Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

Default The 2010 What Got You Down thread

lost my job today.. last project i had to do was a bit too complicated for me, something i needed to work a lot on; and somehow philosophy, religion and motivational books seemed more compelling than keeping my job.. now have to figure out a way of earning money, 'cause the rent ain't gonna pay itself..
insanebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

oh oh. i´m sorry...
but, hey, you´ll have a lot of free time to spend with you gf

good luck, anyway.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

just found out that my grandmother's dying. the cancer was in both of her lungs and there's nothing they can do

she's 59

the universe sucks!
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

Emelie, sorry to hear that.. it sucks, indeed, but it's not the age that matters.. what matters is whether she's satisfied with her life so far or not.. some may die at 90 years old, but as long as they are not satisfied with their lives, there is not point in living until 90..

my advice ( from my experience with soon-to-die grandparents ) is to tell her how much you love her, speak to her about common memories you 2 have ( from childhood ... ), tell her what a good mother (not your job, but still) and grandmother she is and so on.. it really makes a difference.. even though it sounds really trivial and cheesy..
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Rai
Eskimontologist

It seems I waited too long for my useless "friends" replies and now it seem that there are no tickets available (at least they don't seem to sell them online) for the Viennese Swellies gig. Then I looked at the Madrid gig in panic that would be even better, but there are no cheap flights. I do hate living in this cultural-transportational black hole of a country.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanebaby View Post
lost my job today.. last project i had to do was a bit too complicated for me, something i needed to work a lot on; and somehow philosophy, religion and motivational books seemed more compelling than keeping my job.. now have to figure out a way of earning money, 'cause the rent ain't gonna pay itself..
OH.....................
Dont sad.....!!!
and Don't blame yourself. Maybe it's not your fault.
There is always next thing !!!!!!!!
Cheer up. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie View Post
just found out that my grandmother's dying. the cancer was in both of her lungs and there's nothing they can do

she's 59

the universe sucks!
It is sad to hear that
It may be a hard time. But Cheer up!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

emelie, i know it's sad. but use your chance to say good-bye. it's really important. i just remember it from my granddad, he had cancer as well and only suffered in the end so that i was happy when he was finally able to go...

rai, i didn't know you wanted to come as well. i got two of the last 7 tickets or so. i could've gotten one for you as well...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetzirah View Post
rai, i didn't know you wanted to come as well. i got two of the last 7 tickets or so. i could've gotten one for you as well...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
verenita
... trusty and true ...

so sorry emelie... i have no words, really. but i seconded what insanebaby (nice words ) and jo said.
big hugs!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #11
Rai
Eskimontologist

Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
cille
creepycute

^Did that make you sa, Rai? I'm sorry.

It reminds me a bit of the movie 'Moon'.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I am pretty enthusiastic about the Mars rovers, so the inevitable demise of one of them is pretty sad.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

^^^ OMG, i came here just to post that! it made me cry. i also thought of moon
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
Rai
Eskimontologist

^It's even more tragic with the rumours that Constellation will be axed and we won't go back to the Moon or even dream about heading to Mars anytime soon. Hell, we'll barely be able to go to space at all when the Shuttle is retired.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

recently i had this really burning desire to go to new york, just cos it seems like such an amazing place... but i can't see any way that i'm going to get to go there at all, and that makes me sad, but what almost makes me sadder is that my passion to visit there is dying and morphing into jealousy of my friends who are going to the states this summer... i had the chance but my friends didn't want to go and didn't get themselves organised or anything, so i'm going to edinburgh instead... but i'm not certain will i get a job because i want to be at home for august, because i'm going on erasmus next year and stuff...

and what makes me sadder now is the fact that i sound so stupid and petty and spoiled in the above statement, even though i'm not plus it's kinda crap at the moment, my parents' pay checks keep getting cut by ridiculous amounts, and i feel really guilty about wanting to go on erasmus next year, but then my brother and sister both got to go to america when they were in college, and it'd be a little unfair if i didn't get a year out when both of them did... but then i don't want them to have to be worried about money... meanwhile i can't realistically get a job because my parents want me to do as well as i can in college, and i can't really do that and have a job as well...

my mind is just a traffic jam at the moment, it's just nice to have a place to let it out...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
cille
creepycute

^hugs!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

hugs me too!!!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^^^^ oh, sweetie... i kinda know how it feels. hugs from here too (and they are really warm, cause the heat in here is very high )...

and don´t feel guilty for the things what you want as long they don´t hurt anybody. i know it´s not that easy (or it´s easier to say than to do, he). maybe you can make a list of priorities and then work your ass of to get them (that´s what i´m trying to do at the moment).

more hugs
Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
cille
creepycute

crappy crappy day at work, that will probably get a rerun on thursday. And the first day of my period. Coinsiding with a snow storm. Hallelujah!
Now: Warm soup and catching up on Lost season 3 episodes.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #21
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

im kind of hungry, but not hungry enough for dinner, but i know if i eat something now i wont be hungry for dinner for ages, which i dont want to do cause im looking forward to my dinner!

Apparently my problems aren't quite as deep as everyone else.

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

^ tragedy.. i actually think i dropped a tear.. ( because i was laughing so hard.. )
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #23
verenita
... trusty and true ...

we are so close to melt ourselves in here and verenita (i big exception to so many things) got a cold
i have a headache and my little nose is so red by now. not fair! plus: i still have work to do.

ps: hugs to you, cille.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
insanebaby
Eskimo Friend

verenita, how on earth have you succeeded to get a cold when it's about +20 - +30 in Argentina? i understand that i could get a cold a week ago when there were -20, -30 outside, but in your case it's really not understandable
Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #25
cille
creepycute

germs LOVE warm temperatures. summer flu's are the WORST!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

I loooooove, love, love coffee.

Coffee hates me.

Right now I'm having a pretty bad caffeine trip.

sad face
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanebaby View Post
verenita, how on earth have you succeeded to get a cold when it's about +20 - +30 in Argentina? i understand that i could get a cold a week ago when there were -20, -30 outside, but in your case it's really not understandable
i´m not kidding when i say i´m a big exception to a couple of things, most of them, usual things.

or... perhaps cille is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
germs LOVE warm temperatures. summer flu's are the WORST!
and the things are becoming even worse: it´s raining like hell today (but the heat is still here).

ps: i wish we had only +20. it wouldn't be that bad.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #28
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

only 3 hours of sleep last night . . . Liliana is no longer in the "easy baby" category.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #29
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

I need to figure out what to do with the rest of my life, and I need to do it NOW (i.e. by May), apparently.

Either I stay in law school for 3 years, as planned or spend only 1 more year in law school, and 2 years in business school to graduate with both a JD and MBA by 2013. Advantages and disadvantages to both are huge:

Option A: I'd get to stay in law school, get exposure to all that has to offer (law journal, legal aid clinic, etc.), but I'd be at a disadvantage for getting a job in corporate law/Bay St. (Toronto version of Wall St.)

Option B: I'd have 3 degrees (Hons B.A., M.B.A., J.D.) by age 27 and be pretty damn marketable for corporate law (incl. entertainment law)/govt. jobs (incl. public policy stuff), but I'd have to sacrifice a year of law school (and possibly going on an exchange program)

Sigh. There's just so much pressure to decide everything so soon! I'm not even done my first year yet! (also have a job interview tomorrow that's got me stressed out)
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #30
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ good luck with the interview

as for the decition... well, try to picture yourself in 4 or 5 years. which is the place you would like to work at the most?

anyway, please don´t say "for the rest of my life"... let lifes surprises you