Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Default Can we just talk about...

how amazing these two photos are?

This is basically my new favorite thing.

from this set
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

you all know the Happy Tour is coming!!!!!!! aka The Maracas Tour
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Woah. He's cleaned himself up pretty seriously, eh? This kind of thing makes me start to believe he really is preparing to release the next record by the end of the year.

Also, the fact that my two favorite artists would both be in Cannes this month (Damo and Gary Oldman) a few days apart and right around my b-day in is my new favorite thing even though i'm not there. The lifelong dream of meeting G.O. in person and sharing with him how he's inspired me as a fellow actor just happened a few months ago. I can die happy now.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

mario??!!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
Woah. He's cleaned himself up pretty seriously, eh? This kind of thing makes me start to believe he really is preparing to release the next record by the end of the year.
You know, I really kept talking myself out of that - first the show in Korea, the website redux, the tour stops in Italy etc... I didn't really want to get myself excited that a new album would happen, but after this event? Seeing him all cleaned up and not-depressing and everything?

Guess I need to start seriously contributing to my Damien Tickets Fund, just in case.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I'm sure that when Sean Penn invited Damien to this charity event, he asked him to drop the Lost/Robinson Crusoe look _p Armani was sponsoring
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I'm sure that when Sean Penn invited Damien to this charity event, he asked him to drop the Lost/Robinson Crusoe look _p Armani was sponsoring
Ha! Fair point. He did show up to that one earlier this year though looking pretty homeless-y while everyone else was in formal dress.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

As it looks like the maracas were given as party favors, I'd like to point out that there are probably three super famous celebrities out there missing theirs.

I too am glad he's looking more put together, I think this is the first time I've seen Damien in a suit.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
glo32
Eskimo Regular

he was in a suit for Leonard Cohen's induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, but this was way more elegant...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

That first maraca pic is priceless

Didn't he just wear a jacket for the Cohen induction? I know I've never seen him wear a tie, except for that movie clip where he played a detective or social worker or something. Anyway he's been to many elegant events (Nobel Peace Prize concert, Tibet house, etc.) and never dressed up before, even though everyone else was.

Haha never thought I'd see the day when Damien sported an Armani suit! I think he's quite dashing, and he looks like he's having fun.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

classic eskimo

sorry but i find this total hypocrisy.....hence my mario comment

you people all think the boy can do no wrong..........let him be the hippie and dismiss all that the "machine" of the music business turns against "true" art??? to hang out for what is his "real" meaning and calling...........to turn his album when he is ready? that maybe these cool gigs in italy mean something more than 15 days to bull ****?

yet when it comes down to pandering to the higher more obnoxious elements of the business he can show up clean cut and in an aramani suit (glo are you REALLY serious??!!!!!) and we think this is great???!! to juggle frickin maracas like a monkey with a foolish grin on his face thinking he is part of the scene??!!

while i can appreciate spamlet's desire to make it as an actor for me cannes like sundance like hollywood all wreak of fake bs and I for one would want nothing to do with it - in levis gucci or aramni............wow I am still really in shock

BULL****!

He is so frickin confused in my mind it isn't even funny - he has NO clue what he wants to be and that stupid photo only goes to tell me there is nothing on the table ............ just him smoking dope up and down the coast to put a couple bucks in his pocket

sure hope you all can tell me I am a jerk................but my initial reaction to those photos was to puke

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 05-23-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

and marti i cannot think of a bigger prick than sean penn................jaysus people
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

David,

Go look in your mirror.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

haha I am fine save the wrinkles...........

I am very happy with my space in this world and feel I don't have many false pretenses

This aspect of Damo has always bugged me - whether with the hollywood set or in cannes I find it incredibly hypocritical........that is simply one man's opinion

carry on with the love fest - sorry to intrude

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 05-23-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

lastly - sorry - I would highly recommend the ten minutes to read the interview I just posted on the Ford thread in other

http://goodbyebabylon.com/wordpress2...ew-david-ford/

he is a musician who understands who he is and yet isn't afraid to admit mistakes - someone who is totally true to the art and understands the business

in fact damo should go spend some time with ford - would do him a world of good

happy to make it happen from ford's end
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
haha I am fine save the wrinkles...........

I am very happy with my space in this world and feel I don't have many false pretenses

This aspect of Damo has always bugged me - whether with the hollywood set or in cannes I find it incredibly hypocritical........that is simply one man's opinion

carry on with the love fest - sorry to intrude

why so much Damien Hate.....OK so it's been 6 yrs since his last record..he mixed business w pleasure w Lisa and it didnt work (does it ever?)..but enough already lol...I like his music and what he does in his personal life seems fine to me... he's not curing cancer but he's not a serial rapist either
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

lol was up mr elephant man??!!

maybe I was a little fired up................but I don't view this as his personal life which is why I am making the point

not hate........solely disappoinment really

and yes I would go a bit further and say I love his music.............if I didn't I wouldn't even bother
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
Rai
Eskimontologist

I feel to be somewhat on the side of David. I mean, if he wants to hippy out and live apart from the establishment, releasing records at his own pace and licking toads, but it doesn't really add up if he keeps him popping up at events like the single most pretentious establishment event on the face of the planet all dressed and tidied up, playing the "drunken weirdo uncle at a wedding".

You wouldn't see Rónán Ó Snodaigh in Cannes.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

With all due respect, I think the photos are pretty awesome and hilarious regardless of the intent.

Nevermind the fact that nobody's seen or heard from Damo since his Korea show in January, so it's really not that far fetched that maybe he just decided to clean up for whatever reason. It's not like we haven't seen him tidied up before (although, yeah, the suit does look like a first)

Also this:

Quote:
As it looks like the maracas were given as party favors, I'd like to point out that there are probably three super famous celebrities out there missing theirs.
Totally cracked me up.

Damien Rice: Miracca Thief.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I feel to be somewhat on the side of David. I mean, if he wants to hippy out and live apart from the establishment, releasing records at his own pace and licking toads, but it doesn't really add up if he keeps him popping up at events like the single most pretentious establishment event on the face of the planet all dressed and tidied up, playing the "drunken weirdo uncle at a wedding".

You wouldn't see Rónán Ó Snodaigh in Cannes.
lol

and thanks

and with all due respect I don't find them funny in the least
Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #21
faninor
Eskimo Friend

He shows up at a benefit supporting the same organization he's previously supported. This one is presented by Armani and he puts on a suit and tie. This is an outrage? So ****ing what?
faninor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #22
Rai
Eskimontologist

There is no outrage, only a disconnect

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
davidcotyalex
This message has been deleted by davidcotyalex. Reason: cuz
Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

The only disconnect is from people who inexplicably expect any great artist to remain the same from year to year. Picasso had a "blue period" where all he painted for years was sad and gloomy works using very dark colors. He also had a "rose period" where all his stuff was cheerier. Apparently you guys would label him a sellout for changing styles. You'd cry foul at Dylan for going electric under these standards. The rest of us would applaud because the searching, restless pursuit of new ideas and the expression of them is what being a creative professional is all about.

Since he's also a human being he's therefore entitled to enjoy himself and celebrate without that being a contradiction no matter how given he might otherwise be to depression. Damo loves music and other cultures so the maracas make total sense. He loves being able to make a difference in the world so why shouldn't being part of that make him happy?

Damien Rice has always been passionate about helping those in need. Many Hollywood/ celebrity folks are also some of the richest and most influential in terms of raising money, awareness and additional participation for charities so those are the folks you need to be aligned with if you want to effect real changes to those in need (just ask Bono). It's not a stretch to imagine they probably had a dress code, being an Armani event. I see nothing out of character about choosing to be a participant about any of this.

BTW, Sean Penn is one of the few people that whether you agree with his politics or not only a fool would call a phony. He didn't just talk about helping Haitians he moved down to Haiti and started to rebuild houses with his own two hands. I'd say that's a pretty damned admirable quality.

So yeah, I'm gonna stand by the mirror thing, David possibly Ford plugging your own crap here under a poor alias, if you haven't done anything in your life half as noble as that.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I stick with what I said........and agree with rai on the disconnect

we all know he is charitable and that obviously is an admirable trait...........seems to me his draw into these circles goes beyond that

[DELETED]

but just so you are clear this is a pic from the house b-day gig from two weeks ago..........will let you confirm the "authenticity" with marti kat or any other who has known me through the years

that would be me with the stupid grin in the middle........ford is ford and on the far right is tim bradshaw who is david gray's keyboardist...........coty is coty who is to my right.............would you also like a pic of alex??!

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 05-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

oh and I never said sean penn is phony I said he is a prick - which I also still stand by
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #26
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

family ford from last year...................yeah this is some big plot lmfao

now you have alex........one little happy family

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 05-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
Rai
Eskimontologist

Wait, I don't remember labeling anyone anything. I just raised an eyebrow over an artist who prides himself as being anti-establishment suddenly rolling around in the hay with the most despicable part of the establishment (the Cannes crowd).

I also fail to see when was there any talk about Damien searching for new means of artistic expression, or when did I reject the notion. As far as I remember, he's still playing Blower's Daughter at the gigs he plays, sometimes even with a quiet, long-haired and attractive female who stays conveniently in the background.

And as far as Hollywood charity goes, call me unenthusiastic. Let's look at Bono. When he's not busy heckling African activists at TED conferences and avoiding to pay taxes in his home country that is at the moment going down the drain, he spends much of his charity work either by promoting worthless, but cool-sounding ideas (computers to everyone in Africa) or collecting money that will be poured into the bottomless pit that is corrupt African governance. Meanwhile, he's unwittingly projecting the image that those poor, backwards black people can't do nothing on their own, they need the helping hands of the benevolent, rich white folks.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #28
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

I guess at the end of the day, sometimes a person can try to maintain that they are the moody and depressed artist and decline events where famous people will also be; but sometimes if a friend (in this case Sean Penn) invites you and you constantly say no for no other reason than it is a pretentious event; it can sometimes come across more like you are an a**hole than if you had just agreed to go along and try to have fun. Like all of us; we occasionally go to things we don't want to go to (my wife drags me to all kinds of events that I am not pleased about attending); but we do it anyway for various different reasons. If my wife dragged me along in a suit and tie to attend a classical music performace at the opera house and some of the local politicians attended also; and some of my punk rocker mates saw a picture of me at the event; they would not insult me for being part of a scene that I don't identify myself with because they like most other humans are aware that sometimes we do things that do not resonate with us as individuals, but we do them anyway for reasons outside of satisfying our own pleasures.

I find these photos completely un-funny; but have no angst for Damien for attending an event like this....why would I? He's just a musician/artist who happens to write brilliant songs and also do a lot for charity....but who cares if he attends the odd pretentious event every now and then? He is after all human. No point getting angry about it eh.
T-Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

David & Spam, any more trying to provoke people and I will ban. I don't care if you feel it is justified. Personal spats do not belong on a general board. Period.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

cripes, all this over a couple of silly pictures. why such strong opinions about how someone else should spend their time?! you don't know them personally, what on earth has it got to do with you?

*crosses fingers for a new album soon, so eskimos have something else to talk about instead of ripping Damien to shreds*

ps. GO Wheels!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote