Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Default Expect Band Personel Changes Soon

I can't define "soon". But the band is unlikely to remain a quartet for long. No comment as to whether it will be a familiar name or a new person.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
I can't define "soon". But the band is unlikely to remain a quartet for long. No comment as to whether it will be a familiar name or a new person.
Where are you getting this info from?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

With all good news comes the bad - while last night's show was totally awesome and I think Damo, Shane, Tomo and Joel were incredibly tight I did get bad news at the end of the show.

I met up with one of the tapers who said he was tight with the guys on the board - he unequivocally stated that Vyv is out of the band and that they are just not talking about it.

Then - if you saw my post on gigs - we met up with damo at the front of the palace after the show - while he was with Shane and Joel, Tomo was absent - also toward the end of the show you got the sense that damo was interacting much more with Joel than tomo and shane - maybe that is coming up because of this chatter.
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
- also toward the end of the show you got the sense that damo was interacting much more with Joel than tomo and shane - maybe that is coming up because of this chatter.
i noticed that at all the England gigs as well, but just thought it was because they've been friends for ages and he was making sure Joel wasn't feeling left out of things. also, after playing within a certain band framework for so long, it must be more interesting for Damo to have another guitarist on stage every night, so he's bound to pay more attention to Joel than the others - after all, Shane and Tomo know exactly what to do by this point.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
rileyf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I met up with one of the tapers who said he was tight with the guys on the board
yay! does this mean there will be a recording surfacing eventually?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Timeé
Intello

so all of the talented people in the band are leaving? ugh
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Mort
Czech Eskimo

Ugh. <prays>This must me a rumour</prays>

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
rileyf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
so all of the talented people in the band are leaving? ugh
well, not quite ALL of them. i do support the idea, despite popular belief, that damien himself possesses actual talent. lisa and vyv were fantastic, as were (and still are) shane and tomo. however, youll soon see (if damien ever returns to ireland) that his shows are taking a new direction in which other musicians could add quite a positive impact. and i think we're safe to assume that damien has an eye for talent himself, so i'm going to respect his choices on who he may or may not replace his existing band with. and, of course, this rumour isnt even confirmed!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Timeé
Intello

but it'd seem he be moving more from the mellow sound to the whinier rock sound. That I dont like. I mean i can't imagine him getting a new celloist or female vocalist and i assume Cora (temporary member?) has left aswell?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
EskimoKaveri
Eskimo Baby

I was actually wondering whether he would try and get a new female vocalist. The songs definitely won't be the same without the cello. The beauty of his music is that he uses real strings I wouldn't want him to miss that. He's Damien Rice not Radiohead, though I do like Radiohead as well.
EskimoKaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoKaveri
I was actually wondering whether he would try and get a new female vocalist. The songs definitely won't be the same without the cello. The beauty of his music is that he uses real strings I wouldn't want him to miss that. He's Damien Rice not Radiohead, though I do like Radiohead as well.
It would be quite hard to get a new vocalist after Lisa. Replacing singers is hard enough, but replacing real talents is nigh impossible (Just think of the wreck called Queen+Paul Rodgers) and Lisa is a miracle.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyf
well, not quite ALL of them. i do support the idea, despite popular belief, that damien himself possesses actual talent. lisa and vyv were fantastic, as were (and still are) shane and tomo. however, youll soon see (if damien ever returns to ireland) that his shows are taking a new direction in which other musicians could add quite a positive impact. and i think we're safe to assume that damien has an eye for talent himself, so i'm going to respect his choices on who he may or may not replace his existing band with. and, of course, this rumour isnt even confirmed!
Well stated Rileyf!
bottlebohemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #13
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
but it'd seem he be moving more from the mellow sound to the whinier rock sound. That I dont like. I mean i can't imagine him getting a new celloist or female vocalist and i assume Cora (temporary member?) has left aswell?

as far as i can make out, Cora is just a mate (of Vyv's primarily) who plays with them when theyre in the UK. she is a classical artist first and foremost and the amount of practice she has to do everyday would hardly tie in well with touring full-time.

i for one would like to see more of Cora, here and Vyv together produce a very powerful sound that suits Damo's music perfectly.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
Timeé
Intello

i would like to see cora and vyv startin theyre own band. Vyvs materials great.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #15
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

mario youre not supposed to tell everyone im joining the band! it was a secret!

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #16
JBTongue
Eskimo Friend

I don't get why you would even bring it up if you're not going to divulge any actual information. It feels as though you're just flaunting that you know someone close to the band. Great. Cool. Neat. But you know how message boards get. Its going to turn into a whining rumor mill about how so and so can't leave or else bad things will happen and they'll never want to go to another show again. Why not just wait for the information to come out?

Also, why is everyone so closed minded? You never know what good could come of this. Vyv and Lisa could both have amazing solo careers and Damien could get a whole new band and go in another great direction.

Wait and see. . .
JBTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #17
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTongue
I don't get why you would even bring it up if you're not going to divulge any actual information. It feels as though you're just flaunting that you know someone close to the band. Great. Cool. Neat. But you know how message boards get. Its going to turn into a whining rumor mill about how so and so can't leave or else bad things will happen and they'll never want to go to another show again. Why not just wait for the information to come out?

Also, why is everyone so closed minded? You never know what good could come of this. Vyv and Lisa could both have amazing solo careers and Damien could get a whole new band and go in another great direction.

Wait and see. . .
1. I just reported what I heard and he stated that the guy on the board he had gotten to know stated that it is a definite done deal

2. Because i happened to run into a taper I had been texting and he told me this I am flaunting some relationship? That makes absolutely no sense to me

3. But if you want me to flaunt how about - again - Damo came straight out the front door of the Palace and my wife and I chatted with him for approx 10 minutes - now that was awesome!!!

4. i have stated over and over that the show last night was awesome so I don't see making any judgements about anything - again I was just reporting what I heard - and if you look at Mario's post he is suggesting even bigger changes are underway.

I recommend relaxing - to your wait and see point I definitely agree.....
Old 05-28-2007, 01:11 AM   #18
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
1. I just reported what I heard and he stated that the guy on the board he had gotten to know stated that it is a definite done deal

2. Because i happened to run into a taper I had been texting and he told me this I am flaunting some relationship? That makes absolutely no sense to me

3. But if you want me to flaunt how about - again - Damo came straight out the front door of the Palace and my wife and I chatted with him for approx 10 minutes - now that was awesome!!!

4. i have stated over and over that the show last night was awesome so I don't see making any judgements about anything - again I was just reporting what I heard - and if you look at Mario's post he is suggesting even bigger changes are underway.

I recommend relaxing - to your wait and see point I definitely agree.....
I thought he was referring to Mario's post - I may be wrong!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:23 AM   #19
Fool
Eskimo Fool

Quote:
Yeah. Good one. Very, very interesting.
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #20
stefferrelli
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
I think it's quite funny because I talked to Damien after the DC gig and he said that Vyv is coming back for the last few dates on this US tour.
stefferrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 AM   #21
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
I thought he was referring to Mario's post - I may be wrong!
You know Nine I had the same thought after i posted! Thanks!

Not that it changes my response any though.....
Old 05-28-2007, 03:28 AM   #22
JBTongue
Eskimo Friend

I was referring to Mario's post.

I think its great that you met Damien. I wish I would have met Damien at some point and saying what you two talked about is fine with me as well.

I just don't get why some people like to say, "I know something you don't know but I can't tell you yet."
JBTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #23
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefferrelli
I think it's quite funny because I talked to Damien after the DC gig and he said that Vyv is coming back for the last few dates on this US tour.
This post and my post are not exclusive of one another.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-28-2007 at 04:19 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #24
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

I have to say that Vyv's leaving is a real surprise for me. i felt that recently cello has become more prominent than before as a musical character in those songs, and she has put more into the songs too. i will miss the cello sound definitely. Good luck Vyv, Montreal has you in fond memory...oh may be she is just tired and needs a break from intensive touring.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
EskimoKaveri
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
It would be quite hard to get a new vocalist after Lisa. Replacing singers is hard enough, but replacing real talents is nigh impossible (Just think of the wreck called Queen+Paul Rodgers) and Lisa is a miracle.
That's totally true. I know it would be hard, still I was wondering whether he would try or not. I've heard he's absolutely amazing just alone with the acoustic guitar live but it's the albums I'm wondering about.
Lisa is a miracle no doubt about it.
EskimoKaveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #26
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

hearing vyv's solo material, makes me think "wtf are u thinking!" lol... i have no interrest in it my self, it's plain, dull, and just not my type... she doesn't exactly appear to have a strong voice either.... if she does go solo, i think she'll definetly struggle... but i hope it doesn't ever come to that :P
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #27
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Breaking news: I will be replacing Joel on all future dates.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
dramaking
King of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by audity
Breaking news: I will be replacing Joel on all future dates.
...and i'll replace damien.....
Old 05-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #29
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
As I posted in the Gigs forum for the DC show, I was told (1) that Joel was flying home on Sunday and wouldn't be back for the rest of this leg, but probably will be back in the summer. Not sure about September's tour and (2) Vyv went home drama-free and wouldn't be back for this leg of the tour (which is only a few dates anyway).

That said, even when these things come from the horse's mouth, I've been led astray by the horse in the past - the horse could be drunk or idealistic or even just lying because it's fun.

Last edited by GlttrGrrl; 05-28-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: do you know who I am?
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #30
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaking
...and i'll replace damien.....
i'll be the guitar.

You know, if there was to be no more cello, I would miss it SO much more than lisa's vocals. After seeing the hammersmith gig, I realised he doesn't NEED a second vocalist, whilst Lisa did sound glorious. However, without a cello part (I couldn't give a crap who played it) I think it the music would really lose somehting special.

Mind you, I said the same about Lisa's departing until I actually saw a live show without her. Who knows. We just have to accept whatever happens happens.