Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #61
Brandinian
Toffee Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
Ah, I love Mic... and when Glen sings Mic songs! I wish they were doing it here in NY.
I completely agree. I live in NYC, but I lived for half a year in Cork last year so I unfortunately juuust missed it. I wish so much that I could go to this concert but the travel to Ireland is too dang expensive.

Mic's music is absolutely incredible. I didn't know who he was until about four years ago when I started getting in Glen's music. I've been a fan of Damien since "O" came out, but I never payed much mind to who it was dedicated to. I learned of Mic's stuff through having discovered Glen and his music. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and always saw him busking with this skinny guy wearing an Elvis belt buckle.

I bought Skylarkin', and it's become honestly one of my favorite albums of all times. It's a masterpiece. He had so much potential and if he'd lived, I think he may have even been more successful than either Glen or Damien. When I went back and saw that O was dedicated to Mic, I was surprised. I was also surprised when I saw Lisa had dedicated a song to him as well on her album. It seemed like the friendship that he and Glen shared was amazing. I have a friend that I play music with all the time just as those two did, and he's my best friend. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for Glen losing Mic. I'm so happy that they're keeping his spirit alive through his music. I'm so glad that they'll ensure he's not forgotten. When I was in Dublin, Glen played Heyday with Damien, Paddy Casey, Mundy, Natalie Merchant, Paul Brady, and a sea of Irishmen drunkenly singing every word at the top of their lungs. It was incredible.

I talked to Glen and thanked him because his music led me to Mic's. He told me how happy it made him to hear that. I hope they rock Dublin at this concert and bring Mic back for one night. We'll have to pray for YouTube videos or a recording of the show because it's bound to be legendary.

Rave on, Mic Christopher.
Brandinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #62
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinian View Post
I completely agree. I live in NYC, but I lived for half a year in Cork last year so I unfortunately juuust missed it. I wish so much that I could go to this concert but the travel to Ireland is too dang expensive.

Mic's music is absolutely incredible. I didn't know who he was until about four years ago when I started getting in Glen's music. I've been a fan of Damien since "O" came out, but I never payed much mind to who it was dedicated to. I learned of Mic's stuff through having discovered Glen and his music. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and always saw him busking with this skinny guy wearing an Elvis belt buckle.

I bought Skylarkin', and it's become honestly one of my favorite albums of all times. It's a masterpiece. He had so much potential and if he'd lived, I think he may have even been more successful than either Glen or Damien. When I went back and saw that O was dedicated to Mic, I was surprised. I was also surprised when I saw Lisa had dedicated a song to him as well on her album. It seemed like the friendship that he and Glen shared was amazing. I have a friend that I play music with all the time just as those two did, and he's my best friend. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for Glen losing Mic. I'm so happy that they're keeping his spirit alive through his music. I'm so glad that they'll ensure he's not forgotten. When I was in Dublin, Glen played Heyday with Damien, Paddy Casey, Mundy, Natalie Merchant, Paul Brady, and a sea of Irishmen drunkenly singing every word at the top of their lungs. It was incredible.

I talked to Glen and thanked him because his music led me to Mic's. He told me how happy it made him to hear that. I hope they rock Dublin at this concert and bring Mic back for one night. We'll have to pray for YouTube videos or a recording of the show because it's bound to be legendary.

Rave on, Mic Christopher.
Yes, I expect lots of youtube videos!
Glen also led me to Mic - and I looove those busking videos.
My sister and I have talked a quite a few times about imagining Mic alive. I absolutely believe he would be just as successful as the rest of them.
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #63
fishwife
Eskimo Friend

Default ten years ago... :(

fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #64
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

^...and...right on cue, Damien is standing with Lisa on that bridge. Such great vestiges of some of Mic's last moments. Looks like I'll have to re-watch the Leargas Tribute also.
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #65
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

What's Damien's obsession with the Grease soundtrack? lol
Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #66
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

I feel like such a terrible Damien fan, but I'm actually not all that familiar with Mic or his music. Can anyone give me the abridged version of who he was or suggest some songs to check out? I tend to love pretty much anyone Glen and Damien are involved with, and it feels like a shame to not know much about someone who seems to have meant a lot to them.

Love the video, also!
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #67
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

Mic was Glen's best friend and I think one of the best ways to learn about him would be through what Glen said when he died...
I'll dig it up.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #68
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

Here it is. I cried the first time I read this.

--
Troubadour Mic Christopher died last week (December '01) in the AZG Hospital, Groningen. My best friend ... Three weeks ago tonight, he fell over and banged his head. It was as simple as that. In the past days, his family, friends and I have been through every single emotion. Panic gives way to sadness, gives way to anger, gives way to determination ... to hope... and back again. There were days when it looked like he was pulling through and others when it seemed hopeless. He has fought very hard in his silence to demonstrate the fighter, the lover of life that we knew so well, but for some unattainable reason, he didn't come back this time. "We are like flies on the roof of the Sistine Chapel, we have no idea of the angels and beauty that lay beneath our feet". Only through the distance that accompanies time, will we begin to see the patterns and reasons why things are as they are today. Suddenly everything is precious: the last time we spoke, the text message still on my phone ("Where's me mate?"), the photographs, the shared lyrics, the borrowed clothes, the plectrum in my pocket ... But much more than that.... much more.... the knowing that flowed between two friends, the understandings, the shared goals, the arguments and the resolve.

I've known Mic since I was fifteen. I'd been busking on Grafton St. for about a year and was beginning to become comfortable with the idea of becoming a street musician. The money was pretty spare but that was never why we did it. While busking one Saturday, I met this lad about my own age with a guitar. He was pretty cool and I was quite intimidated. He watched me for a while before coming to say hello. The next week we busked together for the first time. We were mates straight off. That was the year that changed our lives - 1985. I had come from living and attending school in Ballymun, moving in small circles of friends, that all lived on the same block as me to this... My new best friend from Clondalkin ("Where the **** is that?). Our guardian and guru, Pete Short, who then sold "In Dublin", outside Bewleys, he was from Leeds and went to school with Brian Jones! Tom McGinty, (the Diceman), Patrick Healy, Kila, a bunch of kids from the southside who played amazing traditional music, Mark Dignam, our closest partner from Finglas, poetry readings, the Coffee Inn, Mannix Flynn, Pablo - suddenly our world was much bigger and full of a huge variety of characters.

We grew fast and absorbed the beauty of these unravelling circles all around us, not to mention the Krishna's, the Born-Again's, the mystics and witches. Our common sense and friendship were the buffer to their magnetism. So of course we moved in together. We rented a tiny two room in Harcourt St. above the Harcourt Hotel. The front door had no lock and everyday, all day, people moved through our place: leaving instruments off or just killing time. Tea, Songs, spliffs, songs, sleep, songs, golden days when romance was everything. Two kings stalling into town, giants, wide eyed and willing. We lived there for two years or so. Often, after a Saturday's busking, there could be up to fifty people, all up our stairs in our flat, playing songs, smoking, crashing out, and often myself and Mic would give each other the nod and quietly slip out, leaving the madness to go stay at a friend's house or sit in the Manhattan until the crowd dissipated. There are still four micro dots hidden in that flat somewhere, ( never hide it when your on it ) Mic fell in love with Sharon, a girl from Dundalk and told me he was going to live in London for a while. So we left the flat late one night to avoid outstanding rent. He jumped on a boat and I went my ma's.

I visited him on and off over the next year or so. In Mic's absence, the Frames was born and the big record deal, the Commitments etc. Things were good for me, but I was missing my mate. In a way this was good for us both. We needed to find our own way, apart, so that when we got together again, it would be even better than before. There was a tendency with us both to co-depend. When we were together, we wanted nothing but the moment and it was healthy to be apart for a while to address our own ambitions. When Mic finally returned to Dublin, things had moved on. I was making my first album, the singer in my own band and Mic had also been through so much. He'd been working as a chef in the Krishna temple in London and was a lay devotee. His heart had been broken and he needed to be home. All his songs addressed spiritual questions, set in Hindu beliefs. We had so much to talk about, so much to catch up on. Shortly after returning, Mic formed the Mary Janes, with old friend Karl Odlum and Simon Goode. This was an electric time for Mic. He was back in Dublin, doing his thing. We were mates again, although it wasn't the same as before. We were now in different bands and though we both agreed it was a good thing, we secretly planned to play together again (and we knew we would). The Mary Janes were going for it, as were the Frames. Both bands crossed paths and played on the same stages a hundred times or more; either us supporting them or them supporting us, it didn't matter.

This was the time I saw Mic least. With both bands playing all the time, we rarely got together, except for the odd chat or walk in Howth. Mic had always wanted to work with kids and when the Mary Janes had the opportunity to go to Bosnia during the troubles to work with WarChild, Mic got very excited. They spent about two months out there, in which time Mic worked along with other aid workers in the children's unit, doing Art Therapy. This was a joy to him and he was very sad to leave his little friends. When he returned, he was full of amazing stories and his heart was full of love for the kids he had worked with. I think he secretly longed to go back.

(cont.)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #69
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

(last part)

Some time passed.... We'd both been though the mill; the major labels hiring and firing. We'd made a few albums each and the struggle to fill gigs, to make it make sense and to carry on was getting harder. " The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side" (Hunter S. Thompson) . The Frames had managed somehow to sustain a healthy audience and were beginning to think more independently, striking out on our own and getting more comfortable with it and although the Mary Janes had been thinking this way for a long time already, the constant battling and highs and lows of D.I.Y eventually got to Mic and he called it a day in 1999. At this time, Mic also split with tish, his girlfriend of eight years. So Mic was heartbroken again; no band and no trust in the music industry. He was turning thirty and riding a motorcycle for a living, as a courier, not playing music and slowly giving up ... when the life-changer happened... An intersection, a car, a wrong reflex, and a miracle.... Mic broke his neck and survived. He was very lucky. He spent the next three months in traction, an unflattering cast that covered his whole head and shoulders. During this time, he was housebound and could hardly move. This was when everything changed.... Instead of giving in and lying down, Mic wrote his most powerful songs to date. His words were about living and the importance of positivity.

This was a Mic I'd never seen. He had always had a positive outlook, but this was shaman-like power. This accident had been a huge shot across the bow. It seems now, thinking back, that may have been his time to go, but somehow, he negotiated his way out of it, saying 'I have unfinished business I need to attend to - give me more time'. The reason I say this, is because in the last year of Mic's life, he had come full circle. He had dropped old hurts, contacted old friends, re-connected with those he had not spoken with in years. And then there was me and him, Mic and Glen. We were right back where we began, except now the world was smaller than ever. We spent most of the year touring Europe and the U.S. Just two lads and two guitars. It was what we'd always talked about; hitting the road, growing beards, drinking wine and kissing girls ... the troubadours.... This was better than anything else. This was bigger than the Frames, the Mary Janes. It felt so right. This year we had played in Ireland, England, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria and America. Recently, in Vienna, we had decided to make a record together. We had begun to write the bones of the ideas for this. All was good, we were best mates and that was that.

On our return from Austria, there was an e-mail in my computer form Mike Scott. I had sent him "Heyday", Mic's e.p., and he replied, raving about mic's songs and his voice. Mike offered Mic the Waterboys European tour. If anybody knew me and Mic, this was a very big deal. Of course, Mic was thrilled to be invited along. He was proud as could be about his big adventure and we talked for days about it until soon it came to the day Mic was leaving. We had re-pressed with a new sleeve design and Harry and Vaun, Mic's parent's had bought him a suitcase with wheels. He packed six hundred c.d.'s in there, a change of clothes, bought some credit for his phone and he was off. We hugged at his front door. I wished him luck and we promised to stay in touch by phone. He called every few days, raving down the phone at how much he was enjoying himself. He was sleeping on the crew bus and thought this was just great. I would get texts every day, like: "Brixton Academy- One, Mic- Ten! Or " How cool is this?!" and sometimes, " Vsetko je v poriabku!" (Slovak for 'it's all good'). Mic was out doing what he loved. His life was good. He would say, "Every day is a blessing" and he meant it.

Mic played in Groningen, Holland on November 16th. He had a great gig and sold more c.d.'s that night than any other night on the tour. He went for a few beers after the show and simply slipped on some steps. It could have happened anywhere, at any time. I'm just glad we got that week to sit with him, sing to him and say our goodbyes. I will never get over this and there's nothing that could have prepared me for the loss I feel, it's the simple things that will hurt most, like who to go for breakfast with, or who to talk to about the small things, our friendship will never die, or be replaced.. it will go on.. I remember sitting with Maureen, Harry, Vaun, milky and Donal, as the machines were turned off, and feeling an overwhelming sense of peace and resolve as my friend moved on to somewhere new.. the whole time we we're there it felt like we we're with him, and once he passed it then felt like he was with us.. and it's been that way since.. Mic died a handsome young rover, he left no debts and no anger, just a lot of great memories and beautiful songs and a friendship that will never diminish. He lived as a poet and died as one, and I will never fear death again because I know when it's my time, my friend will be waiting to show me around. We saw too much beauty to be cynical, felt too much joy to be dismissive, climbed too many mountains to be quitters, kissed too many girls to be deceivers, saw too many sunrises not to be believers, broke too many strings to be pro's and gave too much love to be concerned where it goes...."

by Glen Hansard
Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #70
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

As for songs, I strongly suggest going to youtube and typing in "Mic Christopher." And watching all of them. lol

"Listen Girl" is beautiful (and has Lisa in the video). The Mic and Glen busking videos are classic. "Heyday" is an anthem.

If you watch the ones of them in the Czech Republic you'll see 13 year old Marketa Irglova there a lot as well.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #71
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

WOW, what a read, admittedly I teared up a little. I just can't imagine what that must have been like. I enjoyed some of the videos as well

I'll be interested to see if any videos emerge from the tribute gig, for sure - what a wonderful thing to do for a friend

Thank you for posting that
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #72
cille
creepycute

I must admit I'm not as taken with Mic Christopher as many people seem to be. But he seems to have been an important part of the Dublin scene in the late 1990'ies/early 2000s.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #73
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Just one more day! A 15 minute long version of Heyday would probably end the night, but I can't wait to see how each song would be played. And probably perhaps some rare footage of Mic in the background!
Well this version of Skylarkin done by Glen is just rocking.

Last edited by QueenOfTheSouth; 11-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #74
verenita
... trusty and true ...

yay! i´m totally excited now... but, guys, i need to apoligize in advance, cause i don´t own a camera and i have just a regular phone... but i´m sure there will be plenty of videos and youtube and a load of pictures (all of them much better than those i could ever film or take for sure).
Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #75
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Note from Claire: "mary janes and mundy, gemma, lisa, ronan, glen, matthew pale, acko, eoin glacklin will be opening the proceedings (hope the uk strikes mean everyone can get here ok!!), with frames and loads more folks taking over the events after the 'support' act..lots of really special guests coming along to sing and be a part of the night."

maybe...
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #76
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Wow, the planets really need to align for this one, with 1/2 of the equation complete. Although I'm not sure if that "lisa" pertains to hannigan or o'neil
Should be noted that Mark Geary will also be there. I'm really surprised that there are still tickets left unsold...

Last edited by QueenOfTheSouth; 11-29-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #77
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Patiently waiting for your report, Verenita. Although by the looks of it, I'm not too sure not much went down, as far as the scope of this thread is concerned. =p
Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #78
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

there's a couple youtubes already, bad qaulity though... cannot figure out who's on stage :-)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #79
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´m at work now, so i cannot write properly, but just a few clues:

- not to keep the mistery, there´s no point whatsoever: no damien, no lisa, no even gemma

- it was superlative: more than four hours! i´m not kidding.

- at some point of the gig, glen introduced mic´s daughter (!!!).

i promise i´ll back with a proper review, but maybe some of you may find a press review before i can.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #80
glo32
Eskimo Regular

mic's... daughter...? really?

ps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeD-J852vqY
moving!
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #81
verenita
... trusty and true ...

ok, guys. i will try to make some justice to the concert, but i beg your pardon in advance, cause i´m quite sure that my words just will fail me.

as i said, the gig lasted over four hours. it was absolutely brilliant, utterly moving, emotional, beautiful... superlative! i think there were more than 30 artists on stage, all friends of mic, who honoured his life and spirit and what he was to all of them. it was more about his early days as a busker on grafton street and the mary james times than his later days, but most of the song from skylarking were played.

i will name some pople. i didn´t know them all and i may forget some: besides, the mary janes bandmates and the frames, of course, we had the pleasure to listen and see mundy (who played a terrific version of one the mary jane´s song), nina hayes sang a beautiful version of "what a curious notion", a group of three kids (i don´t know who they are), the coronas, two females (but i don´t know much about them) who sang beautifully as well, this huge irish musician (sorry, i cannot remember his name, but all the irish people in the room got mentally happy, he) and even paul brady showed up. plus, many more musician (i´m sorry, but that was so intense and emotional and moving that i got completly lost and so did my memory), most of them from the busking times. glen was superlative too... and, as i said, at some point he told a story about how much mic loved kids and how good he was to them, and after that, he said that one and a half year after mic passed away, this little cute girl came to mic friend´s life and it turned out she was his daughter... the girl showed up on the stage and sang a song. she has a beautiful song (i´m sure there will be vids on youtube any time soon). Liam Ó Maonlaí, joined by everybody on stage closed the night -well, almost- with a moving version of "forever young".

after that, nobody was in the mood of leaving, of course. so, glen said something about mic´s parents and what a good singer mic´s father was. so, he invited him (they both were at the gig) to the stage to sing a few elvis tunes. so, thats what harry christopher did. he told a short story aobut mic and he said his son lived the live he wanted therefore he had a happy life

there were also a few vids on the screen from the early days with the mary jane and another one, where mic had dreadlocks

i think this is pretty much it. because i cannot describe all the love and the emotions that everyone could actually feel and breath. as i said, i only knew a bit of mic after i discovered damien and, because of that, glen. but i was so happy to be there. it was, once again, superlative.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #82
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Setlist:

Party Game – Glen and MJs
Sham – Eoin Glackin and MJs
Bored of their Laughter – Philip Marshall and MJs
Cut Me Loose – Matthew Devereux and MJs
Listen Girl – Glen and Matthew Devereux
Colm Mac Con Iomaire + 2 Others [Concertina and Uillean Pipes] – Jigs
Pete Courtney and MJs
Eoin Dillon
John The Baptist [With Poem intro, Everything is going to be alright] – Scullion
Eyelids Into The Snow – Scullion
Mark Geary and The Frames
This is the Sea – Mike Scott and The Frames
Fisherman’s Blues – Mike Scott and The Frames
Peter Murphy
Ken O’Neill
[Don't know First name] Roche and her Son
Kids Song – Kids, Interference, Mundy, The Frames
Breakout – Interference and The Frames
Gold – Interference and The Frames
Centurion – Claire Nicholson
Curious Notion – Nina Hynes
Who Knows Where Time Goes – Miriam Ingram
Hard Station – Paul Brady
Arthur McBride – Paul Brady
Poem – ‘He’s a true one fardadadididdle, He’s A True one and I tell you…’
Winesong – Mundy and MJs
Lyin’ Down – Mundy and MJs
Part of Me – Tony Fitz and MJs
Bones – Aimee Christopher and MJs
Story of an Artist – Jerry Fish
True Friends – Jerry Fish
And The Healing Has Begun – Acko, Swanny and The Frames
The One I Love – Canice Keanely and The Frames
Friends – Paddy Casey, The Frames and MJs
Heyday – The Coronas and everyone else
Skylarkin – The Frames and Matthew Devereux
You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere – The Frames, Matthew Devereux, Kids, Acko, Someone From Crowd
Wooden Heart – Harry Christopher and The Frames
Suspicious Minds – Harry Christopher and The Frames
Forever Young – Liam O Maonlai and everyone else

Video:

Listen Girl (by nic0blue)

Arthur McBride (by BlackForestJules)

This is the Sea (by BlackForestJules)

Bones (by BlackForestJules)

Heyday (by daramunnis)

Skylarkin (by erimc)

Wooden Heart (by erimc)

Suspicious Minds (by erimc)

Forever Young (by nic0blue)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #83
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ great! you did so much better than me i bet most of the videos belong to the guy who was right in front of me. i got a bit irritated at some point, to be honest.

i forgot to say that all the money goes to fragile x disease research. here´re some words from colm (whose oldest son has this disease):

"The main focus of course is Mic, we'll be playing his songs and the songs he loved. But the night is also to raise awareness and funds for Fragile X Disease," said Colm. "We've been looking for the right time to do a gig to raise funds and we just thought the two work well together.
"We're hoping the funds raised will pay for professionals from an institute in Colorado in the US to come over and help families here dealing with the disease. There are cases of Fragile X diagnosed here every week and people still know nothing about it."

He said The Frames felt it was suitable to combine tonight's Vicar Street gig for their pal Mic with the fundraiser because Mic "was always a big supporter of children's charities". "He spent time in Bosnia before he died visiting and helping the war children so we know he'd have wanted to help with this too."
Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #84
verenita
... trusty and true ...

this is the legend that i didn´t know about:

and this is his daughter:
Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #85
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

that's mike scott from the waterboys, who Mic was touring with when he bumped his head
Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #86
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ thanks. shame on me!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #87
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

So much to see! Especially Mic's guitar being passed around, and Glen wearing Mic's red shirt and the same denim jacket, I believe, from the Prague days.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #88
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

thanks guys for the reviews and videos. what a night...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #89
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

Oh *.* Thanks for posting and vids !!
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #90
Drakester3000
Eskimo Baby

The Frames + Friends

http://youtu.be/1aCpr6BpEVI
Drakester3000 is offline   Reply With Quote