Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #31
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
can anyone recommend a stage piano for me? (cillen?)
Im lookin to buy a good quality one. would pay in and around 1500.
we're talking euros right? I have recently been researching digipianos and stagepianos - I ended up with a Roland RD700SX (pictured above) but it cost me around 2000 Euros, but it's worth every dKr, it's just a brilliant stage piano.
I mainly tried out digital pianos, and I did like the Roland fp7; it costs around 1600 in Denmark but it might be cheaper elsewhere. There are also cheaper models in the fp series, fp5 is supposed to be ok too.
I don't what you're looking for reg. sounds (authentic piano sounds, synth sounds..), keys (weighted, no. of keys..), but I was mainly looking for 88 weighted keys and a good grand sample sound, and that can certainly be found with the fp7. As you can see, Roland's instruments appealed to me the most, but I'm sure you can find good stuff from Yamaha or even Korg too. Casio are also making digital pianos but I didn't like the couple of pianos I tried from them, but that's not to say they can't have some descent products.
The Piano World's Piano Forums helped me a lot in deciding and comparing different dp's - and then go to a music store and try them out yourself, that's the only way to find an instrument you like in the end. For instance, Yamaha and Roland have different techniques of weighting the keys, and for some reason I didn't like the key action of even the most expensive digital Yamaha grand, whereas even the cheaper Roland models pleased me much more than any yamaha action. It all depends on what you prefer. Am looking forward to hearing what you will buy!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #32
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
It's like a tuning fork for the eye that has brains.

brilliant! (your description more than anything ) i know what you mean now, we have a store called "world's window" that offers fair trade products from 3rd world countries, particularly those made by women and independent entrepreneurs and they have lamellaphones in there, along with a wide variety of percussion and wind instruments. i used to have a nice rain stick from there but it got stolen..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #33
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
we're talking euros right? I have recently been researching digipianos and stagepianos - I ended up with a Roland RD700SX (pictured above) but it cost me around 2000 Euros, but it's worth every dKr, it's just a brilliant stage piano.
I mainly tried out digital pianos, and I did like the Roland fp7; it costs around 1600 in Denmark but it might be cheaper elsewhere. There are also cheaper models in the fp series, fp5 is supposed to be ok too.
I don't what you're looking for reg. sounds (authentic piano sounds, synth sounds..), keys (weighted, no. of keys..), but I was mainly looking for 88 weighted keys and a good grand sample sound, and that can certainly be found with the fp7. As you can see, Roland's instruments appealed to me the most, but I'm sure you can find good stuff from Yamaha or even Korg too. Casio are also making digital pianos but I didn't like the couple of pianos I tried from them, but that's not to say they can't have some descent products.
The Piano World's Piano Forums helped me a lot in deciding and comparing different dp's - and then go to a music store and try them out yourself, that's the only way to find an instrument you like in the end. For instance, Yamaha and Roland have different techniques of weighting the keys, and for some reason I didn't like the key action of even the most expensive digital Yamaha grand, whereas even the cheaper Roland models pleased me much more than any yamaha action. It all depends on what you prefer. Am looking forward to hearing what you will buy!
Thank you! Well what im looking for is a good stage piano which must have weighted keys. I would also like plenty of sample sounds. The amount of keys...about two octaves less than a piano? anything around that.
a headphone input is essential as is a footpedal. Im basically looking for something that can produce a warm piano sound but can also synthesize sounds like organs and some electro maybe. It has to be portable aswell.
i'd be lookin for somethin that could be played on a table. FP-7 looks good to me.
ill check that out though. merci madame x
A couple of bucks from you?

Last edited by Timeé; 06-02-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #34
cille
creepycute

I totally forgot about the Roland RD 300 SX
It's like the baby bro to the rd700 sx, maybe it's ok, although some people at the piano boards are dissing it for some reason. In DK the price of that is around 1300 Euros, but could easily be cheaper elsewhere.

I looked up Yamaha's stage pianos; their p- and cp-series look ok, and their S90ES looks sponge worthy, though pricey.

From Korg there's the TR 76 Workstation with 76 keys (comes with 88 keys too, then it's called TR 88) at a reasonable price. They also have the SP 500 but I haven't seen that anywhere yet.

I hope it helped, duderino!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #35
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

ooh i almost forgot! i want a tibetan singing bowl

those babies are expensive, i saw some in a crystal shop and they can cost upwards of $200! they're cool to play around with though
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #36
knives!
Eskimo Baby

wow. lots of jokers.

mid 9o's taylor 514ce (this guitar is the closest thing i have to a girlfriend right now.
it picked me. and i love it to death.)
yamaha f-460 (yes, i know. but it actualy sounds quite good and thats kind of what i started on)
takamine
baby taylor
frankenstein telecaster (my friend who owns a guitar shop put it together for me)

woo! there's another tele i'd like to get, but it will be a while. and i'm a little bit mad for that taylor i picked up so i think thats the only acoustic i'll use for quite some time.
i see lots of people on here discussing their spoons and kazoos and things.. where's the musicians!?
knives! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #37
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives!
wow. lots of jokers.

mid 9o's taylor 514ce (this guitar is the closest thing i have to a girlfriend right now.
it picked me. and i love it to death.)
yamaha f-460 (yes, i know. but it actualy sounds quite good and thats kind of what i started on)
takamine
baby taylor
frankenstein telecaster (my friend who owns a guitar shop put it together for me)

woo! there's another tele i'd like to get, but it will be a while. and i'm a little bit mad for that taylor i picked up so i think thats the only acoustic i'll use for quite some time.
i see lots of people on here discussing their spoons and kazoos and things.. where's the musicians!?
oh musicians like you? hmm.. maybe they're over in the humorless self-inflated egos thread..
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #38
wanderer
Eskimoness

Well right now I have a random array of instruments.

I have my Yamaha Euphonium, Bach Trumpet, Conn Trombone, Takamine EG-240 my acoustic, Ibanez AE-28( I don't really remember the model number) for my electric I also have a Yamaha Keyboard and some off brand Mandolin.

I want an new electric guitar I just have no idea which one I am thinking about getting.................ooo and I'd love to get a decent mandolin.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #39
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
Well right now I have a random array of instruments.

I have my Yamaha Euphonium, Bach Trumpet, Conn Trombone, Takamine EG-240 my acoustic, Ibanez AE-28( I don't really remember the model number) for my electric I also have a Yamaha Keyboard and some off brand Mandolin.

I want an new electric guitar I just have no idea which one I am thinking about getting.................ooo and I'd love to get a decent mandolin.
If I were to buy an electric guitar, i'd get a Danelectro DC-3. It looks amazing, sounds amazing and it is relatively cheap, especially compared to the 'bigs'. I almost bought one fro 750$, but a lucky bastard got it before me, and that was the end of my career as a guitar god. Then I saw it in a Led Zeppelin concert footage. Grrr.

Of mandolins, my rumanian Hora is perfect for a first mandolin: its decently made and costs less then 200$. I don't know wheteher its available in the US, though.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #40
cille
creepycute

Quote:
That was a joke...right?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #41
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

i have a not so good acoustic guitar (aria, not sure of the model) an alright electric guitar (epiphone) a pretty nice trumpet (bach strad.) and 2 harmonicas, both G one hohner marine band and one blues band. i'd love to get a hang drum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjIW_lByX2Y , check it out if you've never heard of them they are unbelievable) but i may not have the money, but i imagine my next instrument will be some sort of hippy (for lack of better words) instrument that i get this summer probably a wind instrument maybe percussion
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #42
Bumpman

Quote:
wow. lots of jokers.
Quote:
That was a joke...right?
Not for me, I own and play all the stuff I listed.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:52 AM   #43
wanderer
Eskimoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
If I were to buy an electric guitar, i'd get a Danelectro DC-3. It looks amazing, sounds amazing and it is relatively cheap, especially compared to the 'bigs'. I almost bought one fro 750$, but a lucky bastard got it before me, and that was the end of my career as a guitar god. Then I saw it in a Led Zeppelin concert footage. Grrr.

Of mandolins, my rumanian Hora is perfect for a first mandolin: its decently made and costs less then 200$. I don't know wheteher its available in the US, though.

I have always been curious about Danelectro guitars but I hadn't heard that much about them and I don't know anybody who has one.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #44
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
ahh that's where your screen name comes from!
yep yep yep i love this guitar, i was at the store with the money in hand and almost bought a 2600dollar Taylor but then a guy showed me these great guitars factory direct. i love it! i get all my screennames and usernames from my guitars.

i've always been ibaenzrg520kid on AOL and other boards for many years until i came to this site!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #45
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i've been wanting a mountain dulcimer for awhile now

i love how those sound. i wish i could play anything but i'm completely tone deaf
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #46
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
i love how those sound. i wish i could play anything but i'm completely tone deaf
i know, they have such a haunting sound.. and you can play them so many ways you can play chords, or lay them in your lap and play them slide guitar style, or even set them up like a little cello and use a bow.. i think i could play it since the strings and notes are similar to violin

i love folk instruments, i saw two guys on youtube that play dulcimer and a bowed psaltery together and they sound really good

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 06-10-2007 at 07:14 AM.