Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Ok I'll start,thisis not about what Damo wrote the songs about, its whatwe Eskimo Friends think they are about and what our story is behind our thinking that.

I see Cheers Darlin' as a girl that has cheated/gotten over Damo. "Here's 2 u&ur lover man" Oh I can just feel the hate!!

Olders Chests- every thing seems fine and just doesnt. "We all seem to need the help of some1 else to mend that shelf with too many books read me your favourite line" For me its we cant cope with big problems on our own. We always tell people and ask their advice. We need their support."Older chests reveal themselves
Like a crack in a wall
Starting small, and grow in time"
if we dont get some help it will just get worseAll we need is some time........

Now my friends its your turn.......Edited by: Miss Pink
Old 03-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
jendolyn
Eskimo Regular

Woman like a man...

Feels like the anthem for the good girl on who everyone seems to miss the point. I'll elaborate soon enough I promise. I have a mild suspicion I might be missing the point of the song but , hey, that's what it feels to me.
jendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
tj
Phono Vox

I'll post mine up as soon as I get the chance!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

I think "The professor" is imho about being a man and having problems with that, because the society always creates an image of " THE ideal man"...what a man has to (be) look like...though, cool, male typically...you know, stupid sh*t, like that.

Dunno if you understand what I'm talkin about but I can't express it better...
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

No i get you

Come on other people make this thread work!!!

Write and tell us wat u think!!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
marina
Eskimo Regular

anyone read Ian's thread on the storey of 'O'......i think it summed it all up for me
Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
tj
Phono Vox

Maybe so, what about the other non-album tracks?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I always think when Damien tells his stories about certain songs he doesn't always tell the real meaning .. I mean his explanations seem really uninvolved and vague.. But The words and the way he delivers them lead you to believe that they go alot deeper.. I have heard him say in interviews that this same person keeps coming back in his life and screwing up his head....I should add that it doesn't bother me at all that he keeps his real meanings to himself.. Who wants to openly discuss their personal life with the world
I will post some of my theories when I have some more time.. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
marina
Eskimo Regular

thats true Julia, like for example at the Vicar St gig last Dec, he said cheers darlin' was about a girl he met one night in a bar...just one night! i doubt it, i think it has a much deeper meaning to it
Old 03-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i think the "f**k you" song is about someone he really likes and he is trying to tell them that...

actually hold on....[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
jendolyn
Eskimo Regular

While my emotional response to "woman like a man" is quite simple, even base, it's difficult to explain how the threads jerk and enterwine to bring it as deep as it goes and *wham* hit home there.

There's a lot of nonsense going around that becauseit has beenaccepted with dopeish complacency has managed to somehow rise above and become truth. Only it's not(this is really difficult). Let's see. We are a cell of Nature. We have the seed of origin. The need to merge and annihilate. To destroy and create. Our alterity or ourself. To be consumed. To be bad.All this is deemed as "bad" when it is just two principles intrinsic of one another. Birth and death. (THIS IS DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN).Envying our alterity (man-woman, man-woman) wanting to posess it or destroy it for our impossibility to, take from it what we need. I don't know.

I don't think these impulses or principles clashwith being a decent person. We inglobe the principle and the principle inglobes us. Want to call itGod, humanity, Nature..suit your fancy. This song hit this particular chord in me. The envy for alterity, the desire to posess that freedom. What you want doesn't necessarily commence pursuit. But you can still want it. Badly.
jendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #12
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina
anyone read Ian's thread on the storey of 'O'......i think it summed it all up for me
Thanks. But my theory only holds up if you take the album as a whole, you can get a totally different spin on the songs individually.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #13
Si_B
Eskimo Baby

i dont think that you can say that any song can mean one particular thing. Different words will provoke different reactions/emotions in different people. Those reactions may agree totally with how Damo wrote the song or they might contradict it. In some ways it would be better if he didn't let us know exactly what the songs mean, part of the reason that his songs are so good are the mystery surrounding their meaning and the opening for interpretation.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:30 PM   #14
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

this is turning into a thread that no1wants to write in. it was my very first one and iv failed. if you dont mind im going to cry

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:02 AM   #15
The Weatherman
Eskimo Regular

NO! don't do that! don't be daunted! it's just that alot of this stuff has been discussed before. i for one have to give you a [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] for starting this. it's a good idea. i'd say people will reply in time, give them a chance! have patience and stay cool! [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #16
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

oh thank you i...sniff...feel...sniff....a bit better now...sniff Ive stopped crying!! But I need a hug

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:10 AM   #17
The Weatherman
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #18
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

oh thank you!!! I feel so much better, i looked to mt escikm friends when I was down, and you made me feel good again!! You are now one of my friend. Im a newbie so I aint got that many

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 01:12 AM   #19
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

"mt escikm friends"... ill take that as your eskimo friends [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]I am your friend too!!! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]... im ashamed to say that i havent written in this thread, only because i havent formulated any interesting meanings! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 04:23 AM   #20
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

You're cool Weatherman! A real sweetheart, and as another newbie, gotta say I like your style! Very eskimo-friendly!

Pink-- I've heard Damien say in interviews that the overriding theme of "O" is obsession. I get the feeling all of the songs center around his experiences (and very up-and-down emotions) with the same person. Yeah,this person that keeps coming into his life andwrecking his head. She's in anotherrelationship (I've got your wedding bells in my ears) but keeps stringing him along out of wicked selfishness or boredomor an unwillingness to let him go even though it's clear she never intends to truly be with him. But he adores her and can't take his mind off of her. (Literally!) Maybe he did meet her in a bar one night, but the pain in his lyrics sounds like it has gone on for years and that in many ways she still wrecks his head, and always will. Some loves you never get over, whether you find somebody new or not.

Sis [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

PS- in keeping with your theme of "our" interpetation of Damien's music, this all comes from my own stuff of having one of those head-wreckers myself. All of Damien's songs hit me right in the heart and soul because of that. Edited by: SisterMidnight
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #21
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

<DIV>

Hey sis

I totally agree with you, it does give you the impression that its the one girl which I think makes us all connect to the music, Im goin through a head wreckin (broke up and we still in love) relationship and i kinda find comfort in these songs."you know when you've found it, thats something I've learned cause you feel it when they take it away..." I was in love once and the loss of that is horrible.

Older chests helps me alot cuz "We all seem to need the help of some one else to mend that shelf with too many books, read me your favourite line" This really helped my through really hard times. Its nice that the songs mean so much to so many but yet they'll never mean the same to one person. Its amazing what music can do. I think my signature sums in up so read it. It finishes my point</DIV>Edited by: Miss Pink
Old 03-21-2004, 11:43 AM   #22
Si_B
Eskimo Baby

I agree Miss Pink, the great thing about music is it is open to interpretation.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:49 AM   #23
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Thanks I do my best. Music is powerfull raw emotion and truth you can never really liethrough song. Its all cumn from your soul!!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #24
The Weatherman
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

You're cool Weatherman! A real sweetheart, and as another newbie, gotta say I like your style! Very eskimo-friendly!

why thank you very much![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #25
Unabashed
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendolyn

Woman like a man...

Feels like the anthem for the good girl on who everyone seems to miss the point. I'll elaborate soon enough I promise. I have a mild suspicion I might be missing the point of the song but , hey, that's what it feels to me.

Nah Ir eckon its just about how women portray themselves to be 'oh so deep and caring' but really about as caring as a bottle of Anthrax.

Binge drinkers, liars, truth distortioners. At leats us blokes don't lie and put up a visard.

The songs about gettin' f**ked over and realising that love doesn't exist in the animal world of a woman, who just wants to get f**ked inside out by some big f**king skinhead with a massive nob.AndOnly really ever falls in love with his wallet anyhow.

Unabashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:44 PM   #26
Louise
Eskimo Regular

miss pink dont worry I reckon its just that peoples interpretations may be private or else they may be shy about being "wrong". Even though its impossible to be wrong in an interpretation. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 06:46 PM   #27
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabashed

Nah Ir eckon its just about how women portray themselves to be 'oh so deep and caring' but really about as caring as a bottle of Anthrax.

Binge drinkers, liars, truth distortioners. At leats us blokes don't lie and put up a visard.

The songs about gettin' f**ked over and realising that love doesn't exist in the animal world of a woman, who just wants to get f**ked inside out by some big f**king skinhead with a massive nob.AndOnly really ever falls in love with his wallet anyhow.

[/quote]

I totally disagree!!! I really think that what you said is total and uttr rubbish but you are allowed your opinions.

But I dont really think women are like that but f*ck man you must have got screwed over pretty bad to have such a strong opinion like that
Old 03-21-2004, 06:49 PM   #28
Unabashed
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabashed

I totally disagree!!! I really think that what you said is total and uttr rubbish but you are allowed your opinions.

But I dont really think women are like that but f*ck man you must have got screwed over pretty bad to have such a strong opinion like that

[/quote]

chill out, its true, that is what the songs about, a natural base line reation to the point where you realise, that love or whatever is disney. Not life. Alot of damiens work has to do with sex.

Woman Like A Man is all about cock envy. Most women want that control, lust, and its all to do with cock envy.

Woman LIKE a man. Can't be anymore self explanatory really can it sweetheart? Alot of women strive to act like men. And in actualy fact, succeed.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #29
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

I see your point, dosnt mean i agree with it,but dont be so patronising and dont call me sweetheart. Im not a mean person but Im not gonna argue with you I voiced my opinion and I started this thread to hear others thanx for contributing tho.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #30
Unabashed
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink

I see your point, dosnt mean i agree with it,but dont be so patronising and dont call me sweetheart. Im not a mean person but Im not gonna argue with you I voiced my opinion and I started this thread to hear others thanx for contributing tho.

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

mass of contradictions