Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Default what a new Damien CD would sound like?

I always think...If Damien released a CD today....We mostly know the songs....so i came upo with mine....kinda in order from favorite to least

You shouldnt be here
fool
insane
wild and free
Unknown song (Piano one found on youtube couple months ago, good song)
sand
stone (decent but thats all)
is that it my friend (OK song)
beast and beauty (OK song)
Never been in this place b4 (OK but Boring IMO)

Nothing really great....and nothing that really stands out....maybe being too harsh.....but its very unlikely we will hear anything much more new....and hope he doesent pull a "me my yoke and I) and go old juniper....

am i mssing anything really good?
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
glo32
Eskimo Regular

- The Greatest Bastard
- Wild and Free
- Beast and Beauty
- Barcelona Song 5
- What This Night Is For

+ new songs
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

I've never seen the "The Greatest Bastard" title before. which song is it, Glo? and is there a recording of that song?
malakitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
glo32
Eskimo Regular

It's a song he played during the four Icelandic sessions he recorded in front of 90-people audiences...
according to everyone, it's an amazing song, probably the best new song he has played in a while...
no recording of it, though (recording wasn't allowed)
Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thansk, glo. i was wondering the same as malakitt, but now i remember a bit of what karla said about this song.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

He apparently played like 10 or more new songs just at that one series of concerts two years ago, though, so he's obviously got a lot more new material than he's shown us.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
malakitt
Eskimo Friend

thanks, Glo! all of it makes sense, but I had never seen the title before, so I had to ask.
malakitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
BrokenDoll
Eskimo Baby

There was one he did during the recording sessions in Iceland called "Back to her man" (I assume... not sure if that's the offical title) that I absolutely fell in love with. I really hope that will make it's way on the new album (whenever he decides to release it). I only heard it 4 times but it really stuck with me and I can't wait to hear it again. It had a very dark feeling about it, really heavy lyrics. T'was awesome.
BrokenDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ lucky you
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
He apparently played like 10 or more new songs just at that one series of concerts two years ago, though, so he's obviously got a lot more new material than he's shown us.
I had a similar thought - why would he cut a long awaited cd full of songs we all know so well?
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
BrokenDoll
Eskimo Baby

The way he described it himself during the Iceland recording sessions was that the idea was to record an album with new material, but he also had quite a few songs that he didn't have a proper recoding of and wanted to record them in a studio and release them along side the album, older songs like Sand, Fool, You shouldn't be here and such. I wouldn't be worried about there not being any new material on the next album, he's got plenty!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

perfect! and a couple old timers makes sense and would be welcome because theoretically it would mean he plays on tour which is more than the previous sporadic offering we have received on many of them

so all good.................and when did we say this supposed new cd is coming out lol??!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i think i woulndt like for him to record fool in a studio. this song is pure spontaneous inspiration and i don´t think any possible studio recording would do justice to that magic...

as for a new cd. i don´t have any expectation, i swear. i´m totally open to whatever he wants to spread out.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

[quote=verenita;366912][font="Garamond"][size="3"][color="DarkGreen"]i think i woulndt like for him to record fool in a studio. this song is pure spontaneous inspiration and i don´t think any possible studio recording would do justice to that magic...

I agree and dissagree....what a great song...But Of all his old songs...thats the one i'd love a good recording of..may be my top 5 damien songs ever....it deserves to be heard more...other than that...boy would i love to hear about 10 New Damien songs...one of my biggest wishes
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #15
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
I had a similar thought - why would he cut a long awaited cd full of songs we all know so well?

well he did in 2006.... 9...if u were a (big) damien fan up til then, you heard the songs from 9...with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions....i fortunately wasnt a "big" fan so they were new to me.....of course just 5 years ago things were different with youtube and all that stuff
Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
well he did in 2006.... 9...if u were a (big) damien fan up til then, you heard the songs from 9...with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions....i fortunately wasnt a "big" fan so they were new to me.....of course just 5 years ago things were different with youtube and all that stuff
fair save for it is pretty much on record he put 9 together for the arseholes and not really for his tastes.....hopefully after this extended absence he puts something together he enjoys so if we get fool sand or any/all of the above I hear you - just wish he would bring it (insert "the lazy bastard" if you wish lol).
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenDoll View Post
The way he described it himself during the Iceland recording sessions was that the idea was to record an album with new material, but he also had quite a few songs that he didn't have a proper recoding of and wanted to record them in a studio and release them along side the album, older songs like Sand, Fool, You shouldn't be here and such. I wouldn't be worried about there not being any new material on the next album, he's got plenty!
if he has about 10 new songs...how nice would it be to release that and a bsides album with the 10 songs I mentioned above....he has at least 5 great songs he hasnt released that are bettter than many songs on 9 and even O
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

why I haven't seen this thread before??!!

I love the idea of a regular CD plus a 2nd one with all our old favourites that were never properly relesed like Sand, Insane and Fool.

I really hope Wild and Free is single #1 off album three. Best song ever. So amazing, the live version we have is perfection.

I see no one has mentioned The Waiting Song, which I think is amazing too. It's the one he did once in Dublin with Glen.

Then there was also the NASA song, which he did just a bit... it was something like 'but I'm just ordinary lalala'

and of course then there's all the newies he did toward the end of the 9 tour. Not sure if those should go into CD1 or CD2. I mean, You Shouldn't Be Here, he played it live twice and was not even finished. If he puts it on CD1, we cannot complain, it's 'our fault' if we know it, in a way. He shouldn't just dropped it cos he tested it a couple of time and a few of us got to hear it...

same with What This Night is For, which is really beautiful and worth appearing on the new album properly...

and what about Is That It My Friend... love it but it's kinda old, although the song has been changing thru time...
Old 06-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

and Audur, thanks for the info about that song from Iceland... in a way, you guys that went to those shows didn't tell us mucho... I mean the reviews were kinda thin on info we need moooooooooore info
Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #20
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenDoll View Post
why dont you give us a review of the new songs..?...U mentioned u loved one song'''"great bastard" ?.. any other good ones...can u give us an idea of the songs....?..i know its hard after one listen sometimes but any info would be great...thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #21
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

rather than incite a complete riot I thought I would just drop this unsolicitated comment from the ford board rather than start a new thread

two somewhat similar stories about the biz........two entirely different ethics

"The word "record" sounds encouraging... dare we wonder if it could be substituted by the word 'album'? Also noteworthy is that both of the last two e-mails refer to future rock'n'roll performances...

All credit to Ford, he certainly hasn't been resting on his laurels of late. It's certainly true for me that my interest in artists can wane due to their lack of activity; see Damien Rice... his second album was nearly five years ago and he has barely toured since then. In that time Ford has released SFTR, three Sketchbooks, numerous M&C cds with new material, LTHTR, written a book and I must've been to nearly ten of his shows without having to drive for more than an hour. I even had the privilege of playing along with him at one of them.

The reason why Ford has lasted ten years in the music industry so far without relative commercial success is largely down to how he treats his supporters in terms of output, live performances and also how hard he clearly works. I now look forward to seeing what the autumn/fall brings."

Thanks Dave H

And just sayin - let the kumbayya lovers have at it - particularly the bitter one from chicago lol!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
cille
creepycute

Honestly, David Ford does nothing to me.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

cille you are missing the point

this isn't about ford v damo - it is about two artists that stick their middle finger to the establishment yet go about their craft in two enitrely different manners - from a fan's view

and no problem with your tastes - there have been plenty of artists through the years you have endorsed that do absolutely nothing for me as well!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
cille
creepycute

Yeah i know, but you just keep going on so it seems like it's about that you know? Evry single post type thing. The same aguement over and over. Tell me some other views, you know? I'd lolve that actually.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

well let's see.......ford yeah I can go on and on about but save for this one exception from dave h that is in the ford thread

as far as damo's "new cd" I did state much earlier in the thread that I would hope for songs none of us particularly knew save for a couple that maybe haven't been officially recorded

as far as damo hanging out god bless - I have recently realized though that at this point 5 years in he is jeopardizing his "significance" - the guy from brooklyn pointed out that he probably doesn't care which also is all good - yet why I posted the comment from dave h
Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I do also like marti's idea of two cds!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #27
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

The Waiting Song, good or what!!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I always think...If Damien released a CD today....We mostly know the songs....so i came upo with mine....kinda in order from favorite to least

You shouldnt be here
fool
insane
wild and free
Unknown song (Piano one found on youtube couple months ago, good song)
sand
stone (decent but thats all)
is that it my friend (OK song)
beast and beauty (OK song)
Never been in this place b4 (OK but Boring IMO)

Nothing really great....and nothing that really stands out....maybe being too harsh.....but its very unlikely we will hear anything much more new....and hope he doesent pull a "me my yoke and I) and go old juniper....

am i mssing anything really good?

OMG how could I have forgotton 'Child man silly dog'...one of his greatest....and as far as old juniper songs, i love 'toffee Pop' too...so at the very least, he does have 10 songs (that we already heard) that can make a more than adequate album
Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #29
BrokenDoll
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
why dont you give us a review of the new songs..?...U mentioned u loved one song'''"great bastard" ?.. any other good ones...can u give us an idea of the songs....?..i know its hard after one listen sometimes but any info would be great...thanks
You know, I wish I would have done that right away, but honestly I don't really remember them well enough after all this time to review them. I wrote some lyrics down, but they're in a notebook back home, and I won't return for a year or so... sorry. There were two songs that I really liked, they were kinda heavy (a bit of a Me, My Yoke feel to them) and the other ones have kind of slipped my mind, since I only heard them once. But he did say that the new album would only contain new songs, how ever he talked about some old songs (Fool, Insane, Sand etc) that he wanted to record in a studio as well. I don't think he is intending on including those on the album with the new songs.

Gah! I went up to him and spoke to him after the second recording session I attended. I realize now that I should have asked more questions! -.-
Old 12-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #30
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for all the info
I honestly think you guys who attended those sessions could have done a better job in reporting the only thing we got from that was a quote from the greatest bastard and nothing more...