Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 08-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Kateling
Eskimo Baby

Default The Motives- Hardcore Insanity is alive and well in Wexford

We were at a gig, oh it was brilliant. Well, just one band and I'm not so good with words so I'm gonna let Sean do the talking...

"Ladies and gentlemen, I happened by chance rather than design to attend a gig at the Dun Mhuire in Wexford on the 20th August 2005. I know from personal experience that the Dun Mhuire crowd can be lethargic at best but...

the Motives managed not only to excite and delight the crowd with their particular brand of gaelic ska-punker dudeness but summon the masses to band together and form a conga line. Snaking around the large hall as the strangely OC-esque singer chanted "conga line, conga line" was one of the best gig experiences I have had this year. Their set featured megaphones, a defiantly crossdressing guitarist, a sign (home made), a skull, a body painted drummer, 3 part crooked harmonies and a song about Boston Public (the singers favourite show). If you ever get a chance to see this band, please do not hesitate to both attend and advertise so that others may luxuriate in the rapture that is The Motives.

" RALPH, RALPH, RALPH, RALPH RALPHIN' AROUND (we're ralphin' around)" "

Back to me. Just to say, if anyone has any information whatsoever on these guys, has heard of them or seen them play, let me know...
Kateling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Kateling
Eskimo Baby

I found a little more information on them by the way...they won Best Song with their composition White Kids in the Eileen Aroon Battle of the Bands (in Bunclody I think, it being in the Meadowlands was also mentioned but I'm not 100% sure where that is...)...I'll update this when I find out more in the hope that someone can help me!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

*Clap clap clap* Sean!! Well done indeed! I see now why you win those journalist award thingies!! Well I know how they are too.. I remember them playing around March 2004 or so. They wore big sunglasses & as far as I can remember they were pretty good (but then again I was more interested in the chap sitting beside me!! ).
crackpotcuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Kateling
Eskimo Baby

Isn't he deadly! I was gigging at the Dun Mhuire a lot at one stage, not anymore, but these guys escaped my knowledge until now even though they have played there before. I found out that they most definitly are a Bunclody band and do actually have a bass player, he just wasn't there at the gig that I was at. More interested in the guy next to you, typical...(shakes head)...only messing! They might be playing at one of the Enniscorthy Live and Loud shows sometime in the up and coming months and of course I will be keeping tabs on their appearances at the Dun Mhuire!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Gaslight
bass face

I'm not that deadly really.More sort of infectious and viral.

I met two of the guys from the band at the pixies gig on tuesday.They were real sound and I gave them my number so I can try help them get gigs in kilkenny.They probably wouldn't call, seen as I came across as a complete ****ing header.They're a brilliant band though, please please please go and see them, you won't be dissapointed.

ah they're brilliant
Well, beatniks for one, folk singers and motorbike riders. Y'know. All those hip, jazzy, super cool, neat, keen, and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o! Are you hip to the jive? Can you dig what I'm layin' down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother!
Gaslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Gaslight
bass face

Skills to pay the bills
Of course you could only ever have one first time seeing the motives. It has as to be the way. I mean the first cut is always the deepest and the first hill is always the steepest, right? Well you’re wrong (well technically I’m wrong but we wouldn’t dabble in semantics). The second time you see the motives is even better because you get over the initial shock of the whole thing. You’re sort of semi-prepared for all the mad stuff that’s going to be going on onstage and you can listen to the music. Oh the music. Ironically enough for a band with the best stage show around, they’re the ones who need it the least. Tighter than an ugly nun’s chastity belt, they sound like no one else and they’ve got some proper music to ram in your ears. Apparently there really is an endless supply of original, catchy, cool and weird riffs out there. Who knew? This band has sole possession of it though. Greedy ****ers. Really bouncy and really unique riffs are hard to find these days. In fact, a young band whose musical description isn’t heavy (and/or death) metal,indie or “mainly covers”(god help us all) is hard to find round my way these days. Luckily the lads don’t seem to conform to any genre really. So obviously they just though “**** it, let’s make one up”. Lyrical content is A one too (from what I could make out). Not one song about wanting to kill yourself or eat your parents. One song’s lyrics consisted solely of one of my favorite jokes ever. The best part was that guitarist seemed to think it was genuinely funny. I know, I know you still don’t really know what they sound like.Sorry, but it’s hard, ok? Sort of wonky, deranged, jerky Scooby-doo-****-you background music. And that’s just one of the songs. This time the stage gimmicks included: Jeff(main vocals/guitars that go twang) dressed like one of the village people on Pcp, Ian (backing vocals/guitars that go zang) with gaffer tape choking his mouth and arm, Owen(drums that go bang) painted red, a mystery box full of t-shirts, two fairy-lighted branch endowed Ms and the loud hailer making a welcome return. That’s just what I can remember off-hand. Hey, if you’re looking for showmanship: make mine the motives. The best thing being of course, it never feels forced. Never once did you receive any message deviating from: the stage is where we live. Even with all this mad **** they can still be ****ing intense when they want to. I wish I knew what the songs were called so I could tell you how great they are but I never had the foresight to grab myself a set list. Even then, I probably just tell you the truth: they sound like themselves. There’s bits of: ska, eastern folk music(swear to god), shouty punk, thinky punk and loads of other **** I can’t understand. It’s was great, you can see by the wildy unstructured, school girly nature of the review how giddy it makes me thinking about it. Highlight you ask? It has to be the tender loving flair of the camp fire sing along :“Ralphing around” . The fact it sound-tracked the girlfriend’s tug of war with another girl over a customized t-shirt was even better(she lost, but yer one had a team of four ). Brilliant gig basically and a no-brainer for the battle of the bands first place. **** Jesus, I found the motives.
Well, beatniks for one, folk singers and motorbike riders. Y'know. All those hip, jazzy, super cool, neat, keen, and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o! Are you hip to the jive? Can you dig what I'm layin' down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother!
Gaslight is offline   Reply With Quote