The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Lisa Hannigan > Lisa Hannigan

Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
saskia
Eskimo Regular

Default Lisa on Funeral Suit

http://bit.ly/2erooLA

Quote:
Lisa Hannigan's song "Funeral Suit," from her latest album, At Swim, displays her knack for showcasing beauty in the ordinary. The Irish singer-songwriter says the song is autobiographical, and it's all about drawing out the complexity and significance of a moment in time.

"The characters in this song — well, one of them is me, and the other is my partner," Hannigan says. "And it was very early on in our relationship, and at that sort of moment when you're not really sure how you're going to sort of come together and make sense of the slightly messy romantic roads leading to that point. I remember being in London, and he came to meet me in this little flat and he had just come from a funeral ... so it's really just about that very small moment, that slightly pivotal moment of not knowing where things might go."

In the song, a back-and-forth about where to spend the evening together takes on profound emotional weight.

"It's this very small, beautiful moment for me that was slightly at a crossroads in my life," Hannigan says. "That song sort of marks that crossroads where you do sort of make a choice, and for me, it is a pure love song."
I think this is a beautiful little glimpse into what the song is about and so I thought I'd share.

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.

T.S. Eliot
saskia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
SillyAnonymousPianist
between the waves

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskia View Post
http://bit.ly/2erooLA

I think this is a beautiful little glimpse into what the song is about and so I thought I'd share.
Oh yes I remember reading that interview !
I too thought it was really beautiful.
I already liked the song a lot, one of my favourite on the album, and since that interview : even more !!!

(It's part of my wake-up/alarm playlist in the morning, along with Snow, Tender, Ora, Undertow, etc... Puts me in a good mood for the day ha ha !)