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #39
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

It bears little resemblance to what came after. I imagine a lot of ye wouldn't particularly like it. I do though...to think they were my age when they released it.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 07-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #40
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I was thinking that if we take a look at which unreleasedsongs he's played on this tour... maybe that would give us an indication of which ones might show up in Album 2...

I think TBD2 is the one played the most... Also he's playing quite a lot Accidental babies, 9 Crimes, Rootles tree, Me my yoke & I, Grey room plus the I want you to want me song. I think at least once he's played Then Go and Childish.

Has he played any of the following: Sand, Insane, Face, Fool, Tongue, Baby sister, Bottom shelf, Front door, Boring afternoon, Lazy situation, Toffee pop, Groovin?????????????????????????????????
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #41
mickey13086

If Then Go did make it onto the cd... would you want Lisa singing? Do you think that is even a possibility, because I've said it before, her singing it seems that much more haunting and better in my opinion, although maybe with more of a rockier feel that has been seen with Then Go in recent months, maybe Damien singing would be better suited, although I still prefer Lisa.

Share your thoughts on this because it's one of my favorite mp3's...forget where it takes place, but with Lisa singing and Damien on backing vocals.

Maybe I'll make a poll.

MySpace
Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #42
Bumpman

It was released on 'Live at the Union Chapel' a few years back, I can't imagine that anyone in their right mind would want to hear Damien singing that on the album.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #43
Timeé
Intello

i do !! i think its the best i've ever heard Lisa sing.

wasnt fond of the key change though
made it sound like westlife
Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #44
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Well considering Then Go dates back to 96-ish (i.e. before those Westlife muppets hatched from their test tubes) you can't really complain.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 08-03-2006, 04:08 AM   #45
emmy
Eskimo Friend

I always kind of viewed Rule Number 2 as a bit of a work in progress - it just seems like the mp3 I have of it isn't perfected yet. Kind of like how Volcano has evolved from the '97 Demo that's on B-Sides. Maybe he's not actually working on it, but I wouldn't mind if he did b/c I think the song has potential.

And I would love, love, love for It Didn't Take You Long to be on the new album, but I have a feeling a studio version of that song wouldn't be half as good as the live version.
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #46
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Quote:
Aug.2006 - Fionn Regan returns his debut album The End Of History on Aug 25. Josh Ritter will release a strictly limited Irish only 'Good Man' EP on Aug 18. The Frames release a new single 'Falling Slowly' on Sep 1 with album on Sep 22. Simple Kid releases double-A-sided 'Seratonin/Ballad Of Elton John' on Sep 8 with his 2nd album SK2 to follow on Sep 29. Debut album from Neosupervital released in September with tour. New album from Damien Rice to be released in December. THE FRAMES Live from Lollapalooza - August 6, 9:30GMT
From, Irish Busic Central! Dont know how reliable this is though!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #47
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

good lord i hope that is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #48
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

I'd imagine that's based on the rumours circulating here.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #49
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Just scanned through this thread, is he playing a lot of Juniper songs on tour then? Have to say I find that a bit odd.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #50
Satyagrahi
Eskimo Baby

Yeah, ive been reading alot of your thoughts and im not entirely sure if thats what i think will be on the next album. I have to say i think all those people who have ideas that BDP2, woman like a man, cross eyed bear etc all of those songs that are around the releasing of "O" or have already been released on another ablum i think damien will be trying to get away from those songs more than ever in the studio the second time round.

And he has said that himself. I know your argument may be that hes been playing them an awful lot lately, but i think when he gets into the studio he will deliberatly not have played 4 or 5 songs which he intends to be on the next album. songs which no one has heard until the release. I think songs like accidental babies, me my yoke and i, coconut skins, etc have a very good chance of being on the album. but not anything that goes back to "o", because i think that defeats the whole purpose of why we have all waited sooooo long for the second album, because damien would not not not realease a second "0", he just wouldnt do it because hes that kind of artist.
Satyagrahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #51
Bumpman

The album's already recorded. The reason he's playing the songs that he's been playing is because those are the one's that'll be on the album. That's what musicians do, they become interested in playing certain songs, they release them, and tour them. He's explicitly stated on numerous occasions that 'The Blower's Daughter Part II' will definitely be on the next album. It's a really lovely idea to think that we'd all be surprised by new songs that no-one's heard before but the truth is that; if it hasn't been released, it can still be released.

The price of spending years bootlegging recordings of songs that we weren't supposed to have heard on tape, is not having any surprises in store. Does it really seem logical to you that he'd throw out some of the best songs he's ever written because a few hundred people in the trading community heard a bootleg recording from a minidisc player? No-one is that kind of artist. Not to mention that Damien very rarely writes songs, his going rate is two or three a year. He doesn't have enough songs to expend for our benefit.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 AM   #52
Satyagrahi
Eskimo Baby

Yeah thats true, and im not saying that just because all us eskimos have heard it means it old and therefore wont be on the album, of course thats not true, and its our fault really that there may be no songs we havent heard on the album. But what im trying to say is i just dont think that there will be any songs that have anything to do with "O". BDP2 may be an execption if he said its definatly goign to be on there but things like woman like a man, rule number 2, insane, childish, then go, sand, etc i just dont think will be on there, i just have a hunch, i dont know, i could quite possibly be wrong. But its just a feeling i get, Mr Rice did say that the next album would be the "complete opposite of "o" " its not acoustic, melancholic, its heavy and hard. Thats my logic to thinking he has a few tricks still up his sleave. I know that artists tour for there upcoming album, and of course thats what he's doing, but i think hes also having fun while he does it, mixing the old with the new, still playing songs he likes to play or whatever hes in the mood for that night. Hes still trying to get bigger in the US anyway, so why not play songs from the "o" era, as they were brilliant.

I just wouldnt be surprised is all that im trying to say, and i wouldnt be surprised if the real tour for the next album came after the release date.
Satyagrahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #53
Bumpman

Yeah, the big tour comes after the release date obviously enough, but the warm-up tour is a fairly strong indication of the material that they're trying to roadtest for an audience night after night. When you see a list of songs that have been played either every night or almost every night, how could they not be the one's they're trying to get comfortable with? To the best of my recollection damien is rarely the type to have tricks up his sleeve. At this point if the trick was an album I'd settle for it.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #54
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Not to mention that Damien very rarely writes songs, his going rate is two or three a year. He doesn't have enough songs to expend for our benefit.
as opposed to thirteen songs a week?!!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #55
Bumpman

All that playing with himself has ruined his imagination, he's lucky he's not blind... On the upside I know where he can get some bog roll.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #56
OrangeKnickers
Buttons For Eyes

I am hoping for "The girl that does Yoga" - i'm quite fond of that song.
OrangeKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #57
mickey13086

I personally do not think that Girl that does yoga will be on the next album, but what do I know...I've only heard one version and it seemed very new so maybe its changed a bit but doesnt fit my 2nd album.....BUT WHO AM I?? I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.. i think im just gonna sit back and wait now cuz either way, new or old or both, it'll still be in my player, and there will still be a smile on me face...or at least im betting their will be.

MySpace
Old 08-11-2006, 05:18 AM   #58
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

there were songs he played last tour that still haven't seen the light of day.. i'd kind of like to hear those on the new album..

i've let go of the notion of it being only angry songs.. he said that a long time ago, maybe his mood has improved since then
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #59
gregamiepgy
marsh - wiggle

'Live at the Union Chapel' must be re-released!! It's so unfair for us who don't have it.

Mrs Doyle: Fr Todd Unctuous?
New Priest: [Suddenly elated] YES! WELL DONE!
gregamiepgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #60
Bumpman

That means quite a few of us believe it or not, unless you went to see the band in the states in '03 and picked it up there you'd have to buy it on ebay. I actually asked damien personally a few years ago if he'd consider having it sold from the online shop or something. He said that there were issues with licensing that particular release of it again, and that you'd be far more likely to see the whole show coming out on a dvd or something. Two years ago it might have been a possibility, if he did it now people would probably think it's the new album and try to buy it. You have to remember that usually band's only release a live album after they have four or five other releases under their belt. There's not much point in releasing it again.