Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #91
cille
creepycute

A lot of rubbish in this thread by now, wtf?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #92
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

if you google this Luke Slott, he's a pianist and apparently Damien has been the engineer of his album Don't Go Back To Sleep, which consists of solo piano pieces:

Produced by Luke Slott. Recorded by Damien Rice. Artwork by Anitra Haendel. license: All rights reserved; feed: Feeds for this album, this artist ...

you can read more about him in here (he seems to be connected to Vyv too):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Luke-S...9361147?v=info

Last edited by borneoman; 02-15-2010 at 12:53 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #93
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i went to school with luke slott.. even played a gig with him a few years back so thats really bizarre.
never connected the two together!

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #94
rain_just_rain
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
'I remember' sounds just as good..so does 'the professor'.....
9crimes...without Lisa...sounds MUCH BETTER...if u dont believe ..go on you tube and find some Live videos (maybe not all) when he screams NO NO.......without Lisa

he performs Volcano live just as well...Cold water maybe an exception
I'd say that "I Remember" doesn't really sound as good as without Lisa, for me. The "sweet" section of the song sounds so misplaced with Damien. The same for "The Professor", specially when she used to sing the second part in addition to the "La Fille Danse" outro. Both songs as well have my favourite live renditions with Lisa singing along.

But I do agree that 9 Crimes sounds terrific with Damo solo. Lisa's versions has its own magic, but maybe inspired by their relationship and falling out (as now it sounds, after HotPress interview), he just recreated it live, and it feels a lot more desperate and intense than ever before. Few times in my life I've felt goose bumps the way I did the first time I heard that "NO NO NO" coda.
rain_just_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #95
rain_just_rain
Eskimo Baby

By the way, I loved the new song But as someone wrote before, rather for its beautiful melody and lyrics than for its classic-Damo-same-damn-chords. I hope that when he records this on studio he gives it a different arrangement approuch.
rain_just_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #96
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
the girl's name is Julia Dubsky...
these are the full credits for the studio version of the song:

damien rice - vocals, guitars, bass, drums, percussion, wurlitzer
luke slott - piano
vyvienne long - cello, backing vocals
janet clarke - backing vocals
julia dubsky - backing vocals
Woooo Vyvienne! I'm glad someone from the original crew is still working with him.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #97
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
i went to school with luke slott.. even played a gig with him a few years back so thats really bizarre.
never connected the two together!
^what a coincidence. So is this Luke Slott well known in Ireland??? and did anyone buy his album??? I'm amazed Damien still finds time to engineeer other people's albums He also engineered Mia Maestro & Melanie Laurent albums, right???
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #98
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^what a coincidence. So is this Luke Slott well known in Ireland??? and did anyone buy his album??? I'm amazed Damien still finds time to engineeer other people's albums He also engineered Mia Maestro & Melanie Laurent albums, right???
Not very well known, however he used to be in a band called Melaton who got signed to Sony very early on in their career only for it to distinguish and they got dropped. They broke up and he went solo/played as a session musician (i think).
He moved over to New York for a long while to play some gigs there, didnt gig that much in Dublin apart from the odd appearance here and there..
He's a really fantastic musician, so im delighted to see he's done stuff with Damien..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #99
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_just_rain View Post
By the way, I loved the new song But as someone wrote before, rather for its beautiful melody and lyrics than for its classic-Damo-same-damn-chords. I hope that when he records this on studio he gives it a different arrangement approuch.
Agree...even if theirs a Blowers daughter part 3 and 4...Or all Capo on 5th fret songs.....I want that sound..i always thought lyrically he could grow...but was quite content with his sound...
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #100
buddy
Eskimo Regular

i like it. this is how damo songs should sound. can't wait to hear the studio version.

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #101
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

OMG new song and I didn't know. i love it and I agree with other comments that this sounds like a typical damo song. i mean that in a good way, like I Remember or Fool
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #102
Ligi
Adore Adore

The lyrics are incredible.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #103
spiraali
Eskimo Baby

Its funny why people don't like the songs chords.....If that song sounds good with normal chords, then why Damien should change those chords to make it sound differend? I just don't get the point? If he changed those chords, then melody might not sound good with them. Maybe I might sound stupid or something but I just don't get that point that you can't use same chords on different songs....

And back to topic, that song is great. Beautiful melody and lyrics. I like it a lot!
spiraali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #104
Mort
Czech Eskimo

It's great to hear something new from him. This song is really good, I especially love the lyrics. I hope we'll hear more new stuff from Damo soon!

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #105
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

She gives him this look at 2:23 when everyone claps that's just hilarious! Otherwise, she was a decent singer.

And I loved the song! The lyrics were great
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #106
krishna830
Eskimo Baby

Such a beautiful song, I can't stop listening to it. To anyone that saw the movie, do you know the Thom Yorke song that was contributed to the movie?
krishna830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #107
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

does anyone know when we'll be able to buy the song???
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #108
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

When.......................?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #109
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

the director has mentioned a few times that they're working on getting the soundtrack released, but it's not THAT easy so might take a while... but I'm sure we're gonna get it in the end...
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #110
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

the film has been reviewed in Variety, which might facilitate the theatrical release and possibly the soundtrack??

When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun
(Documentary)
By LESLIE FELPERIN

A Free Motion Films production. (International sales: Free Motion Films, Denver.) Produced by Dirk Simon, Vanessa Philippe. Executive producers, Dennis Riordan, Cle Riordan. Co-producer, John Caulkins. Directed by Dirk Simon. Screenplay, Simon, Kristen Simon.

With: The Dalai Lama, Kungpo-Dawa Tsetan, Yangchen Dolkar, Lhasang Tsering, Samdhong Rinpoche, Tenzin Nyendak, Tenzin Dorjee, Lobsang Sangay, Youdon Aukatsang, Youdon Aukatsang, Desmond Tutu, Richard Gere, Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Wangchuk.

Like the vast bulk of contempo docus about Tibet, polished polemical essay "When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun" is unabashedly pro-Tibet and opposed to the Chinese occupation of the country. What makes "Dragon" a refreshing break from biz per usual is its pluralist approach. Pic explores the wide spectrum of political opinion among Tibetans in exile, from supporters of armed insurrection to exponents of nonviolent diplomacy, such as the current Dalai Lama. Fancy lensing style and soundtrack contributions from Philip Glass and Radiohead's Thom Yorke, among others, should help pic find sanctuary at fests and on upscale cablers.
Rather than run through another history lesson recounting how the country was invaded in 1950 (although auds unfamiliar with the story will pick up the main points as the pic goes along), the screenplay by helmer Dirk Simon and co-writer Kristen Simon focuses on the present and recent past, particularly on the pro-Tibetan protests that sprung up worldwide in the lead-up to the Beijing Olympics. A good chunk of footage covers the demonstrations in San Francisco in 2008, at which the likes of Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Richard Gere rally the masses, while pro-Chinese protestors (who get a fair amount of airtime) argue with the Tibetan supporters.

Interviewees here rep an impressively diverse range of positions. At one end of the spectrum, there's the Dalai Lama himself, defending his "Middle Way" call for Tibetan autonomy within the People's Republic rather than full independence; Samdhong Rinpoche, prime minister of the Tibetan government in exile; and the teenage heir to the Tibetan throne, Lhagyari Trichen Namgyal Wangchuk, who seems touchingly bewildered by his role in history. Students for a Free Tibet representative Tenzin Dorjee and activist Lhasang Tsering won't accept anything less than full independence. Numerous other interviewees take up stances somewhere between.

All are allowed to talk at impressive length while a mix of archival footage and stylized original material unspools, often showing time-lapse and helicopter-filmed shots of the country's astonishing landscape. Editing by Dave Krahling smoothly collages material together and flows neatly with score contributions from Glass (who seems to have basically rejigged his score from Martin Scorcese's "Kundun") and others; still, there's a little too much music, nice though it is. More breathing space and less tightly crammed detail would have made this "Dragon" more attractive to the theatrical market.

Camera (color), Robert Muratore, Jeff Pointer; editor, Dave Krahling; supervising editor, Chad Herschberger; music, Philip Glass, Damien Rice, Thom Yorke; set decorators, Sidharth Mathawan, Meghna Singh; sound, Rajendra Hegde, Amnol Bhave, Andrew Ahlstom; supervising sound editor/re-recording mixer, Phillip Lloyd Hegel. Reviewed on DVD, Shady Cove, U.K., April 13, 2010. (In Thessaloniki Documentary, Santa Barbara film festivals.) Running time: 112 MIN.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #111
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

When The Dragon Swallowed The Sun will have it's UK premiere in London on July 29th, Damien Rice will perform live our title song.

27th July, 8pm-1am: Tibet Film Festival Party
Roxy Bar and Screen 128-132 Borough High St, London SE1 1LB
(nearest tube: London Bridge)

29th July, 7pm: When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun
- preceded by short performance by Damien Rice
- followed by director Q & A
Institute of Contemporary Arts
The Mall, London SW1Y 5AH
(nearest tube: Piccadilly Circus/Charing Cross)

30th July, 8.45pm: When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun
- followed by director Q & A
+ closing night drinks in Ritzy Bar after the screening
Ritzy Picturehouse, Brixton
Coldharbour Lane, London SW2 1JG
(nearest tube: Brixton)
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #112
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^cool! i hope some of you can catch it
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #113
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I emailed them about tix, and they answered 5 min ago:

Hi Marti,

Thanks for your enquiry. Tickets are now on sale from the ICA box office
or directly from this link -
http://www.ica.org.uk/24934/Film/Whe...d-the-Sun.html.

Best wishes,

- Tibet Film Festival -
Old 06-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #114
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

Are you going, Marti??
quiquemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #115
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Nope, sadly I'll wait for the Italian premiere
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #116
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

jajaj
quiquemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #117
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so is anybody going to this??????? It's tomorrow, right?

someone go and film it all and ask when this is out
Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #118
glo32
Eskimo Regular

"What If I'm Wrong" yesterday in London

glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #119
Joyful
Eskimama

^ Very nice, indeed. Thanks.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #120
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks, glo
image seems quite shocking, doesn´t it? i mean, damien on his knees (i love that body position) looks like if he doesn´t have legs... which makes me think (i have a HUGE capacity of assosiation) of victims of war (any kind of it) and its consequences...

that takes me to a place where damien is thinking about the song (a required song, by the way) and how powerful and painful that process might have been. i had to write a letter found in an imaginary dead soldier´s pocket, who was about to die (we tried for our scout teens to take awarness about the damages of the war and, specifically, antipersonnel mines). there were just a few lines, but trying to imagine myself in that place... wow, it was a hell of a process.

alright, verena... i think you spoke many sensless words already... say goodbye to people...
(sickness can be the best hallucinatory "pill" )

Last edited by verenita; 07-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damien rice, what if i'm wrong