Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Default Betrayed By Damien?

I know that he is a busy man, but ive been a fan of an irish singer songwriter and i'm Irish, and ive never had a chance to see him live! I know he used be around earlier on but i was too young! and i know he is involved with Burma but still shouldnt he make time for his fans?? I mean i love his music but its not like he is a god and we cant say when he is being a bit of a langer, right? anyone with me!?

..... thought not....
Old 10-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

lol, he's not here for his fans.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
administrator
forum administrator

hey macfriend... i don't know any musician who's toured as much as him in the last few years. he's played non-stop until earlier this year when he took a well earned break and worked on finishing his album. he played in dublin earlier this year and i'm sure he'll do a full irish tour early in 2006 at the latest.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
NaturalMystic
Eskimo Friend

Hell the way i see it ur lucky u've had tons of chances to see him... Im pretty sure hes only been to ohio once... and of course it was right before I got into his music. I can't wait for the new tour!!
NaturalMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 AM   #5
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMystic
Hell the way i see it ur lucky u've had tons of chances to see him... Im pretty sure hes only been to ohio once... and of course it was right before I got into his music. I can't wait for the new tour!!
I agree (I know damien was in Cali more than once but I wasn't able to see him)

I do not feel betrayed at all because Damien never promised anything or agreed to anything/signed a contract in blood ...then again I am more patient than most.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

i dono im just frustrated cause im in Cork and havent had a real chance to see him in the last like 2 years... he may have been in dublin once or twice since then but still.

ya it'd be a balls not to be anywhere near him allright but i dono i think when he has an album that does so well he does have a committment to his fans... and i also know O is pretty old now but still!

anyway i guess he could be touring less but i dont see how there is no second album and no major touring in soo long?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFriend
I know that he is a busy man, but ive been a fan of an irish singer songwriter and i'm Irish, and ive never had a chance to see him live! I know he used be around earlier on but i was too young! and i know he is involved with Burma but still shouldnt he make time for his fans?? I mean i love his music but its not like he is a god and we cant say when he is being a bit of a langer, right? anyone with me!?

..... thought not....
yeah i kinda know how you feel, same circumstances, i live in cork and last time he played in cork i was too young and wasn't into him. but i don't exactly feel "betrayed" as such, just i think it's a bit unfair that he played so much in england and the us and dublin and not anywhere else..
Old 10-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
administrator
forum administrator

that's fair enough. they didn't play in cork on the last irish tour, i think because of the lack of a suitable venue at the time. i'm sure they'll include cork on the next tour. the last time they played in cork was christmas 2003 in the opera house, but they played lots and lots in the year or two before then. i'm sure they'll be back in cork and clonakilty sometime in the next few months with some new songs!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
concetta
italian eskimo :)

well, i think he worked so much in this year and maybe he needs also a break .. the band is a great team and they are still working! the fact that u hadnt ur chance till now, well.. maybe is not his fault. anyway, im sure u ll have one soon.
good luck!
concetta
Old 10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
jasonAVO
This message has been deleted by jasonAVO. Reason: because im being cyber stalked by someone and want to get rid of personal stuff
Old 10-21-2005, 04:12 AM   #10
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

I am, almost definitely, will never, ever met Damien in flesh. And the fact doesn't make me like him any lesser.
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #11
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

I think people are obsessed with meeting musicians in the flesh, and while i would like to see him perform live, i wouldnt mind never meeting him...he's not my friend....i'm not his friend, and thats fine! I'm just his employer, from the perspective that i buy his music, and would support his concerts....now ask yourself a question....are you friends with your employer?!.....thought not!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeh good one shaun....and jason, as ever you are right.....i'm lucky enough to have seen him 3 times, and i still hope to see him again, i wouldn't mind meeting him, say hello, tell him how much i love his music and how it completely changed my outlook on music and opened my eyes(ears) to a whole nother genre....do i expect him to be bothered by this? NO. do i think i have a right to this? NO

i'm sure he isn't expecting every one of the people who bought his album to go to a concert so why should we expect him to play somewhere that is accessible to every one of those people?!? if you wanted to see him that badly, you would make it possible for yourself!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonAVO
i am going to be blunt....being a fan doesnt give you any right whatsoever over someone. whats not fair? you werent old enough last time he was around. it may be frustrating not to see him play but that is on YOU not him. it is your impatience and your expectations of another persons life that leaves you feeling that way. you are young. you have time to change. stop expecting people to live their life for you. read fountainhead by ayn rand . itll give you an idea of what im talking about. if you do , damien is the epitome of the main character, howard roark. he lives for his work. and his work is done for no one else but himself. the moment damo or anyone else caters to fans rather than their own self is the moment they become phoney.
it would be nice to have damo play my back yard. expecting him too is another completely different matter and if i had the same expectations of him doing so as you do in regards to him playing in cork(because , well, you just want him too) i would feel the same betrayal. however i dont have those expectations. live for yourself and let others live for themselves.
rant over
jason

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine

In fairness, what are you on?

I'm not looking for him to live my life for me or for his life to revolve around me, and i agree totally that his love of what he does is what makes him so great. Its true that him 'betraying' his fan is too hard a word to use, but i dono when you have thousands of fans that really want to hear you maybe you should satisfy them?? And if you want to start throwing books at me i'd have picked The Alchemist by Paulo C. to show as damos view on life. And of course i'm just cribbing cause he hasnt been in cork recently, but its just annoying that the smaller names like mark geary of paul Tiernan or Interference are always around everyewhere, and the one who is making millions is nowhere to be seen. I think he is the best since Dylan, and maybe it is because of his style of going and working as he pleases is what makes him so great.... but i also kmow he was always around when he had no money. are you saying that because he has so much money that he suddenly grew this amazing attitude to life and work, or is it that he doesnt need to gig anymore?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Ah just calm down lad, Damo' s not here to satisfy our needs or whatever. And Emm is right, he' s done so many gigs last year that he just must be bloody tired of all that and needs a break. Be patient and I' m sure Damien will deffo go down to Cork to play somw tunes. U2 for instance ONLY do Dublin shows and noone' s whining about them not goin to Limerick or Thomastown. Damien is now a very successful artist all around the globe. And I' m very sure millions of people will never get a chance to see him play, so stop complaining and wait till he releases his new album and starts gigging again. He doesnt owe you anything. He doesnt owe anything to any of us.

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #15
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Ba Humbug!

its just a matter of opinion!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #16
gomezxico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonAVO
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
i hear that!

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #17
gomezxico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFriend
I think he is the best since Dylan, and maybe it is because of his style of going and working as he pleases is what makes him so great
i second that too

Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #18
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

funniest thread ive read in a while

find a new local band or musician to go see if your so impatient

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:35 PM   #19
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

agh... greatest thing since dylan?

right dont get me started on dylan

Old 10-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #20
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Oh Simon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
funniest thread ive read in a while

find a new local band or musician to go see if your so impatient

Old 10-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #21
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno- X
Oh Simon...
i heard theres a new Latvian Morris Dancing club just opened

Old 10-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #22
**jebus**
if carlsberg made eskimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett
i'm sure he'll do a full irish tour early in 2006 at the latest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett
i'm sure they'll be back in cork and clonakilty sometime in the next few months with some new songs!
Maybe im reading into it too much, but sounds like you have some insider info!!?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #23
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty
I am, almost definitely, will never, ever met Damien in flesh. And the fact doesn't make me like him any lesser.
don't be so sure. he has been known to travel in asia before - or maybe YOU'LL travel one day, so... who knows!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #24
thirsty
Eskimo Friend

best thing since dylan......no really, calm down

'o' was a great debut, though unfortunatly damien has'nt appeared very driven creatively since then, dylan by the time he was 30.......

oh, whatever
thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #25
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
i heard theres a new Latvian Morris Dancing club just opened
a what dancin club?

Old 10-24-2005, 03:46 PM
jasonAVO
This message has been deleted by jasonAVO. Reason: because im being cyber stalked by someone and want to get rid of personal stuff
Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #26
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

Jason, if I were you I would have definately gone. First of all: it's only money. You can always make more but you can never re-visit the day of you sister's wedding. Second of all: it was obviously important to your sister that you be there. She's not (in all fairness) asking you to live you life a certain way for her. She's asking you to be there on what she considers to be one of the most important days of her life. That's all...just be there. And surely it would have made you happy to make her happy, on some level?

And, as you say, whilst your family may be angry at you at the moment, they accepted your decision. They didn't try and force you (at least from what I can gather from your post). Does that not further demonstrate that they were not trying to stifle your happiness (btw I think you're being a tad melodramatic by saying your happiness hinged on whether you went or not) but that they genuinely want you there?

Just an observation man, obviously I don't have the full story...

"If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream,
and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there,
and if he found that flower in his hand when he awoke - Aye, what then?"

Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:57 AM   #27
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

I heard 'Delicate' playin on the radio while dining at Burger King and I almost choke on my onion rings! see, my local radio stations never really did justice to Damien's songs, and to listen to him being publicly aired really gave me a thrill. That was so far, the closest experience I had on being in a mass audience while Damien sang (although most people that made the audience couldn't care less about it). So, Cille, this must be a good sign that, perhaps ,someday I'll be seeing Damien LIVE
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #28
Andrew
Eskimo Regular

Quote by Jasonavo: "im saying that no one has to live any part whatsoever of their life to please anyone else other than themselves."

Well, you are absolutely correct Jason...however, thats not how modern society works. You have a job, correct? The majority of people who have jobs work for an employer. This employer gives you freedom, but they still demand a certain amount of work to be completed within a given amount of time. An employer gives an employee a task to complete. They say when, how, and how well that task has to be completed in order to keep that job. If that employee fails to meet the deadline and all of the requirements completed, then that employee is risking their job. If everyone were able to just do as they pleased, the world would not function correctly. True, if someone does not want to do something then well, they surely dont have to...if they make that choice, however, to do only as they please, they are going to have an extremely tough time ever being employeed by someone. And since money makes the world go round, no one, without that money, can just sit back and do nothing. Now, before, Damien didnt seem to have this money. He worked extremely hard and shocked a lot of people with the success he made...It seems like now that he has this success he is doing as he pleases...that is perfectly okay. It is to be expected. The only reason why so many people are angry with him is because Damien's OCCUPATION is being a musician. He makes the majoirty of his money from the fans. These angry fans feel as if they are his employer since they supply him with his funds. Its almost like stock. Major companies sell stock and anyone who buys stock, no matter how much or how little, has some ownership of that company. Since all of us are inverstors in the great Damien Rice Corporation, we should all be able to say what we feel Damien should do. Since I have heard in countless interviews that Damien said the second album would be out by now, he needs to stick to his part of the "deal." Now, he has the freedom to do as he pleases, but we as fans, the ones who contribute to his success and financial status, are asking and expecting that he finishes his part of the deal when he said he would. If he neglects to do this, more and more fans will ultimately lose their faith and respect. Now, if Damien were one of my employees he would have been fired long ago. Now, no one owns Damien and can tell him what and what not to do, but anyone who has purchased an album can and should be allowed to say whatever they want about his postponment of doing anything. If Damien loves music so dearly, and since it is his "job", he should fulfill his unwritten duty and produce some more music. Just my thoughts.

Hope everything is going well with you Jason...I havent been around the igloo in awhile
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:27 PM   #29
Niko
Eskimo Regular

But we're not Damien's employers. From what I can see, people seem to feel that they own a piece of Damien just because they buy his music and go to his concerts. This doesn't make us his employers, however - it simply makes us consumers of his product.

If there was a shortage of your favourite brand of chocolate for a while, would you refuse to buy it again when it finally came back on the shelves? What if the delay was because the company producing the chocolate were taking a bit longer to perfect their recipe? I think maybe this is a more realistic comparison than saying that anyone should "fire" Damien for taking his time over the album.

Sure, you'd be within your rights to protest - it's a free society, after all. It just seems a bit counter-productive to me. Would people kicking up a fuss really make it easier for the goods to be produced?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #30
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Andrew,

We don't own shares in Damien... if we did we'd be paid from his profits... we are not.

We are not Damien's employers... we are not currently paying him for anything...

We paid him for his first album... which was delivered and fulfilled any contract you might have. That contract is over, you have no claim on him beyond that.

He is his own boss and can do exactly as he pleases.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote