Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 12-29-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
FooLiRemember
Eskimo Baby

My band just finished recording a full length demo album, I play guitar and my friend plays piano and we have my cousin (female) who sings backup. Here are a couple of the tracks off the demo, i would really like to know what you guys think. Thanks
Just download from this page:
http://download.com/belleswake

Old 12-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
FooLiRemember
Eskimo Baby

Here are a few direct links to download those songs and some others, we are in the process of getting opinions and fixing whatneeds to be fixed and adding what needs to be added. Sowe really need all the feedback we can get, especially from people we don't know personally, and from people that like the same type of music as we do, thanks for the help

"Atlas"

http://fileserv6.soundclick.com/fast...lleswake+atlas. mp3

"Toil and Trouble"

http://fileserv1.soundclick.com/fast...leswake+toilan dtrouble.mp3

"Howl"

http://fileserv4.soundclick.com/fast...leswake+howl.m p3

"The Last Refrain"

http://fileserv7.soundclick.com/fast...leswake+thelas trefrain.mp3

"Petal"

http://fileserv7.soundclick.com/fast...lleswake+petal. mp3

All songs Copyright 2004 Belles Wake

Old 01-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
tj
Phono Vox

Hi... some really good stuff ya got there. Well done.

In Petal forever though, I maybe wrong, but I think you lack some snare in the first2 mins or so...then your vocal is drowned out by the snare from there onwards. The piano is a tad bit over powring too. However this could be how you wanted it to be??

I love some of the arrangements though and the female vocals are lovely.

The Last Refrain is a cool song... But again it lacks a good mix... but that's not your fault!

Keep it up!

Hope I've helped and not offended! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Edited by: tj
Old 01-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
tj
Phono Vox

Could I also ask what program/gear you used to record it?
Old 01-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
FooLiRemember
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj

Hi... some really good stuff ya got there. Well done.

In Petal forever though, I maybe wrong, but I think you lack some snare in the first2 mins or so...then your vocal is drowned out by the snare from there onwards. The piano is a tad bit over powring too. However this could be how you wanted it to be??

I love some of the arrangements though and the female vocals are lovely.

The Last Refrain is a cool song... But again it lacks a good mix... but that's not your fault!

Keep it up!

Hope I've helped and not offended! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Hey thanks for the feedback and help, you did not offend me at all, we need as much constructive criticism as we can get. I agree that the mixes are a little rough, we are now getting to the point where we can listen to the mix somewhat objectively, especially with the help of people like you, and begin to think about how to change it. We recorded most of this at home, on adobe audition, with a mackie mixer, and a 100 berhinger condensor mike. Some guitar work was done in the studio at school. The bass lines and other arrangements we added with a korg triton. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, and again, thanks for the feedback, I was beginning to think that we wouldn't get any on here, oh by the way did you get a chance to listen to any of the other songs. It would be great to hear your opinions on those if you've got a spare minute. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
reyvee61
Eskimo Regular

Hey Andrew, Scott.......

Very solid songwriting....not your run of the mill, listening to "The Last Refrian" right now....

Hereare my thoughts on the mix, do you have access to a vocal exciter? If you do, try to run the vocal track through it and try setting it at about 1 to 2 k and set the depth to about 40% this will give your vocals more clarity and aid them in cutting through the mix,

The overall mix is muffled and needs to be boosted in the high end, try EQing the individual tracks if possible, the piano and guitar tracks are lacking clarity, a compressor would also be helpful perhaps on the guitar as well as the vocals, if set properly this will help to tighten up the overall track.......

You have some good equipment, with a few gadgets you can really accomplish alot....are the tracks recorded on analog tape?

Anyway, the song itself is great, reminds me of Tull a bit...

Hope to be of help,

Rey
Old 01-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
tj
Phono Vox

I will check out the other songs when I get back from the pub tonight!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
dark_red_iris
Eskimo Friend

its good only listened to last refrain its good the singing goes out from time 2 time but good! but its a good structured song! well done lol tis kool! a little bassy to! i dont no why lol probs my comp!
dark_red_iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
dark_red_iris
Eskimo Friend

just listened to ur songs again u tend to fall out of key from time to time the voice isnt clear, but i like atlas - i get the vision of saliing on the sea well done on that its very atmospheric and good! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

hope u can get a CD 2 gether that would be good!

sorry if i offend u!

you have some good stuff

excilent wrk dude!
dark_red_iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
FooLiRemember
Eskimo Baby

Thanks you guys for your help, you didn't offend me at all. We need all the criticism we can get.