Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Louise
Eskimo Regular

ANTI WAR GIG THIS SATURDAY FORCED TO VICAR ST AFTER BCI BANS RADIO ADS.

IAWM CLAIMS CAMPAIGN OF DELIBERATE SABOTAGE AND CENSORSHIP

The Irish Anti-War Movement have been forced to move the anti-war gig with Christy Moore and Damien Rice due to take place this Saturday from the Point to Vicar St. The move follows the decision of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland to ban radio advertisements for the gig last week.

The gig headlined by Moore and Rice also features, Mary Black, Kila, The Revs, Katell Keineg, and comedian Barry Murphy. Mundy, who was due to hold his own gig in Vicar St on Saturday has given up the venue to the IAWM for the gig and will join the line-up himself.

The new venue for the gig is now sold out. Tickets already bought for the Point gig will now be valid at Vicar St.

In a statement, Richard Boyd Barrett, chairperson of the Irish Anti-War Movement said:

“ This ban on our ads is censorship and political sabotage – there is no other word for it. For months there has been a systematic campaign by the government to try and undermine the anti-war movement and the protests planned around the visit of George Bush.”

“Bertie Ahern publicly warned against people joining the anti-Bush protests. This was a disgraceful move in a supposedly democratic society. It is now clear his words were not idle but a statement of intent. Following his comments Dublin City Council adopted a new policy of pulling down posters advertising anti-war events. This decision came from the county mangers, who are answerable to the government. The Gardai are also harassing activists distributing leaflets and putting up posters.”

“Now the BCI, which is also a government appointed body has banned ads advertising our gig - seriously damaging our campaign to promote the event and sell tickets."

"You cannot fill a venue the size of the Point without radio advertising. The BCI know that and we made it clear to them in our correspondence last week that the ban amounted to deliberate sabotage of our concert.”

"The attack on our events does not end there. At the weekend the Independent newspapers controlled Sunday Tribune ran a disgraceful story suggesting the anti-war movement was profiteering from anti-war activity. This deliberate slur was particularly scurrilous considering the anti-war movement is almost permanently in debt and has no paid staff."

"Then, of course, we have had the deliberately hyped and over the top security operation surrounding the Bush visit to Dromoland Castle including leaks about US secret service agents with live ammunition ready for use.”

"All of this combined amounts to sustained attack on the anti-war movement and an attempt to undermine our events and protests"

There are serious issues about freedom of expression at stake here. Between the poster ban and the ban on our ads we are being put in a position where we simply cannot advertise anti-war events. We can’t put up posters for the gig or protests on street poles and we can’t pay for commercial advertising. This is an outrageous attack on the right to free speech. The bans are legally and constitutionally questionable but the government know we won’t have time to take this through the courts before the Bush visit.

“The public should be very worried about the lengths this government is willing to go silence opposition. They are trampling on basic civil liberties and democratic rights.

"We wish to apologise to those who bought tickets and hope the move does not cause too much inconvenience. We also wish to apologise to fans and activists who would have gone to the gig but may now not get tickets. Unfortunately, we have no choice at this stage but to move the gig. However, the gig will go ahead. It will be a great gig and will still be an important rallying point for the anti-war movement in the run-up to the protests against Bush on June 25th and 26th. There is also a possibility of a second gig which we will announce shortly if it can be organised at short notice.

"The important thing is this campaign of censorship and intimidation will not stop us from expressing our opposition to Bush and his war agenda. The protest in Dublin on June 25th and Dromland on June 26th are now more than protests against war - They are also are also about defending democracy and free speech."

NB. Christy Moore will speak on the Marian Finucane show on Radio One tomorrow morning on the ban and the effect on the gig.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
Louise
Eskimo Regular

there you are now. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] Im sad because I didnt get a ticket...please god let my feminine media style wiles get me a ticket.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

All I have to say about this is: [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
sezmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Thats so stupid.Wow they werent selling that many tickets so if everyone who bought tickets will fit into vicar st,i mean compared to the point [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

mundy was added??? ahh thats just utter cheekyness now

absolute arseholes for doing that
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Arseholes for adding Mundy or for banning the radio ads...

Hey, what about anyone who had tickets for Mundy?? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #7
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Only fair they should get to go too....
Old 06-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

but thats 10 euro in the difference so i doubt they would be that kind... i was even thinking of going to that mundy gig
Old 06-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

it says on the mainpage theres a 2nd date added
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 PM   #10
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I kind of smell a rat.

I'd want to hear the wording of the ads that they wanted to run before decding who to believe.

Also, the tribune isn't owned by independent newspapers as far as I know, the Sindo is though and thats been very anti-anti-war since before the war started.

MORE IMPORTATNLY...

What exactly is this gig in aid for? The anti-war movement? What do they need the money for? Bush is only going to be here for a couple of days.

The Simon community could do with a benifit gig, it would do more good then this, I don't see people lining up to help them. Maybe bums aren't a trendy enough cause.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
ali*
eskimo drama queen

there's going to be an extra date for sunday nite louise, tickets on sale on friday
Old 06-16-2004, 09:43 PM   #12
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
What exactly is this gig in aid for? The anti-war movement? What do they need the money for?

good question
Old 06-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #13
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

as regards banning posters being put up on lamp-posts etc.. - the only only time you can put up posters on lamp-posts without a license is during an election campaign. did the IAWM get a license?

i'vea lot of problems with bush and his policies but there's no way i'd want anything to do with the IAWM.

The statement from the IAWM above is typically sensationalist. have you looked at their website? I'm not saying their claims aren't true, just that they should back them up with some references.

Since they're so worried about not being able to advertise the gig perhaps they should update their website as it still advertises the gig as being in The Point.Edited by: Banjaxed
Old 06-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #14
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

I listened to Marian Finucane this morning (i hate that show - but i listened to see what was goign to be said about the BCI banning the When Bush Comes to Shove gig ad).

Marian Finucane played the ad on her show. To me there was nothing wrong with it, it simply said the name of the gig, who was playing where and when it was on.

According to the CEO of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (cant remember his name - Michael something I think). Newstalk were concerned about whether or not they'd be allowed to play the ad. They contacted the BCI and asked them to check it out and let them know what they thought. The BCI said the ad may be in breach of legislation which says that you cannot advertise for an event which is geared for a political end. On this basis Newstalk decided not to run the ad.

With respect to the posters: as i said before, you cannot putup posters on lamp-posts etc... without (i think) being a registered political party and leading up to an election.

These a both pieces of legislation that have been in place longer than the IAWM has existed. Whether you agree with the IAWM or not, they really should've been aware of how they'd be able to advertise the gig.

The gig has been billed as an "anti-war" gig, not anti-bush or anti-american, yet it's called "When Bush comes to Shove". Perhaps if it seemed to be more focused on Peace rather than Bush it wouldn't have been highlighted by the BCI as political. I really just think the IAWM should've been a bit cleverer.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:31 PM   #15
Louise
Eskimo Regular

yeah, you all know where my allegiances lie, didnt want to be specific about my knowledge but now that it is public I will post my stance. It had a lot to do with the fact that the anti war movement had registered as a political party so that they could poster, that was the primary basis for NT's enquiry. Its bollocks really, but hopefully the hullabulloo will generate any advertising that they missed out on.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #16
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
yeah, you all know where my allegiances lie, didnt want to be specific about my knowledge but now that it is public I will post my stance. It had a lot to do with the fact that the anti war movement had registered as a political party so that they could poster, that was the primary basis for NT's enquiry. Its bollocks really, but hopefully the hullabulloo will generate any advertising that they missed out on.

I don't know anything about your allegiances.Didn't know the IAWM had registered either and if so, I don't understand why they weren't allowed to poster.

It could explain the political interpretation of the gig tho, and therefor the reason the radio ad was stopped.

Anyway, I didn't intend to offend anyone I just accidently got interested in this thread! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Edited by: Banjaxed
Old 06-17-2004, 02:34 PM   #17
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

Mundy's plaYIN 2!!!!!! HURRAY!!!!!!!
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Donsie B! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #18
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

I had tickets for the Mundy gig which is now cancelled [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 04:05 PM   #19
Louise
Eskimo Regular

when I mentioned my allegiances I was referring to where I work...newstalk.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #20
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
when I mentioned my allegiances I was referring to where I work...newstalk.

ahh... cogs slowly turning... things clicking into place... now i understand everything (well almost!).
Old 06-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #21
Louise
Eskimo Regular

glad things are a little more clear for you now.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #22
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Aoife~
I had tickets for the Mundy gig which is now cancelled [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

so u gets ur money back?!

5 in the morning,
7 still fighting,

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Old 06-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #23
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

yeah....but i wanted to see Mundy! [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #24
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

...poor pet....u could get tickets 4 d 2nd nite? i means sunday and c him wit damien and christy et all?
5 in the morning,
7 still fighting,

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Old 06-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #25
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Cant go on Sunday [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2004, 04:01 PM   #26
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

tis a hard life!
5 in the morning,
7 still fighting,

Nightrocker- The Chalets