Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

View Poll Results: What is the weakest song on O?
Delicate 1 2.86%
Volcano 1 2.86%
Blower's Daughter 1 2.86%
Cannonball 4 11.43%
Older Chests 8 22.86%
Aimie 2 5.71%
Cheers Darlin' 12 34.29%
Cold Water 4 11.43%
I Remember 0 0%
Eskimo 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Default Weakest song on O thread

Hey all. i keep forgetting to post here so i thought i'd make a thread to get yself involved. Someone was doing this on a ryan adams forum.

Basically you vote for your least favourite song on the album. I'm not saying here that there are any bad songs on the album but it's just a more interesting way of doing it. And every time you take away the song with the most votes and then start again untill you have a champion.

Unfortunetally there are 11 songs (12 if you include silent night) and only 10 options so i thought i'd do it with all but prague and then add it in the second round.

I'll probably mangle this cause i'm not tottaly sure how the poll thing works but here goes....
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Greenmeanie
green and mean

I voted cannonball, may be because it was so overplayed, but it's a skipper for me.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

Probably Amie, but i still always listen to it.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Cheers Darlin for me!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
Bumpman

I don't think it's the sort of album that has a conspicuously weak song, they just appeal to you at different times. When I first heard the album there were one or two songs that I just didn't get, and then time goes on and you start to understand different facets to different pieces. That's what makes it a great piece of art, there's not much room for poking holes in it. It has the kind of diversity where each piece of music is performed with an equal and total amount of care, enthusiasm and love. If you dislike one of the songs particularly then that's another matter entirely, but it's not a case of being able to break the whole thing down and point out an obvious flaw... and if you find it that easy then I would contest that you're incapable of creating something as relevant and beautiful as "O". That's what critics do, they find flaws in the sort of things that they don't know how to create. Who would want to be like them?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Greenmeanie
green and mean

no one's poking holes, just saying which they like the least.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Bumpman

That would have been the case if the thread were called 'least favourite' instead of 'weakest'.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #8
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

"Volcano" for me. Just seems to belong on another album.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i picked cheers darling...
and for me, "the weakest song" means that song which left damien without the possibility to fight (i hope you can understand what i mean)...

i imagine this situation: this song appeared (from... who knows) and give to damien the right cross... straight to his face... and pushed him away from the ring... KO...
that´s what i think!!...
and btw... i could read interesting opinions in here.
verenita
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:07 AM   #10
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I don't think it's the sort of album that has a conspicuously weak song, they just appeal to you at different times. When I first heard the album there were one or two songs that I just didn't get, and then time goes on and you start to understand different facets to different pieces. That's what makes it a great piece of art, there's not much room for poking holes in it. It has the kind of diversity where each piece of music is performed with an equal and total amount of care, enthusiasm and love. If you dislike one of the songs particularly then that's another matter entirely, but it's not a case of being able to break the whole thing down and point out an obvious flaw... and if you find it that easy then I would contest that you're incapable of creating something as relevant and beautiful as "O". That's what critics do, they find flaws in the sort of things that they don't know how to create. Who would want to be like them?

I'm not going to add anything to this, just letting it reappear for everyones sake.

I couldn't have said this part better though, "I don't think it's the sort of album that has a conspicuously weak song, they just appeal to you at different times. When I first heard the album there were one or two songs that I just didn't get, and then time goes on and you start to understand different facets to different pieces."

Cheers Darlin' is brilliant to me. One word...emotion. You can feel it. You know its real. I challenge you to listen to it again and again and you believe this guy is hurting.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 AM   #11
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

also just my opinion, i believe volcano fits well on the album. its placement is not what im talking about but the placement works for me as well.....but thats just my opinion, no right or wrong i dont think.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
Greenmeanie
green and mean

I think it's a perfectly legitimate thread and one that appears on numerous other artists boards. We're all here because we're fans, we can also discuss what we believe to be the 'weaker' 'least favourite' 'whatever' parts of the album if we so wish. You're entitled not to contribute, but don't judge or condescend those who do. If that wasn't the intention, then fair enough, but that's certainly what it sounded like to me.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #13
OrangeKnickers
Buttons For Eyes

Older Chests. i can't stand it. and i think it's the weakest as far as song writing goes... borderline cheesy
OrangeKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
Timeé
Intello

argh no song is weak on O!!!

am i the only complainer? every song offers somethin else and i couldnt choose a weak one.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
perplexing
Perplexed Eskimo

For me it would have to be Older Chests as the 'weakest'.
Damien has a tendancy to have massive amounts of emotion in his songs through the tone of his voice and the music along with it. It's like you can generally tell what the feel of the song is without actually paying any attention to the lyrics. (Personally), Older Chests just doesn't seem to have the same unbridled emotion in it as all the other songs.
Cheers Darlin' has the most votes at the moment, which has suprised me as I have always seen it to be probably the strongest and most intense song on the album. The bitterness in his voice almost sends shivers up my spine. I absolutely love it when he wispers and yells, it's so appropriate.

Owen
Old 08-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #16
cille
creepycute

we've been here before with the O surviver. yikes, I'm not sure I'm ready to go through this again :-O
Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #17
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Older chests is one of my favourites Probably is slightly less emotive than the others, but I like the imagery.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #18
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
I think it's a perfectly legitimate thread and one that appears on numerous other artists boards. We're all here because we're fans, we can also discuss what we believe to be the 'weaker' 'least favourite' 'whatever' parts of the album if we so wish. You're entitled not to contribute, but don't judge or condescend those who do. If that wasn't the intention, then fair enough, but that's certainly what it sounded like to me.
I always sound condescending, that's the thing about forums... All text, no tone. I can understand where this idea for a thread comes from, It's fair enough to say that it probably has a place on the Ryan Adams forum, not because I don't like him, but because he's a great artist who releases good and bad work in the same packages. Damien's somewhat different, he's only released one album, and it doesn't have specifically weak songs. It's fair enough to say that you don't like the way he sings or plays something, but as far as I'm concerned that's where it should stop. There's too much of it, people sitting around critiquing the finer points of something that if they tried their whole lives, they couldn't come close to doing. Obviously if that's what you feel like doing then you're perfectly entitled to do it, but as I might seem condescending to you, you'll seem ignorant to me.

Anyway, it's good to at least have some open dialogue on these things isn't it? If we all had to wade through another ten round survivor series I think I may have had stuck a rake in my foot to remember if I still thought anything. If you all feel justified in attempting to tear down what is, in my opinion, a piece of literary and musical work that is beyond the creative minds of probably everyone but the very best writers in the world. Then I honestly believe that you just don't get it. Of course everyone's going to have songs that they'll prefer for different reasons at different times. But there's a difference between thinking something about them, and knowing something about them. You should be asking yourself when it was that you delegated authority unto yourself to talk about the songs as if you had regretted writing them. Then ask yourself how much of these opinions would you be able to throw around if you were talking with Damien face to face.

Never say anything that you're not able to back up to absolutely everyone... and if you don't like what I have to say there's a 'block user' button in every profile.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Quote:
I honestly believe that you just don't get it. Of course everyone's going to have songs that they'll prefer for different reasons at different times. But there's a difference between thinking something about them, and knowing something about them. You should be asking yourself when it was that you delegated authority unto yourself to talk about the songs as if you had regretted writing them. Then ask yourself how much of these opinions would you be able to throw around if you were talking with Damien face to face.
Okay just a quick response because I can't be arsed getting too much into this. But to say I or anyone else 'doesn't get it', is frankly out of order. I've got no beef with you bumpman and I won't hold a grudge for it or anything (I certainly wouldn't block your posts!), but I think thats a really narrow minded thing to say, and suggests massive prejudice, which I think is very sad more than anything else. It also suggests you think you do 'get it', which is also realy very arrogant. As for whether I would say it to Damien, I can only speak for myself but if I were to talk to him and the subject came up, yes I would say I skip cannonball, why on earth wouldn't I? And why would he care? It's my opinion, which I have been asked for. Every artist knows that by publishing their work in the public sphere they will be discussed, loved and hated, that's the risk and the possible pay off.

As I say, I'm not too bothered, and as you say, it's difficult to ascertain tone in a post so I hope you don't take this as agressive because it's really not meant to be. I just found your posts pretty preachy, and had to pick up on that.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #20
Bumpman

That's fair enough. Except for one thing, I don't claim to 'get it' more then anyone else. It sounded like that's what I was saying but it wasn't my intention. What was my intention was to convey that I don't think that any of us really understand enough about what went into that album to make any kind of defninte statements on the difference between good and bad within it. I've certainly never made anything in my life that carries the kind of emotional weight that it does, and as such I don't feel it's my place to summarily dismiss any part of it.

I don't question the existence of your right to do exactly that, in fact I support it... But what I do question is whether anyone could make an argument about whether or not the album has a weak point, and then back up that argument with anything more convincing then preference.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #21
Greenmeanie
green and mean

that's cool.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #22
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

cold water...

please dont hurt me!
ancyuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #23
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Cold Water's my favourite! Die! Kidding

It is my favourite tho. What is it you don't like, if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #24
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

eh i choose silent night

purely to mess with everyones heads and to null my own vote

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #25
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
That would have been the case if the thread were called 'least favourite' instead of 'weakest'.

Just cause it's weakest doesn't mean they are weak. It's compared to the others. Weakest was the word used on the other forum and i couldn't think of an origonal title. I just thought it would be interesting. I can maybe get to a top 3 but i can't get further than that.

I'll call it least favourite next time round.

The point is that it's hard to choose.

Oh and also i think i might start the next one tomorrow. i set it to last 5 days cause i thought it would take a while for people to get going but i see it hasn't. i'll probably start the other one about half four(ish) tomorrow. if thats alright with everyone?
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane

Last edited by Mr Benn.; 08-23-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #26
Timeé
Intello

*tumbleweed*
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #27
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

I am actually quite amazed that people don't like cheers darlin'. I used to hate it but when i lestened closer and to the lyrics it became my favourite for a long time.
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #28
simog
Born an Eskimo

This is like being asked to hit whichever of my children I like the least!
simog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #29
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simog
This is like being asked to hit whichever of my children I like the least!
hahahaha. i like that

not that it's like hitting children i just think it's a good quote
And if I'm low
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #30
Ashley
Eskimo Friend

I can't believe, as of now, Cheers Darlin' has the most votes! (though I guess in a thread like this, something does) Def. one of my fav songs on O! I love the percussion suggestion of clinking glasses, the gradual build up, the whole desperate "what am I..?"

I'm not voting yet, but I'm sure if I do, I'll end up taking down someone's fav as well
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote