Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

Just wondering?

I'm one of those unfortunate souls who only discovered his music at Witnness last year-still, better late than never. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Where did so many of ye who've known him since he started find his music?Edited by: Michelle Joey
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
katinka
Eskimo Regular

i was waiting on a bus, sitting on a terrace of a music shop, in doolin, ireland. they played "other voices" and damien gave me the shivers!
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
bushy al
Eskimo Baby

saw him supportingthe frames sometime in may 2001,i was pretty stonedbut i managed to remember his name and checked him outafterwards. had to wait aboutfive months beforehe realised the blowers daughter single
Old 01-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

*cringes* I was sitting watching TV with my girlfriend one night and Damo's advert came on. Said girlfriend thought he was "quite fit" and bought the album. I listened. I stole said album and just about wore it out. Have my own copy now!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I was watching mtv2, and a Mtv2- Rolling Stone special called "10 artists to watch"came on and Damien was picked as one of them, they played blowers daughter, and the combo of him, the cello and Lisa's voice was completely intoxicating .. I downloaded some of his songs to see what they were like. I was hooked after that, I went down that morning and bought O[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I saw the video for Volcano on VH1 totally randomly and was completely captivated by Lisa's voice. So I was totally confused when the credits said Damien Rice [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] I thought she was the girl who sang backup on Blind Melon's Mouthful of Cavities. Anyway, I go to the CMJ music conference every year, and his name flew around there, so I decided to check him out. Thank goddess I did.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
tj
Phono Vox

I read about him in an Irish music magazine called Hotpress...I thought he sounded interesting so I bought "O"...I'm the biggest fan of Damien in my town now...!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
The Weatherman
Eskimo Regular

listening to phantom fm and heard blowers daughter
Old 01-15-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
Jarv
Eskimo Regular

Word of mouth first, then at witness i was standing talking to someone, about to go see Jesse Malin, and heard him do "Creep" and so made a mental note to check him out when i got home, and i did!!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

word of mouth back in 2001 from a friend of mine in dublin......haven't looked back since
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarv

Word of mouth first, then at witness i was standing talking to someone, about to go see Jesse Malin, and heard him do "Creep" and so made a mental note to check him out when i got home, and i did!!
Freaky thats the same as me!!Except the whole Jesse Malin thing,it was my moment of witnness '02[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Read about him in a college newspaper and heard the professor on Phantom soon after.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
tj
Phono Vox

Phantom Fm is great, isn't it?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:50 PM   #14
The Weatherman
Eskimo Regular

yeah it is, you know it tj?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #15
october
Eskimo Regular

heard of him from a girl who was going to his gig in cobhi and i said nah i wont bother but give me a loan of that album, and im still going mad that i didnt go,
waiting at the window,wondering what to do,im outside looking up at you, you close the curtin and im feeling blue,i walk the gutter,this week has been an utter blunder,hope we have some fun nxt summer
october is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #16
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weatherman
yeah it is, you know it tj?

Yea...but the fact that I live in Donegal doesn't help...!

I have to get it on the net...
Old 01-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #17
Angelo
Eskimo Baby

I am Italian but I'm living in Dublin since 2 years.
My sister is a music journalist and in september 2002 she asked me to buy 'O' here in Ireland. She had heard some ofDR mp3sbut she really did't know who he was. She thought it was just the name of the band and was not sure if the singer was a guy or a girl (Lisa). Very funny.
Since then she (and I) became addicted, a big fan, and spread the news among her friends into Italian music magazines.
Later I discovered that my best friend here had met DR before and was given a guitar from him. But that's another story...
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:05 PM   #18
neiller
Eskimo Regular

I first heard of him through deego the bear. or was it ferg?? anyway, aint someone gonna welcome me to the forum? ive watched from afar for so long and waited to make my entrance![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
neiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #19
digsy
Eskimo Regular

alright. This is actually how i first got to hear of damo's stuff. its a mad story.I was walking down a street in edinburgh a few years back when I saw a straggly lookin irish bloke busking.. I stood around watchin him for a while and then i was asking him about where he was from and so forth. At this stage i had no idea who damien rice was but he was staying near to the place where i was in scotland so i gradually got to know him over a few weks and the booze was flowing.. e used to jam a bit together and i remember thinking he was going to make it big.. We even did a joint gig in a hostel at one stage but we were both fairly hammered at the time. hes a great bloke but i havnt been in touch with him as much lately. I chatted with him upstairs before the vicar street gig in december and wished him well but i dont think hes quite as keen to start up a band with me anymore now that lisa is on board but im sure we'll jam again sometime on a drunken night out. Keep it real damo!

Digs
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #20
digsy
Eskimo Regular

welcome to the forum neiller
Old 01-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #21
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

This topic was discussed ">here were everyone introduced themselve and their stories to how they came to be Damo fans.

This is was my post back then. For those of you who were around then, this was back in my "script error" days! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
</font>
Quote:
Originally Posted by daol20
Im Daragh. 23 and a electronics engineering student. I first saw (and heard of) Damien Rice at Witnness'02, while i was waiting for "Badly Drawn Boy" to come on, and only caught the last 2 songs he played. Cant remember the 2nd last, but the last song was "The Blower's Daughter", and he blended the end into Radioheads "Creep", totally catching everyone out (well i didnt see it coming anyway!!). I couldnt get that song out of my head for the whole summer!! I went out and bought "O" and downloaded every mp3 i could get my hands on. I've loads of covers and unreleased stuff thats good enough for any album. The bloke is amazing, and i cant wait for Witnness'03!!

Love to hear that Glastonbury went well for him, and i now he'll keep getting bigger and bigger. I remember following Coldplay before they played Glastonbury and saw how they hit the big time and know it's gonna happen for Damo 2!!
&lt;SCRIPT language=javascript&gt;postamble();&lt;/SCRIPT&gt;
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #22
digsy
Eskimo Regular

cat got ur tongue young neiller??
Old 01-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #23
neiller
Eskimo Regular

sounds like your having a laugh mate! thanks for the welcome though. seems like you are the only polite one of the bunch!
Old 01-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #24
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

http://www.freecfm.com/d/damien/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9&KW=just+getting+the+ball+rol lin</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #25
digsy
Eskimo Regular

neiller you cheeky monkey sounds like the green eyed monsters back in town![img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #26
neiller
Eskimo Regular

daol, by the looks of things, me and disgy are new so you dont need to rub it in by telling us that this has been discussed before. a nice friendly hello would be sufficient!
Old 01-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #27
digsy
Eskimo Regular

daol what are you on about with that last mad message! are you a some sort of hypnotist?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #28
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Welcome to the site neiller!
btw: This is one of the most welcoming fan sites you'll find on the net! Maybe if you'd posted inn the "introduce yourself" section you'd have got a better response.</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #29
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Neiller wrote:
I first heard of him through deego the bear. or was it ferg?? anyway, aint someone gonna welcome me to the forum? ive watched from afar for so long and waited to make my entrance![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]</font>[/quote]

Welcome, welcome[img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #30
digsy
Eskimo Regular

go easy on him neiller hes got four stars to his name! do you have any gigs that you could mabe swap with me daol?