Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #31
rice puddin
the old eskimo hunter

Spending Christmas in Dublin is now on my bucket list!Til then i'll live vicariously thru u Vere.Thanks for the stories.Next time u hang with Damo kinda remind him we're all waiting 4 some new music!I've always thought Vyv is hott....
rice puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #32
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice puddin View Post
Next time u hang with Damo kinda remind him we're all waiting 4 some new music!
if i couldn´t even look at him, how would i be able "to hang with damien"?
and i think that´s why i didn´t say a single word. because i would have probably said all the things that he doesn´t want to listen

nice to *see* you again, by the way!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
CoffeeJunkie
Eskimo Baby

This year I almost didn't go (again), because I thought the same thing: when I come to Dublin, you'll see they won't play that year.. But I got myself a ticket (very last minute) and now I'm SO grateful for that Christmas night.. because I got SO damn lucky!!

An hour, maybe less before busking, I was just walking around Dublin with my camera and went into this lovely quiet shopping mall where I took some pictures of the cute Christmas shopping windows. After shooting some Christmas trees, I looked at the screen to check the pictures, and saw this guy at the background with a guitar on his back. You must know, I have a thing for the Damien types, so I slowly walked towards this guy's back, curious what he looked like and before I knew, he turned towards me and we looked each other STRAIGHT in de eye for the whole moment I passed him by, a moment that felt like hours! I immediatly realised I had just looked Damien Rice into his light blue eyes. My heart was beating so fast, it felt like I had just experienced an electric shock or something!

So I got myself trapped against the wall for a few minutes, wanted to approach him, wanted to take a picture, but I just couldn't. He was talking with his family and didn't want to bother him. So I left and went to Grafton, knowing for sure he would be playing
And it's true, he does look different on camera!

It was just amazing to finally see Damien sing in real life and not only on screen.. There are just no words...

Just when they stopped playing and needed to move again, and went to Stephen's Green, I got even more lucky. While everyone followed Glen and friends, I stayed with Damien because I knew this would be my only change ever to maybe even talk to him. There was this group of people around him, talking to him and for a moment he almost wanted to play Coconut Skins alone at Grafton, but couldn't remember the words and so people went to Glen who had just started singing again.
Nervous as hell, I took my change and talked to him, told him how much his music means to me, that I listen to him every single day for years (really, a day without his music, just isn't a day for me) and showed him my tattoo of the album O on my lower arm. It all was a bit awkward though, because he acted really shy, and I'm even more shy and suddenly couldn't speak English anymore at all... I lost it But he was very sweet and couldn't believe someone would get a tattoo of his music, what I, as a drawing artist, can totally understand. Even to me it's still weird there are people who have my drawings hanging on their wall.. Since I had a hard time finding words, I frooze and stopped, and just when he wanted to cross the street, he turned around, laughed out loud and said: It's funny....

So, since that night I feel like a 14 year old school girl again, who fell in love for the very first time. Even today I still can't eat and when I think about the shopping mall, I get a huge smile on my face.

Sorry for my very long story
Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #34
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeJunkie View Post
he turned towards me and we looked each other STRAIGHT in de eye for the whole moment I passed him by, a moment that felt like hours! I immediatly realised I had just looked Damien Rice into his light blue eyes. My heart was beating so fast, it felt like I had just experienced an electric shock or something!
hehe... i sort of experience the same! when he arrived, of course i was looking for him with my eyes and i bumped into his bright eyes (which were just having a look to the scene, hehe). it felt so intense, but i know it was only for me. but still... so, i know the feeling

Quote:
I stayed with Damien because I knew this would be my only change ever to maybe even talk to him.
hehe... i had the same reaction, following damien... but before i noticed i lost him. many people were running from one place to another and that is not my thing at all. i just kept an eye on vyv, but i lost her too. so, he left early.

i´m so glad for you and good for you being brave enough. i wasn´t and i kind of regret it. but i didn´t feel like 14 years old girl school... i was that 14 years old, so shy and insecure... and stupid for sure

new happy year, girl!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #35
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

Whaaaa what a lovely story !
Thanks for posting CoffeeJunkie!!
yes you are lucky girl!!!!!
If I were being in the same situation as yours, I would act like you xDD
Really nervous and head go blank xD
while I read your report, I could feel what you felt at that moment !
btw "It's funny" is all? XDD What a mistic guy haha
I hope I could meet him next month *3*
I am sure I will freeze in my tracts as soon as I find him though..hehe ☞_☜
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

He also forgot the words to blowers daughter.

That blows my mind. How is that possible when you wrote the lyrics and have played that song tens of thousands of times. Must be all the pot.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #37
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ hehe... i thought the same, but, you know, he seemed a little uncomfortable at first, and he even asked the audience if we could hear him. i think his mind was lost after that... or, maybe you are right about the pot (whatever it means ), hehe.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 AM   #38
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Oh my goooooosh CoffeeJunkie, thank you for that story!!! How awesome that you got to meet him!

Honestly, as a performer, I forget the words to my own music ALL the time...it's kind of awful. Most of the musicians I've seen live, actually, I've seen them all forget words too. Even Lisa did when we saw her live recently, mostly because we had distracted her though, I think!
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #39
CoffeeJunkie
Eskimo Baby

@ verenita: Too bad you lost both of them, but I know it was hard work to keep an eye on them..
I still can't believe I talked to him because of my shyness, but I hate the feeling of regret, so that's what kept me going. But you live in Dublin, so maybe someday you'll get the change to bump into him too Just keep your eyes open and I could tell he liked being appreciated, and be brave

Loved your story btw.
Happy new year to you too!!

@ MANGO: I hope you also get a change to talk to him, but just try to do a better job than me and keep it cool
lol, I thought the same thing about his "It's funny.." because what's funny? My tattoo, or something else I said?? But I loved hearing his laugh in real life though

Like mandarific, I don't think it's that weird he forgot the words.. As an artist, you don't listen to your own music, at least not in the way other people do. Also, Damien doens't really know what songs he will perform until that last moment, according to him that's what keeps his songs 'honest'. And no pot!! Just before busking he was talking to his family, and his cute little niece and nephew, so no way!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #40
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
but I hate the feeling of regret, so that's what kept me going.

me too! that´s why i got so mad at myself in the end... but, well... i had my chance when he played in ba and i surely took it, at least i have that

can we see the tatoo? i don´t like tatoos actually, but i know it can mean too much to people... and the cover of O is just beautiful.

new happy hear
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #41
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

thesedays I imagen what should I tell him if I could meet him xD
even when I go to bed !! Crazy xD
Blame it on him! He is so special in my life!
Oh yes his laught sounds in front of you is so cooool and cute
and I wanna see your tatoo too <3
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #42
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #43
CoffeeJunkie
Eskimo Baby

Oh, I must search the forum for that story, verenita, guess I missed that one... I will post a picture of my tattoo when I have one. I'm not really the type of person who shows off my tattoo, so I don't even have a picture yet

Can't wait for your story next month Mango!!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #44
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^great story!!!!! loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and those clips are very good too!!!!!

wish they did the busking thing on any other day... I will never be able to attend being Dec 24, my family would kill me if I0m not home for Xmas...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #45
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´ve just found these pics from xmas busk. this one proves that his sexyness is still intact
Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #46
Fjordline
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
i´ve just found these pics from xmas busk. this one proves that his sexyness is still intact
I'm not so sure ;-)
Fjordline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #47
verenita
... trusty and true ...

after i posted it, i realize that many people may not agree with me... but i said nothing but the truth... from my perspective
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #48
Rose
Eskimo Baby

I totally agree verenita...he can try to hide his cuteness all he wants...
It won't work!! LOL
I don;t care if he grows his hair down to the floor.
Still adorable & sexy!!
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote