Shuigh mé ar an talamh

ins an seo...mra...liath

(tá se simplí ar scor ar bith)
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #62
Rai
Eskimontologist

Tá sé an-simplí, ach ní déarfaidh mé an freagra mar tá beagan Gaelige agam. (Bhí an teideal sa an triú líne)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #63
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Tá sé an-simplí, ach ní déarfaidh mé an freagra mar tá beagan Gaelige agam. (Bhí an teideal sa an triú líne)
Oh no, not Elfish again..
Old 02-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #64
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Oh no, I just know italian, english and a bit of french, but there are no similarities with hungarian. I just compare what Rai writes with some damo lyrics

But I like languages a lot, they fascinate me. I also love riddles and sometimes I try to write some (in italian, of course).

By the way, the latest song should be Cross-eyed bear... (but ehmmm... I haven't even ever listened to it... just looked at the lyrics... )

Anyway, if I am right, "change" must be something with "változ" in... is that right?

Don't lose the dreams inside your head
dmbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #65
Rai
Eskimontologist

languages are fun, I can't get enough of them... i know Hungarian, English, some French, Catalan and Irish, a little Swahili and will start Spanish soon

Both are correct. The song was the Cross-Eyed Bear and 'változni' means 'to change'

The next one:

Hát, így esett, ont ahogy mondtad
Az élet könnyen megy nekem
legtöbbször
Hát, így esett, arövidebb történet
nincs szerelem, nincs dicsőség
nincs hős az ő egén

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #66
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Uhm... if it is the one I am guessing, that's easy... come on, don't leave everything to me!

How do you happen to know Swahili? I've got a cousin who lived in Kenya and can talk it, but I don't know a word of it

Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #67
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbit
How do you happen to know Swahili? I've got a cousin who lived in Kenya and can talk it, but I don't know a word of it
At my university there is a kind old, quite Durrel- and Santa Claus-esque professor who teaches it and why waste such an opportunity

Old 02-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #68
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

welcome, rai!

im living about 45 km away from the boarder to denmark.
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #69
Rai
Eskimontologist

Hello, Tinkabell74... Northern Germany, hmmm. It must be pretty nice, I've never been there, though. The only German city I've been to(not counting the time when I was very small, because I don't remember much) is Munich.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #70
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Hello, Tinkabell74... Northern Germany, hmmm. It must be pretty nice, I've never been there, though. The only German city I've been to(not counting the time when I was very small, because I don't remember much) is Munich.

hello rai,

yes, its okay here. :-) the good thing is, that we are surrounded by the seas. :-) munich is about 1.000 km from where i live.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #71
Rai
Eskimontologist

Yep, I'm well acquainted with the distances... I suppose, you don't understand a word of what those weird people speak in the South

Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #72
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Yep, I'm well acquainted with the distances... I suppose, you don't understand a word of what those weird people speak in the South

when they are talking in their "language"/slang i dont understand anything.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #73
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
At my university there is a kind old, quite Durrel- and Santa Claus-esque professor who teaches it and why waste such an opportunity
great! Another language I would like very much to learn is portuguese

Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #74
Rai
Eskimontologist

Portuguese is a funny thing... It is the most beautiful language when sung (just listen to some Madredeus, and you'll know what I'm talking about) but it s and almost slavic when spoken

Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #75
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

You are right... actually, the fact that I love portuguese (and brazilian) music is the main reason for I want to learn it

Old 02-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #76
Rai
Eskimontologist

Yes, they now how to sing... Have you ever heard Madredeus? I saw them live recently and was blown away. I've also contemplated for a while on learning Portuguese, but it seems that I'll start Spanish instead. Gabriel García Márquez is a serious argument for learning Castellá I'd love to learn to play some Portuguese songs on my mandolin, though.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #77
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Have you ever heard Madredeus? I saw them live recently and was blown away.
Sure, I love them! But unfortunately, I never got to see them live.
I am a fado lover too!

Do you play mandolin? I sometimes accompany an old mandolinist of my village and I would like to learn that too

I guess there are too many things I'd like to learn

BTW, since no one else is trying, I bet your last translation was The blower's daughter

Last edited by dmbit; 02-14-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #78
Rai
Eskimontologist

It is Blower's Daughter... I'll translate another one shortly, but not now.

I wouldn't say that I play mandolin, I have one and I'm trying to make a continuous sequence of sounds with it... I only know some old Irish tunes, like 'Fainne Geal an Lae' and 'Ar Eirinn Ní Neosfhainn Cé Hí', but not much more... I'd love to get someone who could actually teach me to play it the Portuguese way, but there aren't too many such people in Hungary. To tell the truth, I'm a bit of an instrument-addict, I often get a strong urge to get one, and then there's no going back... I now have a guitar, a mandolin, a tin whistle, an irish flute and a chinese bamboo flute, and I have set my eyes upon the uillean pipes and the viola da gamba and the accordeon, but fortunately the first two are pretty hard to get and are really expensive, but the last...

Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #79
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

ahahahah it's just the same for me! I play mostly guitar but I am always attracted by other instruments... during time I tried playing clarinet, bass, drums, flugelhorn, tuba and harmonica, but I'd love to play much more. One I'd really love is the hurdy-gurdy, but it is a very hard one to get and, above all, to find a teacher for But I met once a Czech musician who plays it so fine and then I fell in love with it

Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #80
Rai
Eskimontologist

Hurdy-Gurdy? We have it here in Hungary, but I did not get into any contact with it (yet). I'm altogether more into woodwinds, and probably the least appealing are the drums, but since I started listening Kíla, the tide is turning...

Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #81
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
probably the least appealing are the drums, but since I started listening Kíla, the tide is turning...
You know, I also love latin and african music, that has such articulated rhythms... studying them is very charming and instructive, though I am a very bad drummer. Or better, I am no drummer at all

Old 02-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #82
Rai
Eskimontologist

Latin music is great... Its funny, though, that most latin music is Caribbean or South/Middle-American while I think the Iberian stuff is not worse, if not better. In my view, for example a fandango beats any salsa under all circumstances...

Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #83
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Unfortunately I'm not much expert about Iberian music, I just studied a little flamenco once, which was quite complex. Amazing indeed!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #84
Rai
Eskimontologist

Finally, I had time to make the next transcript, so merry guessing!

Ez nem történt volna meg, ha elkapom a gépem.
Ott lettem volna, mikor azt mondták, patkány vagyok a magtárban
Ebben a nagy félrértésben most engem értenek félre
Azt hiszem, valaki ki akar velem baszni és alám akar gyújtani.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #85
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Uhmmm... the rat within the grain?

Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #86
Rai
Eskimontologist

Yes, it is, congratulations for prevailing again in this highly competitive game

Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #87
dmbit
Eskimo Regular

Wow... thanks, but it almost seems I am the only one left to play!

Anyway, I think the last one was harder than the others, it made me think much!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #88
Rai
Eskimontologist

I think I'm running out of songs which I know and which are not blatantly easy, like Me my Yoke and I. What a shame.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #89
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbit
Wow... thanks, but it almost seems I am the only one left to play!

Anyway, I think the last one was harder than the others, it made me think much!
ha ha... well, i don´t understand a word!... and i guess i have a lazy brain for this kind of things... but i like this game (i said before)...

rai, i saw you´d like to read garcia lorca and (ups, don´t remember)... well, go for it! i would like to recommend you eduardo mallea (argentinian writer). i don´t know if you know or even heard something of him, but it pretty (amazing in my opinion) good!...

anyway... my mind is tired!... and i have a lot to read in here, he

verenita

Last edited by verenita; 02-23-2007 at 06:26 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #90
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita

rai, i saw you´d like to read garcia lorca and (ups, don´t remember)... well, go for it! i would like to recommend you eduardo mallea (argentinian writer). i don´t know if you know or even heard something of him, but it pretty (amazing in my opinion) good!...
I could try (the other was Márquez, I read both writers' works in Hungarian (an some M. in English) but its not the same)... Still, reading without a proper control of the language it can be hard. Maybe after the planned assitant teacher scholarship to Spain Until then, I'll take a look at this Mallea guy, if there is a Hungarian translation available.

The next one, it is eeeesy...

ne vesd magad
így elém
Megcsókoltam a szádat, a hátad
Másra nincs szükségem
Ne vonszold a szerelmemet
A vulkánban elolvadok
Ami én vagyok neked
Az nem létezik
És ami én vagyok neked
Arra nincs szükséged
És az, ami én vagyok neked
nem az, ami te vagy nekem
Te hegységeket adsz nekem
De nekem a tenger kell

Last edited by Rai; 02-23-2007 at 06:38 PM.