Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 11-04-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
Travis
Eskimo Baby

Regarding this show (CD), what are the particulars? Is this a show that can legally be distributed like any other show? I seriously hope not. On the back of the insert (I hate these things, by the way) it says "under exclusive license to vector recordings" as well as "© damien rice 2003, all rights reserved." This hardly sounds like a tradeable show, but if I'm wrong, tell me.I was one of the few who spent the extra buck to get the "official version" from ebay, but come to find out BMG is sending me a copy this week. Regardless, I don't know if this is something that can be traded.

I'm looking for any other high quality (uncopyrighted) recordings that might be available (i.e. - KCRW, etc). I have seen some "bootlegs" being sold on ebay which makes me think that these are available within the sharing community. Let me know.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:00 AM   #2
framesaver
Eskimo Regular

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the damo bootlegs in circulation at present. It's just missing a few of the american radio braodcasts:

Date - Venue/Session - Source - Quality - CD #

04.10.03 Henry Fonda Theatre, LA AUD A 3
10.09.03 Theatre of Living Arts, PA AUD A- 2
15.08.03 Paradiso, Amsterdam - VideoCD Webcast A- 2
30.05.03 El Rey Theatre, LA AUD A- 2
05.05.03 North Six, New York AUD B+ 2
03.05.03 Fez Under Time, New York AUD B+ 1
01.05.03 Sin 'E Cafe, New York AUD B+ 2
24.03.03 Joe's Pub, New York AUD B+ 2
21.02.03 Hop & Grape, Manchester AUD B 2
19.02.03 Union Chapel Promo SBD A* 1
24.01.03 KCRW Session VideoCD Webcast B 1
24.01.03 & 01.11.02 The KCRW Sessions AudioCD Webcast A 2
04.03.03 Other Voices - Songs From A Room VideoCD TV A 1 19.12.02 St James' Church, Dingle AUD B 1
14.12.02 The Playhouse, Derry AUD A 2
09.12.02 The Olympia, Dublin AUD B- 1
08.12.02 The Olympia, Dublin AUD B 2
07.12.02 The Olympia, Dublin AUD A 2
28.11.02 The Taberncale, London AUD B 2
02.10.02 University College Cork AUD B- 1
29.08.02 Music City Instore, Rathmines, Dublin AUD A 1
11.07.02 HMV Instore, Grafton St, Dublin AUD A 1
06.05.02 Heineken Green Energy, Dublin Castle Broadcast A 1
22.03.02 MuseumsCafé, Passau AUD>MP3 C 1
01.03.02 The Olympia, Dublin AUD A 1
09.02.02 The Lobby, Cork AUD A 2
31.01.02 Vicar St, Dublin (Album Launch) AUD B 2
06.11.01 An Taibhdhearc, Galway AUD B 1
23.09.01 The Lobby, Cork AUD B 1
Edited by: framesaver
framesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:58 AM   #3
Bumpman

I'd love to hear damien play in Sin-e, little bit of history it is, when are we going to see a whole decent quality show available to download on THIS site... i know there's a lot of legal stuff, but c'mon, try it out... PLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I'd love to hear damien play in Sin-e, little bit of history it is
The Sin-e where Jeff played no longer exists. It's currently a trance record store.

The current gigs take place in the new Sin-e's location and it's quite a different room from the old coffee house, much more gig oriented. (it's still owned by Shane Doyle, though.)
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
Travis
Eskimo Baby

No one really answered my main question, which was "Is it legal to trade Union Chapel?" I would imagine not, but please let me know. Thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 02:52 AM   #6
framesaver
Eskimo Regular

Well, it's probably not 100% legal, but it's a hell of a lot more acceptable than selling it on ebay in my opinion. Mercenary dogs.
framesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis

No one really answered my main question, which was "Is it legal to trade Union Chapel?"* I would imagine not, but please let me know.* Thanks
Of course not.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:14 PM   #8
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

[quote=Travis]

No one really answered my main question, which was "Is it legal to trade Union Chapel?" I would imagine not, but please let me know. Thanks

No, it is absolutely illegal - total breach of copyright
Old 11-06-2003, 02:46 PM   #9
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I see nothing wrong with trading the show as long as no money is exchanged. The goal BMG had in mind was to spread the good word about Damo by offering up a free promo cd. Frankly, if you are trading the cd you're doing some of the work for BMG as well as free advertising for Damien. Not only that, I don't believe that DRM is receiving any royalties as well. It seems like a win win situation for everyone except the chumps on Ebay kicking down $40 for the cd when you can easily find a copy of the show for free in a handful of ways. Just my .02
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #10
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Well. it's a commercial copyrighted release. 'Nuf said! You could email Vector Records and ask what they think of your view [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 07:01 PM   #11
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, I gotta think Angela and The Kitten are right on this one. A similar question came up on another music message board for a band that allows taping of their shows. They had released a special promo cd of live songs from their Summer tour for people who preordered their latest release, and people wanted to know if it was okay to trade. Someone contacted the band's management and the official word that came back was no, it wasn't okay, so that was that.

NOW...all that being said, it's probably going to continue to get traded, which is a far sight better than people going and dropping 50 bucks for it on Ebay. But if we as a fan community aretrying to convince Damien's management to encourage taping and trading of live shows, then it's probably better not to officially encourage trading copyrighted material to show that we can play by the rules.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:59 PM   #12
Travis
Eskimo Baby

Well, that's good to hear. I share the opinion that this CD should not be traded, as it is an EXCLUSIVE CD. But I don't like it when people say things about people charging $xx amount on ebay for the disc, or how it's "unacceptable." People sell Warehouse CDs all the time, and no one bats an eye. It's the price you pay for not being part of some group. However, no one's forcing you to buy anything. Like I have mentioned before, I like high quality audio -- moreover, I like acquiring official (licensed) releases. The fact that it's exclusive content makes it so valuable, especially to people not part of the BMG Music service. It works the same with anything rare.

I'm not trying to be an elitist or a die-hard collecter, I just care about my music and where it comes from. If there's a release out there, I'd rather have that than go the trading route.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:00 PM   #13
Travis
Eskimo Baby

I got caught up in the moment, thanks to all who responded.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 PM   #14
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

People sell Warehouse CDs all the time, and no one bats an eye. It's the price you pay for not being part of some group.

Actually, the Warehouse CDs were the ones I was referring to in my post. The mods on nancies.org decided that these cds, along with the ones released with the recent Some Devil or upcoming Central Park releases, were not to be publically traded on the boards. This isn't to say that it won't still go on quietly behind the scenes, but they were at least not going to trade any official releases.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #15
Travis
Eskimo Baby

@ mierk:

I was referring to the selling of these CDs online. I was trying to make a point about people complaining about high prices on ebay. Anyway, for those of you who are members of BMG or are thinking about joining, it looks like they are now selling the CD (you could also grab it as one of your free enrollment titles). The selection number is below:

D148736
Old 11-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #16
Mario
Eskimo Regular

It is not for sale. It is in no way exclusive. (Warehouse CDs are available only to members of the Warehouse.) Therefore, it can be traded.

Use your heads. The reason you don't trade albums is that it gives someone a copy of an album without reimbursing the artist. The Union Chapel is being distributed for free, thus trading it does not do anyone an injustice.

Additionally, its not even in print anymore, is it? Its generally acceptable to trade something that is no longer commercially available.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
The Union Chapel is being distributed for free, thus trading it does not do anyone an injustice.

Additionally, its not even in print anymore, is it?
This was a pressing of 200,000. Given Damien sold 40,000 copies of 'O' by some date recently, it's safe to assume there are plenty copies left and there's nothing exclusive about it, indeed.

BMG is now selling the remaining copies to its members, BTW.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #18
Mario
Eskimo Regular

BMG is now selling the remaining copies to its members, BTW.

How much?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:18 PM   #19
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I'm not a member, so I can't see the price. I heard about $18+, though most of their CD's seem to fall in the $13+ range, so I don't know if that number is true. But it is definitely being sold now.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:39 PM   #20
Travis
Eskimo Baby

Why is it when I say BMG is selling them now, Mario says "no they aren't" but when Angela says they are he asks "how much?" I am a member of BMG and currently it's set at $17.98 plus shipping which is $2.79. If you actually join and do the club, you can get 12 CDs (incl. Live at Union Chapel) for around $4.30 a CD.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:58 PM   #21
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I've been trying to join, I can never find 11 interesting CD's there. The place is hard to browse with only mainstream categories. (I liked the "world music" one!) They did sell me 'Moon & Antarctica' for $7 incl. s/h the other day, so I bought that along with some Nina Simone.

What a rip-off to sell the Union Chapel one for almost $21. I can't believe Damo agred to have his US label engage in that kind of thing [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Trade away, I say!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #22
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I knew you would see our way Angela. :-)

I couldn't find a decent 10 cassette tapes for a whole whopping penny over 15 years ago. I can't understand how Damo got involved in that fiasco as BMG is a commercialized monopoly joke.
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:59 PM   #23
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Obviously I missed your post. For the last 6 months, BMG has been giving it away for free.

Quote:

Why is it when I say BMG is selling them now, Mario says "no they aren't" but when Angela says they are he asks "how much?"* I am a member of BMG and currently it's set at $17.98 plus shipping which is $2.79.* If you actually join and do the club, you can get 12 CDs (incl. Live at Union Chapel) for around $4.30 a CD.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:18 PM   #24
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Avocado
I knew you would see our way Angela. :-)

I couldn't find a decent 10 cassette tapes for a whole whopping penny over 15 years ago. I can't understand how Damo got involved in that fiasco as BMG is a commercialized monopoly joke.
I don't mind if Damien wants to sell his CD's at Walmart. It's the price that galls me. $21 for 8 tracks?

Can somebody talk to Mr. "This award means nothing to me" about this?? Like pull him into a dark corner at the next gig and ask him a few questions? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Btw, it took me 40 minutes to find 3 CD's. The third one was "Best of Byrds". I guess that tells you something, eh [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] I was really surprised they had Modest Mouse!

emusic.com has a pretty good "50 MP3's for free" try-out deal, btw. They have all of Cat Power.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:23 AM   #25
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

i paid 50 quid for my union chapel cd, was under the impression i wasnt gonna get it any cheaper may as well whip up a copy before they are all lost burned or thrown in the bin by people who didnt want 'free crap'.
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM   #26
Angela
Eskimo Regular

"Scarcity" is a great marketing ploy. Look how they called it a "limited edition". While technically true, they actually pressed 200,000 member promos whereas the album had sold 40,000.