Eskimo Regular

um i cant listen to it
which is good cos ill be patient and wait now

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #92
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

I think some of the songs on this album require "the emotional depth" that was present on almost every song on 'O', but some of the songs quite frankly don't have the tone or need that aspect to it on this album in my opinion.

I think me my yoke and I sounds so similar to the juniper version in many ways. The thing that has improved with that song to me is the vocals. I do feel the emotion. And I love the electric guitar that was used in so many Juniper live songs and tracks that has been absent in Damien's live songs. Some of you probably know what I'm talking about...it's a very unique guitar sound that comes out at the end of this MMY&I track.

I think it's fair in some ways to compare it to 'O'...it's only natural, but I mean we all knew that it wouldn't be the same thing.

With Rootless Tree, first thing I thought at the beginning was that it lacked the same power of the live version...but do you notice it may be intentional in the beginning, because i feel it picks up with power and rawness in his vocals towards the middle and picks up at the end... thats just my take on it anyways.

I still hate 'Dogs'.

Love 'Grey Room'.

Sleep Don't Weep was a pleasant surprise...by the end of it I was satisfied with it as a closing. (I can't figure out if it is intentional of being similar to Cold Water...I'm leaning towards it is on purpose because of the lyrics and guitar...at least in the beginning)

I've loved '9 Crimes' on this album from the beginning.

'Accidental Babies'...well it is a bit slower but I'm having an open mind and I still love it.

'Coconut Skins' is awesome and has grown on me tremendously.

'Animals Were Gone' is easily one of my favorites at first listen.

'Elephant' is what I expected...maybe a bit disappointed but the end makes up for the bland beginning...but maybe its me hearing it so many times, twice live.

The B-side Rat Within the Grain is awesome. Surprised as how much I like this more than the live versions.

MySpace

Last edited by mickey13086; 10-23-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: add
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #93
Dangana
Eskimo Friend

Oh man, Thanks so much for posting this. Makes my day, week and almost month =)

If you use Firefox, it won't work. I have to use Internet Explorer.
Dangana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #94
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

i think the album is a beautiful thing! dogs is my fav so far, thats one of the ones i hadnt heard before an its so groovy! theres plenty of emotional depth for me, accidental babies is so deep you cant see the bottom!! and the 'nothin is lost, its just frozen in frost' bit from grey room is a hairs up on the back of the neck moment. round of applause fer damo!
Hot Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #95
Haina
Eskimo Friend

I love it--some pleasant surprises on this album like "Coconut Skins" and "Animals Were Gone." I still not very fond of "Me, My Yoke, and I" but maybe it will grow on me.

I really can't wait to have the album in my hands.
Haina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #96
eamo_rice
meh

Thanks so much for explaining the GMT thing, this is great! and im only half way through Nine Crimes
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #97
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

i love "dogs" / "girl that does yoga" it sounds so much better than i've ever heard ... and every single song on there !!! awesome just made my whole week !!!

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #98
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
Thanks so much for explaining the GMT thing, this is great! and im only half way through Nine Crimes
i agree! id have been goin crazeee otherwise. how on earth did you know to do that? r u a computer genius? an what is everyones fav song so far? and has anyone listened to the end bit the whole way through? its makin me go into a trance..........
Old 10-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #99
eamo_rice
meh

I have to say that I never liked BD2/Elephant (or The Blower's Daughter while we're on the subject :P), and was a bit annoyed (but not surprised) when he played it at every gig in the EP week and I realised it was due for the album. But having just heard the album version i change my mind. what a great track, much intenser than the live version and Rootless Tree as well.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #100
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
to the best of my knowledge, AOL doesn't even use WMP?
i thought that, but it kept giving me that error everytime i clicked on play. i have no clue. damn AOL. they were the bain of my existence when they were my isp, now they're at it again!

sod it. i'll just wait. it's only like 2, 3 weeks away? makes it all the more special!

My Band

My Usual Hangout
droovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #101
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by droovin
i thought that, but it kept giving me that error everytime i clicked on play. i have no clue. damn AOL. they were the bain of my existence when they were my isp, now they're at it again!

sod it. i'll just wait. it's only like 2, 3 weeks away? makes it all the more special!
come on droovin.. You got to try harder. lol..... Did you change the GMT ? You can do it.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice

Last edited by julia; 10-23-2006 at 10:32 PM.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #102
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia
come on droovin.. You got to try harder. You can do it.
i'm trying! but i don't know if i just want to wait. i have Yolk on my computer (not literally), and i love that. so i'll wait

and it's Drew

My Band

My Usual Hangout
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #103
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Okay Drew.. I understand.. Its cool to wait.. Me... I have no patience, and I just loved the album so much.. I'm Just excited. I think a few people are waiting, I can respect that..
Cheers.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 10-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #104
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thanks! what a surprise! love it!

Last edited by SilentNight; 10-23-2006 at 10:48 PM.
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #105
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia
Okay Drew.. I understand.. Its cool to wait.. Me... I have no patience, and I just loved the album so much.. I'm Just excited. I think a few people are waiting, I can respect that..
Cheers.
don't get me wrong, if it would have worked, i would have listened to it any time i was on the computer. but in previous experiences, that's worked out worse for me. the main reason i loved O was because it was such a surprise when i listened to it. i got it after hearing a live recording of Cannonball i think, and i was just blown away. so i kinda wanted to approach this album the same

saying that. i'm on a forum that just might have a leak in the next week or so. so i'm going to have a huge dilemma!!

My Band

My Usual Hangout
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #106
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
I have to say that I never liked BD2/Elephant (or The Blower's Daughter while we're on the subject :P), and was a bit annoyed (but not surprised) when he played it at every gig in the EP week and I realised it was due for the album. But having just heard the album version i change my mind. what a great track, much intenser than the live version and Rootless Tree as well.
i dunno, at the minute im thinkin the EP versions were better, when he sang the 'cus ive been lately....' bits he had loads of echo on his voice and it sounded HUGE! i wish he'd done the same here. the end bit sounds amazing tho.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #107
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Burrito
i dunno, at the minute im thinkin the EP versions were better, when he sang the 'cus ive been lately....' bits he had loads of echo on his voice and it sounded HUGE! i wish he'd done the same here. the end bit sounds amazing tho.

I think that might be whats doing it for me ... It just seemed so bare at EP and Vicar St with him singing on his own. This is better, with the whole band joining in at the climax.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #108
hi8is
Eskimo Baby

Default hola and hell yeah

came out from lurking in the shadows for this one and finally registered... this made my monday... ive listened to it 5 times through now at work and this 8 hour day flew by.... i love the album... im sure that as i get to know it more it will become a more intamate and close friend, as "O" is....

so far my favriote track is me, my yoke, and i.... i just wanna put this album on and turn off all the lights, light a candle, get some good head phones out, take a few vicoden and lay down all night with it =)
muhahahaha

great album, really enjoy it. only disapointment for me was that the 21 minute track turned out to be an 18 minute tabiten bowl experiment.... dont get me wrong, i like it, and the conotation of healing they are suposed to convey is also great... but i was looking foward to a 21 minute rice composition =)
hi8is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #109
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...YES!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #110
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

what a week
front row for bob dylan saturday night with my pop.
being awakened at 245am to news that the stream was up.
and eddie izzard weds thurs and friday nights!!!!

and "9" being streamed is the highlight by far
by far by far
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #111
mattside98
Eskimo Baby

I have to say. I've been a lurker on this page for about 2 years now. I felt that today was the day where I should come out of my shell and express my feelings towards the new album. I'm going to be completely honest. It surpassed each and every one of my expectations. I had heard the live songs, and I had loved them, but thought Damien could do better. But now that the songs are finished and mastered, I see that he had already written a consistent album that leads the listener to wonder how could he possibly top the next song, and amazingly enough, he finds a way to do it. From the moment "The Animals Were Gone" opens up I was hooked. Emotionally, this album is raw, full of sorrow, anger and regret, which makes it easy for the listener to relate to. I knew Damien could write beautiful songs. But I didn't know he could be just this good. I had kind of given up hope that this CD would ever be released. But now that it's here, I can only be thrilled as can be. Damien has done it again. Sure, this is not "O," but it doesn't have to be. If Damien made the same CD over and over again then how would he be different than all the other artists in the world? This is the perfect follow up. I could not be happier. I do hope people see the beauty in this disc in itself and not feel that they need to compare it to "O." It's not "O." To me, it's almost better. And I'm glad I finally made it to the board. It's been a long time in the making.

Last edited by mattside98; 10-24-2006 at 12:32 AM.
mattside98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 AM   #112
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattside98
I have to say. I've been a lurker on this page for about 2 years now. I felt that today was the day where I should come out of my shell and express my feelings towards the new album. I'm going to be completely honest. It surpassed each and every one of my expectations. I had heard the live songs, and I had loved them, but thought Damien could do better. But now that the songs are finished and mastered, I see that he had already written a consistent album that leads the listener to wonder how could he possibly top the next song, and amazingly enough, he finds a way to do it. From the moment "The Animals Were Gone" opens up I was hooked. Emotionally, this album is raw, full of sorrow, anger and regret, which makes it easy for the listener to relate to. I knew Damien could write beautiful songs. But I didn't know he could be just this good. I had kind of given up hope that this CD would ever be released. But now that it's here, I can only be thrilled as can be. Damien has done it again. Sure, this is not "O," but it doesn't have to be. If Damien made the same CD over and over again then how would he be different than all the other artists in the world? This is the perfect follow up. I could not be happier. I do hope people see the beauty in this disc in itself and not feel that they need to compare it to "O." It's not "O." To me, it's almost better. And I'm glad I finally made it to the board. It's been a long time in the making.
im with you all the way my eskimo friend! tonight is the first time ive been posting for exactly the same reason. it aint often you get to talk about albums that will prob be in peoples 'best ofs' for years to come so i think all the secret lurkers should come out and say what they think!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:53 AM   #113
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

ahhhh the lurkers are coming out of the woodwork.. run away!!

just kidding

damn you all sound so giddy like everyone's gone mad with joy lol

i haven't listened to it though.. i might later but right now i feel like i want to wait and not have any distractions etc..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:54 AM   #114
HOBBE5
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
After listening to the album multiple times I have to agree. There sure are
some great songs on there, no doubt But it's not yet blowing me away
like 'O' did. About Accidental Babies: I was immediately in love with the
live version(s), they sounded so pure. My problem with the studio recording
is that I'm not really feeling it. And trust me, I so hate to say that. Maybe
my anticipation for that song was a bit too high.

Elephant, though I already had that one, is still a great song, as is 'Animals'
(which is starting to grow on me). I've started to appreciate 9 crimes more as
well while listening to the song in the context of the album.

Furthermore: Grey Room and Sleep don't Weep, although it starts out a bit like
Cold Water (or is that just me), is also nice. I love the mellow ending with Lisa.
Your right that there are great songs on this album, but I felt after hearing "O" and a lot of Damo's live stuff, that this would have the same emotional depth. (which again, would've been better with the addition of Then Go)

For me, 9 doesn't have to be in any way, bigger and better than O, but I would've hoped that the same rich, heartbreaking, kick you in the gut feeling, that O had, would be in 9, but I get a lack of that, to be honest.

Last edited by HOBBE5; 10-24-2006 at 12:58 AM.
HOBBE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #115
Hot Burrito
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

just kidding

i haven't listened to it though.. i might later but right now i feel like i want to wait and not have any distractions etc..
i would defo recommend a lights down low, bottle of wine, and no distractions kinda vibe SisMid!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #116
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

just kidding

Melissa.. Yes relax with something good... Enjoy. I can't wait to hear your impression.
cheers sister.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 AM   #117
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

thanks jules, i'll do that i know it must be good because you all sound so pleased so i'll make a night of it when i do listen. cheers to you too hun

sounds like a good recommendation hot burrito man, thanks and welcome
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #118
Ashley
Eskimo Friend

I love the internet. Things like this are just amazing, I don't know how I could have gone without it until November. it's like sex and chocolate all rolled into one. I'm I allowed to say that? if not, sorry, but I'm sooo excited
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 AM   #119
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Talking

Oh my! Thanks so much for the link!

I knew this album would be amazing, but now that I've heard it, it's freakin' incredicle! It's SO NICE to actually here the studio versions of these songs - and I love the order of the tracks! I think the way he set things up is just brilliant.

But, I think I actually like some of the songs better in their live versions... it's a little strange to hear Lisa on Rootless Tree, and I think the live Me My Yoke and I has a bit more anger/urgency to it...

But I'm still loving the album Dogs turned out a lot better than I thought it would and The Animals Were Gone is absolutely delightful - "We can make Babies and accidental songs" - brilliant.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #120
brave
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Burrito
I really loved the delay/echo bit he had in the live version of this song and was really looking forward to how it would sound on the album.

But after hearing this incredibly stripped down version, I am thinking this actually suits it more. It sounds like an incredibly personal song and with the recording the way it is, with his breath so heavy (near the end especially) it really sounds more like him pouring his heart out.

Not to mention that he sounds like he is on the brink of tears through the entire song. And the ending really makes that more evident.

Elephant
Dogs
Coconut Skins
are my fav songs. Accidental Babies has to take a 4th seat. One of them has to be 4th, unfortunately.....
brave is offline   Reply With Quote