Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 04-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

Default a fifth ?

tryin to understand the circle of fifths, but i have not found easibly explained version yet, it just says stuff like a fifth note from C if G, how the hell does that work, what the hell is a fifth someone help
Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Colbarr
Eskimo Welcomer

The musical alphabet consists on A,B,C,D,E,F,G and then goes back to A. a Fifth from
C is is G because You count 5 from the letter including the letter i.e.A Fifth from C (C to G) = C,D,E,F,G. as does a fifth from E = E,F,G,A,B

Check these out, Moesley.

Chairman of the Welcoming Comittee.
Colbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

play 0 on whatever string. play the 7th fret. that is how many half steps (frets) there are to a fifth.

find that note on your next string. so like...open E and 2nd fret A string. those two notes are an interval of a perfect fifth apart.

oh...do you know your notes on your guitar...like..if i said G#. do you know where that is on your E string?
cello_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

i sorta got that bit, but it's when they say like a fifth from B is F#, yet i count 5 notes and it's F not F#, then a fifth from and adding the sharps and the flats like G has one # in it, how do we know which one is the #
Old 04-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

you don't count the note names you count half steps.

this is how the notes go (using sharps) ill do more than an octave so you don't have to think about when it wraps to the beginning

C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B,C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#

notice where there is no sharp between note names. the E and F have only one half step between them. the B and C also only have a half step between them. look at all the other notes like G to A. they have a G# that separates them. an interval of G to A is a major 2nd.

now ill spell out the notes using flats.

C,Db,D,Eb,E,F,Gb,G,Ab,A,Bb,B,C,C,Db,D,Eb,E,F,Gb

but again you do have to count the note names just so you get that right. know the name and then know if that note will be a # or a flat.

here's an example. what's the difference in sound of a B and an F# played together and a B and a Gb played together? nothing. BUT their interval name is totally different. B to F# is the perfect fifth and a B to a Gb is a minor 6th.

is that good?

Last edited by cello_pudding; 04-09-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
Krystian
Eskimo Regular

makes sense to me.. but that might have something to do with playing cello for a good 8 years or so.
here are some good visuals:
http://users2.ev1.net/~charliehb/Cha...f%20Fifths.GIF

http://www.zoo.co.uk/~z0001246/fifths.jpg

http://bbs.nobles.edu/~Doc_Chanonhou...f%20fifths.jpg

http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:20 PM
shane_b
This message has been deleted by shane_b.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

someone said count 5 notes so like from C (1), D(2) E(3) F(4) G(5) which works, untill you get up to the place where B - F# or Fb because that's not 5 it's 6, but a guy said you count 7 frets, which does actually work, although i thought it didn't but just worked out it does, so i've passed that hurdle, but the bit about counting half steps just lost me totally anyone willing to try explain on msn messenger for me, i really wanna learn this
Old 04-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

7 frets = 7 halfs steps

add these B - F#

B - c = 1 fret, 1 half step
C - C# = 2 frets, 2 half steps
C# - D= 3 frets, 3 half steps
D - D# = 4 frets, 4 half step
D# - E =5 frets, 5 half steps
E - F = 6 frets, 6 half steps
F - F#= 7 frets, 7 half steps
Old 04-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

ah your all genius's, i get that bit now, just gotta grasp the perfect fifth minor 6th bit, which i understand but don't fully get it would they all be perfect fifth's or minor 6th's
Old 04-10-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

do you read music?

a fifth above a note is 2 lines or spaces above the note. whether that note is 6 1/2 steps above (diminished 5th) 7 half steps (perfect fifth) or 8 (augmented 5th) is where the difference is.

but if the note your reading is 2 lines or space AND one line or space above its called a 6th of some sort

http://library.thinkquest.org/15413/.../intervals.htm
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

nope i don't read music i'm learning this stuff, but self taught so it's taking a while, but my gf should be teachin me more in the summer as she is a music student