Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #91
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Here's a pic of him rehearsing earlier in the night with the Silver Lake Chorus.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #92
ufgatorphil
Eskimo Baby

Default Secret Show in L.A.

First time posting on here, long time reader/lurker, but had such an amazing thing happen that I felt like I should share:

So I just got home from seeing the secret show in Los Angeles! It was at The Village Recorder, a recording studio in West L.A. They were definitely recording the session (audio and video). Damien even commented about having to wear headphones and how awkward it was, but it was for the session. They asked that nobody record any video or pictures, but I know someone who recorded all of the audio anyway.
He only did 6 songs (he apologized for it being short, but insinuated it had been a busy/rough day). 5 of them were new songs, the only one that wasn't new was "Rootless Tree", and he only played that one because there was a piano in the room. Since he wasn't comfortable with playing any of the new stuff on the piano yet, and didn't want the piano to go unused.
The Setlist was:

I Don't Want to Change You
Colour Me In
The Box
Rootless Tree
Trusty and True
The Greatest Bastard

Although short and sweet, it was amazing to be 5 feet away from Damien in a room with roughly 30 people listening to a lot of new stuff that wasn't so familiar yet (I hadn't even heard "Colour Me In" before today). I feel really blessed that what I wrote was deemed good enough to get chosen to be there. Between last night then today, it was an embarrassment of riches after never getting to see him live before.
ufgatorphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #93
ramiendice
Eskimo Friend

Thanks for sharing, what an experience!
I would love the chance to see Damien perform at a small show like that in Canada.
Love Rootless Tree so I would have been happy with that.
I wonder if this is for a TV broadcast? Was it DSLR cameras filming or larger video cameras?
ramiendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #94
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Thank you for the review, ufgatorphil!
Do you know if it will be aired somewhere? Maybe some radio station... I know that The Village is where they record KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, do you know if it has to do anything with the audio/video recording of the night?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #95
ufgatorphil
Eskimo Baby

They didn't say where it would be seen/heard. Based on what I know (I work in the film industry) this was not for television. My guess is some sort of web series (think AOL sessions). I do have access to the audio from it, but I don't want to upset anyone, as they did ask us to not record, and since we were chosen, I wouldn't feel right posting it. I'm sure this will be online somewhere fairly quick (possibly in conjunction with the album release since it was a lot of the new stuff?)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #96
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgatorphil View Post
They didn't say where it would be seen/heard. Based on what I know (I work in the film industry) this was not for television. My guess is some sort of web series (think AOL sessions). I do have access to the audio from it, but I don't want to upset anyone, as they did ask us to not record, and since we were chosen, I wouldn't feel right posting it. I'm sure this will be online somewhere fairly quick (possibly in conjunction with the album release since it was a lot of the new stuff?)
Thanks for the review!
It's very understandable that you don't want to share the audio, but could you tell us a bit more about 'Colour me in'?
What did it sound like?
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #97
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

thanks for the review! great that he´s doing these little sessions, he´s also doing one next Monday I believe

really curious to hear Colour Me In!!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #98
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

That's very interesting that they didn't say who it was for. I know who it was for but now I don't want to say it publicly if they didn't announce it there for some reason. Usually they're very obvious about it.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #99
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Awesome review, Phil! Sounds like an amazing session! Did Damien do any introductions of the songs?

Regarding the sharing of his new material, personally I'm happy to wait for the album to come out. It's exciting to hear that he's playing new songs live but if they're being this proactive about removing them, as well as specifically asking people not to record, then I think it's best to respect that. We already have some great quality recordings of a few of the MFFF songs (my favourite being The Box @ Kaffibarinn) so that'll do in the mean time. I've waited eight years, I can wait a few weeks more!
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #100
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I don´t see a problem with sharing live versions... not the same as studio versions, so no big deal
Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #101
ufgatorphil
Eskimo Baby

I will try my best to explain it:

It is "melancholic"- that typical kind of angsty Damo sound, but it is a little more hopeful/positive. Generalizing it, it's a love song. The music reminds me a little of "Delicate". Damien's voice on it reminded me of the verses in "The Animals Were Gone", if that makes any sense. Don't know if that is helpful.

SPOILER ALERT - LYRICS TO "COLOUR ME IN"

I tried to impress it and I carried it's crown
I reached out to undress it and love let me down
love let me down
So I tried to erase it, the ink bled right through
Almost drove myself crazy, what these words meant to you
And all these useless dreams of living lone(long?) like a dogless bone

So come let me love you
come let me love you
and then
color me in

I tried to pretend(?), to cover it up
I reached out to amend it was never enough
never enough
so I tried to forget it was all part of the show
oh so I regret it but what do I know
but all these useless dreams of living lone(long?) like a dogless bone

So come let me love you
come let me love you
and then
color me in

come let me love you
come let me take this to the end
all these useless dreams of living
all these useless dreams
all these ohhhh no

come let me love you
come let me love you
come let me love you
color me in

ohhh ohhh ohhh
ohhh ohhh ohhh

doo dooo da doo doo
doo da doo dododo
doodooo dodo dadoo

THE END

Best that I could do. If I was unsure I put parentheses. Hope that helps
Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #102
ufgatorphil
Eskimo Baby

borneoman, no offense, but since I was invited by Damien's camp/team/whatever, and they asked not to record, I don't think it is appropriate to do so. I realize that it may seem hypocritical since clearly I have the audio, in my humble opinion I was at the show and if I am to re-listen to it there isn't any harm done. If I were to post it, then tons of people would have it and hear it, which is obvious that is something they don't want, for whatever reason.
Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #103
ufgatorphil
Eskimo Baby

Moves-my-world,

He didn't really do introductions. He did talk in between - mentioned doing new stuff, not knowing the new stuff that well yet, worrying he would make a mistake but since the songs are new to most we wouldn't notice his mistakes - things like that, but not stories about the songs like I have heard him do with Blower's Daughter or a skit like with Cheers Darlin'.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #104
ufgatorphil
Eskimo Baby

I will try my best to explain it:

It is "melancholic"- that typical kind of angsty Damo sound, but it is a little more hopeful/positive. Generalizing it, it's a love song. The music reminds me a little of "Delicate". Damien's voice on it reminded me of the verses in "The Animals Were Gone", if that makes any sense. Don't know if that is helpful.

SPOILER ALERT - LYRICS TO "COLOUR ME IN"

I tried to impress it and I carried it's crown
I reached out to undress it and love let me down
love let me down
So I tried to erase it, the ink bled right through
Almost drove myself crazy, what these words meant to you
And all these useless dreams of living lone(long?) like a dogless bone

So come let me love you
come let me love you
and then
color me in

I tried to pretend(?), to cover it up
I reached out to amend it was never enough
never enough
so I tried to forget it was all part of the show
oh so I regret it but what do I know
but all these useless dreams of living lone(long?) like a dogless bone

So come let me love you
come let me love you
and then
color me in

come let me love you
come let me take this to the end
all these useless dreams
all these ohhhh no

come let me love you
come let me love you
come let me love you
color me in

ohhh ohhh ohhh
ohhh ohhh ohhh

doo dooo da doo doo
doo da doo dododo
doodooo dodo dadoo

THE END

Best that I could do. If I was unsure I put parentheses. Hope that helps
Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #105
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
That's very interesting that they didn't say who it was for. I know who it was for but now I don't want to say it publicly if they didn't announce it there for some reason. Usually they're very obvious about it.
I am sorry but this makes no sense.
of course it is out of respect that people who were there don't share pubicly audio or video from the gig, in particular if asked not to.
But if you know which radio station it was for, why wouldn't you tell everyone? So we can keep an eye on that radio station or something...

I am sorry but if everyone on here was like "I know it, but there's a reason if other people don't" then this community would have die like 10 years ago.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #106
Damohohoh
Eskimo Friend

Hi! First time poster

I am really enjoying all the recaps and reviews from his recent leg of tour. I had a small request, what I particularly enjoy about Damien is, that even when he plays his old stuff, he always plays around a little, with the musical set up, with the lyrics etc. Like at Whelan's he added that extra runaway to Rootless Tree, and then I noticed an additional bit he added to Accidental Babies at the San Francisco set (can't understand what he says, so if anyone could enlighten me with that, it would be great as well).

Anyone care to share which songs he altered a bit in this show? Usually it will be a line here and there, or a bit of a run in with a different set of verses. Thanks a ton!
Damohohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #107
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

agree with what Glo was saying above, this is a community, some of us have been sharing stuff for like 10 years, everybody shares with everybody, that´s what eskimofriends is about, if you don´t get that, better stick to twitter
Old 10-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #108
carrroline
person

Thank you, Ufgatorphil!!!
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #109
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I'm gonna avoid reading the lyrics or listening to any more new songs. Try to save something for the release next month.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #110
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^same here... old school, I suppose. as for sharing, i can't see the problem of doing it as long as it can be done... if you are specifically requested not to do this or that, then you should be respectful. another thing is to share info that won't harm anyone, but this is only my humble opinion.
thanks for you review, phil, glad for you!
Old 10-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #111
Abso
Eskimo Friend

Thank you to all uploaders for sharing their vids, really much appreciated! I have now to manage to resist listening to new songs fully as I want to keep some surprise for November but that's exquisely delightful to see that Damien seems in good shape, his sense of humour never gone far and this magic when playing and singing...God I've missed him so much, can't wait to have a proper show and album to enjoy!
Many thanks again!
Abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #112
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I'm glad that you had the experience, ufgatorphil. Thanks for the lyrics and story!

I appreciate the sharing, whether private or public. I would not have survived on the mere 30 or so recorded songs all these years. I hope it's posted soon.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #113
damien lisa
am i breaking u

volcano, lol. Damo and Lisa have never used 1 mic together to sing
Old 10-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #114
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #115
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

My photos from the other night.

Great show indeed.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #116
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Those photos are beautiful!! Did you have a press pass? I'm terrified to bring a pro-rig without one (I'm a medical photographer without press credentials).

Great work!
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #117
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Fight, did you also tape the show?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #118
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

those photos are beautiful! thank you!
conanemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #119
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

@DesoleInBoston - Thank you. It probably depends more on the venue than anything.

@borneoman - I just do still photos. I snapped a few throughout the show, but I wasn't shooting throughout the whole evening. I saw a lot of folks taping on point and shoots, but I'm sure it'll just be a matter of time before they find their way to youtube.

@conanemily - thanks.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #120
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

Well I'm back home so I can finally decompress from the trip. I was in the front of the balcony, which was truly great. Good view and the church was majestical. I did say to my husband later, how well could you make out his face? Bc things were almost blurry to me most of the night. He said really well so I laughed it off to my eyes being glossed in emotion lol. The second he started Rootless Tree my body just changed, idk how to explain it. Tears streamed down my face the whole time. It was for sure my emotional experience of the night. Towards the end, instead of the multiple "**** yous" with only one "love you", he repeated love you. Trusty and True was the only song I had not heard.
The only disappointments from the night were, it was hot as hell up in the balcony. We ended up running out afterward bc we felt lightheaded. I didn't meet any Eskimos. I did meet a longtime fan who wasn't an Eskimo, she was great and even gave me suggestions on where to go the next day. There were two couples behind us in line that were pretty friendly. Sad I didn't get to meet anyone from here though.