Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Default Minneapolis Gig!!!

So I can't go to my first Damien show and not talk about it!

First of all, the only thing I didn't like about the show is when he ended. I was sad to see him finish. I had great seats in the pit I got at the last minute after my other tickets fell through. We couldn't have been more than 10 feet away from him. When he asked for a coin so he could flip it to decide between old and new, I tossed him a quarter, and though about 5 other people did the same, I choose to believe he used mine!!

On to the actual performance... Amazing, I had chills and as corny as it sounds, I held back tears. As far as songs, I have Accidental Babies, but I guess I just never gave it enough time because when he sang it, I thought it was incredible, emotional, beautiful and now I've been listening to it non-stop.

I could go and go and go but I want others who attended the show to tell me their thoughts about it. As far as Fiona, I admit I didn't go for her although I do think she is a great singer. I wasn't thrilled with her and she seemed angry and almost violently ill, but maybe that's just her thing. I don't know that I'd see her without Damien. I SO wished he was the headliner.

I also found interesting the difference between people's thoughts on the show. Some bored with Damien, some Fiona. But where I was sitting, more people seemed to be there for him, because we had several empty seats around us....BRILLIANT, INCREDIBLE... UGH!! i WANT MORE!!
OK SO WHAT DID EVERYONE ELSE THINK???????
Old 07-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i looked for you andy but i didn't see you! lucky you to be so close! especially first time seeing him

i thought the gig friday night was great! it was fantastic seeing damien again after two years of waiting for him to make it back over to this remote little corner of the globe, and even though he didn't play long it was well worth the trip..

it was a very laid back, relaxed show - damien came out on his own, quietly and unnoticed at first, but when he picked up his guitar some people took notice and cheered. others were still standing up, talking, and trying to find their seats (which was pretty annoying) but damien sounded amazing as usual, from the first note to the last..

setlist:
cannonball - solo
then go - shane, vyv and earl harvin came out.. they did the awesome extended version he's been doing this tour. there's a new part in the middle of this song and the first time i heard it i thought "that's a new song" but that was just my first impression. i think this one was my favorite of the night
volcano - extended and intense
accidental babies - everyone laughed at that particular line in the song, though i'm not sure why.. damien played the keys on it and he played a little refrain toward the end that reminded me of jewelry box in a way.. this one was also a highlight of the show for me

then damien started to pick up the telecaster but said "no", put it back down and picked up his lowden again (which made me curious as to what he was going to play but decided not to) then he went into:

i remember - superb, as usual
woman like a man - he completely rocked this and toward the end was kind of singing 'i'll get a cheaper ticket next time' in a girl's voice, which i thought was funny because it suits the song.. for some reason this was the song i felt the absence of lisa and tomo the most..
older chests - this one brought tears to my eyes

at this point he introduced the rest of the band (he never actually introduced himself) and thanked fiona and the crew, saying that it had been a really sweet, relaxing tour and they had enjoyed it, but they were going their separate ways for awhile and heading up to canada then would meet up again for the rest of the tour. earl harvin is a really good drummer i liked him! vyv was wearing a long baby blue gown, and her hair is cut a little shorter just below her shoulders and she looked very beautiful. everytime she would come in with her cello it made me realize how integral her sound is to the music.. it was really great to see her up there playing beside damien. shane was cool and chillin as usual, it was good to see him there as well

then damien said he had the space for one more song and asked us if we wanted to hear something old or new, because he had a song that had a part 1 and a part 2. people shouted out answers but he said we weren't being clear so he asked if anyone had a coin.. people started throwing coins up on stage and he kind of had to duck so some of them didn't hit him hehe.. then he asked if we had any 20 dollar bills we'd like to throw up there as well so he called it heads for a new song and tails for old, and flipped the coin and said "old". a guy sitting two seats away from me said "and so it is".. (i liked him, he was the only other person near me who was into damien) and then they played and ended with:

the blowers daughter

i could be wrong but i don't think the majority of the audience was really familiar with damien, but i would say a good 20-25 percent of the people there were fans.. so even though the crowd was still settling in and not really paying attention during the beginning of his set, there were points in the performance when he completely stilled the room into silence, which i thought was very cool. because it was during quiet parts of the songs and it was like everyone was hushed and listening and completely drawn into it.. it reminded me of how powerful his music can be even (or maybe moreso) in it's gentle moments. he also took it to the wall and rocked out but seemed a little more restrained (or more mellow) than usual. but what i really noticed was the precision.. he seemed totally in control of every note and nuance and delivered each song brilliantly!

one word - perfection
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
apeydoo2000
Eskimo Baby

Talking Minneapolis show

I was also at this show and I thought it was amazing. I really wished that he could have played longer. I hope next time he headlines the tour. I did get a chance to meet him before the show. He was a sweetheart. He was just hanging out smoking a cigarette behind the Northrup before the show. I had seen him in public before but was way to shy to go up and talk to him. So this time I forced myself to go up and say hello. I shook his hand and I was so nervous I pretty much just babbled on and on for about five minutes. He asked if I was from Minnesota and introduced my friends and I to the drummer, Earl. I commented that it was strange to see him just hanging out in the crowd and he said he didn't ususally get recognized. I of course noticed it was him from a block away. It was a great way to start the night.
apeydoo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 PM
eskimoiowa
This message has been deleted by eskimoiowa.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i looked for you andy but i didn't see you! lucky you to be so close! especially first time seeing him

then go - shane, vyv and earl harvin came out.. they did the awesome extended version he's been doing this tour. there's a new part in the middle of this song and the first time i heard it i thought "that's a new song" but that was just my first impression. i think this one was my favorite of the night

accidental babies - everyone laughed at that particular line in the song, though i'm not sure why.. damien played the keys on it and he played a little refrain toward the end that reminded me of jewelry box in a way.. this one was also a highlight of the show for me

older chests - this one brought tears to my eyes

he said we weren't being clear so he asked if anyone had a coin.. people started throwing coins up on stage and he kind of had to duck so some of them didn't hit him hehe..
.. he seemed totally in control of every note and nuance and delivered each song brilliantly!

one word - perfection
Well, Melissa, I looked for you too. I was hoping we could meet, but considering i've no idea what you look like kinda hinders that!

I agree wholly with you about your favorite moments...Then Go-Words cannot explain, Accidental Babies and Older Chests really tested my ability to hold back tears to the utmost and yet I think one may have squeezed out. I had chills. And I thought the same about everyone laughing at that particular moment in Accidental Babies- I don't see why they laugh, I wasn't close to that emotion. But it's on the recording too, so I guess others find it funny too.

Again, I must insist that the coin he picked up was mine.. It just was, so no arguments please.hehe

Brilliant... Perfect...powerful.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydoo2000
I was also at this show and I thought it was amazing. I really wished that he could have played longer. I hope next time he headlines the tour. I did get a chance to meet him before the show.
Wish I'd have known to look for you too. We all wish it could have been longer, and you've no idea how jealous I am that you got to meet him. I scoped the place thinking he may have been around but no luck. Although, I am fairly sure it would've taken every bone in my body to muster up the confidence to say hi AND not sound like a blubbering fool.. GOOD FOR YOU!!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
waitenc1
Eskimo Baby

Default Agreed

I had gone to the Chicago show the night before. After seeing Fionna's craziness that night, I decided not to stick around for her after Damien's performance in Minneapolis. The show was amazing....honestly I think it was better than the Chicago show the night before. After the show, my friend and I went behind the auditorium to see if we could find Damien. He was outside, talking to his bandmates. We hung out for about 20 minutes and then he came over and talked to us for about 5 minutes. I was in heaven....seriously.

Do you know if anyone got a recording of the concert?
waitenc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

I tried to tape, but I'm clearly unexperienced... My (what I thought to be hidden) mic was spotted by security where they rip tickets... I'll try harder next time, cuz i paid good money for it and they nabbed it.

My heart is heavy hearing of all these encounters with Damien, although as I said... I'm pretty sure I would have had no composure and made myself appear much less intelligent than I am. YOU ARE SOO LUCKY PEOPLE!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

oh man that sucks they nabbed your mic! good on ya for trying tho! btw, do you guys call the cops 'the nab'? or is that an eastern iowa thing only? and y'know i befriended you on myspace the day before the gig, so i was going off your pic on there when i tried to spot you.. i must have been thrown off by the lack of gangsta colors

honestly hun, i don't mean to make your heart any heavier, but i also had an encounter.. though if it's any comfort i wasn't composed AT ALL! i was kind of shy to talk about it at first but what the hell..

i didn't stay for fiona, i got up as soon as damien finished his set and went outside to have a smoke. i thought i'd walk around back by the tour buses because i thought i had seen jonathon going in those doors when we pulled up to the venue.. and lo and behold there was himself (also having a smoke) with earl harvin and someone else, i don't remember who..

i started to walk up toward the back stairs where they were standing to say hello, and a security guy came out the door and said "can i help you?" (in the scary intimidating security guy way) and i caught damien's eye and waved and said "i just wanted to say hello to damien", and he was really sweet and waved back at me and said "i'll just come over there" and came over to talk to me.. at that point i kind of had this urge to turn tail and run because he was actually coming over to talk to me! but i stood my ground and tried not to pass out

i was very nervous and probably sounded like an idiot, since i don't generally go up to speak to people i've never met, let alone someone i admire.. anyway i introduced myself and shook his hand, then i told him how great it was to see him play live again and how much i loved his music.. i asked him if i could give him a hug and he said "well i'm a little wet.. but yeah" so yay! i finally got to hug damien (it was okay if he was a little sweaty, the temperature was in the upper 90's and he had just played his heart out)

he asked me if i was staying for fiona and i said no, she wasn't really my style, i had just come to see him.. he said after this they were breaking off from fiona and going up to canada to play, then they would meet up again and lisa would be with them for the east coast leg of the the tour (he seemed to be very aware of how many people miss lisa) i told him i enjoyed hearing him play with the band, solo without the band, whatever.. it was just really good to see him again!

i didn't question him about the new album or anything, and i didn't say a lot of the things i always wanted to say because i didn't want to intrude for too long and there just wasn't time.. i had a camera and could have asked him to pose for a picture or sign an autograph or something, but i was just kind of awestruck to finally meet him and i didn't want to impose.. really all i've ever wanted if i got the chance is to tell him how much his music means to me and thank him.. as incoherent as i probably was i hope i was able to put that across at least

so that's my little 'i actually got up the nerve to go up and meet damien' story.. sorry it was so long but i felt like sharing (because it was a big deal to me) and yes i'm aware that i sound like a total happy spa fan
Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

i can't hear anymore....
Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimoiowa
i can't hear anymore....
aww don't feel bad.. i kicked myself for ages for not being brave enough to say hello two years ago. i saw him twice that time and couldn't work up the nerve.. gah damn the shyness.. don't worry you'll catch him next time around!

i really wish i had seen you.. there were empty seats in the pit?! i would have come over and crashed the party if i had known that! you probably had the best seats in the house
Old 07-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
samuelle
care bear stare!

i'm trying to figure out what rock i've been living under that i missed his minneapolis show... it sounds like it was amazing and i wish i could have been there; the minneapolis drive is totally doable.

oh well. i'll try not to let the jealousy eat me alive too much.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:36 AM   #12
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelle
i'm trying to figure out what rock i've been living under that i missed his minneapolis show... it sounds like it was amazing and i wish i could have been there; the minneapolis drive is totally doable.

oh well. i'll try not to let the jealousy eat me alive too much.
girl, you need to check the news page more often! we could have met up for the gig, that would have been fun.. i'll be sure to nudge you when tour dates are posted from now on
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

Quote:

so that's my little 'i actually got up the nerve to go up and meet damien' story.. sorry it was so long but i felt like sharing (because it was a big deal to me) and yes i'm aware that i sound like a total happy spa fan
Awww, Yay Melissa!!! Now your nickname should be "LUCKY" too!!!!

Thanks for sharing your Damo encounter stories everyone!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 AM   #14
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Quote:
i really wish i had seen you.. there were empty seats in the pit?! i would have come over and crashed the party if i had known that! you probably had the best seats in the house
Yeah, that would have been cool, but the security guys were quite demanding about seeing our ticket stubs... HE KNEW ME by the 4th time getting up, but noooo.... May I see your ticket please?? Every daggon time
Old 07-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #15
Ashley
Eskimo Friend

I can't believe how many people are meeting Damien! I got to the Chicago gig way early so I could see him at soundcheck, but wasn't allowed to go anywhere until after his check. Then I kept walking up and down the street where the trailors/buses were, but still no sight. you guys are way lucky! I'm going to be way more ballsy next time!
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:15 AM   #16
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleillily
Awww, Yay Melissa!!! Now your nickname should be "LUCKY" too!!!!
thanks susana! but no you will always be "LUCKY".. i'll just go with "uncharacteristically bold" or "unbelievably ballsy" or something like that

hmm.. not quite as catchy as "lucky"..

you know, on second thought i don't need a nickname

it was really nice to meet him! iowa, next gig i'm dragging you with me and we'll find that man for a wee chat and a hug for you too
Old 07-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #17
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

Quote:
"unbelievably ballsy"

next gig i'm dragging you with me and we'll find that man for a wee chat and a hug for you too
I like "unbelievably ballsy" cos you have to be AND it's good to be sometimes!!

And Ohhh yes, please take me with!!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #18
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleillily
I like "unbelievably ballsy" cos you have to be AND it's good to be sometimes!!

And Ohhh yes, please take me with!!!!!
you know you're right! and sure i'll take you along, but i'll head out your way and meet you there for the next gig, okay? i could use some of that california sunshine especially come january in the midwest...
Old 07-24-2006, 02:06 AM   #19
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

yeah, sister.... Sadly I think you'd have to drag me. I'm chicken. And uh, yeah...West Coast Damien gig in January... Sign me up!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #20
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
oh man that sucks they nabbed your mic! good on ya for trying tho! btw, do you guys call the cops 'the nab'? or is that an eastern iowa thing only? and y'know i befriended you on myspace the day before the gig, so i was going off your pic on there when i tried to spot you.. i must have been thrown off by the lack of gangsta colors

honestly hun, i don't mean to make your heart any heavier, but i also had an encounter.. though if it's any comfort i wasn't composed AT ALL! i was kind of shy to talk about it at first but what the hell..

i didn't stay for fiona, i got up as soon as damien finished his set and went outside to have a smoke. i thought i'd walk around back by the tour buses because i thought i had seen jonathon going in those doors when we pulled up to the venue.. and lo and behold there was himself (also having a smoke) with earl harvin and someone else, i don't remember who..

i started to walk up toward the back stairs where they were standing to say hello, and a security guy came out the door and said "can i help you?" (in the scary intimidating security guy way) and i caught damien's eye and waved and said "i just wanted to say hello to damien", and he was really sweet and waved back at me and said "i'll just come over there" and came over to talk to me.. at that point i kind of had this urge to turn tail and run because he was actually coming over to talk to me! but i stood my ground and tried not to pass out

i was very nervous and probably sounded like an idiot, since i don't generally go up to speak to people i've never met, let alone someone i admire.. anyway i introduced myself and shook his hand, then i told him how great it was to see him play live again and how much i loved his music.. i asked him if i could give him a hug and he said "well i'm a little wet.. but yeah" so yay! i finally got to hug damien (it was okay if he was a little sweaty, the temperature was in the upper 90's and he had just played his heart out)

he asked me if i was staying for fiona and i said no, she wasn't really my style, i had just come to see him.. he said after this they were breaking off from fiona and going up to canada to play, then they would meet up again and lisa would be with them for the east coast leg of the the tour (he seemed to be very aware of how many people miss lisa) i told him i enjoyed hearing him play with the band, solo without the band, whatever.. it was just really good to see him again!

i didn't question him about the new album or anything, and i didn't say a lot of the things i always wanted to say because i didn't want to intrude for too long and there just wasn't time.. i had a camera and could have asked him to pose for a picture or sign an autograph or something, but i was just kind of awestruck to finally meet him and i didn't want to impose.. really all i've ever wanted if i got the chance is to tell him how much his music means to me and thank him.. as incoherent as i probably was i hope i was able to put that across at least

Oh wow Melissa that is so cool.. I'm so happy for you.. What a great memory.
p.s. Were his eyes as beautiful as they appear in pics? I think He is so adorable, the dimples, the eyes.. yum..
cheers

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

WOW!!! Never had thought it would be so 'easy' to meet an artist after a show... If so, I would have tried in my Concord show instead of listening to the un-listenable Fiona!!

I'm also in California so count me in if you plan to meet Damien next year
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM   #22
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

The mn show was unreal i wish he would have played longer and i didnt have a guy with a big head infornt of me..... it was all worth it though. fiona not really my cup of tea
dmbarbie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:19 AM   #23
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

damn big-headed people, i had two in front of me and a guy beside me who kept fidgeting and sighing and acting bored all the way through damien's set..

i wanted to smack him
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia
Oh wow Melissa that is so cool.. I'm so happy for you.. What a great memory.
p.s. Were his eyes as beautiful as they appear in pics? I think He is so adorable, the dimples, the eyes.. yum..
cheers
ah julia i didn't see this before! you know it was funny.. he just looked like a normal guy, not anything amazing or extraordinary, just a guy

i don't think he smiled so i didn't see any dimples sadly, but he does have nice eyes.. it's funny the things you notice though, i found myself thinking things like "he doesn't have much of an accent" and "wow, he's really short" lol! seriously, he's tiny.. i was afraid to hug him too hard i was worried i might break him

but it was just like talking to a regular guy, if i hadn't been aware of who he was and just bumped into him on the street i don't know that he would have been that memorable.. ironic isn't it?

i'm glad this got brought up again because i forgot to mention that damien got a standing ovation at the gig

even though he only played for about half an hour.. that was my only complaint, that it was so brief. otherwise it was perfect, and as usual.. very memorable
Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #24
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

he played a short time but now i can die happy! i pretty much spent a dollar a min to see him but it was great
dmbarbie69 is offline   Reply With Quote