The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Nine
Inuit

Default Damien Rice quotes

post your favourites?

Mine is this one, when talking about Me, My Yoke, & I:

"It's about being completely in conflict with... your sexuality... your sex drive.. and God... and your body, and other people, and their thoughts - thoughts about you and thoughts about them - and your desires, and your desires, and your desires... and your truth."
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
A2_Blue
Eskimo Friend

mine is on "Groovin'" when he starts playing the upbeat song he says before singing... " this is the kind of mood i'm in" and everyone laughs
A2_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
riotana
Eskimo Friend

I like what he said before playing Lazy Situation:
"Ok.This is a song about going out with somebody and being completely obsessed with this other person,and the person that you're obsessed with is totally obsessed with somebody else. And your best friend is completely obsessed with your girlfriend.And..." (laughs)

Also I really like what he said about Global Warming:
"I am hoping our minds will open like parachutes and save us before we crash"
Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

I like the explanation for Amie that he gave in that recently posted interview... i like it better than the girl-friend/spaceship story...

"... and then i realized, 'you know what Damien,You're hoping for something that seems to be against the nature of the flow of life' (...) maybe we're in heaven right now, we just don't realize, you know"

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 01-13-2008 at 04:41 AM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
peterj
eskimo friend

"Maybe we're in heaven right now, we just don't realize"
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

He talks an awfull load of bull**** doesn't he?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
coldwatercannonball
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
post your favourites?

Mine is this one, when talking about Me, My Yoke, & I:

"It's about being completely in conflict with... your sexuality... your sex drive.. and God... and your body, and other people, and their thoughts - thoughts about you and thoughts about them - and your desires, and your desires, and your desires... and your truth."

that's deep
coldwatercannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
verenita
... trusty and true ...

very old... but i just discovered it (at eskimofriend-interview):

"But I also thought if it's the only album I made in the world then at least I'd love it." (about O.)
Old 02-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Kilombo
Mba'e teko pio?

I think the one before Dogs in Cardiff is pretty decent. Does someone know what exactly he says? Here's a rough try:

"...but there was definitely a girl involved. And there were problems involved. So I wrote this (a?) song. Girl -> problems -> song. Story of my f*cking life"

@Nine: I feel you on that one, especially when you bear in mind it's the last words before the last song before end of the tour..
Kilombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
heccubusiv
Melted Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2_Blue
mine is on "Groovin'" when he starts playing the upbeat song he says before singing... " this is the kind of mood i'm in" and everyone laughs
He says this on a live version of childish also
heccubusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

In the show on BBC Four Seasons, in the begining of "I Remember", Lisa is whispering something in Damien's ear, then he's coming back to the microphone and he say: "I know something you don't know" (by the way, I really wanna know what Lisa said to him =) )

Cheers Darlin - at Mountain Winery in Saratoga, Ca.
"It kinda came to midnight and he was like "FU**! we missed our bus!", and she goes, "No, no, no, no, no... I'm not getting the bus." and he was like "huh?, how do we get home?" -"Oh, no, no, I'm not getting home... my boyfriend is picking me up at midnight" "
Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 AM   #12
IgoTastik
Eskimo Friend

while doing this report essay for school ...for which i chose damo as my subject ... i came across some juicy quotes in his interviews...

"I was unhappy, even though I'd gotten all the things that I thought I wanted. It was a bit like seeing this girl in school who's just so hot, and you go to college and she's still there, and then one day you get to kiss her and you start going out with her, and you're just like- I have nothing in common with this girl!

"you're absolutely in control of what's going on in your life -you just might not choose to accept it at the time."
IgoTastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
verenita
... trusty and true ...

(i finally found this thread )

one link took me to another and then to another and i ended up here. it´s a very old interview, but i love what he said, cause i sort of feel the same:
Quote:
"What I really enjoy are people who, when they're singing, it feels like, if they didn't sing they wouldn't be alive," he says. "People who are compelled to do what they do. You can just feel it in their voice, feel it in their words — this type of terrible passion."
i also thought it would be nice to relive this nice thread

Last edited by verenita; 03-21-2011 at 10:27 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

very interesting indeed...

been wondering for a while... once I read a very nice Damo quote about Leonard Cohen... but I cannot remember it... anyone?

also, does anyone have that quote in which he was comparing J.Lo to McDonalds and himself to a vegan restaurant??
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
been wondering for a while... once I read a very nice Damo quote about Leonard Cohen... but I cannot remember it... anyone?
If I were to float off in a balloon and were only allowed to bring the music of one artist, I would chose Leonard Cohen. Very few things in life are this clear to me.
http://damienrice.sandbag.uk.com/Sto...+design+t.html

Quote:
also, does anyone have that quote in which he was comparing J.Lo to McDonalds and himself to a vegan restaurant??
I'm pretty sure it's the Headliners interview, but it's not on youtube
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
verenita
... trusty and true ...

glo, you are fantastic
and you´re also right. he said that quote about j-lo in the headliners interview. how i love that interview-performance
Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #17
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
post your favourites?

."
this is one of his 'rootless tree' analogies. But i love when he tells (and plays) the 3 versions intro of "i remember ". . anyone know where that is, cant find it on youtube but love it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d-qBS87oy4
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #18
verenita
... trusty and true ...

it was back in 2002, at vicar street on his 29th birthday... first, he played the lovely version, cause he was so into this girl, but then, as the girl ***** his balls, he turned it into an angry version. then, he got over that too, so he told the "real" story and lisa started to sing. i think there´s no vid about it, sadly.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

he also tells the I Remember story in an old Rome concert, that one is on youtube for sure...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
glo32
Eskimo Regular

yes, this is the rome one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usV-TvtSMio
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
verenita
... trusty and true ...

oh, yes... thanks glo for the link: "i thought it was ´la mierda´ or whatever"... hehehe. or did he said "merda"? i heard "mierda", but i´m probably wrong lovely though

Last edited by verenita; 03-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
Oh yes, thats the one, Love it, thanks
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #23
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^^la merda, in Italian

but for me, a quote is when he talks about someone (eg Cohen) or something (the McDonalds thing), not when he talks about a song
Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i know la merda is italian but i listen mierda... so, i asked to my sister, who studies italian and has been in italy and she also listens mierda... probably, cause of mother language though

i love plenty of damien quotes, but one of my favourite and most significant is what he said in rome, back 2004, regarding what "life" suppossed to be and how he feels what he's saying.

from 6.30 to 7.30

Last edited by verenita; 03-23-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
glo32
Eskimo Regular

I think Damien doesn't really know Italian, he's way better with Spanish, and everytime he has to speak Italian, a good 80% of what he says is Spanish words :P
Especially in 2003-2004, when he came to Italy a lot of times and tried to speak Italian with the audiences, but he got confused with the words that are similar in Spanish and Italian, like "grazie/gracias" and things like "mierda" :P
Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

you would have thought that working as a farmer in Toscana would help learning some Italian
Old 03-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #27
aski
Eskimo Friend

not exactly my favourite quote, but more in the category funny quotes:

"This is a song about getting up in the morning and falling down the stairs on your way into the kitchen. And going into the kitchen with a really sore ankle. And taking some food out for breakfast and realizing that the yougurt has got fungus on the top. Then you decide, ok, I'll just have some fruit. The fruit's not particularly satisfying, because you're looking for something a bit more comfortable. There's a tin of beans, but you're just not inspired. You go out, to go down to the shops. You had a piece of an apple, but it had been sitting for too long so it wasn't particularly nice. So you get in the car and go down to the shops. You get in the car and on your way to the shops to pick up some stuff, and on your way to the shops you realize you forgot to bring money. You go back to the house, and by the time you get back to the house you're dizzy from being so hungry. You start getting really pissed off. Your mother calls, and its not the conversation you wanted to have right at that moment in time. You decide you're going to stay in and you're not going to eat anything because you're just ****ed off. So you call a friend later on that day and she says "come on over to the house. Just get on the bus, and come on over to the house". So you get on the bus, go to your friends house. She says "what's up with you?" "I don't ****in know, I'm just pissed off" And she's one of these people that it doesn't matter that you cursed at your mother earlier in the day or it doesn't matter if you're a dick, she just accepts you and likes you for who you are. At this point you're looking for anything to give you a bit of solace. And your friend says "hey look, why don't you stay the night here tonight? My bed is by a big massive window, you can just stare out at the stars." And for a moment, the guy in you goes "cool". And she continues talking, in mid sentence you had this thought and she says "yeah I'll stay up by my sister tonight." Anyways, so she tells you to look at the stars and just ask them for a sign, you know, she says "when you're really down, just ask them for a sign". Ever so mildy hippy, this girl. And so I remember lying there and kind of going "ok, goodnight" she closed the door. Waited a few minutes, looked at the stars. Everything went quiet. Spent a bit of time with myself. Felt a little bit better. Then decided to go to plan B, and started looking at the stars and said "Ok stars, give us a sign". And right at that moment where I said "common, just do something" there's a shooting star and I thought, "****...cool!" but then I got cynical straight away. And I looked up and I said "Look, I've seen a ****ing shooting star before, I want you to impress me tonight, I want you to show me something to really believe in". I don't know what happened, but something happened. I don't think I'd been drinking or, you know, under the influence of anything, but something very strange happened and the next day I wrote this song."

from this You Tube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsuPT-9gJsU
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ i love the story behind amie, but i´ve never heard or read the reason why he was so pissed off.

Last edited by verenita; 03-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #29
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

finally found the JLo quote from Headliners!!!!!!!

If you ask me how I relate to J-Lo, you know, very commercial artists… the way I think about it is like… imagine I open a restaurant… or a café and it serves organic food and that’s the style of café that I have… I’m not worried about what McDonald does, you know, all I wanna do is do what I do, music has its place, different genres of music have their place, food has its place, and everybody can choose whatever it is they like, and get out of whatever they wanna get out…
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #30
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

and my absolute favourite quote, which I had completely forgotten about:

I’m still LOST, I’m still confused, I still have no idea what I’m doing in life, I love live and I hate it, I love people and I hate people, I love myself and I hate myself, I’m still in conflict, I’m hopeful… so I’m still a MESS

(again from Headlights which also has the quote about Spain)