Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

View Poll Results: Have you done the deed?
More than Once 20 22.99%
Yes - One occasion 21 24.14%
No 41 47.13%
Wouldn't want to incase it ruined my expectations 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #31
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

I just want to be able to meet the guy and talk to him without sounding like a hyper groupie. Though I doubt it shall ever happen.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #32
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

I took my breakfast last week in castlebar with... the guy who works at the sound board. big guy curly hair and a bear... and talked to the tall tattooed guy who pour ,Damien ,some wine during cheers darlin

otherwise, I had the chance to meet him - Damien - in France for my first concert. Talked in French, asked everyone where we came from, what were our occupations, called lisa for some pictures and some autographs... neat...
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #33
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
I just want to be able to meet the guy and talk to him without sounding like a hyper groupie. Though I doubt it shall ever happen.
unless youre following him to every gig and waiting by the bus every night to talk with him, i dont think he would consider you, or anyone else for that matter, a hyper groupie. i agree though, meeting him in a fortuitous encounter would be a thousand times better!
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 AM   #34
.em.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
I met him twice on the same day First just walking down the street by pure chance, than at the post-show meet'n'greet. At least in the US, if you wait after the show, he always stops and talks to fans, and you can request/ask about songs, ask about future gigs or just get a hug

he give hugs!? <swoon>
I'm crossing my fingers for the Tulsa show....^^
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #35
newscaster rachel
Eskimo Baby

the first time i ever saw what damien looked like was at the first concert i ever went too of his this past may in san diego and hence the first time i met him was as i stood beside him on stage.... and then in a lovely moment waiting to hang with him backstage after the show vyvienne came by and startled me by saying 'your rachel, i was just talking to damien and the band and you made our night' i really couldn't believe that she said that since i was soooo worried i might have bombed the improv., i couldn't hear myself on stage hardly at all and kept thinking 'wow, he keeps saying my name, he has amazing eyes, i think i going to throw up, oh god it's my turn to hit up the mic. with some sounds, here goes'....he was sooo sweet to meet me and my two friends after the show and chat about life, laugh etc...he was very down to earth giving us all hugs before we left....vyvienne was sweet too, she had been giving autographs to her fans after the show right before she ran into me and my friends....in the course of our conversation she commented on how nice the fans were to her when she would meet and greet....after meeting damien and vyvienne i have to say they are hard not to love...worth the wait after a show if you get a chance...
newscaster rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #36
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
I met him twice on the same day First just walking down the street by pure chance, than at the post-show meet'n'greet. At least in the US, if you wait after the show, he always stops and talks to fans, and you can request/ask about songs, ask about future gigs or just get a hug

really? ok then this is my 5th time seeing him this coming wednesday, im gonna wait and meet him for sure, i actully think i'll probably be a little star struck.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #37
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

yes, i have met him one time after the hamburg concert in july.
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 AM   #38
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Default Twice actually

I met Damien, Vyv, and Lisa briefly - walked past each other and exchanged hello/great show/thank you's after the show at the pool hall - years ago when he was in town to support O. I really had no idea what to say I was shocked to see the three people who make the music come alive live in front of me. I just dorked out and ran away.

Last winter after the Orpheum show I met Lisa and Vyv for real this time and actually got to hang with Lisa for a bit. It was such a magical moment for me. Such beautiful women and honestly so humble. Vyv was heard saying "you really want me? my signature?" as in "all this fuss over me?" Lisa came out carrying a large box of goodies for the rest of the crew/band on the bus and while giggling at us had promised to come right back out. Sure enough she did mush to the enjoyment of those who braved the cold for the better part of and hour and a half - December in Boston can be a bit nippy. Before all that I got to meet Glen from The Frames/Swell Season for the second of five times that I have racked up now.

Then just this spring I was waiting with some others from the winter show by the tour bus and finally it paid off as Damien and some of his entourage came round the corner and stopped to talk with us. He explained to those who did not know that he does not sign or pose but will chat for a moment. The newbies were upset as expected and asked "what can we do then?" at that moment I never before wanted to slap someone so badly for being so rude - the ignorant fans not Damien. We talked a bit and said our thanks and he blushed and stammered a bit. When we said our goodbyes we shook hands - no bear hug (I'm 6'1" and 280 so I would most likely crush him) and was amazed how soft his hands were. Soft like my grandmother's hands. He must moisturize.

I will be at the show on Wed. at the Pavilion here in Boston. Look for me outside at/after the show. I am rather to spot - I look like Randy (Earl's brother) or Al Borlin (Home Improvement/Tool Time). See you all there and Happy Stalking!
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #39
newscaster rachel
Eskimo Baby

Smile 2nd meeting at the Greek in LA :)

i love the stories from this thread and hope to hear a few more...well, much to my surprise and joy i was able to swing back stage passes for me and my friend after the LA show and I have to admit it was very different then when i met damien and the gang in san diego in may.... in that the room was full of people unlike the 6 of us that were backstage in san diego...the room was harsh with black walls and a red carpet, felt like an awkward LA party...although i must say that in the midst of the surrealness of the environment damien was his same lovely self that i had met in may, attentive and personal, giving multiple hugs and really listening, i never got the feeling that he was looking around the room trying to get out of talking... both meeting times i felt like he was right there with us in the moment...my friend was really nervous and kept trying to excuse us from talking to him, at one point both damien and i gave her a funny look in response and then went right back to chatting away despite her uncomfortableness, funny... hmmm...what else to say...maybe i'll think of more later....so,perhaps until next time we meet...cio

oh yes, i did ask him if there were any prayers or happy thoughts i could lift up to god for him and he asked that they be for the environment, he seemed pretty concerned and bummed about it...thought you might wanna know that one...just in case you would like to do the same

Last edited by newscaster rachel; 09-28-2007 at 08:37 AM.
newscaster rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #40
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

ok.. the next time u go to a concert.. buy a ticket for me.. and i'm flying down to go with u and go backstage with u! loll.
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #41
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

i met the man himself several times during outings in different pubs and parties..

we talked lot about the settling time of the guinness and how it changed throughout the years..about the GAA..not about music at all if i come to think of it...

but the best part was speaking in different funny Irish accents and just commenting on the people walking by while having a smoke...

i cherish those moments a lot....hope willl get some more in the near future...
Old 10-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #42
ell's
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi
Ive met damien a couple times before and after shows. He was very nice and friendly... he did give a great hug too!
i WANT damien's hug seriously~

.....can i kiss him?
ell's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #43
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell's

.....can i kiss him?
I'm not sure we're authorised to decide that... you might try asking his mammy.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #44
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Quote:

.....can i kiss him?
then he'd have to write another love song about u...... YES!! DO IT! hehe... i wonder what he'd say. :P...
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #45
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Quote:

.....can i kiss him?
Im sure he would allow a peck on the cheek. why not?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #46
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi
Im sure he would allow a peck on the cheek. why not?
When I met him and the band outside the Beacon Theatre in NYC back in May '04, I was fortunate enough to get a hug and kissed him on the cheek.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #47
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

met him early in his career at joes pub in new york in between sets for the public and then his label. cool thing is that hung out so long with damien and lisa that by the time i got back upstairs they had cleared out the public and started serving free drinks for the folks there of rthe label show! what a night!

met him and the band again after their show at hiro (another small club in ny) which kicked off the 9 tour. geez that feels like a lifetime ago.
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #48
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno
When I met him and the band outside the Beacon Theatre in NYC back in May '04, I was fortunate enough to get a hug and kissed him on the cheek.
omg i was there! at the show, not at your hug and kiss
Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #49
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfan
met him and the band again after their show at hiro (another small club in ny) which kicked off the 9 tour. geez that feels like a lifetime ago.
The Hiro gig was amazing... I was in the front row for that show... sigh... it DOES seem like a lifetime ago; hard to believe that it will be a year ago next month....
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #50
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
The Hiro gig was amazing... I was in the front row for that show... sigh... it DOES seem like a lifetime ago; hard to believe that it will be a year ago next month....
i was the one who called out "happy" when he asked for requests in phrasing his ad-lib song.
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #51
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM
I think if I did, I wouldn't really know what to say. On the one hand I would love to meet him, but it really isn't that important. It may ruin the illusion
I'm agree with you, I thought about it like two weeks ago and I got to conclusion that if I'll ever meet with him I wouldn't have any word to say, from the other hand I really want to see him live, at least once, but I don't think that it is going to be in the close future, the way from Israel till Damien's shows is to far for me
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #52
heffaface
Eskimo Regular

yep, at the gig in marlay park i was jus walkin into de pit an who walks in front of me??... damien an fionn regan!! couldn believe it!! went up an said hell an jus shokk his hand etc . so surreal, i felt lik a prick but i jus had to ask for a photo but he said he couldn cuz den everyone would realise wat was goin on! but he was very sound!! but, i did also manage to get a photo wit willy mason wen he came in to the pit!! yay!!!!
heffaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #53
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

From the poll, looks like half of the people have meet him in person (if you combine meet him once + meet him more than once), it's almost fifty fifty!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #54
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffaface
yep, at the gig in marlay park i was jus walkin into de pit an who walks in front of me??... damien an fionn regan!! couldn believe it!! went up an said hell an jus shokk his hand etc . so surreal, i felt lik a prick but i jus had to ask for a photo but he said he couldn cuz den everyone would realise wat was goin on! but he was very sound!! but, i did also manage to get a photo wit willy mason wen he came in to the pit!! yay!!!!
WHAT

more reason why I hate the MCD organisers for not letting me in the pit!!
ahh
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #55
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

I want to change my vote!!!
I met him after the cardiff concert!! It was great!! He was soooo nice!
The whole night was just like a dream that I want to dream over and over!!

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #56
Mitten
Eskimo Friend

I definately wouldn't know what to say, particularly in a "fan" and "star" setting, but...

Quote:
When I met him .. I was fortunate enough to get a hug and kissed him on the cheek.
This sounds like my kind of meet and greet!!
Mitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 AM   #57
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Never met him, never seen him live. Hope he comes to the DC area sometime. He probably has already been here, I've just been out of the loop for awhile!
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote