Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Arrow I know this is a long read but it's filled with interesting details...

Okay. For the past few weeks I've felt very uneasy about the whole Lisa leaving/being fired from the band stuff. And after hearing every side of this crazy story, I still felt something was missing/wrong. So I've done some invesitigating Sherlock Holmes style and I'm completely shocked by what I've found. Let me just say that the only reason why I post this is because it has brought closure to the endless babble we've been fed.

With all this Lisa drama going on, I had a strange feeling Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol might have played a part in it (you can see my earlier posts in the "Lisa Hannigan Quit?" thread where you'll find my utter distate for this man). Anyway, I decided to check out the Snow Patrol forum earlier today in hopes of finding something new about this mess. And it worked. Some people who've been going to the Snow Patrol shows in the U.S. commented on how they ran into Lisa and talked to her personally about what was going on. This is what they said:

"Sorry this maybe fictional but i thought i might post it just incase.

last night my heart broke... twice

I don't even really know where to start this blog. I guess I'll start it at the beginning.

I headed to the city after work and found no parking in the WV so I parked in the usual spot on 3rd and 9th instead. Honey met me in the car and while we waited for the 6pm parking time. Cara met up with us and we were talking in the car. Cara dropped a bomb shell on both me and Honey. She told us that Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan were officially over. Honey and I looked at each other and we were like they haven't been together in a long time. Cara says no there was something on stereogum and Damien's official site that says that there creative relationship is over. I screamed and honey was yelling too. I was suddenly depressed. I thought that it had to be a horrible internet rumor but Cara said that it was on Damien's site. After some more talking, pizza and beer we said goodnight to Cara and went off to the SNOW PATROL concert!!!

When we got there we decided to hang back which was fine bc we somehow ended up of the equivalent 4th row. silversun pick ups went on and they were meh... they were very loud and all their songs sounded the same. The lead singer who played guitar was ok, but not worth it. Then Ok Go went on and they were a lot of fun. The lead singer went out into the crowd and bumped into honey and passed right by me. It was cool because it wasn't expected. They had these cool things that went crazy with air and it was neat. I guess that word makes me sound really old. But I liked it.

During the show honey and I kept saying to each other how awesome it would be if Lisa came out and sang for "set the fire on the 3rd bar". But she didn't. But he pulled up this girl in the audience from Glasgow and she sang with the lightbody and it was soooo good. I was so amazed. Honey didn't think it was that good but I did. The whole show was amazing. Gary had soooo much energy. He flying all over the stage and slamming his head. Nathan the guitarist is SMOLDERING!!! he was amazing. he really is so hot and he's just the sweetest guy. The lights were great, very u2 of them. But it was great. they kinda stole the lighting but that's alright. We still love them.

After the show Honey and I were like lets go home, then when we headed outside we were like let's just pass by the exit and see if anyone is waiting. There were some waiting so we thought we would wait for like a half hour. We were standing by the van and I decided to move Honey and myself away from the crowd and closer to the door. which was perfect bc 2 min after we did that Nathan "smoldering irish man" Connolly came out and if we were all standing in the other place he would have left. So Nathan came out and he was so flippin hot I had to ask for a hug and bless me thank goodness I did bc he is so hot!!!! I mean really hot!!! He was so sweet as well, he kept apologizing to only me and honey for making us wait outside for him. it was the cutest thing... HOT!!! He gave a really great hug as well. Nice and tight. Then in the door way I saw her... IT WAS LISA HANNIGAN!!! Oh my word. I freaked out. She came out with Gary and i litterally looked at Honey and said out loud "WHAT DO I DO?!?!?" Thank goodness for her quick thinking she said pic with gary first... ok done. we both got a pic with him and we were both able to tell him that he was amazing and his voice was amazing. He was looking exhausted. I mean he literally put his whole body into that show.

Then we quickly went over to Lisa and I put my hand on her arm and asked if we can talk to her. She said of course. And I started right away with OMG we weren't even able to be on the computer today and a friend told us what happened today. Honey and I sort of tag teamed her in the fact that when I would finish talking honey would continue. so I don't really remember who said what but I'll do my best. We told her that we were so upset and thought that maybe it wasn't true and that we were devastated. She said that when she heard about it she was also very upset. That stopped both Honey and me and made us realize that maybe this wasn't a planned or discussed decision. There were definite tears in her eyes and I almost lost it and I think Hon had tears in her eyes as well. We told her that she is amazing and that she has her own set of fans. We told her that she is absolutely incredible and that we love her, Honey actually said I AM IN LOVE WITH YOU!!! It was so meant to be that she was there and we were able to talk to her. We all just were in shock and she said that she was here to support Gary Lightbody, which I am guessing that she is officially dating him. And she should be starting on some solo work within the next couple of weeks. She looked tired, she looked like she needed support and that's what we were trying to give her. She is just the sweetest thing in the whole world. Honey told me that I was touching her the whole time and I don't even remember doing that. But it was cold out and I was treating her like I would treat a friend who is going through a hard time and if it's cold out. I love her. I don't love her like Honey love's her, but I love her a whole lot. While we were talking to her we totally missed the rest of the band. eh, what are you gonna do? We met the best one's anyway. So that was the first heart break of the night. To lighten the mood I started asking questions about Shane. Lisa told me that he is one of the sweetest, nicest people you could ever meet. I said that's why I am in love with him. And she said that he just got engaged. (heart break #2). I was like NONONONONOOOOO!!!!! I was so sad, and she said don't worry there's no ring on his finger, he doesn't have kids yet, you could still break it up. Honey was laughing and said, "Lisa!!" I also laughed a bit and said, "you're the best." She said that he thinks no one loves him and I said you tell him that I, YETTA, love him!!!! She laughed and said she would. I also asked when his b-day was and she forgot but said that she thinks he's a taurus, but that he has a summer b-day. so really who knows, but at least it's a little closer to knowing then not knowing anything. (I know I am crazy for shane). Honey and I were both able to get pictures with her. No one else talked to her except for us. When it was time for her to leave she gave us both a hug and we told her she's amazing and we love her. Once in the van I made eye contact with her and I waved and she waved back and the van was off.

Honey and I lost it!!! absolutely lost it. We called Cara right away and honey told her what happened and we freaked about it and Cara laughed at us. I still can't believe what went down last night. When I woke up this morning I was all depressed, I still am a bit. I feel a little like I did after not meeting U2 when I slept on the street. but not that severe. And then learning that Shane is engaged just made it hurt a little bit more.

Once we got home we turned on the computer and read the official statement that was on Damien's site. To say that it is cold is putting it lightly. I even heard that Lisa actually quit the band 30 minutes b4 their Munich show. but I don't know if that's true.

"After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are - Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander & Vyvienne Long."

I don't even have words for this. Everyone is speculating that it's Damien's fault. I certainly think it is. I really think that he told Lisa that she was spending too much time with Gary or her solo stuff and said that's enough. I don't want to be mad at Damien but it's hard not to be. He can be really difficult and he certainly makes life for himself more difficult then it needs to be.

I really don't know what to say to this. It is greatly upsetting to me and I want to talk to damien about it. But I don't know if that will ever happen. I am beyond words of thankfulness that Honey and I got to talk to Lisa and maybe make her feel a little better.

two heart breaks in one night has made me a very tired woman.

The Link is http://yetta1.blogspot.com/"

Here's another link to the Snow Patrol page where I found this post:

http://www.snowpatrol.net/phpBB/view...nnigan&start=0

And here's another link to the blog her friend named Honey wrote. Honey also posted pictures with Gary Lightbody and Lisa Hannigan from this particular evening.

http://slapchar.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to "Lisa Hannigan is my Angel."

Last edited by Valentino; 04-07-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

As a side note, I would just like to add that when I first read the beginning of the above girl's post on the Snow Patrol forum, the line "Sorry this maybe fictional but i thought i might post it just incase" really stood out. I thought she may have made the whole thing up but I went ahead and visited her her webpage and she sounds really sincere. To paraphrase her, I think she just meant that she was so shocked by what her and her friend had experienced that particular night (who wouldn't be?) that she thought it was all a dream and that she may still be dreaming.

Oh and by the way, I am in no way trying to expose every end of this ongoing drama. The main reason I decided to create this thread was because the information within it really brought closure to my mind. And it's about time cuz Spring Break is almost over and I can finally concentrate on college again. So with all this said and done, I would just like to sign off by saying F*ck Gary Lightbody!!!

Last edited by Valentino; 04-07-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

yeah i never bought that lisa was the problem. that makes me want to slap damien across the face. what a bast_rd
Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

great post. I was refering to this post by the blogger in a previous post. And I remember seeing a couple other of these similar posts by other people saying they ran into lisa and that the story was the same, she didnt hear about damien wanting her out of the band until it happened, and that she wasnt quitting the band, she was kicked out of the band.

I think this post clears up the rumors. She was kicked out. Thats the truth.

Seems to me, it is really stupid of Damien to do that. In fact its outrageous. I always thought they were good friends, I mean they were in a band together for years. Yet it seems Damien was extremely rude.

There does seem to be alot of people saying Lisa is involved in a relationship with gary Lightbody and thats why Damien kicked her out. Seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

Anyways, I dont know what the hell Damien was thinking when he fired her. I mean, what good comes out of it.

Also, I am surprised no other member of the band quit in protest or felt pressure to quit because of lisa's situation, they all seem close to one another, and it must have been hard for all of them.

Damien should announce to the audience at the next show "I kicked lisa out" and be done with it. Its silly to drag it on and on like this,with the ridiculous wording of the press release. He should admit what he did, and we can move on. He obviously hasnt learned. Lisa should still be in the band. I cant see why she would deserve to be thrown to the wolves like this
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
J.M.C
Eskimo

This entire post is bull****, it tells you completely nothing about the situation. The blog was written by a girl who obviously dosent get out much and thinks the way to make Lisa feel better is to keep telling her she is amazing. Several times she cant even remember who said what and even if any of it was true so what? she said she was supporting Gary? thats doesnt mean there dating does it and 2nd she is working on solo stuff in a couple of weeks? How you people come to the conclusion this is Damiens fault I will never know. You have got closure from a nothing blog wrote by a complete idiot....god its almost like you was there when it happend :-|
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
J.M.C
Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
Damien should announce to the audience at the next show "I kicked lisa out" and be done with it. Its silly to drag it on and on like this,with the ridiculous wording of the press release. He should admit what he did, and we can move on. He obviously hasnt learned. Lisa should still be in the band. I cant see why she would deserve to be thrown to the wolves like this
what are you doing? You think that anything is that staight forward? you need to live abit, be on tour with the same people for 7 years, You wudnt last half the time they did.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

i dont think the blog is made up, but maybe some of it is out of context and she has picked bits that she remembered and stuck them together, like i dont think lisa would have found out she was no longer in the band via the official site, the bit that quotes her 'when i found out...', im sure she would have spoke to damien before hand, seeing as we all knew on here before it wsas on there too.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.C
This entire post is bull****, it tells you completely nothing about the situation. The blog was written by a girl who obviously dosent get out much and thinks the way to make Lisa feel better is to keep telling her she is amazing. Several times she cant even remember who said what and even if any of it was true so what? she said she was supporting Gary? thats doesnt mean there dating does it and 2nd she is working on solo stuff in a couple of weeks? How you people come to the conclusion this is Damiens fault I will never know. You have got closure from a nothing blog wrote by a complete idiot....god its almost like you was there when it happend :-|
I had similar feelings when reading this 'text'. This woman sounds like a 13 year old gorl who just met with the Backstreet Boys and took some acid before writing down her experiences. Almost no facts, but lots of I love you's and other annoying comments. It is amazing how much she can write without actually saying anything. The only conclusion I can make from this is that a hysterical girl saw Lisa after a Snow Patrol concert, who was not too happy about her leaving the Damien Rice Band, and Shane is getting married.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 04-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

Hahah it looks like it was written by a four year old...On speed...at Christmas...and she just got a furby.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
sahika
Eskimo Regular

^I feel the same..also I started to be really irritated by this kind of threads..it is both easy and stupid to make up some stories about damien, lisa, who kicked out whom for which reason.. nobody should give a **** about it except 15 year old kids..
I am sorry, but why dont we just listen to the music, get stuck in the music instead of thinking about all these rumours?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Bumpman

^ You guys need to start realising that the band do actually read a lot of what gets posted on here, so do their friends and families. So it's probably a good idea not to start slagging anyone off for whatever reason. It will hurt the people you're writing about, and they won't defend themselves. Trying to extract reasons for Lisa leaving the band from a blog post written by someone who apparently spoke to her for two minutes isn't exactly the fast track to reliable information. So just give it a rest.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

That's very interesting, but as everyone has said so far, it's not 100% reliable so I'm not about to start casting my own speculation.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
RPP
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Almost no facts, but lots of I love you's and other annoying comments. It is amazing how much she can write without actually saying anything. The only conclusion I can make from this is that a hysterical girl saw Lisa after a Snow Patrol concert, who was not too happy about her leaving the Damien Rice Band, and Shane is getting married.
Exactly what i thought
Old 04-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
Nine
Inuit

A link to that blog was already posted - I read it a week or so ago.

I don't get why people can't just let this be and accept the fact that whilst it affects us, it's none of our business and we should just butt the hell out of it, and stop judging the people involved. Because we have no idea, and probably never will have any idea, what truly happened.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
RPP
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
A link to that blog was already posted - I read it a week or so ago.

I don't get why people can't just let this be and accept the fact that whilst it affects us, it's none of our business and we should just butt the hell out of it, and stop judging the people involved. Because we have no idea, and probably never will have any idea, what truly happened.
Indeed!
We cannot know what happend in all these years, so we must stop speculating about it. Over time things will get more clear, but even then.. it's about the music and those people have no obligation to tell us everything.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
a blog post written by someone who apparently spoke to her for two minutes isn't exactly the fast track to reliable information. So just give it a rest.
But Sean, this is the internet, conjecture and hearsay are the very basis upon which this web of information is built. If you start pulling at the threads and thinking that perhaps some if the stuff on it is untrue then the whole thing could collapse, and you don't wan that on your head now do you?

Lisa is marrying the pope, Damien got rid of her because he thinks it's sacreligious.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
But Sean, this is the internet, conjecture and hearsay are the very basis upon which this web of information is built. If you start pulling at the threads and thinking that perhaps some if the stuff on it is untrue then the whole thing could collapse, and you don't wan that on your head now do you?

Lisa is marrying the pope, Damien got rid of her because he thinks it's sacreligious.
Jayzus Christ Almighty! James Blunt is the pope?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 04-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
If you start pulling at the threads and thinking that perhaps some if the stuff on it is untrue then the whole thing could collapse, and you don't wan that on your head now do you?
I like having one thing on my head, and that's my oversized afro wig. The internet can stick itself up its own arse.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #19
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I like having one thing on my head, and that's my oversized afro wig. The internet can stick itself up its own arse.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #20
yummyintummy32
Eskimo Friend

Would anyone mind paraphrasing the initial blog into understandable English? Honestly it's pretty hard to read, so if any of you have the time to go through it and just write it in your own words (preferably without the 'i love yous'), I'd really really appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

"Hello I'm Lisa,
talking to this American girl made me feel like I could live again, (Especially when I waved at her and she waved back) because Damien kicked me out of the band, and until the moment I met this American girl, I would have killed myself. My solo album is out in a week, Shane is getting married, and everything is Gary Lightbody's fault. Love and kisses,
Hannigan."
Thats about the gist of it.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #22
Timeé
Intello

could this thread please be locked? it is painfully infringing upon people's personal lives.
A couple of bucks from you?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

i love how people try and act like this post is a lie. I mean come on people! Its the truth. We hear all the time on this board about people meeting Damien!

Plus it all makes sense. If you and a bandmate decide that one of you should split and go solo, wouldnt the statement read "Damien and Lisa decided". No the statement reads "damien decided".

Plus, who the hell decides to go solo 30 mins before a gig? I can see lisa waking up the day of the gig and going "hey I want to quit the band", but then why did she attend the soundcheck.

Its obvious and people on this board dont want to anything negative about damien. Come on people, he kicked lisa out of the band. You can deny it but its the truth. Why would these people lie? And its not just from that one person several people said similar things.

If she quit on her own, why even attend the gig? What use is it for her to be at soundcheck?

Damien kicked her out of the band, again, unbelievably stupid move. Just admit it Damien!
Old 04-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #24
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

plus how can people act like this is how someone exits a band? Do you really think this was a mutual decision? With all we have heard? With the statement read in full? With this new blog? Does anyone really think this is a mutual decision?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #25
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

sure lisa found out about being kicked out, 30 minutes before the show, wow what a gentlemen move! If your quitting a band you dont do soundcheck. Simple as that.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

people cant read the thank you thread from lisa and get an idea about what happened? You dont make a statement like that if you went and quit the band. Sure if she had quit the band, she would feel sad and all that, but come on, she is acting like we were sending her condolences on what happened and that this helped her and she thanked us for it. Anyone heard of a person quitting a band, and saying to the fans "hey, thanks for the support, I really needed your support in this dark hour".

The truth is clear. people can act like they dont want to believe. But they are only lying to themselves.

People post on here all the time about running into damien or lisa or whoever for two minutes or less. Why do you all act like you dont want to believe this blog?

She obviously met lisa. Pictures are up on the site. Why would she make up the story? Its not like she lied about meeting lisa. She met her. End of story.

I frequent a Pearl Jam BBS, and this is very similar. People there act like if you say one bad thing about the band you are automatically suggesting the band is evil and the devil's spawn.

Obviously people on here care about his personal life or else people wouldnt mind these posts.

Dont act like the blog is some made up thing from some lunatic. She met lisa, and lisa told her what was up. Wake up y'all. Lisa was kicked out
Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #27
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
i love how people try and act like this post is a lie. I mean come on people! Its the truth. We hear all the time on this board about people meeting Damien!

Plus it all makes sense. If you and a bandmate decide that one of you should split and go solo, wouldnt the statement read "Damien and Lisa decided". No the statement reads "damien decided".

Plus, who the hell decides to go solo 30 mins before a gig? I can see lisa waking up the day of the gig and going "hey I want to quit the band", but then why did she attend the soundcheck.

Its obvious and people on this board dont want to anything negative about damien. Come on people, he kicked lisa out of the band. You can deny it but its the truth. Why would these people lie? And its not just from that one person several people said similar things.

If she quit on her own, why even attend the gig? What use is it for her to be at soundcheck?

Damien kicked her out of the band, again, unbelievably stupid move. Just admit it Damien!
No-one said that its a lie, we just said that its incoherent, unreadable an uninformative. It provides no plus information just a half-sentence from Lisa, that se was upset, which is understaneable: If a hysterical yank lady screamed in my ear that she loved me a thousand times I would not be willing to go into deep discussion about my personal hardships.

Until either Lisa and Damien come out and tell the story, the only truth is this: "After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course." Discussion, not directive. This is what we know. It is possible that Tomo wanted Lisa kicked, because she spilled vodka onto his snare drum. Does this really matter? Should we crucify the culprit? Should we burn cd's, elephant paintings and effigies? Do we need more and more threads about something which we don't and can't know, only speculate?

Last edited by Rai; 04-07-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #28
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

can someone else name a time when a member of a band quit 30 minutes before the show, but attended soundcheck? I cant think of a single band. And I am a music fanatic.

What I find interesting is people dont want to talk about his personal life or lisa, but when Damien suggests "oh this is mutual we both decided lisa was going to leave" people lick it up with a spoon.

If something is mutual, why would damien according to someone who tlaked to him after one of the immediate shows following lisa departure, he looked at this person after the person asked "where is lisa". The person said damien's look suggested he didnt want to talk about it more. Does someone who mutually agreed with lisa that she should quit, is that acceptable behavior? does that indicate he and lisa both decided this together?

When Damien refuses to speak more about the situation in concert, is that the behavior of someone who kicked someone out or is it the behavior of someone who mutually decided with lisa she should leave? If it was mutual why wouldnt he just say "lisa and I felt she should pursue her solo career". What is wrong with saying that? Obviously its a problem for Damien to say.

Again, why did lisa even show up, if she quit the band? Why quit 30 minutes before the show? Why attend soundcheck? And why if this is mutual, why doesnt damien just say, "hey me and lisa decided that she wanted to make a solo record"?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

I don't understand what the question is. It's pretty clear Damien decided to go back to rocking out more, and Lisa doesn't fit with that musical style. Something happened in Munich that convinced him to make the change immediately. What don't we know other than why Lisa and Damien had a disagreement in Munich?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #30
cheguevara6
Eskimo Friend

I agree buddy. All we know is the official statement

DAMIEN DECIDED!!!

Thats the whole story right there. He told what happened in the statement.
Closed Thread