Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #271
DanielM
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 30
Default

Mario_d... what is your point?
Do you expect us to say: "YEAH **** you damien for saying you'd release something and then nothing shows up"
Because you do remember this is a fan base right?

I think both parties have a point i just only agree with 1.

Yes damien promised a lot and gave only little.
Yes being a damien rice fan basically sucks in 2012.
Yes he does act like he doesn't care about anything and just does what he wants.

I could agree with that.... if damien at ANY point during his career said: "my music is all for the fans i'm doing this for them" but that never happened did it now?

Damien WOULD owe us an album if he made the music for us, but he doesn't since the beginning he said he makes music for himself.. to get it out of his system, to do what he feels he has to.

It just so happens that damien's album blew up, thats fine! that still doesn't mean he owe's you anything. That just happened.

In the end he does this for himself... and if he doesn't feel like he should release anything he doesn't have to.
We/You as a fan have nothing to do with that.
DanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #272
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 691
Default

well said
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #273
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Extremely naive take.

If Damien wrote music for himself, he wouldn't have released 9 without knowing what tracks would be on the album. He made the music on 9 because the rest of the band wanted to get paid, not for himself.

If Damien wrote music for himself, he'd have no need to sign with a record label, sell his albums, charge money to his concerts. He'd have no reason for press releases saying he's making a new album.

I guess my point is: Having written good music a over a decade ago doesn't give him license to act like an asshole for the last seven years.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-06-2012 at 08:55 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 AM
nassau
This message has been deleted by nassau.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Vienna
This message has been deleted by Vienna.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #274
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen
 
Vienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol
Posts: 5,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau View Post
Yes, I agree. He has been a real asshole these past years. Here's a quick list of some of those asshole things that he's done:

Xmas busk - raises funds for the Dublin Simon Community.
Aung San Suu Kyi - active supporter
When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun
Songs for Tibet
Raise Hope for the Congo
Haiti Benefit Gig
Future of Hope - Connoisseur of Great Excuse
500,000 donated to Haiti Benefit Gig
500,000.... let this sink in.....he was a real asshole for this.
Concert in Barichara to raise money and find a water solution for this town.
Nominated for outstanding human rights work.

I'm sure he's done some more asshole things I can't think of but I don't want to over prove this point.

Let him live and take his time, he owes us nothing. If he happens to release a new album its most likely going to be so damn good that it makes us all want to be assholes like this.

Can this thread be deleted or the title be changed to (I hate damien right now but when he releases a new album Ill be so damn happy and I'll forget I said all this) Because I think a lot of people are annoyed by seeing new posts in this thread only to realize its the same stuff being said over and over.

HAHAHAHA yes yes and yes again....this has pretty much pooped all over this whole thread!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #275
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Extremely naive take.

If Damien wrote music for himself, he wouldn't have released 9 without knowing what tracks would be on the album. He made the music on 9 because the rest of the band wanted to get paid, not for himself.

If Damien wrote music for himself, he'd have no need to sign with a record label, sell his albums, charge money to his concerts. He'd have no reason for press releases saying he's making a new album.

I guess my point is: Having written good music a over a decade ago doesn't give him license to act like an asshole for the last seven years.
Can this entire thread be deleted
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #276
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau View Post
Yes, I agree. He has been a real asshole these past years. Here's a quick list of some of those asshole things that he's done:

Xmas busk - raises funds for the Dublin Simon Community. Gets himself publicity by riding the coattails of Bono and Glen Hansard.
Aung San Suu Kyi - active supporter publicizes his personal opinions
When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun Jumped at the opportunity to work with two legends of music? How generous...
Songs for Tibet Contributed a song to an album full of musicians more talented than him to gain notoriety
Raise Hope for the Congo Signed a piece of paper letting them use a song he'd previously recorded

500,000.... let this sink in.....he was a real asshole for this. Donated... bid on a signed U2 guitar... NOT the same thing. He spent half a mil because he wanted a piece of memorabilia.

Im too bored to continue taking Damien off the platform you're built for him. But all his self-aggrandizing "charity" work really isn't worth anything compared to how he treats people on a day to day basis. Thats the true measure of a man.
Here are some asshole things he's done:
Ask fans to mail him their personal momentos for a dvd, not give them back, not even release a dvd with them.
Ran out on his band because he didn't have unilateral control of the group.
Fire Lisa between soundcheck and the show, and then not offer refunds to people who expect to see Lisa for the rest of the tour.
Publicly announce he will no longer sign autographs.
Put his name behind an album he threw together, had no interest in, and didn't care enough to actually finish, instead sending a bunch of masters to the record label and telling them to pick the tracks and the order of tracks, in a blatant, self-described cash grab.
Piss and moan and throw fans out of his shows for texting during the performance.
Refuse to permit taping because it would allegedly cut into his record sales in Ireland.
Alienate his entire band by being a selfish, controlling prick. Remember when Tomo quit because "he didn't want to tour any more and be away from his family" and immediately began touring with Lisa?
Refused to credit his former bandmates when he made millions of dollars on songs they helped write.


But you're right, he threw around a bunch of his money and publicized it and donated some tunes to albums so that people would learn who he is, so he's a great guy! Never mind his total lack of respect for fans and colleagues.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-07-2012 at 03:09 AM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
nassau
This message has been deleted by nassau.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #277
Undocorkscrew
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
500,000.... let this sink in.....he was a real asshole for this. Donated... bid on a signed U2 guitar... NOT the same thing. He spent half a mil because he wanted a piece of memorabilia.
Stretching a bit there, no? Surely he could've gotten U2 to sign a guitar without throwing down half a million......

I can't wait for new material, you planning on listening when that day comes?
Undocorkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Vienna
This message has been deleted by Vienna.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #278
DanielM
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 30
Default

How can you call my comment naive when you're the one saying that you DESERVE an album that he OWE's you that.

You're the one being naive.
Once again: You're right about the fact that he did act like an asshole the past couple of years.

But you can go on an on with facts like: "He was an asshole for firing Lisa and wanting total control over the band" But you probably know just as well as everyone else those arguments are just out of context.

Did he fire her? Yes. But there was a reason for that. It didn't work anymore because of constant arguments between the 2. Most people would make that call.

Also.. you REALLY find it that weird that in a DAMIEN RICE tour damien rice would like to tell his band what to do rather than the other way around? Because to me that seems you know... kind of normal.

Basically most of your arguments are ripped out of context it's like saying: "He punched this guy in the face he is such an asshole" and with that said you wont tell the story before the actual incident.

Please if you really think he is THAT bad of a person please just quit the forum and stop arguing about this on a fan forum full of people who do not and wont ever agree. You're clearly frustrated with him to the point were you wont even consider counter arguments.

Last edited by DanielM; 05-07-2012 at 11:55 AM.
DanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #279
cille
creepycute
 
cille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 15,333
Default

Oh, p00p... I resubscribed to this thread.... arrghh

__________________
Yeah
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #280
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen
 
Vienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol
Posts: 5,626
Default

teehee
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #281
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
How can you call my comment naive when you're the one saying that you DESERVE an album that he OWE's you that.
He owes it only because he promised it, multiple times, in press releases. Or, alternatively, he owes a press release rescinding the previous releases. By issuing press releases saying there's a new album, he owes something more than complaining that people keep asking about his album.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
But you can go on an on with facts like: "He was an asshole for firing Lisa and wanting total control over the band"
Two separate facts. Lisa is fact one. The complete control of the band refers to walking out on Juniper with no notice, not Damien Rice. He's always had complete control of the band with his name.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-07-2012 at 01:17 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #282
DanielM
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 30
Default

Yes and that is the part where i kind off see what you're getting at. He did say stuff that just didn't happen and that sucks.

But even then your reaction of immediately calling him a asshole is just to much. You might think you know everything about his reasoning because you spoke with him a few times but the matter of the fact is. NONE of us knows what's going on with him. Why even though he said he would he didn't release.

The so called facts about him you so proudly keep blasting at anyone that disagrees with you are no more than little bits and pieces of information where nobody can be sure about.

Yes but the majority of the facts you gave were either false of out of context.
The lisa thing is not a result of his behaviour it's a combination of them both.
The band thing, well even if you mean Juniper it's still not true nor is it all on him. Sure he walked out...but it's not like nobody saw that coming nor is it because he wanted full control over the band. He wanted full musical freedom FOR the band.
DanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #283
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

They are facts. There is no question, or lack of context that Damien fired Lisa and didn't offer refunds. There's no lack of context that Tomo quit the band and immediately began touring with Lisa. There's no lack of context on pretty much everything I said, except for the context people want to wish for.

The rest of Juniper had no problem with their record contract and carried on without Damien, so he wasn't speaking for them, just himself.

There is absolutely no other context to the fact that BellX1 credits Damien for songs written as Juniper, and Damien refuses to credit BellX1 for songs he released that were written as Juniper.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #284
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau View Post
this thread will now be used for what it is titled as:

New Album Spring 2012
Yes. So we'll keep the conversation limited to the fact that flyers announcing a New Album in the Spring 2012 were handed out at a Damien Rice show, and that Damien's people denied there's a Spring album. And that Spring is just about over and there's no album. And why it is that Damien continues to announce albums that don't come into existence.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #285
DanielM
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 30
Default

Now you're just getting my comments wrong.

I'm not saying the facts themselves are untrue. But as i said you keep mentioning those facts like "this happened and that's why he is an asshole" while it's commonly known that there are 2 sides to every story.

He fired lisa yes. no refunds but this is arguable if this is the right or wrong decision because in the end... it's a DAMIEN RICE tour.. not a DAMIEN RICE AND LISA HANNIGAN tour.

Yes the rest of juniper accepted the termes the producers gave them. Damien just didn't so why is he an asshole for leaving? Those are just different opinions so he left.

What i ment with "you're taking the facts out of context" is that you always only tell 1 small part of a WAY bigger story. So in that way. You're still taking a lot of facts out of context.

Once again you're just calling out tips of ice bergs that are just WAY WAY WAY bigger than just the small tip.
DanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #286
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
Now you're just getting my comments wrong.

I'm not saying the facts themselves are untrue. But as i said you keep mentioning those facts like "this happened and that's why he is an asshole" while it's commonly known that there are 2 sides to every story.

He fired lisa yes. no refunds but this is arguable if this is the right or wrong decision because in the end... it's a DAMIEN RICE tour.. not a DAMIEN RICE AND LISA HANNIGAN tour.

Yes the rest of juniper accepted the termes the producers gave them. Damien just didn't so why is he an asshole for leaving? Those are just different opinions so he left.

What i ment with "you're taking the facts out of context" is that you always only tell 1 small part of a WAY bigger story. So in that way. You're still taking a lot of facts out of context.

Once again you're just calling out tips of ice bergs that are just WAY WAY WAY bigger than just the small tip.
What is the part of the story I'm missing?

Damien has publically said he was 100% at fault for the Lisa thing.

Damien signed a contract with a record label and then took off because he didn't like the decisions the rest of his band made. If they weren't going to do things his way, he wasn't going to do anything with them. And later he refused to give them the credit they were due for the work they did on songs he profited from.

What am I missing?
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #287
DanielM
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 30
Default

He also said they were constantly fighting, she didn't show up at band meetings and their relationship was generally not good in the later years.

He just made a call basically 95% of the people would.

Once again that is true, he signed with a record label. But he didn't take of because the band made decisions he didn't make... he took off because of the producers asking him to change his songs and make them more "radio friendly". He said multiple times that because the label and producers asked him to change so much he didn't feel comfortable IN the band. Not because of the other band members.

Those are just some things you're missing.
DanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #288
Rai
Eskimontologist
 
Rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Robo-Hungarian Empire
Posts: 2,345
Default

More radio-friendly than J-Plane? Go figure, gee, evil, evil label!
__________________
"There's, another example. See, here I'm now sitting by myself, uh, er, talking to myself. That's, that's chaos."

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #289
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
He also said they were constantly fighting, she didn't show up at band meetings and their relationship was generally not good in the later years.

He just made a call basically 95% of the people would.

Once again that is true, he signed with a record label. But he didn't take of because the band made decisions he didn't make... he took off because of the producers asking him to change his songs and make them more "radio friendly". He said multiple times that because the label and producers asked him to change so much he didn't feel comfortable IN the band. Not because of the other band members.

Those are just some things you're missing.
There is nothing professional or respectful about firing a band member between soundcheck and the performance. If it was the right thing to do or not, it was done the wrong way.

The other band members went on to do what the producer suggested they do. And they made good music and have been successful. Damien was the only one who didn't want to do it. The rest of the band outvoted him that they do it, so he quit rather than be a team player.

And none of your post addresses the fact that he refuses to credit BellX1 for work they did.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #290
DanielM
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 30
Default

No there is nothing professional about it nor was it the smartest decision he could've made. But in the end he is just a person and sometimes he also makes a dumb decision. Also don't forget they were a couple so the argument went waaaay waaay deeper than just purely the professional level you're speaking in.

He quit because the band followed the producers advice and made music the way the producer liked it (a commercial way). As i touched on this before Damien has been very clear about the fact that he only writes his music for him hence the reason why he could not follow his band members in their agreement with the producers. Which if you look at the situation was a perfectly natural thing to do. If you're in a group/band and they go a direction you don't feel comfortable following in you shouldn't. It has nothing to do with team play.

Yes because personally i am not familiarly with the facts of this claim. Either way i don't see the importance of it anyway. So he didn't credit them... so what?
DanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #291
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
No there is nothing professional about it nor was it the smartest decision he could've made. But in the end he is just a person and sometimes he also makes a dumb decision. Also don't forget they were a couple so the argument went waaaay waaay deeper than just purely the professional level you're speaking in.
Stop excusing the fact that he did something extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. Its what he did, end of sentence. There's no "he was an asshole but!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
He quit because the band followed the producers advice and made music the way the producer liked it (a commercial way). As i touched on this before Damien has been very clear about the fact that he only writes his music for him hence the reason why he could not follow his band members in their agreement with the producers. Which if you look at the situation was a perfectly natural thing to do. If you're in a group/band and they go a direction you don't feel comfortable following in you shouldn't. It has nothing to do with team play.
No, thats what a contract is. You promise to do something and are obligated to do so. If he wanted to be able to run away whenever he wanted, he should've left the band before he signed a contract.

And, no, when you are a part of a group, you have to go with the group as a whole. A well-balanced individual sacrifices his personal opinions and is a team player. He doesn't take his ball and go home.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
Yes because personally i am not familiarly with the facts of this claim. Either way i don't see the importance of it anyway. So he didn't credit them... so what?
The facts are the facts. There are songs Juniper wrote and when BellX1 puts them on an album, they give him songwriter credit (Tongue, Volcano). When Damien uses them for an album, he doesn't include them. Its disrespectful, it costs them money, and its one of the scummiest things a musician can do.

These are the ASCAP filings:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?..._pp=25&start=1

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?..._pp=25&start=1


Here's a full list of ASCAP filings Damien is listed on. You'll see everytime BellX1 played a song from Juniper, they credited Damien along with them. You'll also see that Damien has filed those songs and listed himself as the sole songwriter.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #292
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
No there is nothing professional about it nor was it the smartest decision he could've made. But in the end he is just a person and sometimes he also makes a dumb decision. Also don't forget they were a couple so the argument went waaaay waaay deeper than just purely the professional level you're speaking in.

He quit because the band followed the producers advice and made music the way the producer liked it (a commercial way). As i touched on this before Damien has been very clear about the fact that he only writes his music for him hence the reason why he could not follow his band members in their agreement with the producers. Which if you look at the situation was a perfectly natural thing to do. If you're in a group/band and they go a direction you don't feel comfortable following in you shouldn't. It has nothing to do with team play.

Yes because personally i am not familiarly with the facts of this claim. Either way i don't see the importance of it anyway. So he didn't credit them... so what?
It pays to stop biting at Mario_d's crap. The dude is trolling plain and simple; no normal person could understand so little of how humans function. He shows very little comprehension that people make mistakes and cannot understand the difference between personal day to day issues that a musician experiences and the responsibilities of a corporation. I gave up on reasoning with him a long way back because it's extremely clear that the guy gets off on saying the same points over and over again and seems to think that comments taken from interviews, conversations etc. are facts and that facts are facts are facts; any well balanced person realises this is obviously not true and there is 2 sides to every story. He seems to have some deep obsession and probably best to just leave the dude to rant by himself.
T-Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #293
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 691
Default

hey mario - would you go see him live if he played say within a three mile drive of where you live?

you are really getting tiresome and give me a break

the dude is an artist and the art is damien rice - sure it is unfortunate the way it all happened but he has every right to do what he wants - period

artists by definition are quirky odd unusual eccentric etc etc etc - if they don't conform to your notion of obligation and trust then it is your problem - I would certainly imagine damo could care less about your opinions

ford insisted the troops head to nashville in one day from dc simply because he had this notion of getting there and hanging out with ingrid michaelson.............so a tired manager and a completely hungover drummer who was puking (we tore it UP last night lol!!) were forced into a mad dash 12 hour drive just to satisfy his whim.............was he a bit prickish about it - possibly - is it a ludicrous idea - absolutely.....................but then again it is ford it is his tour and he do can whatever the hell he wants

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 05-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #294
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lloyd View Post
It pays to stop biting at Mario_d's crap. The dude is trolling plain and simple; no normal person could understand so little of how humans function. He shows very little comprehension that people make mistakes and cannot understand the difference between personal day to day issues that a musician experiences and the responsibilities of a corporation. I gave up on reasoning with him a long way back because it's extremely clear that the guy gets off on saying the same points over and over again and seems to think that comments taken from interviews, conversations etc. are facts and that facts are facts are facts; any well balanced person realises this is obviously not true and there is 2 sides to every story. He seems to have some deep obsession and probably best to just leave the dude to rant by himself.
lol
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #295
Lin@
Eskimo Regular
 
Lin@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
he refuses to credit BellX1 for work they did.
How do you know what work they actually did for "Volcano"? I'm pretty confident that Damien doesn't credit them simply BECAUSE HE WROTE THE SONG BY HIMSELF. But that's obviously only because I put him on a pedestal.
__________________
"Most nights I stay up late, get drunk and wrap myself in the Canadian flag."
(Justin Vernon, summing up my life)
Lin@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #296
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin@ View Post
How do you know what work they actually did for "Volcano"? I'm pretty confident that Damien doesn't credit them simply BECAUSE HE WROTE THE SONG BY HIMSELF. But that's obviously only because I put him on a pedestal.

^um, yer right....lets see mario, "DEC 3, 1997, a song called Volcano" , here it is....now WHO WROTE VOLCANO???? y would Damien credit them, cuz they were in a band after damien wrote it and recorded it together? now I wonder if Bell X1 stole it from him, as they dont perform it live anymore , must be a reason, it wasnt written by them,,,and I remember in an nterview with Nic Harcut that they kinda agreed to share some songs, but dont remember the wording


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcfIdTjSIk&feature=fvst
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #297
faninor
Eskimo Friend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
But you're right, he threw around a bunch of his money and publicized it and donated some tunes to albums so that people would learn who he is, so he's a great guy!
Is that how it works? I've never wanted to support a cause, gone looking for a compilation album, bought it, and then discovered it had interesting artists featured on it. I suppose artists could contribute simply for the publicity, but more often I think they want to raise awareness or support a cause. Are you just assuming the worst or do you have a better reason for thinking this is not the case with Damien?

It seems odd to complain about the unfinished album(s) that he hasn't followed through on in one way or the other, and in the next complain about the respectable number of tracks he's released on compilation records in the meantime? Do you like the music he has written/released in the past several years? Do you want to hear a new album at all, or would you be just as satisfied if he tied up all the loose ends by announcing that he was retiring from the business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
Yes because personally i am not familiarly with the facts of this claim. Either way i don't see the importance of it anyway. So he didn't credit them... so what?
Music credits are important, because the writers should be paid royalties. I don't know all of the facts. Was there some big dispute that I just never knew about?

Are there any indications that members of BellX1 were upset with how Damien credited his versions?

Who contributed significantly to writing the songs? How do we know which set of credits are really more accurate? Just because they were in a band, and recorded or played these songs together doesn't mean they were all significantly involved in writing every song -- didn't Lisa perform Splishy Splashy during a Damien Rice concert before she launched her own solo career? She's the only one credited as a writer (probably because she wrote it).

Could there be some agreement between Damien and BellX1 that we don't know about? If one party or the other had a problem with how it was done, I would expect that either they would not have been released or else there would have been lawsuits to modify the credits and sort things out.

I can't judge Damien's character based on song credits filed with his publisher, and if the members of BellX1 couldn't be bothered to say or do something, why should we care?
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #298
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting
 
SisterMidnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Is this heaven?
Posts: 5,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
I guess my point is: Having written good music a over a decade ago doesn't give him license to act like an asshole for the last seven years.
Since when does anybody need a license to act like an asshole?
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #299
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lloyd View Post
It pays to stop biting at Mario_d's crap. The dude is trolling plain and simple; no normal person could understand so little of how humans function. He shows very little comprehension that people make mistakes and cannot understand the difference between personal day to day issues that a musician experiences and the responsibilities of a corporation. I gave up on reasoning with him a long way back because it's extremely clear that the guy gets off on saying the same points over and over again and seems to think that comments taken from interviews, conversations etc. are facts and that facts are facts are facts; any well balanced person realises this is obviously not true and there is 2 sides to every story. He seems to have some deep obsession and probably best to just leave the dude to rant by himself.

Wheels, this is a personal attack that should be deleted.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #300
mario_d
Eskimo Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
hey mario - would you go see him live if he played say within a three mile drive of where you live?
I have seen Damien Rice perform more times than anyone on this board.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content copyright EskimoFriends.com 2002-today. Special thanks to Damien, Lisa, Tomo, Shane & Vyvienne.