Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #91
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceren View Post
Hey, hey calm down! No one, No one here agrees with you here I'm so sure!!

Why are you here anyway? You don't have the right to upset people with your creepy way of thinking!
creepy?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #92
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead33 View Post
You guys need to get out more.

Get out and experience life people.

Pretty sad if art has become all about satiating fans and not about art made for the pure love of art.

Most ironic post ever made on this board.

Commercial Art, which is what Damien makes, is made to make MONEY. Period.

If he didn't want to make money, he wouldn't sell records or charge for tickets. (Or continue to prohibit open taping, because he fears bootlegging cuts into his own profits.)

End of story, come back from the land of unicorns and rainbows and join the rest of us in reality.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #93
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post

If he didn't want to make money, he wouldn't sell records or charge for tickets. (Or continue to prohibit open taping, because he fears bootlegging cuts into his own profits.)

End of story, come back from the land of unicorns and rainbows and join the rest of us in reality.
are you having a laugh? yeah, go back to the world of waiting for artists to make art on demand for the public. Im sure youd get a great response not only from damien but any artist, walk up to fiona apple, and castigate and condemn, yell at her for waiting 6 or 7 years and not keeping us updated because it was HER responsiblity to keep us in the loop. I think her or any self respecting artist would haul out and hit you. You are being petty, and ungrateful. its gross.

Just remember, as you well know, all artists, all art, all musicians, are indebted to the audience, so they have to update the audience on every single meaningful thing in their lives. Anything that goes on in damiens life, he needs to update us. When artists take a long time between albums, like say Justin Timberlakes 6 year break between records, I think its wise to do exacty what mario says. How ungrateful of justin. What kind of artist doesnt tell us every single thing going on in their lives. And when he gets in the studio everytime, he needs to tell us exactly what happened. I think artists should consult the audience before every decision. If they have bagels for breakfast, damien needs to tell us. And if he is in writers block, he needs to tell us. If he doesnt want to make music anymore he needs to tell us. because thats what artists should be focused on. Forget self expression, forget the love of the craft, forget getting something off their chest, forget improving their craft. Its the audience appitite that needs to be fed. All artists should keep us updated in 4 minute intervals on the progress of albums.

You live in a fantasy world mario. See you when you come back down.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #94
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

So, making an acoustic album, highly poetic, singer songwriter vibe, with a cellist, all released on an indie label was made to make him rich? You need to study the facts before you post. Why did Damien leave his previous band? was it because they werent commercially successful or because of something else? Why did he choose to go indie as opposed to major label route, what was the major label trying to get him to do in terms of music? In 2002, what was the labels response to the music he was trying to make?

theres a difference between wanting to make money and wanting to make money. He needs to eat and pay rent. Beyond that, if you think hes out there buying mercedes and flat screens and buying expensive mansions you are high.

Damien lives the life he portrays. He's always been this way. He wasnt some greedy guy in 2001, then changed to become a millionaire by peddling a record like 0. you want to make millions, i dont think you make an album like 0. His label sure as hell didnt think it would sell millions thats why he told them to go to hell
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #95
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Damien lives the life he portrays. He's always been this way. He wasnt some greedy guy in 2001, then changed to become a millionaire by peddling a record like 0. you want to make millions, i dont think you make an album like 0. His label sure as hell didnt think it would sell millions thats why he told them to go to hell
He just spent HALF A MILLION DOLLARS on a ****ing guitar.

He's a commercial artist who makes songs to get paid and goes on tour to get paid. THAT is his motivation.

You need a psychologist to help you with the delusions you apply to the crappy "artists" you hero-worship.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #96
cille
creepycute

Jeez kebab.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #97
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
He just spent HALF A MILLION DOLLARS on a ****ing guitar.

He's a commercial artist who makes songs to get paid and goes on tour to get paid. THAT is his motivation.

You need a psychologist to help you with the delusions you apply to the crappy "artists" you hero-worship.

what were his stated reasons for leaving his last band, and then moving to italy to be a farmer? what were his stated goals for leaving italy behind and making 0? why go indie as opposed to signing with arista or capitol? Seems to me if one wants to be fabulously wealthy the route would be to push to make commercial pop songs with hooks, and sign with a major label who has the means and the actual cash to make being rich a reality. I dont think the route to private jets, expensive wines, and mansions is to make an uncommercial album like 0, and lets face it, 0 is non commercial. These arent pop songs, nor are they radio friendly. They are quiet, shockingly raw, honest, and powerful in a way pop radio doesnt respond to.

Secondly, lets face it damien is a big deal, but he isnt THAT big a deal. He isnt a household name, and when he tours he isnt playing stadiums and arenas. He isnt raking in millions a year, nor would he be expected to. If being rich and wealthy was his goal, he went about it in an insane way, and has failed miserably. He could have left his other band and become a household name ala Rihanna or Beyonce, or whoever. There are ways to do that. There are ways to become famous like that. You dont do it by making an album like 0 nor do you do it on an indie label. you just dont. Certainly those things can come as a result, but what was the labels and damiens expectations for albums sold for 0? was it millions of units? hundreds of thousands? a thousand? I know this much it wasnt a million. I dont think damien or his label were under any illusion when 0 came out. It was going to sell a few thousand max. After 0 was released, or in the time since 9 came out he could have given us new singles every year, he could have been promoting himself all over the world in the "normal way" most big time musicians do. He could have done a million things to make it so he'd it the big time. Look at his actions and choices from day 1. having control of his own art and destiny, and writing from the heart, and about what he wanted to write about is pretty much his entire MO. And that hasnt changed.

I could maybe see if he started out making commercial music for the radio, set out to sign to a major, quit the previous band because he felt they were non commercial and werent going to make it, and then wrote music and created art in order to become famous, to become rich, and to achieve some sort of status.

This isnt hidden information. All it takes is due dilligence. His stated intentions and goals and ideas, are available in every interview he's ever done dating back a decade now. And the interviews back up my facts, because they are facts. He isnt in interviews talking about how he wants to be famous and rich and is greedy. He's from day 1, from the moment he leaves his previous band, he is saying exactly what ive said. That i want to make art thats important and meaningful to me, and that its about self expression. This is hardly unique. Every major artist in every medium of the last 200 years has stated pretty much the same idea. Its sort of entry level stuff.

All we have are his words and his actions. Making 0 and 9, and the way he has dealt with his fame, and with his art are self evident. Art is his job just like anyone else's job. he wants to make money sure, because he needs to eat and pay rent. But, throughout history, i dont think Van Gogh, or Picasso, or Dylan, or Springsteen, or Neil Young, or Daniel Day Lewis, or Deniro, or pacino, or Steinbeck, or kerouac, or hesse, none of these people did what they did to eat or pay rent. They did what they did out of self expression and love of the art form and craft. Deniro in taxi driver doesnt come about because of his need to eat or be famous or to become fabulously wealthy. it comes about because he identifies with the character, he respects scorsese, he loves the script, he wants to express something. Born to Run doesnt come about because Springsteen wants to be wealthy, it comes about because springsteen was a lost and confused, and angry 20 something who needed to get his feelings out. This is all documented. Van Gogh didnt paint Wheatfield with Crows because he wanted to be famous, and the guy wasnt, he died in inanymity, he painted it because he was obviously trying to express something deep and powerful.

additionally every single one of the artists i just listed creates art based on their own need to create art. Deniro or Depp dont make movies to please the audience, they make them to express something. Their choices role wise are proof. Dylan doesnt, and hasnt ever made music for the fans. In fact, he is one of those people who put out intentially bad music to lose fans because he wanted to make music for himself and didnt want to be saddled with responsibility. I dont think Picasso should have nor did he expect fame when he went from his previous artistic style to cubism. I mean who would. You dont create something like that in order to be considered possibly the greatest artist ever. You do it because you HAVE to, because its a calling.

The type of art that comes out of the artist wanting to become famous, wanting to own the mansion and 5 cars, wanting the private jet and the fame and money, that art usually isnt that great, nor is it art that is lasting and the type of stuff we will remember in 50 years.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #98
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

imagine the world of art, meaningful art, if artists were called to canvas, to the studio, to the writing desk, to the camera all out of the need to please and satiate fans. They ignored their own need for self expression, and their own desire to experiment and push the medium further. They ignored whether the songs, the paintings, the writing meant anything to them, and focused on pleasing the audience. Imagine an artist going into the studio and writing a song, not writing on what they care about or feel, but singing about something that means nothing to them, but its going to make the audience happy. Imagine, the artist, recording and putting out an album or songs that meant nothing to them, were commercial for commercials sake, and imagine them rushing the songs and albums out so as not to disappoint fans. Imagine an artist who spends all their time updating fans and telling us whats going on, instead of spending the time doing something productive. Thats not the world that exists, nor should it be the world that exists. And there are a million examples of this happening. Studios rushing movies out, musicians rushing albums out, and almost always, the audience dislikes the final product, and the artist does as well
Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #99
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
imagine the world of art
There's your problem. Stop imagining worlds and come back to reality.

He's compromised his "ideals" many times over in the name of money. He whored himself out in 2009 to talk about his relationship with Lisa. He released 9 without even knowing what tracks would be on the actual album: talk about not giving a **** about creative vision!

PS: Your Depp comparison is WONDERFUL. Dude made three huge steaming piles of crap in Pirates of the Carribean, to fund making other worse selling piles of crap like The Tourist and Rango. Johnny Depp hasn't even made a watchable film since 2004. Just whored himself out to Disney to make Pirates, and cashed the checks for Alice in Wonderland, Willy Wonka, and is in the middle of shooting yet another ****ty story retread in The Lone Ranger.

Also, your Springsteen comparison is idiotic. Born to Run is his third album, and the first two were huge critical successes. His "leap" was to make a more commercially successful album so he could get the $$$$.

Last edited by mario_d; 03-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #100
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

your argument about johnny depp is pretty much summing up of how false your argument is.

Depp has pretty much made his entire career out of choosing roles not based on money or on how the audience will respond, but rather what interests him. The insane variety of roles he taken is the proof in the pudding. in fact when he was in 21 jump street, he felt he was boxed in, a product. His entire career since then, every role and project has been about choosing roles for himself reguardless of what anyone else thinks. This is expressed in all interviews he's ever done. I'd recommend checking them out.

i think audience's and critics can smell when a piece of art is made for the reasons you are suggesting. I dont think its that hard to parse out what is what. The fact you suggest Depp is someone who only cares about money and fame and all that is insane. I dont know how you could look at the choices he has made and say "yep johnny depp only cares about movies where he will be famous, and where he will rake in the dough, and its all about money and fame". Johnny Depps talked about it, and as i said, he;s made it clear he didnt and never has cared about the money or fame. You dont see him in the tabloids and stumbling out of bars for a reason. he doesnt live that lifestyle.

Bruce Springsteen made Born to Run and Darkness during a time in his life when he felt like the characters in those songs. Read any interview about that time, or even now, he just put out outtakes from Darkness. he talked about that time period, why he made those songs. The urgency, power, and intensity of the songs are real, and theres a reason why these albums are considered classics. Albums dont usually get called classics, or are refered to 30 years later with warmth and nostalgia, if its a hollow, or vehicle for self promotion.

I think you have a fundamentally wrong view of art. Just because artists, some artists, make money off their work, or have become famous or wealthy, doesnt mean the money or fame or wealth was the reason behind them making the art. You dont write Thunder Road or make Fear and Loathing because you want to be famous. You do it for love of the art.

By your argument all art would be souless, meaningless, crap, because anyone who is paid for their work is making art based on the fact that they want to be famous and rich. Yes people like that do exist. But certainly the people weve discussed, Johnny Depp, Deniro, Pacino, Damien Rice, Fiona Apple etc... these arent people who got in it for the money and fame, nor do they create from that place.

I think you are confused, majorly.

You are suggesting that merely because damien has made money off his art, means that he creates art merely to make money. Thats so absurd that its laughable. Utterly ridiculous argument to make
Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #101
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

certainly anyone can have their own opinion, but when the actual artists have a history you can look at, and view, and see, and they have interviews and you can physically see them speak about all this stuff, to suggest stuff that is counter to what the artists have said, is pretty dumb.

All it takes is a google or youtube search, some time, to look for what depp, or damien, or anyone else has said on these subjects.

Additionally, to suggest damien only makes art for moneys sake, is ridiculous on its face because if that were true, hed have done a hell of a lot more in the 6 years since 9 came out. Thats what im saying, you need to look at the facts. Are damiens actions since day 1 the actions of someone who makes art to be rich and famous, or are they the actions of someone who needs to express things.

Im not really sure your view of things, but i think people who make art that the label tells them to make, or who rush out products, make art thats intentionally commercial, would fit your idea of all art being about money. Can you honestly, tell me, someone like Depp, or Damien make choices because they think they will be millionaires? I mean really? Honestly?

Both Damien and Depp have made choices that fit themselves. Dont you think his label was telling him to make another 0? 9 sounds a hell of alot different than 0. What do you think the studio execs say when Depp wants to make a movie like Alice in wonderland or Blow, or Fear and Loathing, or Rango? I dont think the studio is jumping up and down and happy!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #102
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

my two cents are..............

haha on the chick who told mario to feck off - having been there on many occasions myself lol!! and I totally agree with the response to let him be - I must say there is certainly plenty of high and mighty around here at times............

I think both are right to a certain extent - mario to the point of damo's odd ways of trying to come off as hippy cool yet at the same time hobnobbing in la with actresses - radiohead to the point that he owes us absolutely nothing
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #103
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
my two cents are..............

haha on the chick who told mario to feck off - having been there on many occasions myself lol!! and I totally agree with the response to let him be - I must say there is certainly plenty of high and mighty around here at times............

I think both are right to a certain extent - mario to the point of damo's odd ways of trying to come off as hippy cool yet at the same time hobnobbing in la with actresses - radiohead to the point that he owes us absolutely nothing
(to whoever said) -'Damien does this for the money' are crazy..remember back in the juniper days they were offered a 6 figure contract ...a lot of money to a 25 year old kid with a dream of being a rich celebrity...what does damien do? leave the band and move to Tuscany with a debit card and guitar .....with very little chance of being rich or succesfull ! nuff said
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #104
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

ultimately how damien is personally really shouldnt matter. he makes great art. and that should be what matters most. ive been open about my feelings that he acted like a jerk in terms of the firing of lisa. but that really has no bearing on anything really.

i think damien comes from a place thats true and honest. the songs have impacted people, and i dont think that happens when artists are there to be rich or make money. like i said, audiences can smell this. when an artist in any medium is speaking the truth, and honest and raw, audiences connect. they just do.

we all can list off artists that fit the "im only doing this to be on tv and sell my product so i can buy a rolls". we can name those people all day long. But why focus on them? Especially if the person we are talking about on this board doesnt fit that profile. the people who make music to be famous and get rich are talked about for brief time, then forgotten. the music that lasts, and damiens music has lasted, a decade now, is music that has made a lasting impact and has a legacy.

and throughout history, those artists that make music from the heart, and from a place of love, and rawness, because they have to make music or art not out of some need for money, but out of the need to express themselves, those individuals usually are people who dont care about the audience in the sense they make music for themselves. Damien doesnt make music for you Mario. When he started his music career you werent in his mind. Nor was any audience. He makes music for himself. to think anything else is insane.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #105
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4YOBOFVPG0

check out that video, mario, of sam beam, at around 7:48 to 8:33 or so, talking about why he started making music. listen to what the interviewer says after sam talks about his reasons
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #106
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Try responding to any of the facts I have laid out instead of your make believe fantasies.

Damien has repeatedly said he was releasing an album, then denies having said it.
Damien for no reason other than publicity did the interview in 2009 talking about his relationship with Lise.
Damien recorded a bunch of songs for 9, sent them off to record label people, and literally didn't even know which ones would be on the album until after it was released.

He owes us an explanation.

Oh, and Johnny Depp is a mediocre actor who hasn't been in a good film in a decade, so maybe he ought to have someone else picking roles for him.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #107
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
(to whoever said) -'Damien does this for the money' are crazy..remember back in the juniper days they were offered a 6 figure contract ...a lot of money to a 25 year old kid with a dream of being a rich celebrity...what does damien do? leave the band and move to Tuscany with a debit card and guitar .....with very little chance of being rich or succesfull ! nuff said
First off, Juniper did sign a six record contract with Polygram and released an album on that label (Weathermen).

Second, Damien left Juniper because there was (surprise!) a fair amount of interpersonal conflict. He demanded everyone call him "Dodima" while he was in Juniper. He fought with the label over what songs should be released.

So he went off to be a solo artist instead and released O within a couple years.

He never stopped selling his music. And he never had "very little chance of being rich."

Did you know BellX1 gives him songwriting credits (Volcano, Face, and Tongue) but Damien has never given any of them songwriting credit (which translates into royalties) ?

Damien's own words of the dynamic in Juniper: "[Damien] simply explained to them that if they left me alone, the music would be better, and that if they started interfering again, it would **** things up."

Last edited by mario_d; 03-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #108
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
First off, Juniper did sign a six record contract with Polygram and released an album on that label (Weathermen).

Second, Damien left Juniper because there was (surprise!) a fair amount of interpersonal conflict. He demanded everyone call him "Dodima" while he was in Juniper. He fought with the label over what songs should be released.

So he went off to be a solo artist instead and released O within a couple years.

He never stopped selling his music. And he never had "very little chance of being rich."

Did you know BellX1 gives him songwriting credits (Volcano, Face, and Tongue) but Damien has never given any of them songwriting credit (which translates into royalties) ?

Damien's own words of the dynamic in Juniper: "[Damien] simply explained to them that if they left me alone, the music would be better, and that if they started interfering again, it would **** things up."

this has zero to do with the issue. i said i agreed with the assessment that personally he's a jerk. but being a jerk and being a money and fame hungry star is another.

To do what he did is insane in terms of if he wanted to become rich. juniper was coming up and starting to break big and get attention. they certainly had the majors attention. for him to leave, take off to italy, become a farmer, and then release music that was the exact opposite of juniper with female vocalist and cellist, makes little sense. as i said, someone who wants to roll in money as a result of their art, making an album like 0 is certifiably insane. damien has been quite open in that 0 isnt the album people in charge and who writes his check wanted. the label just didnt want it. thats the main reason he left juniper. it wasnt personal or band conflict. it was conflict with the label trying to tell him how to make his art more commercial, thus sell more records. If fame and money were his only facinations, why not follow what the label was telling him? why not make a commercial sounding record? surely you dont view 0 as a commercial album? it certainly wasnt a commercial album in 2002.

It really takes zero effort to read some interviews with damien on youtube or on this website. he's quite clear in his intentions and what he wanted 0 and 9 to be like, why he split with juniper, why he disliked the record label, what he wanted to do etc... it takes zero effort to look that stuff up.

Its hilarious you maintain your argument even in the face of all that. hate to tell you mario, but im going to believe damien and what he says over what you say and believe. thats just the situation.

what you are saying makes no sense. He wanted to be rich and famous, so he left a successful and major label band attracting attention, to grow food in italy and be a farmer. then he decides to go back to music, but instead of rejoining the band, or talking to a major label, he decides to release an album of material that bears no resemblence to his work previous, and decides to release it independent. All the while im sure major labels were telling him to sign with them and we know as i said, he was being told by majors to make his songs more commercial. he clearly didnt take their advice nor listen to them.

Stick to the facts and what you know. you may be a fan of damien, but you clearly have no clue about the reasons why he nor anyone else creates art.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #109
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Try responding to any of the facts I have laid out instead of your make believe fantasies.

Damien has repeatedly said he was releasing an album, then denies having said it.
Damien for no reason other than publicity did the interview in 2009 talking about his relationship with Lise.
Damien recorded a bunch of songs for 9, sent them off to record label people, and literally didn't even know which ones would be on the album until after it was released.

He owes us an explanation.

Oh, and Johnny Depp is a mediocre actor who hasn't been in a good film in a decade, so maybe he ought to have someone else picking roles for him.
tool and fiona apple have done the same thing. she went 6 years before letting us know she was releasing a new album in a few months. tool we have no idea whats going on its been 6 years since their last one as well.

damiens behavior is normal. if it was out of the ordinary you might have a case. the fact i can name 15 artists right now who are behaving the same means he's neither unique nor is it expected of artists to update us on anything. There are hundreds of artists right now, who havent made a record in years and havent updated their fans about the goings on or not goings on in terms of the progress of a potential follow up album. Thats just art, and thats just life.

If you dont like it, you have several options. you can listen to 0 and 9. you can move on to other artists. you can stop listening to damien. or you can create your own art. thats it. you have no other options. no artist in history has been persuaded to release stuff by people on a message board, certainly no artist is going to release stuff "because mario demands it". thats childish and asinine.

the fact of the matter is damien's going to run his life the way he wants to. nothing i, or you say is going to alter that. to think otherwise is bordering on mentally ill thought patterns. He's either doing to release stuff or he's not going to release stuff. those are the only two options. neither revolve or are going to be decided by people on this message board.

did damien consult anyone here about releasing o or 9 or fingertips? Why would you expect him to alter this now?

it takes zero effort to look at his past behavior and interviews. anyone who has done the legwork to figure that out, surely can figure out damien doesnt conduct his art or release it or work on it or not work on it based on what anyone here, or labels, or friends, or whoever think about it.

Would you really want an artist, any artist putting out stuff they arent satisfied with themselves?

Damien started playing guitar and writing songs way before he was famous. mario, or i, or anyone else had no bearing in that. that was art created because he wanted to create it.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #110
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
tool and fiona apple have done the same thing. she went 6 years before letting us know she was releasing a new album in a few months. tool we have no idea whats going on its been 6 years since their last one as well.

Stop being a goddamn idiot. I've said like a dozen times that he can go away and not make music. It's the constant lies about new albums and publicity whoring that is wrong.

Quote:
damiens behavior is normal. if it was out of the ordinary you might have a case. the fact i can name 15 artists right now who are behaving the same means he's neither unique nor is it expected of artists to update us on anything. There are hundreds of artists right now, who havent made a record in years and havent updated their fans about the goings on or not goings on in terms of the progress of a potential follow up album. Thats just art, and thats just life.
And we're back to the "lots of people beat their wives, so its okay for Damien to beat his wife" argument.

Quote:
thats childish and asinine.
Check the mirror.

Seriously just shut up already. You're longwinded fact-less diatribes are obnoxious.

Or else address the issues:

1) the fact that he didn't give a flying **** about 9 and released it without knowing what tracks were on it so he could get paid.

2) His blatant attention whoring in 2009.

3) His refusal to give give writing credits to BellX1.

Oh right, that's his "artistic integrity" stealing from other musicians. He's a selfish, greedy, prick who has no respect for his fans.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #111
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Stop being a goddamn idiot. I've said like a dozen times that he can go away and not make music. It's the constant lies about new albums and publicity whoring that is wrong.

And we're back to the "lots of people beat their wives, so its okay for Damien to beat his wife" argument.

Check the mirror.

Seriously just shut up already. You're longwinded fact-less diatribes are obnoxious.

Or else address the issues:

1) the fact that he didn't give a flying **** about 9 and released it without knowing what tracks were on it so he could get paid.

2) His blatant attention whoring in 2009.

3) His refusal to give give writing credits to BellX1.

Oh right, that's his "artistic integrity" stealing from other musicians. He's a selfish, greedy, prick who has no respect for his fans.

not sure I want to join the arguement, but maybe Damien didnt give Credits to Bell X1 because HE wrote the songs??? we dont know who actually wrote the songs for fact unless u have a link to an interview that states so

attention whoring? I am unaware of that with Damien

He didnt know what songs were going to be on 9?? I remember an interview with Damien and Lisa and how they chose what songs .....he woould ask lisa, or other members and they all decided bla bla....I could be wrong but thats what I remember, i do remember him stating how frustrating it was and all that ****te...but not that he didnt know until after...I would like to see proof of that if im wrong
Old 03-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #112
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

haha my friend!!

absolutely on O..............and absolutely on 9

we all know what went down on each so give me a fricking break..........whatever happens is whatever

for now all we have is ford live at ++++ so gosh darn lol!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #113
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
haha my friend!!

absolutely on O..............and absolutely on 9

we all know what went down on each so give me a fricking break..........whatever happens is whatever

for now all we have is ford live at ++++ so gosh darn lol!!!

Um...huh?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #114
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I feel kinda bad for my post being the catylist for this......So how 'bout that Walking Dead finale. Bloodgasm!! And Lori is an awful human being. I have dated girls like that. I feel for Rick, bra.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #115
Rai
Eskimontologist

I think both participants are a wee bit off their marks. And the name-calling should be abandoned, it's not quite gentlemanly.

I don't think Damien is in it just for the money, if it was that, he'd be making J-Planes here and there. He's in it for his ego. He bailed on Juniper because they were getting too nosy and he, the great artiste, the genius, needed to be in charge. He kicked Lisa out because she was getting way too popular and wanted a bigger say in how things were going. I mean, the guy writes all his songs about his own penis, this should be rather obvious.

And at the moment, he might have ran out of steam. He lost a brilliant band due to his own stupidity and he'll never get it back. He's been popping up here and there playing decade-old songs that even he must be bored of by now. That's surely for the money, because I doubt anyone would have anything artistic to express with a song he's played tens of thousands of times before. But his writing has stalled. If it wasn't so, he would have played the songs by now. No sane artist keeps their works to themselves. Of couse, Damien is filthy rich so he isn't compelled to do anything, it's not that the won't be able to pay his bills for his sailing boat if he doesn't sell his produce. He has everything he needs: no nagging bandmates, no compulsion, new quite floozie in the background who knows her place, lots of money and a lot of adoring fans. He doesn't produce new material because he can perfectly sustain his ego with what he currently has.

Look at musicians who are truly active, look at Glen who's been doing all kinds of things without ever stopping, look at my pet favourite Low Anthem who just said that they'll never play their old songs again because during the summer they've wrote about forty new ones and are now playing with the Chieftains and Bruce Springsteen just for fun.

Of course, Damien Rice doesn't owe his fans anything. He does whatever he wants. If he wants to look like a hobo and play Blower's Daugter all his life then he has every right to do so. And we have every right to listen to other artists who actually make music.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #116
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Damien is filthy rich so he isn't compelled to do anything,.
^Damien is Filthy Rich??..I dont know about that...whats filthy rich...He never has to earn another dollar for the next 30 years???...No I dont think so....so when he comes out with another record and tour we could say Now he NEEDS the money...so now u can make an arguement that when he does come out with another record, it's for the money....he only sold about 3 Mil records..which is a lot cuz it wasnt a record co stealing all the profits, but were not talkin Lady Gaga here...but with that said, Damien NEVER imagined selling 2 Mil+ records with O...NEVER!!! one would have to think that he would have a better chance becoming Rich with Juniper than starting over as some no-name (outside of Tiny Ireland) and selling million records.....

so I'm not buying it that him leaving juniper (for whatever reason) mathamatically was a good financial decision to become a millionare..yet it worked...

he left juniper cuz he wanted to be the ONE....thats fair, if you write songs that our yours, you want it to be just you, you dont want to be in a band that you disagree with and the song selection and bla bla....their your songs - thats why their is solo artists (neil young, bob dylan) and bands (Floyd beatles)..and look what happened to the latter...they had ego's and eventually dismantled becaue both their 2 top songwriters wanted it 'their' way...i dont blame them...it's their own songs....if I were a song writer, i would want to be solo, not in a band where my songs are shared and decided in a group how to present them.....ok enough

Im pissed at damien cuz he isnt doinf anything, but im not gonna start picking stupid S--t about him for it
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #117
Rai
Eskimontologist

^He sold all those albums and as long as any of his songs is played or bought anywhere, he'll get money without having to do anything. If a guy can spend 500K on a guitar, he qualifies as filthy rich.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #118
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
not sure I want to join the arguement, but maybe Damien didnt give Credits to Bell X1 because HE wrote the songs??? we dont know who actually wrote the songs for fact unless u have a link to an interview that states so
BellX1 credits all four of them as songwriters. Damien credits only himself, but has not challenged them for only crediting him partially. If he'd written the songs himself, they'd have to pay him all the songwriting royalties.

Quote:
attention whoring? I am unaware of that with Damien
The Hotpress article he spent talking about his relationship with Lisa for no reason whatsoever other than get people talking about him again. "lisa won't return my phone calls but I'm so sorry about everything... New album? Who said anything about a new album?"

Quote:
He didnt know what songs were going to be on 9??
He recorded fully something like 12 songs and gave them to the record label. The label decided which 10 songs would be on the album and Damien didn't know until it was done.

Quote:
^Damien is Filthy Rich??..I dont know about that...whats filthy rich...He never has to earn another dollar for the next 30 years???...No I dont think so....
He just spent half a million dollars on a guitar. He's either an idiot or has
enough money he doesn't have to work for a long time.

Quote:
thats why their is solo artists (neil young
CSNY? Crazyhorse?

Quote:
I don't think Damien is in it just for the money, if it was that, he'd be making J-Planes here and there. He's in it for his ego.
Nailed it.

Quote:
Of course, Damien Rice doesn't owe his fans anything. He does whatever he wants. If he wants to look like a hobo and play Blower's Daugter all his life then he has every right to do so. And we have every right to listen to other artists who actually make music.
Agreed, until he started saying "I'm releasing a new album" and then never said anything more about it. He can do anything he wants, but when he starts making promises/telling lies, then he creates a moral obligation.

Last edited by mario_d; 03-20-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #119
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I don't think that he has any moral obligation. He made promises and he seemingly broke them again and again. The only thing this means that we should not trust his promises.

Or maybe he did start recording, but it tanked. It would take an unprecedented integrity to come out and say "Well, yes, we did the Barcelona roadtrip, had a great time but the songs were utter crap, really, worse than Nickleback. We were too busy smoking weed and having crazy monkey sex. Maybe next time it'll work out." I could understand his silence.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #120
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Um...huh?
haha drunk dialing!

We all know that o was from the heart and 9 was forced - that is all - and whatever happens happens in the future - agreed it shouldn't boil down to a pissing match and nice attempt to re-direct!

oh and was a tad excited last night as we just confirmed yesterday with have another David Ford Live session in our living room in may - sweet!

and as usual I pretty much agree with rai - ego check, rich check, ruined a great thing with the band check etc etc