Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

Default My view on the album now

Not posted here in a while, but upon the album release I was straight on here to slate it and say how different it was to his old stuff and also that I wasn't keen.

Months on of listening on and off, it's really grown on me and feels like a genuine step in the right direction for Damien especially with the clarity and closeness of the tracks.

Anyone else feel the same or has your opinions gone in the opposite direction ?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
damien lisa
am i breaking u

i heard someone who's a huge fan of damo then gave up on his music after I dont want to change u

o has grown on me. This album go the opposite direction. First, i was amazed by "8 years factor". Then, it's just "another" not "favourite faded fantasy"
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
cookienator
Eskimo Friend

I think that's the beauty of his music. The more you listen to it, the more you understand and relate to it. I remember when I first heard his album I didn't care for Long Long Way or Trusty and True that much, but now after listening to them a bagillion times, I can really feel his emotion and his struggle to understand life. And that in turn makes me think about my own and how real everything he's singing about is. I know a lot of people said this whole album was about Lisa, but I don't agree. I think she influenced it for sure, but to me every song is about himself and his own self-discovery, which makes it even more powerful. Every song on that album is a masterpiece because of it's honesty, it's just a matter of how long it takes you to feel it.

And I agree that it's the right step for him, not because of the miniscule amount we know of his baggage, but because he is an individual trying to figure out his life like the rest of us. And by creating an album about that, it shows his growth and maturity as an artist and a person. I can't wait to hear more.
cookienator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookienator View Post
I remember when I first heard his album I didn't care for Long Long Way or Trusty and True that much.

lol. those were the songs that i liked the most from the very beginning i couldn´t decide which one i liked better. i loved and felt the record back then and i do it know... and i´m happy for that
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookienator View Post
I know a lot of people said this whole album was about Lisa, but I don't agree. I think she influenced it for sure, but to me every song is about himself and his own self-discovery, which makes it even more powerful.
"just another phase of finding what I really need". I think damo is his muse himself. All the song is abt him, or his willy
Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
carrroline
person

interesting question… I don't have a definite answer though.

To be honest, I hardly ever listen to the album, but then again I hardly ever listen to o or 9 either.

Some songs have grown on me.
Change you, for example, I really didn't like that one at first, but my phone's shuffle mode decided to play it last week, and I loved it. The falsetto in MFFF as well.

In general, I still prefer his live stuff to any record.
And the heartbreaking, angry and nasty unreleased stuff… (I think I would have loved the album that he didn't finish )

Last edited by carrroline; 06-05-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i prefer live versions too, especially because he doesn´t rely on what has been proven to work for a song. he always push himself further and he keeps the awesomeness of the songs. however, i love the studio versions as well. i think they show how they sound in damien´s mind and all the work and care he thinks they diserve.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
however, i love the studio versions as well. i think they show how they sound in damien´s mind and all the work and care he thinks they diserve.
I love your point of view on this. (and I can see how mine sounds a bit ungrateful towards the hard work in the studio —sorry damien )
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

lol not ungrateful at all. liking something better doesn´t mean to dislike the rest of the stuff, does it?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
acquadigio
Eskimo Regular

Song that grew the most on me is I don't want to change you.
And Long long way has become one of my all time favorites. Best song of the album for me.

I only listen to live footage after each show but rarely play them again later. In some way I prefer album versions, 'cos O and MFFF are still on my everyday playlist. It's hard to explain but I just love the emotion in Damien's studio voices, the deep and complex inner feeling such as love, hate, frustration, hope, anger ... he has put into the songs through his voice and music, which makes me strongly moved everytime
acquadigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I´m still listening to the album a lot... mostly cos I bought it on vinyl, then I bought a record player but I got like 3 records only, so MFFF gets played a lot, has little competition

I loved the album since day one, and still love it now, even a little bit more... after the live shows I´m totally addicted to Long Long Way, could listen to it on a loop, just this song, all day every day

The one song that has finally clicked is It Takes a Lot, still not a 10 for me cos some of the lyrics are too banal, but almost there... same for Change You, still a bit too Delicate-esque and some lyrics are cheesy (the manger part) but the rest of lyrics are great (I can wait without waiting)

I also watch a lot of youtubes together with the album versions. What I´m a bit tired of is listening to the bootlegs, not doing it much anymore, prefer the youtube videos...
Old 06-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

I've loved this album since its release, and my favorite is a tie between Colour Me In and Long Long Way.

Colour Me In really grew on me after listening to this album on repeat for a few weeks. I love how simple yet beautiful this song is, and the lyrics really drew me in as well.

I enjoyed Long Long Way but it truly touched me after seeing it performed live at the Beacon Theatre this past spring. The whole experience was dramatic and haunting, plus the combination of the two instruments was brilliant.
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #13
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyyhc View Post
I've loved this album since its release, and my favorite is a tie between Colour Me In and Long Long Way.

Colour Me In really grew on me after listening to this album on repeat for a few weeks. I love how simple yet beautiful this song is, and the lyrics really drew me in as well.

I enjoyed Long Long Way but it truly touched me after seeing it performed live at the Beacon Theatre this past spring. The whole experience was dramatic and haunting, plus the combination of the two instruments was brilliant.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Amy- Have you heard the Boston version of Long Long way where he did a snippet of Cold Water? ...Chilling.
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #14
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Amy- Have you heard the Boston version of Long Long way where he did a snippet of Cold Water? ...Chilling.
Yes! I believe someone linked it on another thread in this forum. LOVE that live performance as well.
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
eskimoeason
Eskimo Baby

I myself did pretty lot in writing, art and design with a huge passion for music and friends in these fields, I have also got knowing really heaps of artists, designers, writers, musicians of the late as well as the alive, everything all comes down to what one really thinks and does accordingly, all these forms of self expression are no more than just media through which one's thoughts are realised and the communication with the external is done. It is about one's bigger inner world of being who they really are.

To do what Damien does, completely being honest, genuine and true to himself, really very few people can achieve, let alone his talent in translating all his thoughts, emotions along with many other things into subtle music consistently and with extremely indentifiable personal identity and the more beyond that which i eventually figured out is humanity.

people always say we should not judge others based on their physical appearances and their wearing, that is a very naive view, everything about us either visible or invisible frankly speaks who we really but it does need skills and experiences to develop a better understanding which should be not a problem if art and similar kinds have accompanied you through your past lives. Because of this, with every move Damien has made as well as many other things about him, he is truly a remarkable human being.

I myself definitely do not worship him but admiration to him is for sure. If we had some more human beings like him in other so called creative fields, the world would be way much better.
eskimoeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #16
cille
creepycute

I still haven't been able to listen through the whole thing yet
It just doesn't do it for me, and some i siimply can't stand to listen to. I hope seeing Damien live in August will change my mind. Still, just glad to have him back in the game.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #17
damien lisa
am i breaking u

how different the third album is. O and 9 have strong connection between songs http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...t=14876&page=7
Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #18
Mahesh
Eskimo Friend

Personally for me, I think I always will like any music he would put out simply because of the kind of the artist and singer songwriter Damo is. He isn't like many. He's not afraid to be vulnerable and give it all away in his music. So every song has a genuine story, usually of pain, behind it. Only a few artists have moved me so much like this to be able to listen and relate to anything they put out, Damien is one of em. I hope he stays that way.
Mahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #19
Another Fool
What more can I say?

I liked the album when it came out, but wasn't in love with certain things.

Over time I've come to love the entire album. The only thing I wish was that "It Takes a Lot to Know a Man" had some aspects of the live outro included, and for Mustard Seeds to have made the final cut.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
Bjerreskov
Eskimo Baby

I felt and still feel like this is his weakest album. The only song from here I would put in a Damo top 10 is The Box. On the other hand, I would probably put Mustard Seeds at the top of that list (or maybe 2nd after Elephant). So I'm frustrated that it got cut from the album, and we have to settle for YouTube recordings with poor audio.
Bjerreskov is offline   Reply With Quote