Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #91
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

God, I'm sooo jealous. Hope you enjoy the gig!

So, it looks like Tomo won't be playing with the band throughout the summer since Blair is touring with them. Well, as long as we ALL get some Joel/Pedestrian as support, I don't mind. I just have the slight suspicion that this is just a special treat for the Dutch.

Anyway, can't wait for your reviews!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #92
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin@

So, it looks like Tomo won't be playing with the band throughout the summer since Blair is touring with them. Well, as long as we ALL get some Joel/Pedestrian as support, I don't mind. I just have the slight suspicion that this is just a special treat for the Dutch.

????
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #93
Martine
Eskimo Friend

If you ask me, this is no special duchty thread

Yesterrrrdayyyyyyyyy.......
I've had a great night, but sometimes I missed some magic. Magic which I have felt on other shows.
His voice wasn't that great, you could hear he has a very busy schedule.
The first songs he seems to do it, just sing. One song stopped, another began.
But there wás magic sometimes! Cannonball without mic, only he and his guitar in a full, noiseless (?) hall. Or sitting behind his piano and make a vulnerable ending of Accidental Babies, 'My baby shot my down, bang bang' during (I guess) Coconut Skins. Talking about his willy or sitting in a puddle. When that guy speaks, I'm all ear, I love that. It's just nice.

He also did (I guess) two songs which I didn't recognize.
Vyv also did a song, don't know the name either. (opening act was just Joel and his band)

I missed some magic, some 'pureness' (don't know the word), some intensity, honesty, the things were I felt in love for. The love is still alive, but I don't wanna hear and see him live for a while.
I wanna say, Damien, take a bit of rest, come back to yourself, go do sometimes else for a while and then come back. Sometimes love is only strong when you can't feel it very often.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great night, but he's too big right now. The venue wasn't a venue for him. You could put candles on the podium (which he did), but they couldn't 'rescue' it, the lights took it over.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #94
Martine
Eskimo Friend

Maybe you can recognize the song.
The chorus was something like;

'cause we've never been in this place before
not as it is right now
we may never know what this night is for
so for now, we will just sit around
Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #95
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine
The love is still alive, but I don't wanna hear and see him live for a while.
I feel exactly the same. The first songs felt rushed and uninspired and his voice was just weak, the second half of the concert was a lot better though. Personal highlights were Accidental Babies (just love the extended outtro) and Cannonball.

The Frames on saturday were just great, although part of the crowd spent more time talking than listening. Nevertheless a great concert.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #96
museradio
Eskimo Baby

Default Great evening but also missed something.

That was a good review Martine, because I felt the same.
I saw hin in Brussels last march and that was much better.
Damien has tke a rest period soon again. I missed the real emotion sometimes. Like in "Cheers Darlin'". That song is wonderful live, but not this evening. No story and no band playing live. He was just doing his thing.
My conclusion is that it was a wonderful night and I wouldn't miss it, but it wasn't the Damien I saw a few months ago.
Ohh..and I mised the original drummer. He is much better.
museradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #97
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine
I missed some magic, some 'pureness' (don't know the word), some intensity, honesty, the things were I felt in love for. The love is still alive, but I don't wanna hear and see him live for a while.
I wanna say, Damien, take a bit of rest, come back to yourself, go do sometimes else for a while and then come back. Sometimes love is only strong when you can't feel it very often.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great night, but he's too big right now. The venue wasn't a venue for him. You could put candles on the podium (which he did), but they couldn't 'rescue' it, the lights took it over.
That's EXACTLY how I felt after I had seen him in March - am seeing him tonight but my expectations aren't as high as they were then so maybe I won't be as disoppointed
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #98
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffer
????
Check Pedestrian's myspace: "Joel and Blair will be on tour with Damien Rice throughout June and July"
And I doubt that Damien needs two drummers. So Tomo is apparently taking a well deserved break.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #99
Martine
Eskimo Friend

Let's hope the bussines doesn't kill another talent, another magic person.

I wonder when we hear him again after he ended his tour. Maybe he'll have another depression or just live life to the fullest.
Well, whatever, but I hope the magic will come back, anyhow. I wanna hear emotion, pure emotion, doens't matter if it's happy, sad, angry, as long it's honest.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #100
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

he played what is this night for? i'm jealous

but i agree with u that he needs to take a break..
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #101
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

He played What this night is for (or whatever the title is exactly) indeed... That was the only new song, but for me a nice surprise, because it was the first time I heard it live.

I think it must have been the venue with the chairs that made the this evening NOT to a magic evening... a friend of mine was sitting on the third row right in front of Damien and loved it... I was sitting 2 rows behind her, but at the side (in front of the speakers... painfull for my ears!) and for me it was not wonderfull, it was just nice. No magic indeed... we thought Damien was having a cold, he played Cheers Darlin' with a tape (not with the band) and not totally drunk and without the whole story. He didn't speak a lot and if he did the stories didn't really end... like with the puddle and especially with the willy. I think it was meant to be funny, but nobody laughed or reacted and my neighbour didn't even understand what his saying was about. And then he just played Me, My Yoke and I without really ending his story, or at least... that was how it felt for me.

I dind't even like Cannonball so much, playing it unplugged in the way-too-big HMH (normally 5600 people standing, now 3500 sitting). I missed looking into his blue blue eyes (like I could in Tilburg and Brussels), I missed the magic, now it felt more like Damien tried to win the us for him, but that he couldn't.

At the end, before the last two songs, everybody stood up and walked to the front (sadly enough my neighbours didn't want to go in the beginning so we ended up 2 rows in front of ours, but still it was way much better because of the atmosphere). And then Damien said: Now, this is a concert. Let's do the whole concert all over again (or something like that)... And then finally there was the magic, the magic of contact between him and the crowd, of people standing together as one group enjoying his show. Sadly enough Cheers Darlin' with tape.

I hope that he won't forget what he said about the concert in the end.. so that he'll never say yes anymore to playing in a seated HMH...

And Brussels was way way way much better. And even Tilburg, where he seemed sad and angry and didn't want to talk, was better. The strange thing... in Brussels I was sitting as well, but on the second row (comparing to HMH it was still before the first row in HMH), the atmosphere was better there...

Oh, but something positive... I loved Accidental babies as well... love that outtro too! And the I shot my baby-part (which song??) was really funny, Vyv was laughing about it as well...

And Vyv played a song from her EP I guess (I bought the EP last time, but don't know the songs word by word...) with parts of rap in between the pop music parts.
SnoopS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #102
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

I started to think it was me, not enjoying it to the fullest yesterdaynight. Being overly critical. But it is good to hear that we share the same experiences. Saterdaynight at the Frames (where the chatter didn't really bother me) at the first notes I thought: ,,Wow, Glens voice is brilliant tonight.'' I had the total opposite experience with Damien. His voice - because of a cold or the bizarre tourschedule- just lacked strength and he couldn't reach certain notes. Too bad for him and for us! Was not missing Lisa's voice, but Damien's last night.

I felt he was doing his very best, but when he said the audience was well behaved, I thought: the audience feels dead. Turns out you have different kinds of quiet. In 013 it was quiet because of the music, yesterday it was because of the situation. In between songs everybody was really enthusiastic, but even the clapping seemed to vanish in the big black box. I never want to sit again in the HMH. Was sitting next to Snoops, and my ears are hurting today. Boo! Esp. Joel was too loud!

Loved the song I never heard befor. That touched me. And the Bang Bang was brilliant too. Loved the musical parts -luckily the instrument didn't get a cold as well. But the setlist was a bit standard. And found it strange that the band was sitting in the dark so much. Being up front I never really noticed it the two times befor, but I found it strange that when everyone is doing their thing you only have the lights on Damien. Further: I think that the candles were candles working on batteries. And Cheers Darlin without band? That's just plain weird! So somehow there was some fakeness going on as well!

Vyv lost her voice a bit on a song that's not on the EP. Lovely song though!

The ending was just like a concert should be. Standing close to eachother, feeling connected to the crowd and the artists at stage. But it made me realize even more, what I had missed befor. Blowers daughter turned out to be my favourite of the night.

Looking forward to seeing him at Lowlands though. Its good to have a revanche! I just wonder wether he isn't selling out? Have never been to a concert befor this year, but thought that Damien was of the controlling kind. How can he then end up in the HMH with chairs? How can he ask 45 euro's for a seat that is close to the wall in such a big venue. My neck -sitting on row 4 - seat 17- already hurted, but sitting on number 1 must have been such a let down!

All in all it was an ok concert. Its still Damien. His songs are still beautiful... But I am so happy that I did see the Brussels show which was for me way better than last night...and way better than 013.

Last edited by 4duckie2hear; 06-25-2007 at 12:57 PM.
4duckie2hear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #103
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Mooie woorden, Duckie (nice words, duckie)

I thought the Vyvienne song was on the EP, you checked it?

On another message board we are already discussing if he was singing live during Cheers Darlin'... he didn't have a microphone in his hands... but I thought it was too difficult to playback the -not timed- Cheers ... darlin's...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #104
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopS
On another message board we are already discussing if he was singing live during Cheers Darlin'...
Yeah, it was live, there was a mic at the front of the stage, but it was placed very low. At some points you could hear the crowd laughing through the mic.

And it did feel a bit like he was selling out - we already paid 42 for a ticket and then the merchandise was way overpriced as well. I think 30 euro for a simple t-shirt is just way too much. It was already expensive back in Hamburg, but if I remember correctly at least 5 euro cheaper then in Amsterdam. I might be wrong there though. Still, it's too much.

And you're so right about the voices 4duckie, I was blown away by Glen from the start, whereas Damien's voice needed to warm up for... well, half a concert really. I did feel like his voice was getting better during the gig.

Btw, Snoops, I was on row 17 and people did react to the stories he told, there was quite some laughing. Maybe you didn't hear it cause you were close to the stage (and because the HMH is just too friggin big), I don't know.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #105
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

I think Damien himself didn't hear al lot of reaction to his stories. He seemed a little bit lost when he told us something.

On of the most brilliant moments for me was when left stage coughing after Cheers Darlin...no acting there! And yes, his voice did get better after a while. I really hope he didn't force himself too much yesterday...

I have a sore throat today as well :-)
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #106
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

As much as we like all of your color commentary can someone PLEASE post a set list???
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
4duckie2hear
This message has been deleted by 4duckie2hear.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #107
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Does anyone know the set list?

It started like this (I recorded it with my camera, but only for the music but it was way too loud so it sounds really bad):

9 Crimes (solo on piano)
Older Chests (with the band)
Volcano (long version)
-talk about sitting in the puddle-
Grey Room
The Professor & La Fille Danse
Rootless tree (on piano)
Dogs
The Rat Within The Grain

And then my recording stopped and my other one doesn't work yet so then it's just guessing:
I Remember
Accidental babies
What this night is for
Elephant

And I guess this was the end of the gig:
Coconut skins
Cannonball
The Blower's Daughter
Cheers Darlin'
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #108
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

+ Woman like a man / Me, My Joke + I

Elephant wasn't played

Last edited by Accidental Baby; 06-25-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Accidental Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #109
Devilock
Eskimo Droog

Quote:
And the I shot my baby-part (which song??) was really funny, Vyv was laughing about it as well...

Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #110
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Does anyone know the set list?

It started like this (I recorded it with my camera, but only for the music but it was way too loud so it sounds really bad):

9 Crimes (solo on piano)
Older Chests (with the band)
Volcano (long version)
-talk about sitting in the puddle-
Grey Room
The Professor & La Fille Danse
Rootless tree (on piano)
Dogs
The Rat Within The Grain

And then my recording stopped and my other one doesn't work yet so then it's just guessing:
I Remember
Accidental babies
What this night is for
Elephant

And I guess this was the end of the gig:
Coconut skins
Cannonball
The Blower's Daughter
Cheers Darlin'

Thanks
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #111
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

Was the Nancy Sinatra bit in I Remember?

And Accidental Baby do you know when those other songs came along? Woman Like a man was waaaaay in the back...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #112
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
+ Woman like a man / Me, My Joke + I

Elephant wasn't played
Oops! I forgot the loudest part... (the part where I wanted to stand and dance...). And I wasn't sure about Elephant when I posted it...

Last edited by SnoopS; 06-25-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #113
Sogree
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
On another message board we are already discussing if he was singing live during Cheers Darlin'... he didn't have a microphone in his hands... but I thought it was too difficult to playback the -not timed- Cheers ... darlin's...
I recorded that part.... I do not believe he was dubbing.... if he was he is dammmmm good at it
Sogree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #114
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Hmmm, a friend of mine on the 3rd row told me he had a microphone on his shirt... so I guess that's true

But can you put it online, Cheers Darlin'?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #115
Triskel2004
Eskimo Friend

Default Damo at HMH Amsterdam

Sorry I didnt meet up with any Eskimos after all my posts for nights out etc. I was sat up at the back in Row 5 18/19 (couldnt sell or even give my spare ticket away!) and whilst there was a fan already in my seat with worse tickets than me and who steadily moved forward in whatever spare seats there were, I really enjoyed the lighting which I havent seen with the full band set up before. I think they did an excellent job and Jonathan excelled on the sound as ever and pointed out it is all digital now so no miles of cables and clutter.
I also felt the first few numbers were a little rushed but likely a need to settle in to the gig. The banter between songs seemed a little distant.
Highlight for sheer power and emotion was I Remember.
Biggest highlight was seeing the opportunity as the encores were beginning,to sneak to very front under Damien. I can confirm he did sing "along" and embellish Cheers Darlin as he had a mic like you get as a studio guest,on his collar (my video shows him checking it wasnt covered over) but of course there was no band so he sang over the backing tape.
Was very well done and quite atmospheric from where I was ,trying to enjoy and hold my camera still. Tyupically half way through my card got full so I had to quickly delete an earler recording to get Cheers Darlin Part Deux!
I did enjoy it though being in front row at Tivoli for Frames was better as was for whole gig!
Pics for both (and Brian Wilson if you are a fan)
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/triskelpromo
Triskel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #116
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
But can you put it online, Cheers Darlin'?
There's already a recording online, check YouTube (for more recordings btw)

Don't have the direct link for you at the mom, sorry

I hope a recording of Accidental Babies will surface too - haven't found it yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #117
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

Triskel! Just read your post on The Frames-board....went to see the pictures and saw the ones of Damien as well :-) Good you enjoyed your time in the Netherlands! I thought the standing part of Damien's was the best as well!

Pretty sure after listening to hear EP dat Vyv played Never leave you!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #118
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
There's already a recording online, check YouTube (for more recordings btw)

Don't have the direct link for you at the mom, sorry

I hope a recording of Accidental Babies will surface too - haven't found it yet.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #119
SonicPulse
Eskimo Baby

The concert was AMAZING! Vyvienne didn't play in the opening act, there was some other rock band but she did do one of her own songs somewhere in the middle. She rapped, how's that for ya
It really was great, especially how he did I remember and cannonball and cheers darlin'
great night
SonicPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #120
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

In all the national newspapers no reviews of the HMH gig. Only De Telegraaf said something about the concert in their Sunday newspaper (but then it still had to begin )...